Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the Colts have contracted with Brady instead of Rivers?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only mistake the Colts made with Brady is not drafting him in the 5th round in 2000 to back up Manning. 

Indy his first choice? Seems kinda doubtful that’s true... 

If the Colts defense forced 4 turnovers in the playoff game or stopped playing Jekyll and Hyde throughout the year, we might have been just as good as the Bucs in terms of results. 

58 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I did.  Irsay was apparently all for it for awhile.  It was after Brady came off the market that Irsay started making a full court press on Rivers.

I have a hard time believing Tom would want to come here after deflategate.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't say he did.  I said Irsay wanted it.   That said there was at least one rumor that Brady came here at Irsay's invitation before he signed with Tampa.  Probably just doing due dilligence but still, there it is.

 

That said, given the situation at the time the Colts were an above average landing place for Brady, and I hope people don't let their antipathy for the man blind them to the fact that he would have been an enormous asset for us

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I didn't say he did.  I said Irsay wanted it.   That said there was at least one rumor that Brady came here at Irsay's invitation before he signed with Tampa.  Probably just doing due dilligence but still, there it is.

 

That said, given the situation at the time the Colts were an above average landing place for Brady, and I hope people don't let their antipathy for the man blind them to the fact that he would have been an enormous asset for us

The OP said Brady had interest in coming here.   I just don't buy it

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

The OP said Brady had interest in coming here.   I just don't buy it

 

Did you not read the article I sent you

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I did.   It's a rumor.   I don't buy it

 

To each his own then

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

After deflategate,  why in the world would he want to come here?    

Don't worry, after Tom gets crushed this week by GB the same people that say they would rather have him over Rivers won't say a word lmao . Put us in the NFC and we would be in the final 4 with Rivers. The NFC is weak.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

The OP said Brady had interest in coming here.   I just don't buy it

Be as skeptical as you like.  I know what I read.  He came out once, at Irsay's invitation, he was at the Colts' practice facility, and then a couple weeks later he signed with TB.  That's the facts, the rest is a question of how you connect the dots.

 

Probably he was just maximizing his bargaining position with Tampa, but there's more juice to this one than most of the offseason rumors that filter around in a thread like this .

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

After deflategate,  why in the world would he want to come here?    

 

Get back at BB for always taking all the credit

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Be as skeptical as you like.  I know what I read.  He came out once, at Irsay's invitation, he was at the Colts' practice facility, and then a couple weeks later he signed with TB.  That's the facts, the rest is a question of how you connect the dots.

 

Probably he was just maximizing his bargaining position with Tampa, but there's more juice to this one than most of the offseason rumors that filter around in a thread like this .

I think the irsay meeting was also a rumor.  I can't find any article on it

Link to post
Share on other sites

Brady had much better O weapons that PR, a much better offensive play caller, and still rated worse than PR in a lot of areas. 

 

Just not sure there would have been much difference, if at all. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

After deflategate,  why in the world would he want to come here?    

Ryan Grigson is gone; he is the guy who alerted the NFL director of football operations, not Ballard, not Reich. Tis a whole new regime. 

 

And maybe because he thought he could win with the franchise, and maybe -- dont know if he feels this way --  stick it NE and/or BB. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just couldn't do it....I mean, I respect his career and talent...but I just couldn't....... its like inviting Satan to the church fish fry, putting him in a suit and tie doesn't make him a better person, he is still the devil after all lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Brady had much better O weapons that PR, a much better offensive play caller, and still rated worse than PR in a lot of areas. 

 

Just not sure there would have been much difference, if at all. 

Really?? 

 

This is the stuff you don't hear about.. "Tampa is in the NFC Title game because of Tom!" "He didn't have training camp to get used to his new role with new team-mates".. "All pro Antonio Brown coming in mid season threw the offense off"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Really?? 

 

This is the stuff you don't hear about.. "Tampa is in the NFC Title game because of Tom!" "He didn't have training camp to get used to his new role with new team-mates".. "All pro Antonio Brown coming in mid season threw the offense off"

 

I know, right. Poor guy.... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2021 at 5:55 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If you think Championship or bust every year you will be disappointed 99% of the time, we only won 1 with Peyton. Why some in here think it is easy to win a SB is mindboggling. Peyton and Luck's don't grow on tree's and Rivers was good this year in reality. You think some in here aren't happy with Rivers, try starting a rookie or Eason? That could be a nightmare. This season was fun, all being negative does is make a person miserable.

