Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the Colts have contracted with Brady instead of Rivers?

No, I think Tampa Bay has had a heck of a year but I think it ends next week. They played in a weaker conference than we did and Rivers put up good enough numbers for us to win 11 games and play even with Buffalo in the playoffs. If we were in the NFC I am not so sure we wouldn't be in the Title Game playing GB. 

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only mistake the Colts made with Brady is not drafting him in the 5th round in 2000 to back up Manning. 

Indy his first choice? Seems kinda doubtful that’s true... 

If the Colts defense forced 4 turnovers in the playoff game or stopped playing Jekyll and Hyde throughout the year, we might have been just as good as the Bucs in terms of results. 

No,

Tampa Bay made sure Tom was set up nice.  He has way more weapons than us.  I'd say the defense is on par but Bucs made moves.  

Bucs are in win now mode, we are not.  We are in a rebuild but still competitive phase.  

• Like 5

I love this team, but this year was a little bit of an all or nothing year that needed things to shake down the right way for us to win it. I think the window is closed for another 2-3 years now as we cant keep paying some of the older guys in key positions (especially at pass rush with Autry and Houston) while still building for the future.

We are an answer at QB, some solid pass rush starters and, as of right now, two solid starting CBs and another solid starting WR and TE away from this being a complete team that can complete for a Superbowl. (Edit: Oh and of course throw a starting LT into that equation as well).

If all of that gets answered in one offseason, with the cap the way it is and the amount of guys we need to re-sign, then Ballard is a freakin miracle worker. I think we'll still be a competitive and good team that on the right day can play with anyone, but a Superbowl winning team, probably not.

Let's see where we are at in 2023/2024 on that front.

6 hours ago, ojsglove said:

WOW  I thought we were in all in mode??  Truth is we are in some trouble next year.  I think Rivers was Rivers and done what he has done his whole career, Thank you Phillip, you got us to the playoffs, and silenced the mob, for another season.  We have free agents that will want raises if we want them to play for us next season.  Our current system is not going to work.  we payed our current backup QB 10 million this season for being a good  locker room guy?  Frank is not going to coach us to the ring. Chris is great at drafting talent, but doesn't seem to have much say, so on how we retain them.  Jim, I think you are the best owner in the NFL, but your hope of drafting another Peyton, or Andrew, to right the Horse is futile at best.

I hope I am totally wrong, but  I am a COLTS fan, and this is MHO.

If you think Championship or bust every year you will be disappointed 99% of the time, we only won 1 with Peyton. Why some in here think it is easy to win a SB is mindboggling. Peyton and Luck's don't grow on tree's and Rivers was good this year in reality. You think some in here aren't happy with Rivers, try starting a rookie or Eason? That could be a nightmare. This season was fun, all being negative does is make a person miserable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, CR91 said:

Rumor has it Brady's first choice was indy, but the colts didn't want to give him a contract over one year. Truth is I'm not really sure, but with the Bucs making the NFC championship, it's an interesting question.

Nope. I don’t care if he wins 10 more rings with the Bucs. I don’t what that trash anywhere near this team. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Nope. I don’t care if he wins 10 more rings with the Bucs. I don’t what that trash anywhere near this team. 

As much as we might not like Brady around these parts.... Imagine calling him "trash".... If he wins the superbowl with the Bucs, he cements his status as the GOAT and not just a product of BB in New England.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

As much as we might not like Brady around these parts.... Imagine calling him "trash".... If he wins the superbowl with the Bucs, he cements his status as the GOAT and not just a product of BB in New England.

He sold out to go to Tampa. He knew NEs cap situation and sailed ship. He went to a good young D in an easier conference. And signed a rapist for another weapon.  

• Confused 1
8 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The latest mock had Lance going to Detroit and Jones falling to Chicago at 32

Well-conceived mock drafts have their value.  But, even in the very best of cases, that value is extremely limited.

They exist for entertainment purposes and should be received as such.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

He sold out to go to Tampa. He knew NEs cap situation and sailed ship. He went to a good young D in an easier conference. And signed a rapist for another weapon.  

If the Colts did sign Brady we would have I had to add a few pieces and go into win now mode instead of being great long term. Even if it wasnt Brady or Rivers I'm glad we didn't sell out for a year or two of glory.

The topic of this thread is disingenuous. Its originator is suggesting the Colts playoff implosion is on Rivers. But the reality is that Rivers did what he was hired to do all year, including in the playoff game. Rivers did not let the Colts down. It was the rest of the team that failed him ang its fans. There was a 33 yard field goal that should've been made and wasn't. .Five or six perfectly thrown passes that were dropped and 4 points left on the board by a coach who wouldn't  kick a field goal when he could and who went for two points after a td when he should've stayed with one. Tom Brady rarely, if ever, has had to deal with ineprifude on the teams of which he has been a member. For Rivers, it was a problem for years in SD. And it was again in 2020.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
41 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Cheater and a liar. This “might” be the first ring he gets without controversy 

1 hour ago, smittywerb said:

No,

Tampa Bay made sure Tom was set up nice.  He has way more weapons than us.  I'd say the defense is on par but Bucs made moves.  

