Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Love Of Brissett is sickening

lennymoore24

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not going to go hunt thru the memes to find who didn't want to compare JB to Painter, or who wanted to pay JB $10 million- BUT:

Painter finished his career with a 57% completion rate. JB has a 59% career rate. In 2020 JB completed 25% for a Total Offense of 17 yds. So yes- he's Painter.....

Love him or hate him- with the smaller NFL Cap, I doubt anyone will pay JB more than minimum next year at best.  Cam Newton and Jameus Winston played for $1 million. My expectation is that the Colts will find a starter and have Eason as backup so they can resign their stars, and JB is gone.

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

For those who want to complain about Brissett's salary you have to keep in mind he was paid a starting QBs money because he was a starter at that time. 

It's always the same. Using hindsight to make an issue without looking at the reasons why. 

I have no problems with his past. But in the Colts future, with a smaller cap, players are going to be cut that we think have value. I believe the Colts would rather keep Q, Smith, Leonard and a new Left Tackle happy and here than a QB with 17 yds Offense and a QB rating of 39.  Winston was a backup, and Bortles bounced around Practice Squads. I don't want either of them, but both bring more productivity than 17 yds Offense and a 25% completetion percentage- for a lot less.

8 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

I have no problems with his past. But in the Colts future, with a smaller cap, players are going to be cut that we think have value. I believe the Colts would rather keep Q, Smith, Leonard and a new Left Tackle happy and here than a QB with 17 yds Offense and a QB rating of 39.  Winston was a backup, and Bortles bounced around Practice Squads. I don't want either of them, but both bring more productivity than 17 yds Offense and a 25% completetion percentage- for a lot less.

Using his ratings this season to point a finger at him is nonsense.

He was not used as a passing QB at all. He was used to QB sneak or to handoff. But don't let that get in the way of your narrative. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think we re-sign him to a 1 year deal. JMO but nobody knows what Ballard is thinking right now. Houston still has plenty left in the tank.

Houston was really good this year.  But its up to him too, not just Ballard.  I'd definitly sign him for what he made this year.  The dude was a stud this year actually.

1 hour ago, jimmy g said:

I'm not going to go hunt thru the memes to find who didn't want to compare JB to Painter, or who wanted to pay JB $10 million- BUT:

Painter finished his career with a 57% completion rate. JB has a 59% career rate. In 2020 JB completed 25% for a Total Offense of 17 yds. So yes- he's Painter.....

Love him or hate him- with the smaller NFL Cap, I doubt anyone will pay JB more than minimum next year at best.  Cam Newton and Jameus Winston played for $1 million. My expectation is that the Colts will find a starter and have Eason as backup so they can resign their stars, and JB is gone.

Exaclty.  The dude isn't good,.  Thats really all there is to it .  IF he had been a high draft pick, (and keep in mind, he was a de facto 28 million dollar QB this year) , he woud be thought of as a bust and everyone would have moved on.  

My wife is one of the nicest people you'd every meet, but she still can't play QB in the NFL.

I don't give a rat's glute the dude is nice.  Who cares?  I agree witht the OP in tone amnd fact.  Move on from Jacoby.  This is a business not a sewing circle.

Just now, jimmy g said:

My point is, there'll be less money, I Hope Eason can produce more than 17 yds/ 25% completions, and he's already on the roster

I hope Eason produces zero, because he'll likely be the backup. I want our starter to be productive. 

JB actually was far more productive than just 17 yards in 2020, and you not acknowledging that feels intentionally dishonest.

I'm very ready to move on from JB. But dragging him like this is nonsense. This thread is mind blowing in its ugliness and negativity. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I hope Eason produces zero, because he'll likely be the backup. I want our starter to be productive. 

JB actually was far more productive than just 17 yards in 2020, and you not acknowledging that feels intentionally dishonest.

I'm very ready to move on from JB. But dragging him like this is nonsense. This thread is mind blowing in its ugliness and negativity. 

I think that is exaggerative.  What is so ugly about what has been posted?  

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I think that is exaggerative.  What is so ugly about what has been posted?  

Why would people liking JB be sickening? 

Think about that. It makes someone sick that other people like a player on our team. It makes someone sick that the team speaks highly of him. 

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Why would people liking JB be sickening? 

Think about that. It makes someone sick that other people like a player on our team. It makes someone sick that the team speaks highly of him. 

I took it he was talking about the orgs attitude and handling of JB rather than people liking the guy.  

and slang usage of “the love” more like over emphasis on JB

Let's put it another way, if this is more about the organisation's handling of him. What were they meant to do? Cut him? Not going to happen with all the uncertainty around this season. Let alone the dead cap hit. 

