Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the Colts have contracted with Brady instead of Rivers?


Recommended Posts

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rivers washed up?? Did you watch the Colts this year? He put up good stats/played good and we went 11-5 and had Buffalo on the ropes. Your posts are starting to confuse me.

I watched him and he was a fence post out there that couldn't move at all. He has always put up numbers but he never won anything. We went 11-5 in spite of Rivers not because of him. We lost to Buffalo because we were completely outcoached. I will agree Rivers was better than I thought but he was nothing like Brady was for Tampa Bay....

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only mistake the Colts made with Brady is not drafting him in the 5th round in 2000 to back up Manning. 

Indy his first choice? Seems kinda doubtful that’s true... 

If the Colts defense forced 4 turnovers in the playoff game or stopped playing Jekyll and Hyde throughout the year, we might have been just as good as the Bucs in terms of results. 

1 minute ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I watched him and he was a fence post out there that couldn't move at all. He has always put up numbers but he never won anything. We went 11-5 in spite of Rivers not because of him. We lost to Buffalo because we were completely outcoached. I will agree Rivers was better than I thought but he was nothing like Brady was for Tampa Bay....

That fence post was far better than Newton

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You were referring to Weapons.     The post you replied to said,   "look who he has played for"

 

Guess I misread it, but I doubt he meant coaches

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He has had some decent weapons (of course Johnson was great) but their overall team has never been good with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 years. The team we have now in Indy can make a playoff run with Stafford, JMO. The Lions have never had a Line like we have, that makes a huge difference. Rivers isn't even mobile and rarely got sacked and had a good year.

 

Can we win with Stafford, sure, but long term do you see a super bowl with Stafford? My opinion no. I don't see that type of QB. He's a stat QB not a winning QB and there is no way I'm giving up a first round pick for him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Guess I misread it, but I doubt he meant coaches

I meant the organization in general which means who runs the team so @jvan1973 had it right. Because of the front office they have never really put a good team on the field with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 years in Stafford's career. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd honestly be afraid of Stafford having to much 'stink' on him from losing so much. I'm gonna assume he's a paycheck player at this point, show up and get paid.

 

If that carries over to another team remains to be seen of course. No guarantees he'd be reinvigorated to play elsewhere. 

 

That's my one big fear with him specifically.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Can we win with Stafford, sure, but long term do you see a super bowl with Stafford? My opinion no. I don't see that type of QB. He's a stat QB not a winning QB and there is no way I'm giving up a first round pick for him.

Name 1 QB we can win a SB with that will be available? I am going by best options, unless we get Watson somehow than winning a SB will be a long shot regardless who we get. Stafford would give us as good as chance as any. Who would be your top 3 options?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IinD said:

I'd honestly be afraid of Stafford having to much 'stink' on him from losing so much. I'm gonna assume he's a paycheck player at this point, show up and get paid.

 

If that carries over to another team remains to be seen of course. No guarantees he'd be reinvigorated to play elsewhere. 

 

That's my one big fear with him specifically.

He is getting paid only 9.5 mill a year next year. Wentz is the contract you stay away from.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Name 1 QB we can win a SB with that will be available? I am going by best options, unless we get Watson somehow than winning a SB will be a long shot regardless who we get. Stafford would give us as good as chance as any. Who would be your top 3 options?

 

Now? Dak if the cowboys let him go. Other then that, why bother going with vet QBs who yes can get us to the playoffs, but winning in the playoffs is different. We need long term success not a fill in til the real franchise QB is found. Realistically, Dak would be my number one choice if he's available. Two would be Trey Lance. Three Eason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CR91 said:

 

Now? Maybe Dak if the cowboys let him go. Other then that, why bother going with vet QBs who yes can get us to the playoffs, but winning in the playoffs is different. We need long term success not a fill in til the real franchise QB is found. Realistically, Dak would be my number one choice if he's available. Two would be Trey Lance. Three Eason.

I do like Trey Lance, he reminds me of a taller version of Watson. He is fast with a strong arm. If we get him I would be happy. Jerry will probably franchise Dak again.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Now? Dak if the cowboys let him go. Other then that, why bother going with vet QBs who yes can get us to the playoffs, but winning in the playoffs is different. We need long term success not a fill in til the real franchise QB is found. Realistically, Dak would be my number one choice if he's available. Two would be Trey Lance. Three Eason.

