Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Love Of Brissett is sickening

lennymoore24

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“We”, as a collective, must feel pretty good overall about the future of this team if we waste this many posts on a subject that, lets face it, has no real bearing on the future of this team.  Not in any primary, or secondary role in my mind.

But, alas, here goes.

I’ve always thought the “love” cane from him coming in when our heads were still spinning from Luck.  JB did have some success early, and he always said and did the right thing, whatever was asked..... and more.  How bout the end zone celebrations with the D?   After the injury around the Pitt game, he never looked quite the same.  Sure, the production didnt meet expectations, but he gave all and never conplained.  
  He has all you want as a leader.  He just hasnt had that “light switch” turn on that i think he has in him.  I think, in the right system, with the right team, he could be productive.  He just needs to find some confidence and accuracy. 
  I like the kid...... still.  He’s been a great “Colt” role model.  Love to see him get a chance and succeed somewhere.

That said, anyone else notice how all of a sudden it seems MOST of the league has young, exciting, promising QBs?   Seriously.... ALOT of teams.

5 hours ago, Sumo63 said:

It means insencere.  Or acting like you know less about a subject than is commonly known.....sorry if someone else defined it previously. I just came across your post......

Haha.   I know what it means.    I worded it poorly.    What I meant was,   what was it he said that was disingenuous. 

Just now, teganslaw said:

But you just did. :D  BTW, why does anyone care about players' salaries? It's not like they're the ones paying out the money. 

They care because they realize there is a salary cap so money spent in a non effective way is money that can be spent making the club better. If we had no salary cap the % of people complaining would be much less (Some would complain anyway however).

1 minute ago, holeymoley99 said:

They care because they realize there is a salary cap so money spent in a non effective way is money that can be spent making the club better. If we had no salary cap the % of people complaining would be much less (Some would complain anyway however).

Brissetts contract didn't keep the team from making moves.   So the cap wasn't an issue

4 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

“We”, as a collective, must feel pretty good overall about the future of this team if we waste this many posts on a subject that, lets face it, has no real bearing on the future of this team.  Not in any primary, or secondary role in my mind.

But, alas, here goes.

I’ve always thought the “love” cane from him coming in when our heads were still spinning from Luck.  JB did have some success early, and he always said and did the right thing, whatever was asked..... and more.  How bout the end zone celebrations with the D?   After the injury around the Pitt game, he never looked quite the same.  Sure, the production didnt meet expectations, but he gave all and never conplained.  
  He has all you want as a leader.  He just hasnt had that “light switch” turn on that i think he has in him.  I think, in the right system, with the right team, he could be productive.  He just needs to find some confidence and accuracy. 
  I like the kid...... still.  He’s been a great “Colt” role model.  Love to see him get a chance and succeed somewhere.

That said, anyone else notice how all of a sudden it seems MOST of the league has young, exciting, promising QBs?   Seriously.... ALOT of teams.

I just hope he’s gone.  He is not a good option QBs cause he’s slow.  He’s not good enough as a conventional QB.  Please move on is my opinion. The team needs to start developing people who might actually help the team win. 

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We are in great shape actually, Saints may be the worse in the league.

We are in “great shape” but we have no QB, no LT, need edge talent, and need receiving talent.  Well those are the 4 most expensive positions.  Within the next couple of years, we will either have to pay people in lesser value positions more money than is usual or get rid of them.

So even though we have space, we have a lot of value to acquire.

40 minutes ago, Nickster said:

We are in “great shape” but we have no QB, no LT, need edge talent, and need receiving talent.  Well those are the 4 most expensive positions.  Within the next couple of years, we will either have to pay people in lesser value positions more money than is usual or get rid of them.

I think we will draft a LT, QB is still a mystery but I want Rivers back for 1 more year. 

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep, if we sign him for just 10 Mill as a backup which is a 50% paycut it won't hurt us at all. He is a great backup, there are just some that hate the guy and I can't figure out why. Every team should have a great backup that can step in and win a game or 2 if needed + he is a great teammate. Some in here complain about spending money but when we don't get Free Agents the same people complain and say we aren't spending money. That is like with trying get Robinson, we have the salary cap to do so and easily but I have seen some posts saying I wouldn't give more than this or that. 

