Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eberflus interviewing with Houston


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Texans' front office:  

Hes there to get Intel on Watson   

During an off-season where people are screaming about how bad the interview process is being handled by teams over-looking African-Americans....   Houston now pours gasoline on the fire by interviewin

19 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:


If it’s true that Watson is going to ask for a trade regardless who they hire, what’s he waiting for?  Why just the anonymous leaks to the press about what he’s going to do?

 

It seems pretty apparent to me that he’s machinating to impact the hiring process, if not the hire itself.

 

At one point, wasn’t Houston not even going to interview Bieniemy?  Now he’s reportedly a finalist?

 

I could be wrong.  But I think they’re going to hire Bieniemy and Watson will return there next year.

All the leaks and tweets totally turn me off. He should have manned up and talked to the owner, or had his agent do it. I hate that kind of behavior. Totally diva IMO. Lots of bad on both sides of this, but Watson is the one that took the beef public which never ends well.

 

Yup, Houston wasn't going to interview EB. Then the tweets and leaks happened. Then Houston had to go to the league office and get special permission to call/interview EB since they failed to do it during the down week. 

 

IMO, now Watson looks like a diva, Houston FO looks weak and wishy washy. They need to just sit down with each other and decide what the next steps are. 

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

I think they should have offered the GM position to Watson AND make him minority owner of the team.... then maybe, hopefully he be happy and stays in Houston. :funny:

Yea, it's a mess. Coming into the situation, I liked Watson and thought the franchise was a wreck. Then they cleared house admin/staff wise, and now Watson is acting up. Just a total dumpster fire lol... Time to start over. If I were a team trading for Watson, now I have a concern he's going to come in and try to dictate hiring... Never should have gone public.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

All the leaks and tweets totally turn me off. He should have manned up and talked to the owner, or had his agent do it. I hate that kind of behavior. Totally diva IMO. Lots of bad on both sides of this, but Watson is the one that took the beef public which never ends well.

 

Yup, Houston wasn't going to interview EB. Then the tweets and leaks happened. Then Houston had to go to the league office and get special permission to call/interview EB since they failed to do it during the down week. 

 

IMO, now Watson looks like a diva, Houston FO looks weak and wishy washy. They need to just sit down with each other and decide what the next steps are. 

Yea, it's a mess. Coming into the situation, I liked Watson and thought the franchise was a wreck. Then they cleared house admin/staff wise, and now Watson is acting up. Just a total dumpster fire lol... Time to start over. If I were a team trading for Watson, now I have a concern he's going to come in and try to dictate hiring... Never should have gone public.


I couldn’t agree more.  I totally sympathize with Watson’s frustrations.  And it’s clear he’s not the only one upset by how the franchise has been managed.

 

But the way he’s gone about it is pretty childish.  And it almost certainly isn’t going to help.  It’s pouring fuel on the fire.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If the only hold uo is Eberflus being able to get a ride to Houston. I will pick him up and I wont even charge him for gas!!!!

Since you've been a vocal proponent of jettisoning Flus, and are again advocating for him leaving, who do you propose replaces him?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2021 at 4:03 PM, Fluke_33 said:

What is the difference between least desirable and most undesirable?  I don’t get it. 

 

On 1/18/2021 at 12:00 PM, stitches said:

The least desireable is one that you still desire but would take reluctantly and as a last resort after all other options have failed. The most undesireable is... you actively don't want anything to do with it. :D I think... :dunno:

It's like dating.  In college there was a girl in my group of friends I wouldn't (and didn't ever) touch in my drunkest state no matter how hard she tried.  Undesirable.  There were others where I thought, this might be a mistake, but the hell with it.  Desirable.  Just so I don't sound like too much of a *, it's worth noting that I ended up marrying one of them.  Wejust celebrated our 10 year anniversary this past October.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

 

It's like dating.  In college there was a girl in my group of friends I wouldn't (and didn't ever) touch in my drunkest state no matter how hard she tried.  Undesirable.  There were others where I thought, this might be a mistake, but the hell with it.  Desirable.  Just so I don't sound like too much of a *, it's worth noting that I ended up marrying one of them.  Wejust celebrated our 10 year anniversary this past October.

I can't give a like, a thanks, and a laughing emoji at the same time so i chose the laughing one but thanks, and i like it a lot.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Shive said:

Since you've been a vocal proponent of jettisoning Flus, and are again advocating for him leaving, who do you propose replaces him?

Oh its just not him. He can take this defensive philosophy with him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, w87r said:

Wins and losses don't dictate being smart or not. Decisions do, and they have made bad decision after bad decision. Firing GM, not replacing him, giving GM spot to BOB, BOB trading Hop....

 

Way to show your continued support at the Colts though. :thmup:

Was listening to a previous GM this aft. He said because of the cap and each teams qb situations. There are only 3 teams in the Stafford hunt. Indy, NE and Denver. They feel that Detroit may tru to accomodate him. If I was Stafford would probably be the best choice.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Oh its just not him. He can take this defensive philosophy with him. 

 

Spags with the Chiefs is known for getting good safeties and generating pressure with a good DL and good blanket coverage from lesser known corners.

 

Josh Allen looked like the early days Peyton Manning (except for his legs) trying to win it on his arm more often without a solid running game to keep Mahomes on the sidelines. The Bills' zone D also looked like the Dungy/Meeks/Frazier (oh well, we know who Frazier learned it from) against an elite QB being picked apart methodically. Just like we used to wait for Rivers or Brady to make that fatal mistake with our bend-AND-break-D in the playoffs against them. :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Oh its just not him. He can take this defensive philosophy with him. 

If Flus left for Houston, there would be a vacancy at DC. I didn't say anything about keeping the scheme. I'm just curious who, that's available, you would pick as our next DC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chad72 said:

 

Spags with the Chiefs is known for getting good safeties and generating pressure with a good DL and good blanket coverage from lesser known corners.