So he's a Colt, what you going to do when asked directly about him? Say sure he's a great guy, but a lousy QB. Of course you talk your guys up, that's what you do. Add into that he does seem to be a genuinely loved guy in the locker room, so why run the risk of creating conflict when it's not needed. He could have sat and pouted about losing the starting gig, instead he's (looking outside in) comported himself with a team first attitude. 

Even looking at when he was on the field. I wasn't a big fan of the packages that involved him, but I slightly warmed to it, and I could understand the reason why. I need to look up how many crucial 4th downs he made for us on QB sneaks. 

Again, as @Superman said "sickening" is a hyperbolic term to use, on a subject that really doesn't matter all that much now. 

28 minutes ago, Superman said:

I didn't disparage him. He seems to be a great kid.

Others posted that he is one of the best backups, or that he will become a starter somewhere, and that a $10 million salary is reasonable. One posted that he's not Painter. So I looked up the stats. JB is a career 84 QB rating, and comparable to Painter in completions. Eason is here on a rookie contract. My guess is JB is not getting anywhere near $10 million, nor a starter's job. That's my only point. 

2 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

I didn't disparage him. He seems to be a great kid.

Others posted that he is one of the best backups, or that he will become a starter somewhere, and that a $10 million salary is reasonable. One posted that he's not Painter. So I looked up the stats. JB is a career 84 QB rating, and comparable to Painter in completions. Eason is here on a rookie contract. My guess is JB is not getting anywhere near $10 million, nor a starter's job. That's my only point. 

Right.. you're seriously comparing Brissett and Painter? Neither is a franchise QB, but Brissett was a much better QB than Painter.  Your original post cleared out the cherry orchard. 

From a new Colts fan’s perspective, what is actually more nauseating is how often fans bring up Andrew Luck and how much they miss him. 

Living in the past and wishing for a different present is a great way to be miserable. 

I don’t see how it benefits anyone. 

It’s like when your friend gets dumped and 18 months later still hasn’t moved on, and brings up their ex constantly. You try to be patient but at some point you just wish they would let it go and focus on enjoying the present and what they’d like to create for themselves in the future. 

19 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

I have been a Colts fan since I was 7 years old and that is a long time.  I have never seen an organization kiss a players behind like the Colts do with Jacoby Brissett.  Brissett was a 3rd round pick of the Patriots who started one game as a rookie.  He was then traded to the Colts for their former #1 pick Phillip Dorsett and anointed the starter because of Lucks injury.  The Colts had zero offense with him behind the center.  Two years later, Luck abruptly retires and Brissett is given a huge two year contract and called the teams new franchise QB.  Once again, they had almost no offense with Brissett at QB.  People love to point out they were 5-2 at one point, but that had more to do with running the ball and play defense than Brissett.    So after last year they bring in Philips Rivers as an upgrade and Brissett goes to the bench.  Now, if this were any other position or player on the team, he would be quickly forget ton about.  But not the Colts!  Ballard said he doesn't count Brissett first year starting because he came in with so little practice with the team.  And then 2019 he doesn't blame that on Brissett but "failure in many areas".  The bring in Rivers, but say early on they love Brissett and will make a package of plays to get him involved in the game as well.  Anytime I hear Reich and Ballard talk about Rivers or QBs going forward, they always talk glowingly about Brissett.  Who is the Colts man of the year?  Brissett.

Now lets compare that to another player Ballard loved.  Clayton Geathers.  Ballard said Geathers was everything he wanted in a Colts player.  A great leader and voice in the locker room.  Yet, as soon as he could replace him, he did and we never heard another word from him.    That is how Ballard and Reich deal with every player.....except Brissett.  I have never in my life seen a mediocre, at best, backup QB get so much love and attention.  What scares me is if they try to resign him!!!  Ballard can't even say Jacob Eason could be the backup QB next year, but he certainly can praise Brissett when he got him from the Patriots even though he had played once NFL game and was otherwise the Patriots 3rd string QB.

I am sure Brissett is a great guy and well liked.  But he is a terrible NFL starting QB.  I cannot wait until that guy signs with another team so I don't have to hear or read anymore about how the Colts are kissing his you know what.  It is sickening.  All that money for a guy who probably isn't any better than Chad Kelly.

There's a lot of value in having a viable back up QB. I don't think anyone would argue that,  with his contract the Colts are getting value for the money they're paying him. You have to agree though, that there is tremendous value in the position itself, and having a back up like Brissett is a luxury most teams don't have. Perhaps they're hoping Brissett will repay them with loyalty and a team friendly deal one day. Now that he is a millionaire.

