Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saints 2021 Cap Situation (Must See) **Eagles on page 2 ***Steelers/Falcons on page 3


Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

The Saints have a more obvious path to get under the cap. The Eagles are kind of stuck.

Idk?

 

If obvious path means to gut and restructure most of team then I guess so. Their cap space is $105m over now with future contracts signed yesterday, so they will have even more to take care of.

 

Eagles dont have to gut much of team(cut 4 players) but can only clear up so much space. Not as many big multi year contracts that they can restructure and save money on.

 

So I guess I agree to an extent. Wentz doesn't help much unless they can hold onto him till after June 1st which would kick in an additional $10m roster bonus guarantee for 2021(guaranteed 3rd day of 2021 new year). Which they would be on the hook for as well.

 

If they trade before its only $800k+ in savings, but they  nare off the hook for the extra $10m

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Figured I would delve into what the Saints will need to do to field a team next year. Will go with reports Brees is done and base off of $176m cap floor.(Saint really need this to go up).  

The Marlins of the NFL

whatever Ballard is doing has us trending in right direction 

24 minutes ago, w87r said:

How do you do one with out the other?

The only way I could think of is a one time waiver worth up 15 million. All teams get it. That way it’s fair for all. But I’m not even sure how something like that would be funded given the loss in revenue, out of owners pockets for sure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, w87r said:

Idk?

 

If obvious path means to gut and restructure most of team then I guess so. Their cap space is $105m over now with future contracts signed yesterday, so they will have even more to take care of.

 

Eagles dont have to gut much of team(cut 4 players) but can only clear up so much space. Not as many big multi year contracts that they can restructure and save money on.

 

So I guess I agree to an extent. Wentz doesn't help much unless they can hold onto him till after June 1st which would kick in an additional $10m roster bonus guarantee for 2021(guaranteed 3rd day of 2021 new year). Which they would be on the hook for as well.

 

If they trade before its only $800k+ in savings, but they  nare off the hook for the extra $10m

 

The Saints were pushing in to do something before Brees retired. Now that he's (reportedly) retiring, they'll do whatever they have to, fire sale their players for picks, cut overpaid guys, etc. Maybe it's not more obvious, they still have a lot of decisions to make, but at QB, it's going to be pretty simple.

 

The Eagles have a 26 year old QB with guaranteed money still due, and a $34m cap hit that they can't get rid of. They're hiring a new HC who probably doesn't want to go through two years with a stripped down roster, and who might not like Hurts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Superman said:

 

The Saints were pushing in to do something before Brees retired. Now that he's (reportedly) retiring, they'll do whatever they have to, fire sale their players for picks, cut overpaid guys, etc. Maybe it's not more obvious, they still have a lot of decisions to make, but at QB, it's going to be pretty simple.

 

The Eagles have a 26 year old QB with guaranteed money still due, and a $34m cap hit that they can't get rid of. They're hiring a new HC who probably doesn't want to go through two years with a stripped down roster, and who might not like Hurts. 

one thing i think we can all agree on, its gonna be a wild off season for sure

Link to post
Share on other sites

Steelers Cap Situation:

Current Cap Space: -$28,328,547

Players on Roster:53

 

Cuts/Retirement/Trades:

Ben Roethlisberger $19m savings(if retires)

Joe Hayden $12.6m savings

Eric Ebron $6m savings

Vance McDonald $5.2m savings(already retired)

 

Potential savings: $42.8m

New Cap Space: $14.5m

Player on Roster:49

 

Restructures:

Stephon Tuitt $4m savings

Cameron Heyward $2.7m savings

 

Savings: $6.7m

New Cap Space: $23.2m

 

 

They can probably release or restructure a couple other guys but nothing to substantial.

 

So there options are extremely limited. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • w87r changed the title to Saints 2021 Cap Situation (Must See)(Potential Colts pickups?) *Eagles added to page 2 *Steelers added to page 3
On 1/17/2021 at 9:52 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Joel Erickson used to cover the saints. He said they have a terrible cap specialist. Apparently they keep adding voidable years on to contacts and what happens is that all comes due at the same time.

 

giphy.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll add potential poaching of the Falcon's.  From the AJC beat writer:

 

The Falcons will have until 4 p.m. March 17 to get under the cap. That’s the start of the new NFL business year. Currently the cap projects to be around $176 million.

 

For now, the Falcons’ top six salary-cap numbers for 2021 belong to quarterback Matt Ryan ($40.9 million), wide receiver Julio Jones ($23.05 million), defensive tackle Grady Jarrett ($20.8 million), left tackle Jake Matthews ($20.2 million) and defensive end Dante Fowler ($18.6 million) and middle linebacker Deion Jones ($12.6 million).

 

The Falcons could save $23.3 million by cutting their top five players with the most potential salary-cap savings in safety Ricardo Allen ($6.2 million), Jarrett ($5.3 million), left guard James Carpenter ($5.3 million), defensive end Allen Bailey ($4.5 million) and Fowler ($3.3 million). You can bump than number down to $18 million because they are not cutting Jarrett, who went to his second consecutive Pro Bowl and will be a key rebuilding block for the new regime.

 

So, that would still leave the Falcons a more manageable $6.3 million over the cap. They could restructure some other deals and prorate some bonuses to squeeze under the cap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'll add potential poaching of the Falcon's.  From the AJC beat writer:

 

The Falcons will have until 4 p.m. March 17 to get under the cap. That’s the start of the new NFL business year. Currently the cap projects to be around $176 million.

 

For now, the Falcons’ top six salary-cap numbers for 2021 belong to quarterback Matt Ryan ($40.9 million), wide receiver Julio Jones ($23.05 million), defensive tackle Grady Jarrett ($20.8 million), left tackle Jake Matthews ($20.2 million) and defensive end Dante Fowler ($18.6 million) and middle linebacker Deion Jones ($12.6 million).