 

Josh Allen looked like the early days Peyton Manning (except for his legs) trying to win it on his arm more often without a solid running game to keep Mahomes on the sidelines. The Bills' zone D also looked like the Dungy/Meeks/Frazier (oh well, we know who Frazier learned it from) against an elite QB being picked apart methodically. Just like we used to wait for Rivers or Brady to make that fatal mistake with our bend-AND-break-D in the playoffs against them. :) 

I was thinking the same thing while watching. The Bills played very Colt like circa early/mid 00's.

 

Side note: One thing I have to throw out there about the game was how the # did Allen toss it out of the back of the endzone while falling out of bounds from MIDFIELD?? Not sure anyone remembers the play. I literally was like WOW..

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

The Texans continue to be one of the most fascinating stories in all of sports. 
 

And not in a good way. Whatever is going on down there is out of the ordinary. 

Why does this move continue to the "bad"?

I think this was a good strategic move by Caserio. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Why does this move continue to the "bad"?

I think this was a good strategic move by Caserio. 

 


I’ve been reading these SI pieces on Easterby and his rise to power down there and something is just off about it. 
 

Easterby is a really strange figure. He’s cropped up through the years and there’s like a collective negative reaction from everyone. When the chatter of Brady and Bill breaking up started out for the very first time his name would come up and pretty much always suggested he was pushing Brady out. I saw it a ton on Twitter and Reddit which is where I first picked up on him. 
 

Once he went to the Texans and tried to hire Caserio the first time the Patriots took that personally. They filed tampering charges. To appease the Pats the Texans specifically agreed to stop trying to hire him. Now, they’ve hired him anyways.

 

Look at the way they’ve done Watson this offseason. They reportedly told him that his opinions would be factored into the big decisions. Only for that to just days later not happen. You don’t do that to your star quarterback. But they did. Why? Behind all the changes and all the drama what has been the one constant? Easterby. In his role to Cal McNair as a highly trusted advisor who is very involved in the organization. 
 

I believe Easterby is the one behind the Hopkins, and upcoming Watson deals because those two weren’t onboard with whatever it is he is. Those guys just got plucked and replaced bang-bang. 
 

It’s just curious all around. No other team has an executive that isn’t a GM that comes up as often in all of the big decisions. 
 

If it’s not bad it’s highly peculiar at best. Carelessly discarding guys like Hopkins and Watson isn’t how many would build a franchise.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, John Waylon said:


I’ve been reading these SI pieces on Easterby and his rise to power down there and something is just off about it. 
 

Easterby is a really strange figure. He’s cropped up through the years and there’s like a collective negative reaction from everyone. When the chatter of Brady and Bill breaking up started out for the very first time his name would come up and pretty much always suggested he was pushing Brady out. I saw it a ton on Twitter and Reddit which is where I first picked up on him. 
 

Once he went to the Texans and tried to hire Caserio the first time the Patriots took that personally. They filed tampering charges. To appease the Pats the Texans specifically agreed to stop trying to hire him. Now, they’ve hired him anyways.

 

Look at the way they’ve done Watson this offseason. They reportedly told him that his opinions would be factored into the big decisions. Only for that to just days later not happen. You don’t do that to your star quarterback. But they did. Why? Behind all the changes and all the drama what has been the one constant? Easterby. In his role to Cal McNair as a highly trusted advisor who is very involved in the organization. 
 

I believe Easterby is the one behind the Hopkins, and upcoming Watson deals because those two weren’t onboard with whatever it is he is. Those guys just got plucked and replaced bang-bang. 
 

It’s just curious all around. No other team has an executive that isn’t a GM that comes up as often in all of the big decisions. 
 

If it’s not bad it’s highly peculiar at best. Carelessly discarding guys like Hopkins and Watson isn’t how many would build a franchise.  

If you are correct good for us. 

But cutting out O'Brian was start of cutting the cancer out. 

The rest is yet to be seen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you are correct good for us. 

But cutting out O'Brian was start of cutting the cancer out. 

The rest is yet to be seen. 


I mean O’Brien was the last hurdle for him to clear, right? When he was hired he was given the reign. But as Easteby became more and more engrained to McNair it was clear that despite all of that the balance of power was shifting. I’m sure O’Brien was given a chance to be the head coach under Easterby, and that is ultimately why he signed on for the Hopkins trade, even though the writing was already on the wall. As soon as the season ended and the dominoes started falling who was pushing them? It’s not McNair... He’s just along for the ride. I think Easterby is giving him the instructions. 
 

Whatever it is down there, it’s out of the ordinary. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, John Waylon said:


I’ve been reading these SI pieces on Easterby and his rise to power down there and something is just off about it. 
 

Easterby is a really strange figure. He’s cropped up through the years and there’s like a collective negative reaction from everyone. When the chatter of Brady and Bill breaking up started out for the very first time his name would come up and pretty much always suggested he was pushing Brady out. I saw it a ton on Twitter and Reddit which is where I first picked up on him. 
 

Once he went to the Texans and tried to hire Caserio the first time the Patriots took that personally. They filed tampering charges. To appease the Pats the Texans specifically agreed to stop trying to hire him. Now, they’ve hired him anyways.

 

Look at the way they’ve done Watson this offseason. They reportedly told him that his opinions would be factored into the big decisions. Only for that to just days later not happen. You don’t do that to your star quarterback. But they did. Why? Behind all the changes and all the drama what has been the one constant? Easterby. In his role to Cal McNair as a highly trusted advisor who is very involved in the organization. 
 

I believe Easterby is the one behind the Hopkins, and upcoming Watson deals because those two weren’t onboard with whatever it is he is. Those guys just got plucked and replaced bang-bang. 
 

It’s just curious all around. No other team has an executive that isn’t a GM that comes up as often in all of the big decisions. 
 

If it’s not bad it’s highly peculiar at best. Carelessly discarding guys like Hopkins and Watson isn’t how many would build a franchise.  