Bucs are in win now mode, we are not.  We are in a rebuild but still competitive phase.  

Correct and that phase stinks. The phase where the only QB you have on the roster is a 2nd year 4th rd project. I’m glad someone else sees this. Also the ones wanting to bring rivers back, that just prolongs this phase. He played decent vs the bills, but missed some throws and he’s arm strength isn’t there anymore. The Hail Mary at the end of the game didn’t even make it to the end zone. We’re not catching KC,Buffalo, Etc  over night. Heck our division is about to get better. Texans finally got rid of O’Brien and now jags getting lawerence. We’ll be bottom of barrel in QB play in our own division. And don’t give me the Eason junk. If he pans out that would just be pure luck. 

• Like 1
  • Nadine changed the title to Should the Colts have contracted with Brady instead of Rivers?
  • Nadine locked this topic
  • Nadine unlocked this topic
8 hours ago, smittywerb said:

No, Tampa Bay made sure Tom was set up nice.  He has way more weapons than us.  I'd say the defense is on par but Bucs made moves.  

This is what I never understood. We don't have to go the Rams or Saints route in mortgaging picks or caps for a chance to win now. However, somewhere in between where we are and where those teams are would be more than acceptable to this fanbase.

Most teams enjoy only limited windows. Cowboys and their vaunted OL, they thought they had a bigger window than they had and boom, it came crashing down last year, and the OL dominance, albeit part of it is due to injury and a bit due to Travis Frederick retiring, lasted shorter than they thought it would. That is why the "win now" is a cliched and overused term, IMO. Most teams do want to win now and cannot rest on their strengths right now because they may not be a strength next year. So, the Colts, whether they bring back Rivers or sign another vet like Stafford, should technically be a "win now" team because their OL and those vet QB windows don't last forever.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Correct and that phase stinks. The phase where the only QB you have on the roster is a 2nd year 4th rd project. I’m glad someone else sees this. Also the ones wanting to bring rivers back, that just prolongs this phase. He played decent vs the bills, but missed some throws and he’s arm strength isn’t there anymore. The Hail Mary at the end of the game didn’t even make it to the end zone. We’re not catching KC,Buffalo, Etc  over night. Heck our division is about to get better. Texans finally got rid of O’Brien and now jags getting lawerence. We’ll be bottom of barrel in QB play in our own division. And don’t give me the Eason junk. If he pans out that would just be pure luck. 

I get all this.  But getting a franchise quarterback is a difficult thing to do.  It’s not simply a matter of needing and wanting it.  They usually come from having prime draft position, combined with the good luck and timing of having a guy like that available.  But, as Ballard said in his PC, if we had that then he wouldn’t still be sitting there.

I’d say that there are about 5 or 6 great QBs playing in the league today.  A couple are nearing retirement.  A couple were at one time, but have fallen off.  Several others are young and are either there or else seem destined for that echelon.

Every other team is making do with a QB who isn’t great and just does what they can with the best they can get.

This is why the Dolphins are reportedly interested in throwing in the towel on Tua after one year (among much more) for Watson.  Because he’s one of them.

I would have been on board. People will compare what he did with the Bucs to what phil did with us. But the Colts overall roster is better than the Bucs IMO. They have been a losing team for many seasons. They just have flashy weapons. I think Brady might have taken us to the SB and it would have been a great way to stick it to the Pats for the Mcdaniels thing. 

Lol.  Just like someone said above.  If the Defense forced 4 turnovers, we would’ve destroyed the Bills.  

in addition to that, Brady is also throwing to Evan’s, Godwin, Brown, and Gronk

Rivers had Pittman out for a chunk, TY non-existent first half of season.  

• Like 1
17 hours ago, CR91 said:

Haven't watched much on Mac Jones, but I heard the Pats are interested at 15

By "heard the Pats are interested at 15" do you mean that some talking head had Jones to NE in his mock draft?

7 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

By "heard the Pats are interested at 15" do you mean that some talking head had Jones to NE in his mock draft?

I can only go off the media. I don't exactly have access to the pats draft room.

17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I can only go off the media. I don't exactly have access to the pats draft room.

No one does which is why you should take such statements with a large grain of salt

5 minutes ago, coltsfanej said:

I wouldn't have wanted Tom if it guaranteed us a super bowl. 

Kinda agree, if Brady gets back to the big game, it'll be viewed as all about him, vice the team he plays on.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

Kinda agree, if Brady gets back to the big game, it'll be viewed as all about him, vice the team he plays on.

I wouldn’t care if Elway came out of retirement and led us to a championship. 

Brady on the Colts? I'd rather:

Get marooned on an island with nothing but polka and rap music to listen to.

Switch political parties.

Chug hot sauce.

Cage match with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

Date my uncle.

Eat tainted meat.

