Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dome/ Indoor teams rarely win SuperBowls....


Recommended Posts

Does teams that play outside most of the time, have a better chance of winning a SuperBowl?

 

I know it's nothing new, but looking at the past winners, only a few Dome/indoor teams have won the big one.

Latest indoor team to win was the Saints in 2009, and before that, the Colts in 2006. 

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_champions

 

So my question is, do you think it really matters or have any significant part to say for a teams chances of winning i January, that they play most of their games indoor?

 

Sometimes it looks like, that indoor teams do worse in January compared to outdoor teams, that are used to play outside and that they just have easier to win in the elements.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Does teams that play outside most of the time, have a better chance of winning a SuperBowl?

 

I know it's nothing new, but looking at the past winners, only a few Dome/indoor teams have won the big one.

Latest indoor team to win was the Saints in 2009, and before that, the Colts in 2006. 

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_champions

 

So my question is, do you think it really matters or have any significant part to say for a teams chances of winning i January, that they play most of their games indoor?

 

Sometimes it looks like, that indoor teams do worse in January compared to outdoor teams, that are used to play outside and that they just have easier to win in the elements.

 

 

There are only 10 teams with dome/retractable roofs in the league. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

There are only 10 teams with dome/retractable roofs in the league. 

I know the majority of the teams play outside... but when looking at the teams that qualify for the playoffs, there are always dome teams in the mix, so its more even/ balanced regarding the number of teams playing outside vs. indoor.

 

Im note 100% sure, but I think that the last dome team to reach the super bowl was the Falcons who had homefield advantage throughout the playoffs, as the cowboys lost to GreenBay. 

 

But beside that, its very rare that dome teams do well in the postseason.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

I know the majority of the teams play outside... but when looking at the teams that qualify for the playoffs, there are always dome teams in the mix, so its more even/ balanced regarding the number of teams playing outside vs. indoor.

 

Im note 100% sure, but I think that the last dome team to reach the super bowl was the Falcons who had homefield advantage throughout the playoffs, as the cowboys lost to GreenBay. 

 

But beside that, its very rare that dome teams do well in the postseason.

 

I think it has more to do with certain teams just having more talent. GMs, drafting and the coaching have a lot to do with it. If you look at the history of the NFL it is a cycle of teams. 

Those teams who seem to never make "it" are the ones who are mismanaged. I am not sure the weather has anything to do with it. 

Good debate regardless. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think it has more to do with certain teams just having more talent. GMs, drafting and the coaching have a lot to do with it. If you look at the history of the NFL it is a cycle of teams. 

Those teams who seem to never make "it" are the ones who are mismanaged. I am not sure the weather has anything to do with it. 

Good debate regardless. 

 

I agree that some teams are better managed than other and that some teams just never make it.

 

I just wonder if a team that plays outdoor more than a dome team, in a way are better equipped or prepared to do better in the postseason, as they more often have the elements to work with and against compared to a dome team.

 

A dome team always (more often) have the perfect conditions for playing football in, than a team that plays regularly outside, and in that way, dome teams in a way need "perfect" conditions to perform.

 

I remember a Colts team with Manning that were blown out in the postseason several times, when they had to play outside.