IDK. Sounds like some folks are trying to create a boogie man. First it was O'Brien, now it's Easterby lol... 

 

And I don't think Houston treated DW bad. Allowing him to be part of the process, or weighing his input, doesn't automatically equate to doing what he says, or taking his suggestions. He's an employee, not the owner, and not part of FO management. We'll never know exactly what words were used, or what exactly the agreement was. Houston FO's intent may have been to simply keep him informed and allow him to give input. And honestly, a player shouldn't have more than that. To me, sound like he was kept informed, and was allowed to provide input. He was just unhappy when they hired the GM he didn't pick.

 

Anyway, it was Watson that went outside of the team and leaked and tweeted. That's diva behavior to me. Houston FO may have been bad, but DW wasn't in the right either. They just purged the FO, and have a new GM and HC. They should now cleanse the locker room too and use the picks to start fresh.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

IDK. Sounds like some folks are trying to create a boogie man. First it was O'Brien, now it's Easterby lol... 

 

And I don't think Houston treated DW bad. Allowing him to be part of the process, or weighing his input, doesn't automatically equate to doing what he says, or taking his suggestions. He's an employee, not the owner, and not part of FO management. We'll never know exactly what words were used, or what exactly the agreement was. Houston FO's intent may have been to simply keep him informed and allow him to give input. And honestly, a player shouldn't have more than that. To me, sound like he was kept informed, and was allowed to provide input. He was just unhappy when they hired the GM he didn't pick.

 

Anyway, it was Watson that went outside of the team and leaked and tweeted. That's diva behavior to me. Houston FO may have been bad, but DW wasn't in the right either. They just purged the FO, and have a new GM and HC. They should now cleanse the locker room too and use the picks to start fresh.

This is what I was referring to with an earlier opinion.

The Texan's are Watson's team. He can either run, or he can lead. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I’ve been reading these SI pieces on Easterby and his rise to power down there and something is just off about it. 

From everything I've read about him, he's viewed as essentially a snake-oil salesman. He was a team chaplain, then a "character coach" for the Patriots, and now he's the Texans' VP Of Football Operations. Not to steer the discussion towards religion, but it seems as though he wields his faith as a tool to manipulate, very similar to how a cult leader does. Here's an SI piece on him that does a good job illustrating how this guy works: https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job

 

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

IDK. Sounds like some folks are trying to create a boogie man. First it was O'Brien, now it's Easterby lol... 

I think BoB was the face of the disfunction that we saw, but I don't know that he was the driving force behind it. There's no way you have a guy like Andre Johnson come out and say the things he's said about Easterby if there's not something there. One of the quietest, keeps to himself star WR's ever...

 

Quote

And I don't think Houston treated DW bad. Allowing him to be part of the process, or weighing his input, doesn't automatically equate to doing what he says, or taking his suggestions. He's an employee, not the owner, and not part of FO management. We'll never know exactly what words were used, or what exactly the agreement was. Houston FO's intent may have been to simply keep him informed and allow him to give input. And honestly, a player shouldn't have more than that. To me, sound like he was kept informed, and was allowed to provide input. He was just unhappy when they hired the GM he didn't pick.

The problem isn't whether or not he should have input as a player. It's that he was told specifically by the owner Cal McNair that he wanted Watson's input and for him to be involved in the process, just to turn around and completely block him out of the process. Had he not expressly told Watson those things, I don't think it would be much of an issue. You can't solicit the input of your star player, then tell him to kick rocks, because this is the kind of strife that happens as a result.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

IDK. Sounds like some folks are trying to create a boogie man. First it was O'Brien, now it's Easterby lol... 

 

And I don't think Houston treated DW bad. Allowing him to be part of the process, or weighing his input, doesn't automatically equate to doing what he says, or taking his suggestions. He's an employee, not the owner, and not part of FO management. We'll never know exactly what words were used, or what exactly the agreement was. Houston FO's intent may have been to simply keep him informed and allow him to give input. And honestly, a player shouldn't have more than that. To me, sound like he was kept informed, and was allowed to provide input. He was just unhappy when they hired the GM he didn't pick.

 

Anyway, it was Watson that went outside of the team and leaked and tweeted. That's diva behavior to me. Houston FO may have been bad, but DW wasn't in the right either. They just purged the FO, and have a new GM and HC. They should now cleanse the locker room too and use the picks to start fresh.


I dunno. His rise to power from starting out as a team Chaplin in New England is weird. The way he got to the Texans is weird. He works his way into the inner circle of the ailing owner’s heir, he’s been given a host of titles and promotions all the way up the ladder, but yet when the guy’s name comes up even football writers seem skeptical of him. 
 

Even Andre Johnson has put him direct in the crosshairs, and Hopkins endorsed it just this month. 
 


There is plenty of trepidation around Easterby. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, John Waylon said:

It’s just curious all around. No other team has an executive that isn’t a GM that comes up as often in all of the big decisions. 
 

If it’s not bad it’s highly peculiar at best. Carelessly discarding guys like Hopkins and Watson isn’t how many would build a franchise.  

Easterby was also reported to be the reason the Texans fired their award winning VP of Communications, Amy Palcic last November. 

 

That upset JJ Watt, who voiced his displeasure loudly. There were dozens of incredulous posts, stories, and comments from journalists and players, too. Nobody could understand this crazy move. Then Easterby's name popped up as the driving force. Apparently she wasn't buying his snake oil, so she got fired.

 

I suppose Eaststreet will disparage JJ as just playing the diva too. I disagree.

