Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eberflus interviewing with Houston


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Texans' front office:  

Hes there to get Intel on Watson   

During an off-season where people are screaming about how bad the interview process is being handled by teams over-looking African-Americans....   Houston now pours gasoline on the fire by interviewin

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

He wants to be a head coach 

 

With a disgruntled QB, no first round pick, and a dismal defense? I'd pass

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sumo63 said:

Wallet Cabbage

 

No money is worth dealing with the boat load of problems they have.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

With a disgruntled QB, no first round pick, and a dismal defense? I'd pass

Well one he hasn’t taken the job he’s just interviewing.  Most people will tell you to take every interview you can just to get your name out there and to practice interviewing.  It’s also a chance to learn up close how things really are down there and then make a decision on if he wants that job or not rather than relying on “reports”.  If he feels uncomfortable with it he can always withdraw after the interview.  
 

Also I am sure he feels he can fix those things, all coaches do.  They also know there are only 32 of these jobs and if you are too picky you might never get your chance.  He’s gone through two off-seasons where he was a “hot” candidate and hasn’t gotten a job offer and doesn’t appear to have been that close to getting one.  So he might be looking at things like I might never get this chance again.  
 

Is it the most ideal job out there?  No.  However if you can smooth things over with Watson there are a lot worse jobs to have.  Also Watson might be unhappy but he’s pretty much stuck.  He has a long term contract so if the Texans don’t want to move him they don’t have too.  He can’t threaten to hold out but unless he’s prepared to go Barry Sanders and retire, which I don’t think he is, that’s a hollow threat because of the way NFL contracts work and years of service on them.  
 

If they do decide to move him though the Texans are going to get a kings ransom from someone that will fix their draft pick problem.  So either way if you have a GM and coach who know what they are doing it’s not the worst job out there.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

He’ll have better options, even if it’s not this year. 

Maybe.  Better coaches than him waited longer or never got their chance.  Ask Arians about how long he had to wait to get a chance to be a head coach.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well one he hasn’t taken the job he’s just interviewing.  Most people will tell you to take every interview you can just to get your name out there and to practice interviewing.  It’s also a chance to learn up close how things really are down there and then make a decision on if he wants that job or not rather than relying on “reports”.  If he feels uncomfortable with it he can always withdraw after the interview.  
 

Also I am sure he feels he can fix those things, all coaches do.  They also know there are only 32 of these jobs and if you are too picky you might never get your chance.  He’s gone through two off-seasons where he was a “hot” candidate and hasn’t gotten a job offer and doesn’t appear to have been that close to getting one.  So he might be looking at things like I might never get this chance again.  
 

Is it the most ideal job out there?  No.  However if you can smooth things over with Watson there are a lot worse jobs to have.  Also Watson might be unhappy but he’s pretty much stuck.  He has a long term contract so if the Texans don’t want to move him they don’t have too.  He can’t threaten to hold out but unless he’s prepared to go Barry Sanders and retire, which I don’t think he is, that’s a hollow threat because of the way NFL contracts work and years of service on them.  
 

If they do decide to move him though the Texans are going to get a kings ransom from someone that will fix their draft pick problem.  So either way if you have a GM and coach who know what they are doing it’s not the worst job out there.  

 

Kings ransom or not, you're basically starting from scratch with basically nothing to build around. I don't see the attraction even if it is the head job. If he wants the job, he can have it, but I don't see him being there for long. Texans have nothing to build a cover 2 defense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

He’ll have better options, even if it’s not this year. 

While this may be true in theory, if the Colts D takes a step back next year, and you never know with injuries and such, he may miss his opportunity to be a head coach.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CR91 said:

 

Kings ransom or not, you're basically starting from scratch with basically nothing to build around. I don't see the attraction even if it is the head job. If he wants the job, he can have it, but I don't see him being there for long. Texans have nothing to build a cover 2 defense.

It’s that he wants to be a head coach.  There are only 32 of these jobs.  That’s the appeal.  You can’t wait forever and very hard for ambitious people to pass on an opportunity.  You might not see him being there that long and I fully get why you think that but I can promise you no head coach in the NFL doesn’t think he can fix any problem and turn things around, a lot thrive off that challenge.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s that he wants to be a head coach.  There are only 32 of these jobs.  That’s the appeal.  You can’t wait forever and very hard for ambitious people to pass on an opportunity.  You might not see him being there that long and I fully get why you think that but I can promise you no head coach in the NFL doesn’t think he can fix any problem and turn things around, a lot thrive off that challenge.  

 

Good luck to him then. All I know is, I wouldn't want that to be my first shot as a head coach. You don't get many second opportunities.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Good luck to him then. All I know is, I wouldn't want that to be my first shot as a head coach. You don't get many second opportunities.

You also don’t get many first opportunities.  Also, just about any team that is looking for a head coach is going to be starting over or they wouldn’t be looking for a head coach in the first place.  I mean it’s not like the Chiefs or Packers are going to fire their head coach after this year.  
 

The Texans job is either going to have the franchise QB in place already which is the hardest thing to find or a boat load of draft picks from trading him to let you build the team you want.  There are a lot worse jobs to take over.  
 

Also, again he’s just interviewing.  He hasn’t been hired or even offered the job yet.  Let’s not send him packing yet.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You also don’t get many first opportunities.  Also, just about any team that is looking for a head coach is going to be starting over or they wouldn’t be looking for a head coach in the first place.  I mean it’s not like the Chiefs or Packers are going to fire their head coach after this year.  
 