Do a "Ridge run" downhill on a mountain bike......naked.

• Haha 3

My direct answer to the title question on this thread is yes, we would have been.  

With that being said, despite the rumors and speculation, I have a hard time believing that Brady was really interested in coming here as opposed to using the Colts as leverage to get a deal done in a place that really wanted to be. 

I remember reading somewhere that part of the reason that Ballard focused on Rivers and Rivers alone was that he was cautious about being burnt by Brady at the last minute (ala one Josh McDaniels) and then being in a bad position because all his other preferred options would be off the table.  

16 hours ago, FormerBolt said:

The topic of this thread is disingenuous. Its originator is suggesting the Colts playoff implosion is on Rivers. But the reality is that Rivers did what he was hired to do all year, including in the playoff game. Rivers did not let the Colts down. It was the rest of the team that failed him ang its fans. There was a 33 yard field goal that should've been made and wasn't. .Five or six perfectly thrown passes that were dropped and 4 points left on the board by a coach who wouldn't  kick a field goal when he could and who went for two points after a td when he should've stayed with one. Tom Brady rarely, if ever, has had to deal with ineprifude on the teams of which he has been a member. For Rivers, it was a problem for years in SD. And it was again in 2020.

90% agree.  Pretty solid take.  Coaching is a big problem, and the difference in the Bill's game imo.

Rivers limitations do factor in tho.  If your qb cant physically roll out, scramble, or run for a gain......options are just limited.

I wont bat an eye if they bring Rivers back.  I expect it, dont hate it, but I'd like to see Reich be able to design plays with a less one dimensional qb.

Someone closer to 30 than 40 and not coming off a foot surgery.....(Brissett is one dimensional imo, in case anyone suggests he Reich had that opportunity last year).

• Like 1
15 hours ago, chad72 said:

This is what I never understood. We don't have to go the Rams or Saints route in mortgaging picks or caps for a chance to win now. However, somewhere in between where we are and where those teams are would be more than acceptable to this fanbase.

Most teams enjoy only limited windows. Cowboys and their vaunted OL, they thought they had a bigger window than they had and boom, it came crashing down last year, and the OL dominance, albeit part of it is due to injury and a bit due to Travis Frederick retiring, lasted shorter than they thought it would. That is why the "win now" is a cliched and overused term, IMO. Most teams do want to win now and cannot rest on their strengths right now because they may not be a strength next year. So, the Colts, whether they bring back Rivers or sign another vet like Stafford, should technically be a "win now" team because their OL and those vet QB windows don't last forever.

I agree, but honestly, I don't think we need to be in win now mode because we have too many holes to fill.  Now, if we have a good draft and FA then that is possible.  But we're at the point where we have to keep our talent first before mortgaging our future

22 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Yup, we're honestly not there yet.  And it's not like Brady is wowing people either.  He threw for 199 yds in their win.  That Bucs has a lot of talent.  We honestly outplayed our expectations.  The Bucs have kind of underperformed.  

On 1/17/2021 at 10:11 PM, CR91 said:

Rumor has it Brady's had interest in indy. The colts were not interested.

Speculation by Peter King was that the colts were interested in a shorter deal than Brady wanted

Truth is I'm not really sure, but with the Bucs making the NFC championship, it's an interesting question.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/colts-tom-brady-philip-rivers/ija7iqui6i4n18vvjdppqstb4

:edit:

No

On 1/18/2021 at 7:26 AM, TimetobringDfence! said:

He quickly got out of the AFC.. AFC had two top dogs for a decade while the NFC was killing itself. JUST this year the AFC comes out of nowhere and the NFC is struggling.

16 hours ago, SpanosSucks said:

Lol.  Just like someone said above.  If the Defense forced 4 turnovers, we would’ve destroyed the Bills.  

in addition to that, Brady is also throwing to Evan’s, Godwin, Brown, and Gronk

And yes this too.. they combined caught 7 passes for a touchdown and about 70 yards Sunday... (Godwin did drop one) disgusting.. The saints were just itching to lose that one.

It's hard to tell if our season would've been different I can't blame all of our loses on Rivers.. although we had the ball in our hands with a chance to win, in 4 of our 6 loses. But our weapons aren't the same as the Tampa Bay All pros.

I wanted him TBH, ut I understand why it didn't work out.  Frankly Tampa was a better situation for a short timing older QB, we're still in the buildup to a deep Superbowl run and many of our key players are still getting their careers properly started.  Tampa on the other hand was bristling with veterans and going all in in a way Ballard will probably never do.

On 1/17/2021 at 10:17 PM, AustinnKaine said:

Hopefully we don't make the mistake of resigning Rivers. 

Since we don't have that transcendent talent in the wings I'd be OK going year to year with Rivers until someone stands out behind him.

On 1/17/2021 at 10:46 PM, jvan1973 said:

I never heard that from anyone

I did.  Irsay was apparently all for it for awhile.  It was after Brady came off the market that Irsay started making a full court press on Rivers.