 

Watson, Watt, Andre, and Amy Palcic all see through the charlatan and have taken their stance against his nonsense. Good for them!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shive said:

From everything I've read about him, he's viewed as essentially a snake-oil salesman. He was a team chaplain, then a "character coach" for the Patriots, and now he's the Texans' VP Of Football Operations. Not to steer the discussion towards religion, but it seems as though he wields his faith as a tool to manipulate, very similar to how a cult leader does. Here's an SI piece on him that does a good job illustrating how this guy works: https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job

 

I think BoB was the face of the disfunction that we saw, but I don't know that he was the driving force behind it. There's no way you have a guy like Andre Johnson come out and say the things he's said about Easterby if there's not something there. One of the quietest, keeps to himself star WR's ever...

 

The problem isn't whether or not he should have input as a player. It's that he was told specifically by the owner Cal McNair that he wanted Watson's input and for him to be involved in the process, just to turn around and completely block him out of the process. Had he not expressly told Watson those things, I don't think it would be much of an issue. You can't solicit the input of your star player, then tell him to kick rocks, because this is the kind of strife that happens as a result.


Oh yeah, I’ve read both of the SI Easterby features. More than once lol. Like I said, this is a guy I was hearing about 5 years ago or so when the Brady breakup rumors first started as a source of division in the Patriots organization. I thought that was so out of the ordinary for the Patriots to have a guy who wasn’t a coach or an executive whose name kept popping up when describing the growing rift(s) within the organization. 
 

Somehow he got hooked up with McNair and he’s actually had a bunch of different job titles with the Texans, but all indications are that these major decisions are all being influenced by him, and him alone. 
 

The hiring of Culley is definitely curious. The Ravens WR coach. The Ravens aren’t exactly known for having a stellar receiving corps. I talked to a die hard Ravens fan last night about him and he is indifferent to his departure at best. He told me that before coming to Baltimore Culley was in Kansas City in the same role the season the Chiefs went without a WR scoring a TD. 
 

It really feels like this hire, and the Caserio one are because those guys are going to know their roles under him because they’ve bought the snake oil memberships from him. 
 

And you brought up Andre Johnson about the same time I did. He’s been kind of a goodwill ambassador for the Texans in recent years, but even he’s raising the red flags as far as Easterby is concerned. 
 

And you nailed it on Watson. McNair had told him that he would be involved in the process. Right or wrong is for conjecture. But McNair told him that he would be involved. Only to days later start making decisions that were news to Watson when they broke. They literally lied right to his face in real-time. When was the last time a team jerked their legitimate All Pro quarterback around like that? When was the last time a quarterback of Watson’s status went from being the franchise cornerstone at the end of the season to officially requesting a trade less than a month later? (Watson has made it officially official this morning.)

 

And what has been the one thing constantly mentioned in connection with all of it?

 

Easterby. 
 

See? It’s an easily fascinating story once you start peeling the layers of the onion away. haha

 

30 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Easterby was also reported to be the reason the Texans fired their award winning VP of Communications, Amy Palcic last November. 

 

That upset JJ Watt, who voiced his displeasure loudly. There were dozens of incredulous posts, stories, and comments from journalists and players, too. Nobody could understand this crazy move. Then Easterby's name popped up as the driving force. Apparently she wasn't buying his snake oil, so she got fired.

 

I suppose Eaststreet will disparage JJ as just playing the diva too. I disagree.

 

Watson, Watt, Andre, and Amy Palcic all see through the charlatan and have taken their stance against his nonsense. Good for them!

 

The Palcic case is definitely weird, too. When that happened many in the media who worked with her through the years cited her as one of the better PR folks to deal with in the league.
 

Despite that she was just out of the blue fired one day. Because she was “no longer a cultural fit”. I mean a PR office has a lot of diverse tasks, but I don’t think conforming to a “cultural fit” is one of them. The PR office doesn’t have enough to do with actual football operations to need to fit anything. 
 

Last I heard she was considering legal action over the termination. 
 

It’s just another one of those instances where Easterby’s name comes up, and there’s a negative aura around it. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/28/some-think-david-culley-is-a-bridge-to-josh-mccown/

 

Interesting take. McCown was a surprising candidate when his name entered the conversation. Maybe he’s bought in, but they’re going to play it slow with him and focus on building him up to speed rather than try to get him to hit the ground running. 
 

I also was not aware that Culley was 65 until seeing that piece, and that got me to finally do a little looking into him of my own. A 65 year old position coach who has no head coaching experience of any kind (I’m not willing to count his stays as an assistant because that’s usually just a title and little else,) who came out of the deep, deep weeds to jump candidates like Eberflus and Bieniemy to the surprise of, well, the entire world. 
 

I’m willing to entertain the idea that he’s just a prop coach for McCown. At this point I feel like anyone who isn’t a prop to Easterby, or at least willing to try to be is getting rooted out of the organization. 
 

Curiouser and curiouser. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/28/some-think-david-culley-is-a-bridge-to-josh-mccown/

 

Interesting take. McCown was a surprising candidate when his name entered the conversation. Maybe he’s bought in, but they’re going to play it slow with him and focus on building him up to speed rather than try to get him to hit the ground running. 
 

I also was not aware that Culley was 65 until seeing that piece, and that got me to finally do a little looking into him of my own. A 65 year old position coach who has no head coaching experience of any kind (I’m not willing to count his stays as an assistant because that’s usually just a title and little else,) who came out of the deep, deep weeds to jump candidates like Eberflus and Bieniemy to the surprise of, well, the entire world. 
 

I’m willing to entertain the idea that he’s just a prop coach for McCown. At this point I feel like anyone who isn’t a prop to Easterby, or at least willing to try to be is getting rooted out of the organization. 
 

Curiouser and curiouser. 

It's a very weird move, if true, and I can almost understand such a ridiculous thing to be pulled by someone with no football experience like Easterby. The thing that gets me is Caserio is the GM and by all accounts, an extremely well regarded, intelligent FO guy. Maybe Easterby's influence is just that great? I don't want to delve too deep into conspiracy theory-like territory, but it's just such an odd situation down there...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2021 at 6:18 AM, crazycolt1 said:

This is what I was referring to with an earlier opinion.