9 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

From a new Colts fan’s perspective, what is actually more nauseating is how often fans bring up Andrew Luck and how much they miss him. 

Living in the past and wishing for a different present is a great way to be miserable. 

I don’t see how it benefits anyone. 

It’s like when your friend gets dumped and 18 months later still hasn’t moved on, and brings up their ex constantly. You try to be patient but at some point you just wish they would let it go and focus on enjoying the present and what they’d like to create for themselves in the future. 

Andrew who?   I miss Peyton

41 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Right.. you're seriously comparing Brissett and Painter? Neither is a franchise QB, but Brissett was a much better QB than Painter.  Your original post cleared out the cherry orchard. 

You're either misunderstanding my posts or misrepresenting them.  Mine was in response to others and the stats are comparable. Not getting into an argument.  So I'm done here.

6 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

You're either misunderstanding my posts or misrepresenting them.  Mine was in response to others and the stats are comparable. Not getting into an argument.  So I'm done here.

But what stats? You mean comparing Brissett's from this season? Because that's a really false comparison to make.

18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is sickening is the hate for Brissett. What he do steal your lunch money? He is a great backup and the players love his locker room leadership. 

2006, nobody is hating on Brissett, just getting tired of Reich and CB drooling over him. I personally don't get the 'great backup' label either but that is just me. Great locker room guy? From all  I hear he is a good locker room guy and that shows when he runs off the bench for a TD celebration.

16 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Looking back over the circumstances Jacoby faced is interesting. 1st year here, no training camp or offseason with the team. Thrown in on short notice. Plays terrible.  Then sits a year behind Luck.  Then last year Luck retires and Jacoby is once again thrown in as the starter.  This time he had more experience in the system. He actually played pretty decent before injury but we can all agree he left a lot of yards and points on the field. 

But here’s what’s interesting to me.  Some people want us to give up draft capital for a guy like Darnold.  Darnold has had 4 years as the man.  His team. All the reps. All the snaps (when not injured). And yet he has never had a QBR higher than what Jacoby had last season. All 4 of his years actually measure up (as far as QBR) with Jacoby’s 1st year here.  So be careful.  Instead of hearing the GM & HC telling us how good of a guy our backup QB is he could be spinning how good our starter Darnold is when in actuality he’s not any better than Jacoby.  Now that would be frustrating. 

Also, CB & FR could be trying to keep Jacoby’s stock high so that another team signs him & maybe we get a comp pick for him?

Are you insinuating that Darnold had comparable team behind him? That to me is like comparing oil and water. Not suggesting Darnald is great but comparing their play and their surrounding cast is disingenuous.

49 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

But what stats? You mean comparing Brissett's from this season? Because that's a really false comparison to make.

I had posted career stats. But I must apologize. I was wrong. I posted that Painter had a completion average of 57.9 vs JB's 59. That 57 actually was Painter's QB rating vs JOb's 84. Painter completed 51%.

I was. Wrong. It's what I get for even reading this thread about a kid that is probably not here next year.

4 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

I had posted career stats. But I must apologize. I was wrong. I posted that Painter had a completion average of 57.9 vs JB's 59. That 57 actually was Painter's QB rating vs JOb's 84. Painter completed 51%.

I was. Wrong. It's what I get for even reading this thread about a kid that is probably not here next year.

I think we all have regrets about this topic. 

Your post makes more sense now. 

15 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Love of Chad Kelly is sickening.

Last pick of a 7th round in a draft and everyone acts like he can be a Baker Mayfield when he's a Jamarcus Russell at best. Rap sheet is as long as Richie Incognito. 1 step away from cleaning toilets at McDonalds.

Where did this come from?

8 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Where did this come from?

From the same place in a brain that created this thread.

However, my guess is the latter was inverse/humor to suggest that if there was a reason to actually by "sickened", Kelly would be at least be a likelier choice. 

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Using his ratings this season to point a finger at him is nonsense.

He was not used as a passing QB at all. He was used to QB sneak or to handoff. But don't let that get in the way of your narrative. 

The only narrative is that Eason and Brissett have similar size, and similar arm strength. I assume Both would be competing to be the Colts backup next year.   Eason is perceived to have a higher ceiling,, and he's on the Roster. JB is a FA, looking for a job.  The Salary Cap is tightening, our stars will want raises, and some positions are unfilled or need upgrades.  I don't expect Jacoby to even be offered a contract in Indy unless Eason Really screws up

• w87r locked this topic

Archived