Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Archer's pre-Senior Bowl off-season mock

Didn't intend to post another so soon, but I expected Castonzo back.  I see some difficult decisions to avoid re-signing good players to ensure we have enough room to re-sign Leonard and Nelson in the future. 

Gonzo: Brissett (new Patriot starter), Mack, Walker, Hooker, Rhodes, Muhammed, Carrie, Clark, Green

Re-sign: Rivers, Houston, Hilton, Autry, Odum, Burton and all RFAs

Sign: William Jackson III (CB, Bengals), Bud Dupree (DE, Steelers), Mike Glennon (QB, Jaguars)

Draft:

1)      Sam Cosmi, OT, Texas.  He’ll have to grow into the LT spot through OJT, because we won’t have a better option.

2)      Joe Tryon, DE, Washington.  Brought back Houston and signed Dupree, but Tryon and Turay will represent the best chance for a dominating pass-rusher at the DE position going into the future.

3)      Dillon Radunz, OL, No. Dakota St.  We saw how tough it was to replace Castonzo this last year, and our cupboards are empty.  I like Radunz’s positional flexibility too – he could be a four-position back-up, like Haeg was.

4)      Riley Cole, LB, So. Alabama.  We’ve covered our top needs in FA and the first three rounds, so this is an attempt to ladder the LB depth a little.  Franklin, Adams, and Leonard’s contracts are up in a year, so finding some depth that’ll be around a little longer is a good idea.  Heading into the Senior Bowl, Cole’s scouting report is pretty similar to Leonard’s at that time…

5)      Greg Eisworth, S, Iowa St.  More of a strong safety type who’s great with the action in front of him.  A great leader and worker, though, and will have a good chance of developing in coverage.

6)       Sam Webb, CB, Missouri Western St. U.  A small-school crush of mine.  He has the size to be a boundary corner and was really productive in college.

7)      Paul Grattan, C, Villanova.  Smart guy who can also provide a little depth at OG.

I think Ballard would love to get a QB in the first round to sit behind Rivers and be the Plan A for 2022.  However, I really believe that guy is Kyle Trask, and it’s going to be really close whether he’s there at 21.  I’m guessing not in this mock.

Most might look at this draft and wonder where the WRs are.  Really, I think this’ll be a transitional year for us at the position.  It’ll probably be Hilton’s final year, we have to see if Pittman develops into a Keenan Allen-type #1 receiver, Campbell will get a chance to see if he can stay on the field and produce, Pascal will be there to prove his past production, and youngsters (Harris, Patmon, Dulin, and Fountain) will get a chance to step up.  To my eye, we have enough to say that the WR position won’t be holding us back next year. 

At CB, we brought in Jackson, and Tell returns to be the top outside back-up.  I thought that Rodgers looked like a promising nickel back-up in the playoff loss.  And Milligan and Odum can be the top back-up safeties.   

I like it.....  I like adding the pass rush and building depth at OL.

Cosmi should be a day one starter at LT

If Rivers say adios, we may have to get a FA QB to compete with Eason.

I am holding out hope that Eason could be this teams future starter.

He has all the physical tools, and it appears that he is now putting in the work to possibly make him a starter .... we will see .....

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I am holding out hope that Eason could be this teams future starter.

He has all the physical tools, and it appears that he is now putting in the work to possibly make him a starter .... we will see .....

Yep, we shall see.  The best metaphor I’ve heard applied to Eason is a “lottery ticket”.  A low chance he pays off, but if he does, he could pay off big.

10 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I hope we don't resign Houston, unless it's for $6 million per year or less. Our pass rush was way to inconsistent & we need more speed

I agree - three of those re-signings (Hilton, Houston, and Autry) should be for considerably less than what those players are making this year.  But hopefully they function as bridges as younger players develop behind them.  Had I predicted a 1st round DE, I wouldn’t have brought back Houston, I suppose.

I'm still really early into looking into players but conceptually I dig it. My prediction thus far is that Rivers decides to give it one last go and we decide it is best to go another round with him as well. And I believe the team is ready to see what Eason can do and to give him a legit shot at competing for the backup spot. And I see a FA coming in to push him or less likely a rookie to compete with him. (Kind of depends on who is there and what we think of them)

If this is all true I think it would be in our best interest to invest hard this offseason into OL and DE and you have done both. And we should try to get better at LB and CB. And other positions as we can of course.

Signing Glennon makes simply no sense to me.
However, Signing Rhodes is a priority.

A FA wide receiver remains a need,

One with great hands, smarts and serious speed.

Drafting a CB is also a must,

Someone big and talented who won’t be a bust.

And while we’re at it , a TE would also be nice, 

One with hands, ‘tude and fast feet will definitely suffice. 
Ballard will have a tough task in ‘21,

He’s up to it, but believe me, it won’t be fun. 

On 1/17/2021 at 3:24 PM, Zoltan said:

Why sign Mike Glennon? just curious on the reasoning

Not my mock, but having a veteran backup in case of emergency is valuable. I don't know why so many people downplay it's significance. And it's such a minimal part of this mock that I don't know why people seem to be taking issue with it. 