The Texan's are Watson's team. He can either run, or he can lead. 

 

Sounding more and more like he's not interested in working things out, so sounds like run to me.

This has an NBA feel to it, and IMO, might be cancerous to the NFL. 

If I'm Houston, I play hardball, act like I'm not willing to trade, keep the price up, but in the end, take the best offer. The capital they can get for him makes a rebuild very quick, cleanses the locker room, and give you a lot of key pieces on rook contracts. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2021 at 8:51 AM, Shive said:

From everything I've read about him, he's viewed as essentially a snake-oil salesman. He was a team chaplain, then a "character coach" for the Patriots, and now he's the Texans' VP Of Football Operations. Not to steer the discussion towards religion, but it seems as though he wields his faith as a tool to manipulate, very similar to how a cult leader does. Here's an SI piece on him that does a good job illustrating how this guy works: https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job

LOL, I think the cult leader stuff is over the top. Do you expect a pastor to lose all elements of that life when conducting business. I sure don't. Do you think Kraft and Belichick are dumb enough to be manipulated, or sucked into a cult. I sure don't. 

 

On 1/28/2021 at 8:51 AM, Shive said:

I think BoB was the face of the disfunction that we saw, but I don't know that he was the driving force behind it. There's no way you have a guy like Andre Johnson come out and say the things he's said about Easterby if there's not something there. One of the quietest, keeps to himself star WR's ever...

Johnson has been out of the org for a while, so likely limited to hearing only from players. And like he said, he's friends with Hopkins and Watson, so not shocked at all to see a player supporting a player. IMO, Easterby is likely bringing the Pats personnel management style to Houston, which we all know the Pats personnel system is pure business and less player friendly. Belichick has always been seen to be one of the more ruthless guys in that area, but doesn't get criticized simply because of the success. 

On 1/28/2021 at 8:51 AM, Shive said:

 

The problem isn't whether or not he should have input as a player. It's that he was told specifically by the owner Cal McNair that he wanted Watson's input and for him to be involved in the process, just to turn around and completely block him out of the process. Had he not expressly told Watson those things, I don't think it would be much of an issue. You can't solicit the input of your star player, then tell him to kick rocks, because this is the kind of strife that happens as a result.

But he was allowed to give input. The article you linked even says he had multiple calls with leadership on the topic. To me, sounds like he simply didn't get the output he wanted. And again, input doesn't equate to "decision maker". It mean simply input. He gave input. That's not being told to kick rocks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

LOL, I think the cult leader stuff is over the top. Do you expect a pastor to lose all elements of that life when conducting business. I sure don't. Do you think Kraft and Belichick are dumb enough to be manipulated, or sucked into a cult. I sure don't. 

I'm not saying they were sucked into a cult, nor that he's a cult leader, just that he wields his faith as a tool to manipulate. Think more of a televangelist...

 

Quote

Johnson has been out of the org for a while, so likely limited to hearing only from players. And like he said, he's friends with Hopkins and Watson, so not shocked at all to see a player supporting a player.

Johnson was a special adviser to the general manager, coach, and scouting department in 2019, up until August 2020, and still remains with the Texans as a team ambassador at community outreach events. He's been working closely within the organization and mainly the FO. It's not just hearsay from players.

 

Quote

IMO, Easterby is likely bringing the Pats personnel management style to Houston, which we all know the Pats personnel system is pure business and less player friendly. Belichick has always been seen to be one of the more ruthless guys in that area, but doesn't get criticized simply because of the success. 

highly doubt that since the guy had never been in any sort of football-related role to even understand the Pats personnel management, it's not him bringing it there that is rubbing people the wrong way. He was elevated from a glorified motivational speaker to VP of Football Operations. By all accounts, he's the sole problem there.

 

To add to this:

 

 

The follow-up in his latest Senior Bowl piece said:

"Easterby is alleged to have sent texts like an abusive lover to this agent’s client but after he got no response Easterby took the time out of his day to then text the player's mother to let her know how concerned he was with the player's life choices. Seriously."

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Shive said:

I'm not saying they were sucked into a cult, nor that he's a cult leader, just that he wields his faith as a tool to manipulate. Think more of a televangelist...

 

Johnson was a special adviser to the general manager, coach, and scouting department in 2019, up until August 2020, and still remains with the Texans as a team ambassador at community outreach events. He's been working closely within the organization and mainly the FO. It's not just hearsay from players.

 

highly doubt that since the guy had never been in any sort of football-related role to even understand the Pats personnel management, it's not him bringing it there that is rubbing people the wrong way. He was elevated from a glorified motivational speaker to VP of Football Operations. By all accounts, he's the sole problem there.

 

To add to this:

 

 

The follow-up in his latest Senior Bowl piece said:

"Easterby is alleged to have sent texts like an abusive lover to this agent’s client but after he got no response Easterby took the time out of his day to then text the player's mother to let her know how concerned he was with the player's life choices. Seriously."

I've only seen Johnson's involvement be in team outreach. Regardless, doubt he's had involvement at a leadership perspective. It's funny to be honest that he was hired under Easterby's watch.. And Watson got his huge contract under Easterby. And Easterby took the opportunity to overtly oooze about Watson. 

 

Not saying he's good or bad, I'm just not going to put a lot of stock into a few players, nor agents. Or the "anonymous" sources... At the end of the day, Watson going outside the team was uncalled for. Leaking and tweeting is diva-ish to me. He could have kept it inside, and still achieved what he wants (leaving or staying). He chose to air the drama.

 

Overall, I give zero fudges who Houston chooses to have in the FO. At the end of the day, he was part of Kraft and BB's inner circle. As was Caserio. To suggest they are not attempting to bring the Pats brand of team management or model, is ignoring a lot of obvious things. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I've only seen Johnson's involvement be in team outreach. Regardless, doubt he's had involvement at a leadership perspective. It's funny to be honest that he was hired under Easterby's watch.. And Watson got his huge contract under Easterby. And Easterby took the opportunity to overtly oooze about Watson. 