Never said winning a SB was easy, and actually was probably the first poster in here that suggested we sign him, and was dismissed by most of the self proclaimed elite members in here.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

Never said winning a SB was easy, and actually was probably the first poster in here that suggested we sign him, and was dismissed by most of the self proclaimed elite members in here.   

I wanted Rivers as well. I just quoted you but that quote was directed at mainly others. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

I say we go after Stafford.  I think he is are best option at this point to maximize our value on our oline.

 

You're willing to give up our first round pick because I'm sure not especially for someone who's never won a playoff game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Look who has played for all these years. He would win some playoff games here.

 

He had Calvin Johnson for most of his career. Golladay, Tate, and Marvin Jones are not scrubs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CR91 said:

 

He had Calvin Johnson for most of his career. Golladay, Tate, and Marvin Jones are not scrubs.

Played for,  not with.     Caldwell was easily the best coach he has had

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Played for,  not with.     Caldwell was easily the best coach he has had

 

What are you talking about? We were referring to his weapons.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Colts can sign Cam Newton to a reasonable contract and not lose any draft picks. Cam has been to a Super Bowl. He is hungry. He would look great behind that line and he still has a cannon for an arm. He was up and down in New England after being off but he is ready to play. I say sign him up and use the draft picks to get some better targets for him. He is just coming into his prime.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CR91 said:

 

He had Calvin Johnson for most of his career. Golladay, Tate, and Marvin Jones are not scrubs.

He has had some decent weapons (of course Johnson was great) but their overall team has never been good with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 years. The team we have now in Indy can make a playoff run with Stafford, JMO. The Lions have never had a Line like we have, that makes a huge difference. Rivers isn't even mobile and rarely got sacked and had a good year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

The Colts can sign Cam Newton to a reasonable contract and not lose any draft picks. Cam has been to a Super Bowl. He is hungry. He would look great behind that line and he still has a cannon for an arm. He was up and down in New England after being off but he is ready to play. I say sign him up and use the draft picks to get some better targets for him. He is just coming into his prime.

Nah, I would pass. He hasn't been the same for years. After his great 2015 season but losing the SB and then being injured off and on, he looks done to me. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

What are you talking about? We were referring to his weapons.

You were referring to Weapons.     The post you replied to said,   "look who he has played for"

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nah, I would pass. He hasn't been the same for years. After his great 2015 season but losing the SB and then being injured off and on, he looks done to me. 

Did you watch his games this year? He looked strong, his arm was strong but he didn't have much in the way of weapons to play with. He would be a high ceiling and low risk selection. You get to keep all of the draft picks. He is certainly better than Phillip Rivers ever was and he has the accolades to prove it. I can see that running game being just about unstoppable with him at QB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

The Colts can sign Cam Newton to a reasonable contract and not lose any draft picks. Cam has been to a Super Bowl. He is hungry. He would look great behind that line and he still has a cannon for an arm. He was up and down in New England after being off but he is ready to play. I say sign him up and use the draft picks to get some better targets for him. He is just coming into his prime.

Newton is done

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jvan1973 said:

Newton is done

I didn't see a washed up QB (that was Rivers). I saw one that needed work, joined the team at the last minute and had some truly great moments. But give up those draft picks for a high risk rookie if that is what you want. I could see using them to make the whole team better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Did you watch his games this year? He looked strong, his arm was strong but he didn't have much in the way of weapons to play with. He would be a high ceiling and low risk selection. You get to keep all of the draft picks. He is certainly better than Phillip Rivers ever was and he has the accolades to prove it. I can see that running game being just about unstoppable with him at QB.

I disagree that he would've been a better choice than Rivers. Cam isn't the same player he was earlier in his career.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Thebrashandthebold said:

I didn't see a washed up QB (that was Rivers). I saw one that needed work, joined the team at the last minute and had some truly great moments. But give up those draft picks for a high risk rookie if that is what you want. I could see using them to make the whole team better.

Rivers was far and away better than Newton this year.   It isn't close.   8 tds and 10 picks

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I didn't see a washed up QB (that was Rivers). I saw one that needed work, joined the team at the last minute and had some truly great moments. But give up those draft picks for a high risk rookie if that is what you want. I could see using them to make the whole team better.