Dak isn't available 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Dak isn't available 

 

Hence why I said if he's available. Goodness. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He isn't going to be.   Jerry isn't letting him go

 

Jerry could have locked him up last year. Dak for all we know can play hardball again especially since how bad the cowboys were without him. Again I said if. It's not likely, but you never know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CR91 said:

 

Now? Dak if the cowboys let him go. Other then that, why bother going with vet QBs who yes can get us to the playoffs, but winning in the playoffs is different. We need long term success not a fill in til the real franchise QB is found. Realistically, Dak would be my number one choice if he's available. Two would be Trey Lance. Three Eason.

Also,   what has Dak done that makes you think we can win in the playoffs with him?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Also,   what has Dak done that makes you think we can win in the playoffs with him?

 

Unlike Stafford, he's been to the playoffs multiple times in his young career already and he's won and also almost beat aaron rodgers

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CR91 said:

 

Unlike Stafford, he's been to the playoffs multiple times in his young career and he's won and also beat aaron rodgers

Stafford has beat the Packers as well.  Not that that means anything.     

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Stafford has beat the Packers as well.  Not that that means anything.     

 

Not in the playoffs and not as a rookie as Dak almost did. Are you seriously trying to convince me Stafford is better then Dak?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CR91 said:

 

Not in the playoffs and not as a rookie as Dak almost did. Are you seriously trying to convince me Stafford is better then Dak?

Stafford and Dak are on par with each other, Jerry won't let Dak go so he will not be an option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Stafford and Dak are on par with each other, Jerry won't let Dak go so he will not be an option.

 

On par? Ok I can believe Dak isn't available, but for you to tell me Stafford is just as good as Dak is laughable.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

On par? Ok I can believe Dak isn't available, but for you to tell me Stafford is just as good as Dak is laughable.

What has Dak ever won and he has had a great O.Line, Dez in his prime for a couple of years, Cooper who is really good, and has had a top 5 RB in Elliott. Do you realize Stafford has had a season throwing for 5000 yards and almost had another. You say what has Stafford won, what has Dak won? You just don't like Stafford it is obvious now. I tried to have a nice discussion here but it is going nowhere so we will just disagree. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What has Dak ever won and he has had a great O.Line, Dez in his prime for a couple of years, Cooper who is really good, and has had a top 5 RB in Elliott. Do you realize Stafford has had a season throwing for 5000 yards and almost had another. You say what has Stafford won, what has Dak won? You just don't like Stafford it is obvious now. I tried to have a nice discussion here but it is going nowhere so we will just disagree. 

 

And all those 5000 yards, what has he accomplished in his career? Nothing. Oh and btw do you know who was leading the league in passing yards before he got hurt? Yup Dak.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I watched him and he was a fence post out there that couldn't move at all. He has always put up numbers but he never won anything. We went 11-5 in spite of Rivers not because of him. We lost to Buffalo because we were completely outcoached. I will agree Rivers was better than I thought but he was nothing like Brady was for Tampa Bay....

If you think Rivers had nothing to do with this team's success, then you're blind, and being a Rivers hater for no reason.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I have never liked River's game even in his best years. Great stats no marquis wins.

Because Rivers plays defense, special teams, running back and WR, right? So many years his team failed him. That's not really his fault.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I watched him and he was a fence post out there that couldn't move at all. He has always put up numbers but he never won anything. We went 11-5 in spite of Rivers not because of him. We lost to Buffalo because we were completely outcoached. I will agree Rivers was better than I thought but he was nothing like Brady was for Tampa Bay....

I’ll give Brady credit his arm still looks good in spite of his age compared to Brees and Rivers.  But I’m sorry right now you/we wish we had Rivers.  
 

Do you really think any QB brought in honestly gets the Colts better than 11-5 next year?  If so I’ve got some swamp land to sell you!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Beardog said:

I’ll give Brady credit his arm still looks good in spite of his age compared to Brees and Rivers.  But I’m sorry right now you/we wish we had Rivers.  
 

Do you really think any QB brought in honestly gets the Colts better than 11-5 next year?  If so I’ve got some swamp land to sell you!

Realistically maybe Stafford could get us to 11-5 and Watson would, other than that you are right :thmup:

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I watched him and he was a fence post out there that couldn't move at all. He has always put up numbers but he never won anything. We went 11-5 in spite of Rivers not because of him. We lost to Buffalo because we were completely outcoached. I will agree Rivers was better than I thought but he was nothing like Brady was for Tampa Bay....

Brady was throwing to Evan’s, Godwin, AB, and Gronk.  Arguably the best WR weapons in the NFL.  Who was Rivers throwing to?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Realistically maybe Stafford could get us to 11-5 and Watson would, other than that you are right :thmup:

My point is I don’t think people really appreciated Rivers and we will next year.  I doubt we get Stafford and I’m not convinced he’s better really.  11-5 with these receivers was pretty good.  Watching Phil for a while he was always going to have you in the game.