 

Not saying he's good or bad, I'm just not going to put a lot of stock into a few players, nor agents. Or the "anonymous" sources... At the end of the day, Watson going outside the team was uncalled for. Leaking and tweeting is diva-ish to me. He could have kept it inside, and still achieved what he wants (leaving or staying). He chose to air the drama.

 

Overall, I give zero fudges who Houston chooses to have in the FO. At the end of the day, he was part of Kraft and BB's inner circle. As was Caserio. To suggest they are not attempting to bring the Pats brand of team management or model, is ignoring a lot of obvious things. 

I think this is something we'll just have to agree to disagree on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • 1.       Trevor Lawrence      Clemson              QB          6'6"        220 2.       Penei Sewell              Oregon OT          6'5"        330 3.       Ja'Marr Chase            LSU        WR         6'1"        200 4.       Zach Wilson                BYU        QB          6'3''        210 5.       Justin Fields Ohio State           QB          6'3''        228 6.       Patrick Surtain II       Alabama              CB           6'1"        203 7.       Jaylen Waddle           Alabama              WRS       5'10"      182 8.       Caleb Farley               Virginia Tech      CB           6'2"        197 9.       Kyle Pitts      Florida  TE           6'5"        239 10.   Micah Parsons           Penn State          ILB          6'2"        245 11.   DeVonta Smith          Alabama              WR         6'1"        175 12.   Trey Lance  North Dakota State         QB          6'3"        226 13.   Jaycee Horn                South Carolina   CB           6'0"        200 14.   Rashawn Slater         Northwestern   OT          6'4''        314 15.   Wyatt Davis Ohio State           OG         6'4"        315 16.   Gregory Rousseau   Miami (FL)           EDGE     6'5"        260 17.   Trevon Moehrig        TCU        S              6'2"        202 18.   Christian Darrisaw    Virginia Tech      OT          6'5''        314 19.   Christian Barmore    Alabama              DL3T      6'5"        310 20.   Rondale Moore         Purdue WRS       5'9"        175 21.   Kwity Paye  Michigan              EDGE     6'4"        277 22.   Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah Notre Dame       OLB        6'1''        216 23.   Asante Samuel Jr.     Florida State       CB           5'10"      180 24.   Samuel Cosmi            Texas    OT          6'7"        309 25.   Rashod Bateman      Minnesota          WR         6'1"        210 26.   Travis Etienne            Clemson              RB           5'10"      210 27.   Mac Jones   Alabama              QB          6'2''        214 28.   Daviyon Nixon           Iowa      DL3T      6'3"        305 29.   Richie Grant               UCF        S              6'0"        194 30.   Azeez Ojulari              Georgia EDGE     6'3"        240 31.   Nick Bolton Missouri               ILB          6'0"        235 32.   Alijah Vera-Tucker   USC        OG         6'4"        315 33.   Najee Harris               Alabama              RB           6'2"        230 34.   Kyle Trask    Florida  QB          6'4''        240 35.   Terrace Marshall      LSU        WR         6'3"        200 36.   Zaven Collins              Tulsa      OLB        6'4''        260 37.   Joseph Ossai              Texas    EDGE     6'4"        253 38.   Alex Leatherwood   Alabama              OT          6'6"        312 39.   Trey Smith  Tennessee          OG         6'6"        330 40.   Creed Humphrey     Oklahoma           OC          6'5"        320 41.   Tyson Campbell        Georgia CB           6'2"        180 42.   Jay Tufele    USC        DL3T      6'2"        310 43.   Andre Cisco Syracuse              S              6'0"        203 44.   Jalen Mayfield           Michigan              OT          6'5"        320 45.   Marvin Wilson           Florida State       DL1T      6'3"        319 46.   Dylan Moses              Alabama              OLB        6'3"        235 47.   Pat Freiermuth         Penn State          TE           6'5"        250 48.   Jayson Oweh             Penn State          EDGE     6'5"        257 49.   Greg Newsome II     Northwestern   CB           6'1"        190 50.   Tylan Wallace             Oklahoma State WR         6'0"        185 51.   Carlos Basham Jr.     Wake Forest       DL5T      6'5"        285 52.   Jabril Cox     LSU        OLB        6'2"        233 53.   Tyler Shelvin              LSU        DL1T      6'3"        346 54.   Kadarius Toney         Florida  WR         5'11''      190 55.   Elijah Molden            Washington        CB           5'10"      186 56.   Elijah Moore              Ole Miss               WRS       5'9"        184 57.   Ben Cleveland           Georgia OG         6'6"        335 58.   Jevon Holland            Oregon S              6'1"        196 59.   Landon Dickerson    Alabama              OC          6'6''        325 60.   Jaylen Twyman         Pitt         DL5T      6'2"        290 61.   Shakur Brown            Michigan State  CB           5'11"      190 62.   Alim McNeill               North Carolina State       DL3T      6'2"        320 63.   Hamsah Nasirildeen Florida State       S              6'4"        215 64.   Jaelan Phillips             Miami (FL)           EDGE     6'5"        255 65.   Shaun Wade               Ohio State           CB           6'1"        194 66.   Kenneth Gainwell    Memphis             RB           5'11"      191 67.   Patrick Jones II          Pitt         EDGE     6'5"        260 68.   Amon-Ra St. Brown USC        WR         6'1"        195 69.   Cameron McGrone Michigan              OLB        6'1''        232 70.   Darius Stills West Virginia      DL5T      6'1"        285 71.   Jackson Carman        Clemson              OT          6'5"        335 72.   Joe Tryon     Washington        EDGE     6'5"        262 73.   Ifeatu Melifonwu     Syracuse              CB           6'3"        212 74.   Talanoa Hufanga      USC        S              6'1"        215 75.   