Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Similar to Wentz probably too great of a contract mess to really alter anything however Goff might be on the move from LA

That would make potentially 14-16 teams now wanting QBs or different QB options... WOW

Goff - let me look at him objectively beyond the contract.

1. He does not create and typically requires great protection from his OL. When he does, he throws darts but if his pocket is disrupted, lots of punts due to inaccurate throws. Bears flushed him out of the middle at least in his 2 starts vs him and the Patriots did a number on him in the SB. 

2. He thrives best when he has run support, not the kind to throw it 40-50 times a game and author comebacks.

3. California boy who does not like cold weather: Prior to Green Bay game - Jared Goff has played two NFL games with a kickoff temp below freezing in his career. He is 0-2 ATS with 0 pass TD's and 5 INT's.

4. Cost will be prohibitive.

OL and run support, we can provide but too many ???? surrounding what we get in return for his cost. Pass!!! I will take Rivers back for the coming year over Goff, and similarly Wentz. If I had to choose between Goff and Wentz, Wentz 100%

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

1. He does not create and typically requires great protection from his OL. When he does, he throws darts but if his pocket is disrupted, lots of punts due to inaccurate throws. Bears flushed him out of the middle at least in his 2 starts vs him and the Patriots did a number on him in the SB. 

2. He thrives best when he has run support, not the kind to throw it 40-50 times a game and author comebacks.

3. California boy who does not like cold weather: Prior to Green Bay game - Jared Goff has played two NFL games with a kickoff temp below freezing in his career. He is 0-2 ATS with 0 pass TD's and 5 INT's.

OL and run support, we can provide but too many ???? surrounding what we get in return for his cost. Pass!!! I will take Rivers back for the coming year over Goff, and similarly Wentz. If I had to choose between Goff and Wentz, Wentz 100%

Ok....let us know how you really feel....:lol:. For the record I never said I wanted Goff, I was just throwing it out there about how many QB question marks there might be heading into 2021. On the other hand after that brutal analysis, at least we know now that you are not related to Goff, unless you are that 2nd cousin that no longer is allowed to attend family gatherings at Mildred Goff's house.

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

So, I'll list you as a "maybe" on Jared Goff...:lol:

• Haha 3

Goff would cost us:

2021 - $28.825m - all guaranteed

2022 - $25.5m - $15.5m guaranteed

2023 - $25.5m - none guaranteed

2024 - $26m - none guaranteed

If Rams trade Goff they save $12m(ish) in cap space this year anr are off the hook for $15.5m Roster Bonus which is guaranteed for 2022. They have incentive to move him, but would have to likely attach compensation.

Saying all that, I think Im as not interested in him, as Im not in Wentz.

• Like 2

Goff is marginally better than Mitch Trubisky.. so no. Stafford is still the best trade target (besides Watson, not happening) and there's not a close second imo. I hear you Carr fans. I'd rather run Rivers out there again than do that.

Very few QB's at this point are really worth a 25 million cap hit for years into the future, but it's what the going rate is now.

• Like 3

I'm going to throw this out here and I fully expect to get eviscerated...but Jameis Winston is going to be a free agent and he is a name that hasn't been brought up. I know he's been a turnover machine but he's still only 27 years old and I would remind everyone that Manning's TD to INT numbers were almost as bad after their first 5 season(Manning 138-100, Winston 121-88). He will be dying for another chance to start and while Sean Payton has said a lot of positives about him being the future starter in New Orleans, they are going to have a mountain of salary cap problems. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Indeee said:

Similar to Wentz probably too great of a contract mess to really alter anything however Goff might be on the move from LA

That would make potentially 14-16 teams now wanting QBs or different QB options... WOW

were's the link please lol

Never been a Goff fan.   And if he hadn’t succeeded with Sean McVey, it’s hard to see him succeeding anywhere else.

The fact that McVey might be willing to move on from Goff is, in my opinion, a GIANT Red Flag!

Buyer Beware!    Hard pass! 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, ColtV said:

I'm going to throw this out here and I fully expect to get eviscerated...but Jameis Winston is going to be a free agent and he is a name that hasn't been brought up. I know he's been a turnover machine but he's still only 27 years old and I would remind everyone that Manning's TD to INT numbers were almost as bad after their first 5 season(Manning 138-100, Winston 121-88). He will be dying for another chance to start and while Sean Payton has said a lot of positives about him being the future starter in New Orleans, they are going to have a mountain of salary cap problems. 