 

The Falcons could save $23.3 million by cutting their top five players with the most potential salary-cap savings in safety Ricardo Allen ($6.2 million), Jarrett ($5.3 million), left guard James Carpenter ($5.3 million), defensive end Allen Bailey ($4.5 million) and Fowler ($3.3 million). You can bump than number down to $18 million because they are not cutting Jarrett, who went to his second consecutive Pro Bowl and will be a key rebuilding block for the new regime.

 

So, that would still leave the Falcons a more manageable $6.3 million over the cap. They could restructure some other deals and prorate some bonuses to squeeze under the cap.

Will.have to see where the cap lies.

 

I can delve into their situation as well. Present their best options.

 

Maybe here in a little bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Atlanta Falcons Cap situation: -$33.2m(negative)

(42 players on roster)

 

Cuts/Trades:

Ricardo Allen $6.5m savings

Allen Bailey $4.5m savings

James Carpenter $4m savings

 

Savings: $15m

 

New Cap Space: -$18.2m(negative)

(39 players on roster)

 

Restructures:

Julio Jones $9.2m savings

Grady Jarret $6.2m savings

Jake Matthews $8m savings

Dante Fowler $6m savings

Deion Jones $4.8m savings

 

Savings:$34.2m

 

New Cap Space: $16m 

 

There is a couple other smaller releases or restructures that could free up minimal money but nothing substantial.

 

With this though they could elect to carry Ryan till June 1st and trade him to free up an additional $23m in 2021 cap space while creating a dead cap hit of $17.9m in 2021 and $26.5m in $2022.

 

They could also elect to trade prior and lose an additional $4m dropping their cap space to $12m. With no dead cap in 2022. Just doesn't seem to likely with only 39 players on roster at this point.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • w87r changed the title to Saints 2021 Cap Situation (Must See) **Eagles on page 2 ***Steelers/Falcons on page 3
10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Is Ricardo Allen or Alan Bailey worth looking at?

Allen had 62.4 PFF rating this year.  Was much higher prior to injury. Hasn't been the same since 2018.

 

Bailey 50.9 PFF rating.

 

 

Not that I live or die by PFF, but by the looks of that, probably not.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2021 at 1:04 AM, danlhart87 said:

 

Why do people put stupid stuff like this? Saints would never be able to afford him. 

Yeah you would think Matthew Berry would be smarter than that, although he does live in fantasy land. And he did say "fantasy" destinations.

 

Saying that though, Watson only cost $10.5m this season to team he us traded to. Bug years of deal start in 2022.

 

 

Brees also just restructured deal to save Saints money this tear, but pushes money down the line and they're still -$70m in cap space(negative)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, w87r said:

Yeah you would think Matthew Berry would be smarter than that, although he does live in fantasy land. And he did say "fantasy" destinations.

 

Saying that though, Watson only cost $10.5m this season to team he us traded to. Bug years of deal start in 2022.

 

 

Brees also just restructured deal to save Saints money this tear, but pushes money down the line and they're still -$70m in cap space(negative)

I'm confused he restructured?

Didn't he say he was retiring too

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm confused he restructured?

Didn't he say he was retiring too

Also here is this. The $24m(saved) being thrown around was if Brees was to play. It only save them $11.5m off what his cap would of been if he retired. None the less he threw them a bone. He gets his money either way.

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/overthecap.com/brees-and-saints-renegotiate-contract/amp/

 

 

All so very confusing.....

Figure It Out What GIF by CBC

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2021 at 2:09 PM, w87r said:

That is their only option.

 

 

Hope they mean Winston for $1 or $2m because thats about all they can afford after gutting the team like in the OP to just get back into the positives.

 

Would be a good chance for Winston to recoup his value on the market. To start for a tear under Payton.

I saw Winston interviewed by Mike Vick.

 

Winston seemed like a guy that was at least going to test FA. With the shortage of even middle of the road QBs, he PROBABLY will get a FA offer, from someone that is out of reach for the Saints cap.

 

I realized that it MIGHT be "coach speak" but Sean P. said that Winston has shown to be a "tremendous Leader"

 

Sean Payton was gushing over him. 

 

The Saints have another year on Lattimore, who is an amazing talent.  There is NO WAY that the Saints can put him into a decent contract

 

He counts a little more than 10M this year, but will command a huge increase.

 

It may be too much, but I would love to have at lease ONE shut down CB on this defense. 

 

It gives so many options... he could shut down the top receiver he faces..... and allow some new wrinkles in the defense.

 

The Saints are 100M over. VERY UGLY.  10M on is a step in the rebuild.... Probably a pipe dream, but I would LOVE for the Colts to put an offer..... The future high cap guys, near the end of their contract usually cost a bit less than normal......

 

We would have to work a new deal in a year.  

 

QB is priority 1, but if we are building to beat Mahommes, we had better have at least ONE talented CB1 or CB2 

 

I dont see Winston OR Lattimore on the Saints team next year

 

IMHO Winston should also be considered

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2021 at 1:04 AM, danlhart87 said:

 

Why do people put stupid stuff like this? Saints would never be able to afford him. 

That's why it's fantasy destinations.  He could see him flourishing in those top 3 destinations.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

FWIW

 

@w87r According to this graph, the Falcons are in bad cap shape too.

Yeah I have their breakdown in a post above.

 

Saints Eagles Steelers and Falcons in this thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, w87r said:

Yeah I have their breakdown in a post above.

 

Saints Eagles Steelers and Falcons in this thread.

 

Ok. I had not seen the Falcons. Thanks. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...