Chazz Surratt              North Carolina   OLB        6'3"        230 76.   Josh Myers Ohio State           OC          6'5''        312 77.   Liam Eichenberg       Notre Dame       OT          6'6"        302 78.   Trey Sermon              Ohio State           RB           6'0"        224 79.   Javonte Williams       North Carolina   RB           5'10"      220 80.   Marlon Williams        UCF        WR         6'0"        215 81.   Michael Carter          North Carolina   RBC        5'9"        195 82.   Paris Ford    Pittsburgh           S              6'0"        190 83.   Levi Onwuzurike      Washington        DL3T      6'3"        293 84.   Dillon Radunz            North Dakota State         OT          6'6''        299 85.   Brevin Jordan            Miami (FL)           TE           6'3"        245 86.   Deonte Brown           Alabama              OG         6'4''        350 87.   Walker Little               Stanford              OT          6'7"        313 88.   Hamilcar Rashed      Oregon State     EDGE     6'3''        248 89.   Chuba Hubbard         Oklahoma State RB           6'1"        207 90.   D'Wayne Eskridge    W Michigan        WRS       5'9"        188 91.   Quincy Roche            Miami (FL)           EDGE     6'4"        235 92.   Anthony Schwartz   Auburn WR         6'0"        197 93.   Jamie Newman         Georgia QB          6'4"        230 94.   Jaelon Darden           North Texas        WRS       5'9"        174 95.   Dyami Brown             North Carolina   WR         6'1"        185 96.   Teven Jenkins            Oklahoma State OT          6'6''        320 97.   Seth Williams             Auburn WR         6'2"        224 98.   Tutu Atwell Louisville              WRS       5'9"        156 99.   Baron Browning        Ohio State           ILB          6'3"        248 100.           Ronnie Perkins  Oklahoma           OLB        6'4'         230 101.           Dazz Newsome North Carolina   WR         5'11"      175 102.           Paulson Adebo  Stanford              CB           6'1"        190 103.           Richard LeCounte III        Georgia S              5'11"      190 104.           Damonte Coxie Memphis             WR         6'3''        197 105.           Aaron Robinson UCF        CB           5'11''      193 106.           Jaret Patterson Buffalo RB           5'9"        195 107.           Drake Jackson    Kentucky             OC          6'2''        292 108.           Sage Surratt        Wake Forest       WR         6'2"        215 109.           Dayo Odeyingbo              Vanderbilt           DL5T      6'5''        279 110.           Israel Mukuamu               South Carolina   CB           6'3"        205 111.           Hunter Long       Boston College  TE           6'5"        253 112.           Kenny Yeboah   Ole Miss               TE           6'4''        240 113.           Marlon Tuipulotu             USC        DL3T      6'1"        308 114.           Divine Deablo    Virginia Tech      S              6'3''        226 115.           Khalil Herbert    Virginia Tech      RBC        5'9"        205 116.           Rashad Weaver Pitt         EDGE     6'5"        270 117.           Eric Stokes          Georgia CB           6'1"        185 118.           Ar'Darius Washington    TCU        S              5'8"        175 119.           Aaron Banks       Notre Dame       OG         6'5"        330 120.           Pete Werner      Ohio State           ILB          6'3''        239 121.           Chris Rumph II   Duke     EDGE     6'3"        225 122.           Tony Poljan        Virginia TE           6'7"        265 123.           Trey Hill                Georgia OC          6'4"        330 124.           Cary Angeline    North Carolina State       TE           6'7"        250 125.           Ihmir Smith-Marsette    Iowa      WR         6'2"        175 126.           Kylin Hill               Mississippi State               RB           5'11"      215 127.           Charles Snowden             Virginia OLB        6'6"        232 128.           Caden Sterns     Texas    S              6'0"        210 129.           Rodarius Williams             Oklahoma State CB           6'0"        193 130.           Quinn Meinerz  UW-Whitewater              OC          6'3"        320 131.           Keith Taylor        Washington        CB           6'3"        191 132.           Elijah Mitchell    Louisiana             RB           5'11"      221 133.           Tedarrell Slaton Florida  DL1T      6'5"        358 134.           Pooka Williams  Kansas  RBC        5'10"      170 135.           Olaijah Griffin    USC        CB           6'0''        170 136.           Torrance Marable            Coastal Carolina                RBC        5'10"      200 137.           Damon Hazelton              Missouri               WR         6'2"        215 138.           Tariq Thompson               San Diego State S              6'0"        200 139.           Ta'Quon Graham              Texas    DL3T      6'4"        294 140.           K.J. Britt                Auburn ILB          6'0"        236 141.           Monty Rice         Georgia OLB        6'1"        235 142.           Kylen Granson   SMU      TE           6'2''        235 143.           Kellen Mond      Texas A&M         QB          6'3"        217 144.           Paddy Fisher      Northwestern   ILB          6'4"        246 145.           Amari Rodgers  Clemson              WR         5'9"        210 146.           Jamien Sherwood            Auburn S              6'2''        220 147.           Max Duffy           Kentucky             P             6'1"        185 148.           Spencer K. Brown             Northern Iowa  OT          6'9''        321 149.           Nico Collins         Michigan              WR         6'4"        222 150.           Tommy Togiai    Ohio State           DL3T      6'2"        300 151.           JaCoby Stevens LSU        S              6'1''        228 152.           Jordan Smith      UAB       EDGE     6'7"        255 153.           Tyler Vaughns   USC        WR         6'2"        190 154.           Jack Anderson   Texas Tech          OG         6'5"        315 155.           