Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the Colts have contracted with Brady instead of Rivers?

CR91

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I did.  Irsay was apparently all for it for awhile.  It was after Brady came off the market that Irsay started making a full court press on Rivers.

I have a hard time believing Tom would want to come here after deflategate.   

I didn't say he did.  I said Irsay wanted it.   That said there was at least one rumor that Brady came here at Irsay's invitation before he signed with Tampa.  Probably just doing due dilligence but still, there it is.

That said, given the situation at the time the Colts were an above average landing place for Brady, and I hope people don't let their antipathy for the man blind them to the fact that he would have been an enormous asset for us

6 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I didn't say he did.  I said Irsay wanted it.   That said there was at least one rumor that Brady came here at Irsay's invitation before he signed with Tampa.  Probably just doing due dilligence but still, there it is.

That said, given the situation at the time the Colts were an above average landing place for Brady, and I hope people don't let their antipathy for the man blind them to the fact that he would have been an enormous asset for us

The OP said Brady had interest in coming here.   I just don't buy it

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

The OP said Brady had interest in coming here.   I just don't buy it

Be as skeptical as you like.  I know what I read.  He came out once, at Irsay's invitation, he was at the Colts' practice facility, and then a couple weeks later he signed with TB.  That's the facts, the rest is a question of how you connect the dots.

Probably he was just maximizing his bargaining position with Tampa, but there's more juice to this one than most of the offseason rumors that filter around in a thread like this .

25 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Be as skeptical as you like.  I know what I read.  He came out once, at Irsay's invitation, he was at the Colts' practice facility, and then a couple weeks later he signed with TB.  That's the facts, the rest is a question of how you connect the dots.

Probably he was just maximizing his bargaining position with Tampa, but there's more juice to this one than most of the offseason rumors that filter around in a thread like this .

I think the irsay meeting was also a rumor.  I can't find any article on it

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

After deflategate,  why in the world would he want to come here?    

Ryan Grigson is gone; he is the guy who alerted the NFL director of football operations, not Ballard, not Reich. Tis a whole new regime. 

And maybe because he thought he could win with the franchise, and maybe -- dont know if he feels this way --  stick it NE and/or BB. 

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Brady had much better O weapons that PR, a much better offensive play caller, and still rated worse than PR in a lot of areas. 

Just not sure there would have been much difference, if at all. 

Really?? 

This is the stuff you don't hear about.. "Tampa is in the NFC Title game because of Tom!" "He didn't have training camp to get used to his new role with new team-mates".. "All pro Antonio Brown coming in mid season threw the offense off"

4 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Really?? 

This is the stuff you don't hear about.. "Tampa is in the NFC Title game because of Tom!" "He didn't have training camp to get used to his new role with new team-mates".. "All pro Antonio Brown coming in mid season threw the offense off"

I know, right. Poor guy.... 

On 1/18/2021 at 5:55 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If you think Championship or bust every year you will be disappointed 99% of the time, we only won 1 with Peyton. Why some in here think it is easy to win a SB is mindboggling. Peyton and Luck's don't grow on tree's and Rivers was good this year in reality. You think some in here aren't happy with Rivers, try starting a rookie or Eason? That could be a nightmare. This season was fun, all being negative does is make a person miserable.

Never said winning a SB was easy, and actually was probably the first poster in here that suggested we sign him, and was dismissed by most of the self proclaimed elite members in here.   

3 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

I say we go after Stafford.  I think he is are best option at this point to maximize our value on our oline.

You're willing to give up our first round pick because I'm sure not especially for someone who's never won a playoff game.

The Colts can sign Cam Newton to a reasonable contract and not lose any draft picks. Cam has been to a Super Bowl. He is hungry. He would look great behind that line and he still has a cannon for an arm. He was up and down in New England after being off but he is ready to play. I say sign him up and use the draft picks to get some better targets for him. He is just coming into his prime.

12 hours ago, CR91 said:

He had Calvin Johnson for most of his career. Golladay, Tate, and Marvin Jones are not scrubs.

He has had some decent weapons (of course Johnson was great) but their overall team has never been good with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 years. The team we have now in Indy can make a playoff run with Stafford, JMO. The Lions have never had a Line like we have, that makes a huge difference. Rivers isn't even mobile and rarely got sacked and had a good year.

3 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

The Colts can sign Cam Newton to a reasonable contract and not lose any draft picks. Cam has been to a Super Bowl. He is hungry. He would look great behind that line and he still has a cannon for an arm. He was up and down in New England after being off but he is ready to play. I say sign him up and use the draft picks to get some better targets for him. He is just coming into his prime.

Nah, I would pass. He hasn't been the same for years. After his great 2015 season but losing the SB and then being injured off and on, he looks done to me. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nah, I would pass. He hasn't been the same for years. After his great 2015 season but losing the SB and then being injured off and on, he looks done to me. 

Did you watch his games this year? He looked strong, his arm was strong but he didn't have much in the way of weapons to play with. He would be a high ceiling and low risk selection. You get to keep all of the draft picks. He is certainly better than Phillip Rivers ever was and he has the accolades to prove it. I can see that running game being just about unstoppable with him at QB.

10 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Newton is done

1 minute ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Did you watch his games this year? He looked strong, his arm was strong but he didn't have much in the way of weapons to play with. He would be a high ceiling and low risk selection. You get to keep all of the draft picks. He is certainly better than Phillip Rivers ever was and he has the accolades to prove it. I can see that running game being just about unstoppable with him at QB.

I disagree that he would've been a better choice than Rivers. Cam isn't the same player he was earlier in his career.

Just now, Thebrashandthebold said:

I didn't see a washed up QB (that was Rivers). I saw one that needed work, joined the team at the last minute and had some truly great moments. But give up those draft picks for a high risk rookie if that is what you want. I could see using them to make the whole team better.

Rivers was far and away better than Newton this year.   It isn't close.   8 tds and 10 picks

1 minute ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I didn't see a washed up QB (that was Rivers). I saw one that needed work, joined the team at the last minute and had some truly great moments. But give up those draft picks for a high risk rookie if that is what you want. I could see using them to make the whole team better.

Rivers washed up?? Did you watch the Colts this year? He put up good stats/played good and we went 11-5 and had Buffalo on the ropes. Your posts are starting to confuse me.

Archived