So it took them a couple of tries before cracking the big one in New England, but more often than other teams, they failed.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As a fan who has attended winter games in Indy, Cleveland, Nashville and New Jersey, I'm fine with having reduced odds of winning the Super Bowl, while having a domed stadium with a Skywalk connected to my hotel and a lot of the fine local restaurants and watering holes.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Bengals Round 1 Draft History: 2020 QB Joe Burrow – Torn ACL/MCL IR 2019 LT Jonah Williams – PUP Torn Labrum left shoulder 2018 C Billy Price – Foot injury missed 6 games – no longer starter 2017 WR John Ross – IR knee injury 2016 DB William Jackson – torn pectoral muscle IR 2015 OT Cedric Ogbuehi – entered camp with prior ACL injury – decline 5th year   Seems to me someone broke a mirror and the Bengals are having 7 years of bad luck drafting players in Round 1.  In 2014 DB Darqueze Dennard was healthy scratch most of the season.   Colts trade C Ryan Kelly to Bengals get R1P5 and Cincy gets Colts R5P148 Colts trade R1P21 to GB R1P29 (160) get GB R3P92 (132) and GB R5P156 (27.8)   Bengals                                Colts                                                      Packers                                             R1P5 (CIN-IND)                                     R1P21 (IND-GB) R1P29 (GB- IND)                                               R2P38 - RT                          R2P54                                                    R2P62 R3P70                                  R3P92 (GB-IND)                                R4P101                                R4P117                                                 R4P125 R5P132                                R5P156 (GB-IND)                             R5P148 (IND-CIN) P6P165                                R6P180                                                 R6P188 R7P195                                R7P211                                                 R7P218 R7P197   Restructured Contracts Grover Stewart, Jack Doyle, Kenny Moore II   FA Additions: QB Carson Wentz FS Marcus Williams 16m MLB Jayon Brown 6m TE Hunter Henry 11.5m   Draft R1P5 (CIN-IND) - LT Charles Darrisaw (VT) R1P29 (GB- IND) - C Landon Dickerson (Alabama) R2P54 - WR Nico Collins (Michigan) R3P92 (GB-IND) – DE Jordan Smith (UAB) played both edges R4P117 RDE Wyatt Hubert (Kansas St) R5P156 (GB-IND) – C Ryan McCollum (Texas AM) R6P180 OT Grant Hermanns (Purdue) R7P211 RB Gerrid Doaks (Cincy)   QB Carson Wentz, Jacob Eason RB Jonathan Taylor, Gerrid Doaks, Nyheim Hines, Jordan Wilkins WR T.Y. Hilton, Nico Collins, Zach Pascal, DeMichael Harris WR Michael Pitman Jr., Ashton Dulin, J.J. Nelson, Quartney Davis WR Parris Campbell, Dezmon Patmon, Gary Jennings TE Hunter Henry, Jack Doyle, Mo Alie-Cox, Noah Togiai LT Charles Darrisaw, Grant Hermanns LG Quenton Nelson, Joey Hunt C Landon Dickerson, Ryan McCollum RG Mark Glowinski, Jake Eldrenkamp RT Branden Smith, Danny Pinter, Will Holden   LDE Ben Banogu, Jordan Smith, Kemoko Turay LDT DeForest Buckner, Tyquan Lewis RDT Grover Stewart, Taylor Stallworth RDE Al-Quadin Muhammad, Wyatt Hubert WLB Darius Leonard, Matthew Adams MLB Jayon Brown, Zaire Franklin, Jordan Glasgow SLB Bobby Okereke, E.J. Speed LCB Rock Ya-Sin, Kenny Moore II, Isaiah Rogers SS Khari Willis, Tavon Wilson, Rolan Miligan FS Marcus Williams, Julian Blackmon, George Odum, Ibraheim Campbell RCB Xavier Rhodes, T.J. Carrie, Marvell Tell III, Tremon Smith
    • Not sure if we're better, but I think we have more hope. I for one, am just happy we checked the box. And I'm growing more confident it works out.
    • Not sure if it was ever a "character" issue. Sounds more like attitude to me. Purely my opinion, but he's a smart guy, has likely read everything written about him, and knows he needs to embrace this chance. If he chokes at Indy, he's likely done. Hoping he's self aware, and comes in with a fresh perspective and attitude. Regardless, I'm not sure fixing him, is really a monumental task the more I read, and the more I think about things. If his mechanics fell apart in one year, he should be able to fix them in an offseason. Sounds like he just got sloppy, and that was compounded by a lot of external things. Or one could say a lot of external things created a negative situation, and he became sloppy (perhaps stopped caring).   Whatever it is/was, I'm just not near as worried as I once was. Like I said, I think he'll return to at minimum 2019 form, and not sure Reich will have a lot to do with it. I think the freshness (new team, new city) will create a new attitude. And the OL and overall quality of the team in Indy will resonate.   I think I'm back to being more concerned about Reich lol... I don't buy all the QB whisperer stuff. Sure he's had musical chairs to deal with, but overall I credit his conservative scheme more than anything. And that's great when you're working with chaos or musical chairs. Not sure it'll be good enough to go deep once the chaos and musical chairs stop.
    • With some of the stuff that was going on with the Eagles it's not unreasonable of me to think it didn't have an effect on the whole QB/coaches/GM relationships with each other. And none of it being good for the team. Regardless I am not going to point a finger at anybody. I don't care. All I care about is from now forward.  IMO we are a better team right now that we were a few days ago.   
    • I think Reich will turn him around and beleives in him. If Reich had a real issue with his character, I doubt the trade would habe happened.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...