On 1/17/2021 at 10:31 AM, Archer said:

Didn't intend to post another so soon, but I expected Castonzo back.  I see some difficult decisions to avoid re-signing good players to ensure we have enough room to re-sign Leonard and Nelson in the future. 

Gonzo: Brissett (new Patriot starter), Mack, Walker, Hooker, Rhodes, Muhammed, Carrie, Clark, Green

Re-sign: Rivers, Houston, Hilton, Autry, Odum, Burton and all RFAs

Sign: William Jackson III (CB, Bengals), Bud Dupree (DE, Steelers), Mike Glennon (QB, Jaguars)

Draft:

1)      Sam Cosmi, OT, Texas.  He’ll have to grow into the LT spot through OJT, because we won’t have a better option.

2)      Joe Tryon, DE, Washington.  Brought back Houston and signed Dupree, but Tryon and Turay will represent the best chance for a dominating pass-rusher at the DE position going into the future.

3)      Dillon Radunz, OL, No. Dakota St.  We saw how tough it was to replace Castonzo this last year, and our cupboards are empty.  I like Radunz’s positional flexibility too – he could be a four-position back-up, like Haeg was.

4)      Riley Cole, LB, So. Alabama.  We’ve covered our top needs in FA and the first three rounds, so this is an attempt to ladder the LB depth a little.  Franklin, Adams, and Leonard’s contracts are up in a year, so finding some depth that’ll be around a little longer is a good idea.  Heading into the Senior Bowl, Cole’s scouting report is pretty similar to Leonard’s at that time…

5)      Greg Eisworth, S, Iowa St.  More of a strong safety type who’s great with the action in front of him.  A great leader and worker, though, and will have a good chance of developing in coverage.

6)       Sam Webb, CB, Missouri Western St. U.  A small-school crush of mine.  He has the size to be a boundary corner and was really productive in college.

7)      Paul Grattan, C, Villanova.  Smart guy who can also provide a little depth at OG.

I think Ballard would love to get a QB in the first round to sit behind Rivers and be the Plan A for 2022.  However, I really believe that guy is Kyle Trask, and it’s going to be really close whether he’s there at 21.  I’m guessing not in this mock.

Most might look at this draft and wonder where the WRs are.  Really, I think this’ll be a transitional year for us at the position.  It’ll probably be Hilton’s final year, we have to see if Pittman develops into a Keenan Allen-type #1 receiver, Campbell will get a chance to see if he can stay on the field and produce, Pascal will be there to prove his past production, and youngsters (Harris, Patmon, Dulin, and Fountain) will get a chance to step up.  To my eye, we have enough to say that the WR position won’t be holding us back next year. 

At CB, we brought in Jackson, and Tell returns to be the top outside back-up.  I thought that Rodgers looked like a promising nickel back-up in the playoff loss.  And Milligan and Odum can be the top back-up safeties.   

Good mock, but not enough OL ;) 

Also addressed edge rusher, though I'm not sure about Dupree. I'd like to see your numbers. And Rhodes is a casualty, which hurts.

55 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not my mock, but having a veteran backup in case of emergency is valuable. I don't know why so many people downplay it's significance. And it's such a minimal part of this mock that I don't know why people seem to be taking issue with it. 

I completely agree about a veteran backup, I was more curious about the thinking of why choose Mike Glennon, because I think there are better choices unless he picked him for a specific reason

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

I completely agree about a veteran backup, I was more curious about the thinking of why choose Mike Glennon, because I think there are better choices unless he picked him for a specific reason

I think there are 10 of them that are pretty interchangeable, based on ability, age, experience, and likely contract value. What's the difference between Mike Glennon, Tyrod Taylor, AJ McCarron, Blake Bortles, etc.? 

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think there are 10 of them that are pretty interchangeable, based on ability, age, experience, and likely contract value. What's the difference between Mike Glennon, Tyrod Taylor, AJ McCarron, Blake Bortles, etc.? 

I would say the difference is what each can bring to the QB room and as the scout team QB

14 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Yeah, I’m not married to Glennon.  Ballard has said he’s pessimistic about a 1st round QB and I don’t think we’ll take one later in the draft - so, I just found a veteran Backup who would likely be on the market.  (Minshew and Luton should back up Lawrence for the Jags.)

1 hour ago, OhioColt said:

Liking what I seen and read on LB Cole.  Looks like a good player capable of handling SAM and MLB rotations.

Good blooper reel of Cole vs Louisiana with 10s left in 2Q where the BJ takes him out.  Good backpedaling and change of direction with enough speed to build up enough force to get knocked down.  May need some NFL strength conditioning to help shed blocks.

@Archer

Couple other players am interested in for Edge/LB

Rd 2-3) Edge Charles Snowden (Virginia) - Snowden stands 6-foot-7. SAM linebacker blitzing / played both ends or more of a 3-4 OLB. Great football awareness and very solid in run support.  2018 breakout star along with Rock Ya.

Rd 3-4) ILB Garret Wallow (TCU) - Extremely athletic with impressive sideline-to-sideline speed and can lineup in the box, cover the slot and has a good grasp of where he should be in zone defense.  Seen where might be better projected at WILL.

Any impressions or research on these two candidates? 

Archived