 

Would be nice having someone that’s more mobile and just hoping it’s not Brissett

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Because Rivers plays defense, special teams, running back and WR, right? So many years his team failed him. That's not really his fault.

People who have never actually watched him think this way.  Terrible defenses & terrible run games since 2010.  Terrible coaches. 
 

06 - Mcree fumbled a game ending INT

 07 - Torn ACL against a 16-0 team

08 - an 8-8 team that knocked off the 12-4 colts

09 - Kaeding missed 3 * FG

13 - coach calls nothing but running plays against the most high powered offense in the NFL.  Rivers gets them within 7.  Defense let’s Manning convert a 3rd and 18

18 - Defense allows 35 points in first half

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Beardog said:

My point is I don’t think people really appreciated Rivers and we will next year.  I doubt we get Stafford and I’m not convinced he’s better really.  11-5 with these receivers was pretty good.  Watching Phil for a while he was always going to have you in the game.

 

Would be nice having someone that’s more mobile and just hoping it’s not Brissett

Oh Rivers was good. I was for the signing from the beginning. I wish he would come back for 1 more year. I get your point, I was just pointing 2 QB's that could or would take us to 11-5 but that is not many which was my point.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, SpanosSucks said:

People who have never actually watched him think this way.  Terrible defenses & terrible run games since 2010.  Terrible coaches. 
 

06 - Mcree fumbled a game ending INT

 07 - Torn ACL against a 16-0 team

08 - an 8-8 team that knocked off the 12-4 colts

09 - Kaeding missed 3 * FG

13 - coach calls nothing but running plays against the most high powered offense in the NFL.  Rivers gets them within 7.  Defense let’s Manning convert a 3rd and 18

18 - Defense allows 35 points in first half

2006 game against the Pats they really won that game three times:  Mcree interception and fumble, Parker punt return fumble inside 10 and three and out late and I think Merriman late hits Brady all of which would have sealed the game 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2021 at 11:42 PM, SpanosSucks said:

Brady was throwing to Evan’s, Godwin, AB, and Gronk.  Arguably the best WR weapons in the NFL.  Who was Rivers throwing to?

I agree with that and I have said many times that this was not a true NFL receiving core. Brady was better than Rivers on the worst day he ever had. No comparison at all. One was a winner. The other has never won anything.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2021 at 7:47 PM, CR91 said:

Not sure you realize your link does NOT say what you claim it does. 
 

The link says Brady had interest in the Colts.

 

What it does NOT say is that the Colts were his top choice.  It doesn’t even hint or imply that.   Just that he had interest.  That’s not the same as being his top choice. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Not sure you realize your link does NOT say what you claim it does. 
 

The link says Brady had interest in the Colts.

 

What it does NOT say is that the Colts were his top choice.  It doesn’t even hint or imply that.   Just that he had interest.  That’s not the same as being his top choice. 

 

Did you read the bottom?

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes.   I don’t know what you’re referring to?  You’ll have to be more specific. 

 

It said the two wanted to work out a deal, but they couldn't agree on the contract terms and length

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

It said the two wanted to work out a deal, but they couldn't agree on the contract terms and length

Where?   Where did it say that?  
 

I’ve looked for a third time now and still don’t see what you posted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Where?   Where did it say that?  

 

