Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offseason mock

Ok guys, I've been sitting here thinking what can put this team over the hump and have a deep playoff run, even if we have to say goodbye to some players. I also been thinking what if Trey Lance is another Jordan Love situation where he is projected to go in the top 10-15 but slips in the 1st round. With that being said, a dream scenario would be Lance falls right into Ballard's lap at 21. 

Let walk

Walker - Can easily be replaced, more on that in the free agents portion of this post 

Mack - With the emergence of JT and Hines this season, our backfield is pretty much set.

Hooker - Julian Blackmon is going to be a superstar so adios to Malik. Plus, I don't think he fits our defensive scheme. 

Rivers - I think he's going to retire anyway, but just in case he doesn't Ballard should let him walk. I appreciate what he's done for us this season but the future at the QB must be address via trade or draft. 

Resign 

TY - The money will be the issue here but he should be brought back 

Rhodes - Was one of our best players on defense this season. Would love to see him brought back. 

Autry - D Line depth 

Muhammad - D Line depth

Houston - Bring him back for depth. Not only for his leadership, he had 8 sacks last season.

Free agents: 

Via Eagles Cut - Zach Ertz TE - Not only is he a solid red zone threat, he's a great down the field threat as well which this team needs at the Tight End position. 

LeVonte David MLB - Replaces Anthony Walker at the OLB position. With Bobby O in the middle, and the Maniac on the other side this will be the best LB corps in the league. 

Bud Dupree DE - Trey Hendrickson crossed my mind, but then I thought someone is going to overpay him. He hasn't had more than 5 sacks in a season 3 years prior to this season. I know he's only 26 but still! Steelers don't have the cap space to resign Dupree so they may bid farewell to him. 

NFL Draft 

Round 1: Trey Lance QB North Dakota State - Maybe he falls maybe he doesn't. He did opt out this pass season so that may cause him to fall a little bit. I'm saying he does fall right into Ballard's lap at 21 and he drafts our future QB. 

Round 2: Jackson Carman T Clemson - This guy is really really good. Nasty at the point of attack, solid run blocker and pass protector. 

Round 3: Joe Tyron DE Washington - Opted out in 2020, but has all the tools to be a solid pass rusher. He and Dupree will be our future pass rushers. 

Round 4: Kadarius Toney WR Florida - Fast quick receiver who you can line up in the slot and just in case Campbell doesn't stay healthy. 

Round 5: Olaijah Griffin CB USC - CB depth

Round 6: Tommy Kreamer OT Norte Dame - Ballard addresses our offensive line depth with this pick. 

Round 7: Luke Farrell TE Ohio State - Tight End depth.  

Again, no guarantee Lance drops to 21 but this is just a gut feeling I have. Listening to Ballard's end of the year press conference the other day, it sounded like he wasn't ready to give up on Rock just yet. I wouldn't be shocked if he brings in a veteran free agent CB like a Patrick Peterson as well. 

I like it.  I agree with a lot of your player choices.  I think Carman is one of the more underrated OTs in the draft, with a lot of analysists thinking he's going to have to be moved to OG.  But I think he's just playing about 25 lbs too heavy.  He gets out to the second level and has really nice feet in pass pro for a 345 lb guy...

Personally, I think Lance will be bid up into the teens of Round 1, and I doubt that Ballard will be in on the Lance train.  Many of those one-year wonder QBs haven't done that well in the pros (Trubisky, Bortles, Haskins, Paxton Lynch).  Plus, I've never really heard anyone talk much about his intangibles - intelligence, leadership, character.  These things are really important to Ballard.  Call me crazy, but I think that Ballard is going to sit on Kyle Trask - if he's there at 21, we take him; if he's gone, we probably take an OT...

Nice one. I'd like that... not sure we will have the money for it though.  I've been seeing Jackson Carman in a few mock drafts here recently. I haven't sat down to watch him specifically so take that with a grain of salt, but whenever I've watched Clemson, he never really struck me as a high level prospect. I guess I will have to add him to my list of OTs to watch. 

I like it. It appears to fill some current and future holes

Some quick questions/ thoughts

I am a bit nervous with counting on a late 2nd round pick to come in an play LT day one.

I am also a bit nervous as Lance doesnt seem like a QB ready to play day one.  He needs a chance to develop and hold a clipboard

Just curious, in this scenario is Rivers staying? Is Eason the starting QB?

I might suggest a trade up to get one in the draft, or getting an older LT for a 1 or 2 year rental (Is Trent Smith still available?)

I would use FA to fill the gaping holes, LT , possibly QB, Possibly WR, and then draft BPA 

We have a servicable TE room, We have servicable LBs.......

Good work though

59 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

This would be a great off-season. I'm officially convinced that if we draft a QB, he sits a year. Maybe Winston starts or Rivers plays one last year. Lance wouldn't be ready to step right in and start IMO. I'm not against trying it tho lol

Jameis on a 1 year contract. The issue with Jameis are the interceptions. He has the talent to be a top 5 top 10 QB. Lance opting out in 2020 really hurts his development, and I don't think even with a normal full offseason of OTAs, Mini Camp, Training Camp, Preseason he would be ready. 