Bobby Brown III Texas A&M         DL1T      6'3"        325 156.           Darren Hall          San Diego State CB           6'0"        190 157.           Donovan Stiner Florida  S              6'1"        203 158.           Wyatt Hubert    Kansas State       EDGE     6'3"        270 159.           Thomas Graham Jr.         Oregon CB           5'10"      193 160.           Shemar Jean-Charles      Appalachian State            CB           5'11"      190 161.           Malik Herring     Georgia DL5T      6'3"        283 162.           Daelin Hayes      Notre Dame       EDGE     6'4"        268 163.           Tommy Kraemer              Notre Dame       OG         6'6"        317 164.           Marco Wilson    Florida  CB           6'0"        190 165.           Trill Williams       Syracuse              CB           6'2'         198 166.           Shaka Toney       Penn State          EDGE     6'3"        243 167.           Jimmy Morrissey              Pitt         OC          6'3"        305 168.           Sam Ehlinger      Texas    QB          6'3"        225 169.           Sadarius Hutcherson      South Carolina   OG         6'4"        320 170.           D.J. Daniel           Georgia CB           6'0''        183 171.           Camryn Bynum Cal          CB           6'0''        198 172.           Jermar Jefferson              Oregon State     RBC        5'9"        215 173.           Jose Borregales Miami (FL)           PK           5'10"      205 174.           Alaric Jackson    Iowa      OT          6'6"        315 175.           Brennan Eagles Texas    WR         6'2"        225 176.           Tommy Doyle    Miami (OH)         OT          6'8''        326 177.           Jonathan Marshall           Arkansas              DL1T      6'3"        317 178.           Shane Buechele SMU      QB          6'1"        207 179.           Joshua Kaindoh Florida State       EDGE     6'7"        261 180.           James Hudson   Cincinnati            OT          6'5"        310 181.           Benjamin St-Juste            Minnesota          CB           6'3"        200 182.           Demetric Felton                UCLA     RBC        5'9"        189 183.           Victor Dimukeje Duke     EDGE     6'2"        265 184.           Xavier Kelly         Arkansas              DL3T      6'4"        305 185.           Kary Vincent Jr. LSU        CB           5'10"      182 186.           Noah Gray           Duke     TE           6'4"        240 187.           Adrian Ealy          Oklahoma           OT          6'6"        327 188.           Michal Menet   Penn State          OC          6'4''        305 189.           Pressley Harvin III            Georgia Tech      P             6'0"        255 190.           Amen Ogbongbemiga    Oklahoma State OLB        6'1"        231 191.           T.J. Vasher          Texas Tech          WR         6'6"        210 192.           Josh Imatorbhebhe         Illinois   WR         6'2"        215 193.           Matt Bushman  BYU        TE           6'5"        245 194.           Stevie Scott        Indiana RB           6'2"        231 195.           Brady Christensen           BYU        OT          6'6''        300 196.           Quintin Morris   Bowling Green  TE           6'4"        248 197.           Riley Patterson Memphis             PK           6'0"        190 198.           Malcolm Koonce              Buffalo EDGE     6'3"        250 199.           Robert Rochell   Central Arkansas              CB           6'0''        195 200.           Ben Mason         Michigan              FB           6'3"        254
    • It's kind of like comparing what I did in the bathroom to what you did in the bathroom, but Collins played worse than Painter in 2011, on the same team, with the same staff. I didn't say Painter played better, because that word doesn't seem appropriate here. But I thought Collins was clearly worse, and a bad fit for our offense at the time.   It was always weird to bring Collins in as the starter the way they did. I get signing him. Making him the starter wasn't a good idea. Of course, the alternative was Curtis Painter, so it probably wouldn't have mattered.
    • Round 4 97.   Jacksonville (1-15) - Javonte Williams, RB, North Carolina 98.   NY Jets (2-14) - Chubba Hubbard, RB, Oklahoma State 99.   Atlanta (4-12) - Paris Ford, S, Pittsburgh 100.  New Orleans from Houston (4-12) - Dyami Brown, WR, North Carolina 101.  Cleveland - from Philadelphia (4-11-1) - Hamilcar Rashed, EDGE, Oregon 102.  Cincinnati (4-11-1) - Tutu Atwell, WR, Louisville 103.  Detroit (5-11) 104.  New Orleans from Houston from Carolina (5-11) 105.  Denver (5-11) 106.  Dallas (6-10) 107.  NY Giants (6-10) 108.  San Francisco (6-10) 109.  LA Chargers (7-9) 110.  Minnesota (7-9) 111.  LA Chargers from New England (7-9) 112.  Las Vegas from Miami - from Las Vegas (8-8) 113.  Eagles from Carolina from Houston - from Arizona (8-8) 114.  Miami (10-6) 115.  WFT* (7-9) 116.  Minnesota - from Chicago* (8-8) 117.  Tennessee* (11-5) 118.  Las Vegas from Indianapolis* (11-5) 119.  Pittsburgh* (12-4) 120.  Seattle* (12-4) 121.  Jacksonville - from LA Rams* (10-6) 122.  Baltimore* (11-5) 123.  Chicago from Cleveland* (11-5) 124.  New Orleans* (12-4) 125.  Minnesota - from Buffalo* (13-3) 126.  Green Bay* (13-3) 127.  Kansas City* (14-2) 128.  Tampa Bay* (11-5)     Arizona -> Houston: De'Andre Hopkins Buffalo -> Minnesota: Stefon Diggs Chicago -> Minnesota: 2020 picks LA Rams -> Jacksonville: Jalen Ramsey Philadelphia -> Cleveland: Genard Avery Las Vegas -> Miami: Raekwon McMillan Miami -> Las Vegas: Lynn Bowden Jr. Carolina -> Houston: Tua trade Houston -> Carolina: Tua trade Carolina -> Eagles: Zach Ertz trade Indianapolis -> Las Vegas: Carr trade New England -> LA Chargers: Patrick Surtain Cleveland -> Chicago: Jarvis Landry trade Houston -> New Orleans: Lattimore trade
    • Since the Manning era started...I think so. At least his stats as a starting QB for the Colts would seem to indicate that. But overall, Painter and Tolzien were worse QBs.    
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...