Rivers washed up?? Did you watch the Colts this year? He put up good stats/played good and we went 11-5 and had Buffalo on the ropes. Your posts are starting to confuse me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Here is my most updated version...   Ballard trades 21st overall pick to NO for their 28th overall, and late 2nd round pick. (They make a move up for Mac Jones or Trask in this scenario.)    Round 1 Pick 28 (N.O.): Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina - I would love to get Horn as our future #1 corner on this team. He has some Gilmore to his game and is a big physical corner which Ballard will love. Corner is such a big need longterm as Rhodes is up in age and Rock is no sure thing to stick with the team for the long haul.  Round 2 Pick 22: Jalen Mayfield, OT, Michigan - Mayfield has the athleticism to play both RT and LT. He hopefully would be capable of challenging to start immediately at LT, and having Big Q next to him will help him out along the way. Round 2 Pick 28 (N.O.): Joseph Ossai, DE/OLB, Texas - A very good overall DE here, in the mold of a Justin Houston. He is great at setting the edge, along with getting pressure as well. He may never be a dominant pass rusher, but playing alongside Buckner will help him get his double digit sacks. Round 4 Pick 22: Alim McNeill, DT, North Carolina State - Yes we already have Grover Stewart at NT, but having another great player to rotate in with both Buckner and him would be beneficial. And forget about teams running on them in goal line situations with Stewart, McNeill, and Buckner all on the field.    Round 5 Pick 21: Amari Rodgers, WR, Clemson - Ballard always seems to draft at least one Senior Bowl player, and I have a feeling Rodgers could be one of those guys. He is sneaky in finding ways to get open and find holes in the defense. He would make for a good slot WR if Campbell can't stay healthy.   Round 6 Pick 21: Marlon Williams, WR, Central Florida  - This guy reminds me of a poor man's AJ Brown. He has the size and after the catch ability to be a threat in the passing game. Round 7 Pick 21: Robert Hainsey, OT/OG, Notre Dame - Simply a depth pick here who can play both G and RT if desperate.  
    • He went roughly 4-6 weeks without speaking with his head coach.   Wentz doesn’t appear to connect all that well with fellow teammates.  He’s a little shy, quiet and maybe reserved.   Yes, if he plays great, the rest will matter less, but it will still matter.    Because QB is the most important position on any team,  leadership is a natural part of the job description.  It comes with the job.  Hopefully the exceptional culture on the team will help bring out the best in Wentz in and off the field.... 
    • Hasn't really accomplished anything to be deserving of a # he wants. Need to show me the money!
    • So Smith wants to play, and he wants a chance to win. So he should sign with a team where his best chance of playing is if the team benches their starter at the end of the season because they're not going to make the playoffs... ???   I'd love to have Alex Smith as our backup, but I don't think this is even close to the kind of situation he'll be looking for. I think San Francisco, potentially Houston, the Jets, Dolphins, Broncos, Bears, all offer better opportunities for Smith to start. And there are a ton of teams that have legitimate playoff aspirations in 2021, including teams from that list.    If he wants to be a legitimate veteran backup on a good team, knowing that the better the team does, the less likely it is that he'll actually see the field, the Colts would be a great fit. But I don't think that's what he wants.   And that's before we even talk about the money.
    • Right now, those three cost ~$13M/year. After this, they will cost 4x that amount.   They deserve it...and will get it...but the cap situation is going to get very complicated with a QB under contract as well (if Wentz pans out). I don't envy Ballard and Bluem here.   Me personally...I would be very interested in at least finding out what type of premium draft capital I might be able to get for one of those players. Not saying I am looking to trade them at all...but there's more than one way to play it going forward and Ballard will explore options. It is just very difficult to outspend every team on the OL and carry a top 10 QB salary (if Wentz plays well enough to get extended) for an extended period.    
  • Members

    • Flash7

      Flash7 1,107

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • BProland85

      BProland85 1,388

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ztboiler

      ztboiler 302

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Hammer

      Hammer 163

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Onthefence

      Onthefence 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Superman

      Superman 9,190

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Orioles22

      Orioles22 285

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • stitches

      stitches 8,036

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Fluke_33

      Fluke_33 2,609

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Zoltan

      Zoltan 547

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...