On 1/17/2021 at 1:14 PM, stitches said:

I've been seeing Jackson Carman in a few mock drafts here recently. I haven't sat down to watch him specifically so take that with a grain of salt, but whenever I've watched Clemson, he never really struck me as a high level prospect. I guess I will have to add him to my list of OTs to watch. 

I haven't watched him yet, but the scouting I've seen so far seems to indicate a move inside to Guard may be needed.

3 hours ago, Shive said:

I haven't watched him yet, but the scouting I've seen so far seems to indicate a move inside to Guard may be needed.

On TheDraftNetwork.com I just read he struggles with speed edge rushers. Thats very problematic if he can't handle speed edge rushers. However, if Big Q moves to LT, I still wouldnt opposed drafting him and putting him at LG. He plays with the same nastiness Q does. 

Toney is getting talked about at the end of the first round. I don't think he's getting anywhere near the fourth from what I've seen.

I wouldn't mind Bud Dupree or Trey Hendrickson for the right price but I think Ertz is over the hill. He had an awful year.

I don't see the benefit in giving Lavonte David a contract either. He'll cost way more than Walker and wouldn't even be the best LB on the team. I'd much rather bring Walker back at a reasonable price than bring David in at an unreasonable price.

My ideal free agent targets would be Allen Robinson II and either Bud Dupree or Matt Judon.

On 1/20/2021 at 9:59 AM, Mackrel829 said:

Toney is getting talked about at the end of the first round. I don't think he's getting anywhere near the fourth from what I've seen.

I wouldn't mind Bud Dupree or Trey Hendrickson for the right price but I think Ertz is over the hill. He had an awful year.

I don't see the benefit in giving Lavonte David a contract either. He'll cost way more than Walker and wouldn't even be the best LB on the team. I'd much rather bring Walker back at a reasonable price than bring David in at an unreasonable price.

My ideal free agent targets would be Allen Robinson II and either Bud Dupree or Matt Judon.

I haven't seen any discussion about Toney being a 1st round pick. Now that can change as the offseason progresses but as of now, scouts and analysts have him in the 3rd-4th round range. 

Regarding Ertz, you're judging him on one down 2020 season? There are several reasons why he had a down season and coaching was one of them. He's been one of the most consistent Tight Ends in the league. I wouldn't say he is over the hill. 

52 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

I haven't seen any discussion about Toney being a 1st round pick. Now that can change as the offseason progresses but as of now, scouts and analysts have him in the 3rd-4th round range. 

Regarding Ertz, you're judging him on one down 2020 season? There are several reasons why he had a down season and coaching was one of them. He's been one of the most consistent Tight Ends in the league. I wouldn't say he is over the hill. 

The Draft Network have been talking about him at the end of the first round for some time.

This mock has him going to the Bucs at 29 overall:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockDraft/xWBr4l2jtI

This one has him going to the Jags at 25 overall:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-mock-draft-solak-1.0

Another reason Ertz had a down year was injury. He's been a great player for a long time. I just don't see the need to spend money on him when we already have Doyle and Mo-Alie, and could bring back Burton if we wanted.

1 hour ago, Mackrel829 said:

Another reason Ertz had a down year was injury. He's been a great player for a long time. I just don't see the need to spend money on him when we already have Doyle and Mo-Alie, and could bring back Burton if we wanted

Mo is a Free Agent as well. Doyle is under contract though. 

On 1/20/2021 at 12:59 PM, Mackrel829 said:

Big fan of Lavonte David but the Colts would be better money spent on acquiring the Browns ILB B.J. Goodson for cheaper younger option.  Still be an upgrade over AW Jr if he can improve on this year’s performance.

Lance being there just really isn't that odd to me. In any given year 2-5 QBs tend to go in the 1st. rarely are 4 taken before 21. It's only happened like twice since 2000 and some of the guys those years don't exactly excite you with the power of hindsight. Teams love QBs, but at the same time the evidence doesn't suggest there is really that big of a frenzy for QBs in the first 20 picks as many people seem to think. Just look at the media last year initially. Many people were saying Love would go in the top 20, along with Tua, Herbert and Burrow. He went like 26th and was considered a surprise selection by GB.

So if I were a betting man, I'd say one of either Lance or Wilson falls, with of course it be worth noting the Colts could even end up liking Jones better than both. I have no doubt we will be taking a very hard look at everyone. But for now my prediction is that we pass even if they are available. I haven't studied them, but they don't seem all that more exciting than Eason whom we got in round 4. I think it makes more sense we are signing or trading for a vet at some point this offseason and giving Eason a shot to prove he is the guy we want to begin grooming for the future. 

On 1/22/2021 at 9:38 PM, Mackrel829 said:

The Draft Network have been talking about him at the end of the first round for some time.

This mock has him going to the Bucs at 29 overall:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockDraft/xWBr4l2jtI

This one has him going to the Jags at 25 overall:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-mock-draft-solak-1.0

Another reason Ertz had a down year was injury. He's been a great player for a long time. I just don't see the need to spend money on him when we already have Doyle and Mo-Alie, and could bring back Burton if we wanted.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-mock-draft-new-york-jets-qb-zach-wilson-cincinnati-bengals-wr-jamarr-chase

PFF also has him going to the Jags at #25.

Archived