Read between the lines. Colts wanted a shorter deal. Brady wanted two years and probably control over certain roster moves. They couldn't come to an agreement.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I think some of that and why he has regressed is because of that ACL injury. That is a confidence issue with him now. He wants to keep that toe bent so if he gets hit in the leg, it will bend the way it needs to. He's got to trust again. That's why he made a lot of those bad throws this year because he didn't trust his line to protect him.   Godspeed young man.
    • Bengals Round 1 Draft History: 2020 QB Joe Burrow – Torn ACL/MCL IR 2019 LT Jonah Williams – PUP Torn Labrum left shoulder 2018 C Billy Price – Foot injury missed 6 games – no longer starter 2017 WR John Ross – IR knee injury 2016 DB William Jackson – torn pectoral muscle IR 2015 OT Cedric Ogbuehi – entered camp with prior ACL injury – decline 5th year   Seems to me someone broke a mirror and the Bengals are having 7 years of bad luck drafting players in Round 1.  In 2014 DB Darqueze Dennard was healthy scratch most of the season.   Colts trade C Ryan Kelly to Bengals get R1P5 and Cincy gets Colts R5P148 Colts trade R1P21 to GB R1P29 (160) get GB R3P92 (132) and GB R5P156 (27.8)   Bengals                                Colts                                                      Packers                                             R1P5 (CIN-IND)                                     R1P21 (IND-GB) R1P29 (GB- IND)                                               R2P38 - RT                          R2P54                                                    R2P62 R3P70                                  R3P92 (GB-IND)                                R4P101                                R4P117                                                 R4P125 R5P132                                R5P156 (GB-IND)                             R5P148 (IND-CIN) P6P165                                R6P180                                                 R6P188 R7P195                                R7P211                                                 R7P218 R7P197   Restructured Contracts Grover Stewart, Jack Doyle, Kenny Moore II   FA Additions: QB Carson Wentz FS Marcus Williams 16m MLB Jayon Brown 6m TE Hunter Henry 11.5m   Draft R1P5 (CIN-IND) - LT Charles Darrisaw (VT) R1P29 (GB- IND) - C Landon Dickerson (Alabama) R2P54 - WR Nico Collins (Michigan) R3P92 (GB-IND) – DE Jordan Smith (UAB) played both edges R4P117 RDE Wyatt Hubert (Kansas St) R5P156 (GB-IND) – C Ryan McCollum (Texas AM) R6P180 OT Grant Hermanns (Purdue) R7P211 RB Gerrid Doaks (Cincy)   QB Carson Wentz, Jacob Eason RB Jonathan Taylor, Gerrid Doaks, Nyheim Hines, Jordan Wilkins WR T.Y. Hilton, Nico Collins, Zach Pascal, DeMichael Harris WR Michael Pitman Jr., Ashton Dulin, J.J. Nelson, Quartney Davis WR Parris Campbell, Dezmon Patmon, Gary Jennings TE Hunter Henry, Jack Doyle, Mo Alie-Cox, Noah Togiai LT Charles Darrisaw, Grant Hermanns LG Quenton Nelson, Joey Hunt C Landon Dickerson, Ryan McCollum RG Mark Glowinski, Jake Eldrenkamp RT Branden Smith, Danny Pinter, Will Holden   LDE Ben Banogu, Jordan Smith, Kemoko Turay LDT DeForest Buckner, Tyquan Lewis RDT Grover Stewart, Taylor Stallworth RDE Al-Quadin Muhammad, Wyatt Hubert WLB Darius Leonard, Matthew Adams MLB Jayon Brown, Zaire Franklin, Jordan Glasgow SLB Bobby Okereke, E.J. Speed LCB Rock Ya-Sin, Kenny Moore II, Isaiah Rogers SS Khari Willis, Tavon Wilson, Rolan Miligan FS Marcus Williams, Julian Blackmon, George Odum, Ibraheim Campbell RCB Xavier Rhodes, T.J. Carrie, Marvell Tell III, Tremon Smith
    • Not sure if we're better, but I think we have more hope. I for one, am just happy we checked the box. And I'm growing more confident it works out.
    • Not sure if it was ever a "character" issue. Sounds more like attitude to me. Purely my opinion, but he's a smart guy, has likely read everything written about him, and knows he needs to embrace this chance. If he chokes at Indy, he's likely done. Hoping he's self aware, and comes in with a fresh perspective and attitude. Regardless, I'm not sure fixing him, is really a monumental task the more I read, and the more I think about things. If his mechanics fell apart in one year, he should be able to fix them in an offseason. Sounds like he just got sloppy, and that was compounded by a lot of external things. Or one could say a lot of external things created a negative situation, and he became sloppy (perhaps stopped caring).   Whatever it is/was, I'm just not near as worried as I once was. Like I said, I think he'll return to at minimum 2019 form, and not sure Reich will have a lot to do with it. I think the freshness (new team, new city) will create a new attitude. And the OL and overall quality of the team in Indy will resonate.   I think I'm back to being more concerned about Reich lol... I don't buy all the QB whisperer stuff. Sure he's had musical chairs to deal with, but overall I credit his conservative scheme more than anything. And that's great when you're working with chaos or musical chairs. Not sure it'll be good enough to go deep once the chaos and musical chairs stop.
    • With some of the stuff that was going on with the Eagles it's not unreasonable of me to think it didn't have an effect on the whole QB/coaches/GM relationships with each other. And none of it being good for the team. Regardless I am not going to point a finger at anybody. I don't care. All I care about is from now forward.  IMO we are a better team right now that we were a few days ago.   
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...