Keep hearing Winston to Colts in media but not buying it...even PFF has jumped on board now https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/14/nfl-colts-bud-dupree-jamies-winston-free-agency-p

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Keep hearing Winston to Colts in media but not buying it...even PFF has jumped on board now https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/14/nfl-colts-bud-dupree-jamies-winston-free-agency-p

Its USA today, might possibly have worst sports writing in the country. Not just about this article.

Lets look at it though.

So we sign Rivers and Winston for $30m

Then the other 4 for $32.5m

Leaving us with $6m for rest of roster?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ColtV said:

$5m would obviously be great for a one year contract but I would be surprised if it would be that low. 

Yeah, Winston is going to be looking to cash in this year after taking a 1 million dollar salary for 2020. If I'm Pittsburg, I'm throwing an offer at him.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, w87r said:

Its USA today, might possibly have worst sports writing in the country. Not just about this article.

Lets look at it though.

Winston doesn’t strike me as a Colt.  

He doesn’t strike me as a Ballard guy, as a Reich guy.    Doesn’t strike me as a Decker guy or an Irsay guy.   There’s nothing from his history that says good fit with the Colts. 

• Like 3

I'd kick the tires on Goff. He's definitely a upgrade on what we currently have, lol, and think will be on a 2021 Rivers version. 

I'd prefer Wentz and probably Stafford. 

Winston is interesting...maybe our QB whisperer,  Reich,  can reduce his interceptions?  

Big Vertical passing game is what colts football is used to(Jones, George, Peyton,  luck) seeing. 

Could be a good fit for us if turnovers are reduced. 

2 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

were's the link please lol

If you are asking seriously, just check out roto, the item blurb regarding Goff is on there and PFT has it as well. If you are speaking of 14-16 potential teams that might need QBs they are: Falcons, Lions, Patriots, Colts, Steelers, Niners, Washington, Carolina, Bears, Saints, Raiders, Broncos, Giants, Eagles, Jaguars, Texans, Jets, Buccaneers, Rams... Now the Bucs, Falcons, Steelers, and Lions might be drafting for future. The Giants, Eagles, Texans, Jets, Rams, and Saints might stay with what they have. Either way a lot of moving pieces teams potentially

12 hours ago, w87r said:

Lets look at it though.

I can agree for the most part on that sentiment, but in this case, they're just talking about what PFF proposed for our FA signings. The point still remains that those predictions from PFF are poorly thought out.

• Like 1

Here’s an interesting one the Raiders are over the Cap and will most likely release Carr or Mariota to open up cap space.

If I’m reading it right Carr would save roughly 17 mil and Mariota would save 10 mil. 

overall I think Mariota would be a good addition to the QB room as a veteran or Carr could be a potential starter (even though it would have to be a trade to get him)

edit: Raiders are projected 18 million over

• Thanks 1

Goff's situation in LA isn't the same as Wentz's situation in Philly. 

The Rams have given Goff Sean Mcvay, Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Van Jefferson, Tyler Higbee, and Cam Akers. Oh not to mention he had Todd Gurley as well and a top 5 defense. If that's not enough to make him a great QB nothing well. 

Also, to the poster who said Goff would be an upgrade from Rivers. Can you show proof Goff is an upgrade? 

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Never been a Goff fan.   And if he hadn’t succeeded with Sean McVey, it’s hard to see him succeeding anywhere else.

The fact that McVey might be willing to move on from Goff is, in my opinion, a GIANT Red Flag!

Buyer Beware!    Hard pass! 

I have a memory of Dungy saying something similar about Jay Cutler when he went to Chicago. Why would Denver be willing to part with a franchise level QB, perhaps the most important position in all of sports. 

If he is in fact available I would proceed with caution. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

Here’s an interesting one the Raiders are over the Cap and will most likely release Carr or Mariota to open up cap space.

If I’m reading it right Carr would save roughly 17 mil and Mariota would save 10 mil. 

overall I think Mariota would be a good addition to the QB room as a veteran or Carr could be a potential starter (even though it would have to be a trade to get him)

edit: Raiders are projected 18 million over

They will definitely release Tyrell Williams, and will focus on re-signing Nelson Agholor. I doubt they release Carr. 

I'd kick the tires on Tyrell Williams for a 1 year deal if Rivers comes back.

22 hours ago, ColtV said:

Getting out the eviscerating tools...

• Haha 1