The Texans job is either going to have the franchise QB in place already which is the hardest thing to find or a boat load of draft picks from trading him to let you build the team you want.  There are a lot worse jobs to take over.  
 

Also, again he’s just interviewing.  He hasn’t been hired or even offered the job yet.  Let’s not send him packing yet.  

 

Like I said, if he wants to job, good luck Flus. I just don't get the appeal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Like I said, if he wants to job, good luck Flus. I just don't get the appeal.

Like I said the appeal is that it’s a head coaching job.  That’s really it.  Coaches don’t look at things like we do.  We look at something and goes that’s a mess I don’t want to deal with it.  Coaches look at it like here’s how I am going to fix it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Like I said the appeal is that it’s a head coaching job.  That’s really it.  Coaches don’t look at things like we do.  We look at something and goes that’s a mess I don’t want to deal with it.  Coaches look at it like here’s how I am going to fix it.  

 

Tell that to McDaniels

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watson has a lot of respect for Flus. Maybe they are trying to salvage that.  That entire ownership is a mess. No job is worth that. Especially with no draft picks and cap space.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Watson has a lot of respect for Flus. Maybe they are trying to salvage that.  That entire ownership is a mess. No job is worth that. Especially with no draft picks and cap space.

 

How do you know that?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Tell that to McDaniels

Who took his first chance and had to be talked out of his second chance to the point it’s been reported by some that he’s head coach in waiting in New England.  
 

Also what he did was the exception to the rule.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

https://www.radio.com/sportsradio610/sports/houston-texans/reports-texans-request-to-interview-colts-dc-matt-eberflus
 

he called him a great coach.  You don’t do that about someone you don’t have respect for.  

 

So what? BB does it all the time and I don't think he ever means it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Who took his first chance and had to be talked out of his second chance to the point it’s been reported by some that he’s head coach in waiting in New England.  
 

Also what he did was the exception to the rule.

 

Still it happened and as much as coaches don't want to, the first question is always about the QB. Same with Luck and I bet everyone that interviewed for houston have asked about Watson.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CR91 said:

 

So what? BB does it all the time and I don't think he ever means it.

It’s all we have to go on.  Anytime Watson has talked about Matt it’s always been with respect and even talked to him after the last game about what the Colts did on defense.  His actions seems to show he does respect him.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CR91 said:

 

Still it happened and as much as coaches don't want to, the first question is always about the QB. Same with Luck and I bet everyone that interviewed for houston have asked about Watson.

Coaches also look at the support system a team has

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s all we have to go on.  Anytime Watson has talked about Matt it’s always been with respect and even talked to him after the last game about what the Colts did on defense.  His actions seems to show he does respect him.  

That could be how he was raised

   

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Still it happened and as much as coaches don't want to, the first question is always about the QB. Same with Luck and I bet everyone that interviewed for houston have asked about Watson.

There are always exceptions.  That doesn’t make them common place.

 

You asked what the appeal is.  The appeal is its a head coaching job.  Unlike McDaniels Matt hasn’t been a head coach before and doesn’t have the Colts promising him if he stays he’s their next head coach.  So it’s not really apples to apples your comparing there.
 

I am sure Fluse will ask about Watson.  I mean one way or another he’s a huge part of their future.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watch him take it and hire mcdaniels as his oc.  That might be worth  it for me.  
 

one other thing he never chose to be with reich.  He expected to be working with mcd.  Who knows maybe he isn’t happy with that but had no choice.   I don’t think this is true but it’s a possibility 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I think it’ll be closer to 5/80-83    
    • I hope so   I do think as you get later and later on the LT spot, the more likely they arent going to be ready for day 1   I do think that Eichenberg MIGHT be there As well as Leatherwood, and Christianson (BYU)   Eichenberg may be the most ready for NFL (Day one), but  All 3 may need some polish before they start at LT
    • At 21: Radunz is my favorite option to get the most important need filled right away with a stud OT.  I love his game, he's got some nasty to him and good feet, moves really well in space too he's my kind of OT.  Rankings are all over the place but this guy probably won't make round 2 and he's my favorite OT in this class.  Need plus value here IMO.   At 54: Friermuth is my favorite TE in this class.  Now I realize everything's about measurables and athleticism and everyone's swooning over Pitts who is a fine prospect.  But guys like Friermuth who bring a safe target across the middle that DBs will bounce off of offer a lot of value to your QB.  When this guy gets the ball in the secondary you can see the DBs hate taking him on.  Guys like that can have a wear down effect on a secondary which will always have value even in an age where speed is more valued than ever.  This would be need plus value as well.   At 127: Amari Rodgers is going to be a fine slot receiver in this league.  Teams will feel him right away too.  Good chance he goes off the board before this point but him being in play here is a testament to the depth of this class, which means there are other options to finish up your WR room with this pick no matter how this draft goes down.   CB and WR have multiple guys I like in rounds 3 and 4, as both groups are very deep.  I think from an efficiency perspective getting those two rooms some help makes sense in those rounds.
    • If I added .....  Realistic pick at 21 vs overall favorite   I would say Paye, Darrisaw, Jenkins, in that order   If all 3 are gone .... Im trading the pick for more picks 
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...