Ridiculous! I would say NOBODY Hates the guy.
 Most just don't believe he is very good. And probably like me, i hope i never see him in a colts uniform again.
I want someone who thinks faster, has better touch, and is more mobile.
Go Jacoby! No, i mean Goooo!

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

Ridiculous! I would say NOBODY Hates the guy.
 Most just don't believe he is very good. And probably like me, i hope i never see him in a colts uniform again.
I want someone who thinks faster, has better touch, and is more mobile.
Go Jacoby! No, i mean Goooo!

I never said the guy was a franchise QB or worth 20 Mill. I agree with you he isn't but he is a great backup and a great leader in the locker room - that is fact. He probably won't be back but this thread is hilarious.

1 hour ago, teganslaw said:

But you just did. :D  BTW, why does anyone care about players' salaries? It's not like they're the ones paying out the money. 

That’s certainly one perspective...and I get it. But salary and the salary cap is means we have to judge moves and look at opportunity cost.

If we looked at moves in a vacuum...then it would be hard to evaluate anything outside of the drafts.

Plus, vilifying Grigs’ FA moves is a favorite pastime of Colts fans.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

This is a scary but true point. This team still needs major help at those 4 positions...and I would add CB as well.

QB and LT are recent developments...but what’s even scarier is that they have thrown (6) 2nd round picks at 3 of those 5 positions (EDGE/CB/WR) in the past 3 drafts alone (8 Day Two picks in 4 years). 

Think about that. Ballard has hit some HRs in the draft...but even he would tell you that he has failed to draft and develop those positions like he had hoped.

And now you add QB and LT. There is just not enough draft capital or cap space. And QB is almost going to have come via the draft...because Colts really can’t carry a $30M+ QB on the roster...and have the flexibility to extend their players and address their other needs.

Ballard has his work cut out for him this offseason. 

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

This is a scary but true point. This team still needs major help at those 4 positions...and I would add CB as well.

QB and LT are recent developments...but what’s even scarier is that they have thrown (6) 2nd round picks at 3 of those 5 positions (EDGE/CB/WR) in the past 3 drafts alone (8 Day Two picks in 4 years). 

Think about that. Ballard has hit some HRs in the draft...but even he would tell you that he has failed to draft and develop those positions like he had hoped.

And now you add QB and LT. There is just not enough draft capital or cap space. And QB is almost going to have come via the draft...because Colts really can’t carry a $30M+ QB on the roster...and have the flexibility to extend their players and address their other needs.

Ballard has his work cut out for him this offseason. 

I like our receiving crew as a complementary group that covers a lot of boxes, but we need a stud.  Allen Robinson is a stud.  I would not be surprised at all if we pick him up.  It would be like Buckner.   This guy has put up leading stats on the Bears offensive train wreck.  I think this guy would put us over the top.  We have to be able to flush the friggin  clog in the RZ.  We have multiple players that can attack the middle but no one who can attack the edge.  The WRs aren’t that kind of player and the QB can’t move.  I think they get Rivers Robinson and we will truly become a high octane O.  Get some adequate RB that can run the slower developing plays JT is week at, and I think we would be right there.

it appears to me that EDGE and LT are actually diminishing somewhat in value for the same reasons.  Most teams throw short and or RPO with the QBs which makes outside rush less vital than when most stuff was 5 or 7 Step drop plays.  

I think our safety play was horrendous once teams realized Blackmon isn’t good going backward and I think it puts a lot more pressure on our corners than our schemes are usually supposed to.  Basically our corners were always in man because the zone shell was inadequate.  It’s easier to upgrade S than CB.  I still think Rock might be OK.  Or hope I guess.  I think Rhodes will be back.  Blackmon needs to improve here or we need someone else.  It’s not very hard to find that type I’d adequate NFL safety.  I think we need a NFL average type of CF safety and the secondary will look different.  

At QB, I hope Rivers comes back.  Maybe someone we could get would do as well. As him NEXT year, but I doubt it.  I don’t think it’s a good gamble to spend draft capital on QB. I think with a couple of moves we would be ready to contend as much as we have been in years and are likely to be a pin a few years unless we hit at QB which is never very clear despite who is signed or drafted.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

We could use edge but I think once you solve the QB issue that becomes less important. When you can put up more points other weaknesses don’t show as much. We did a pretty good job as a dline as a unit. 

I agree but Houston is an FA isn’t he?  If he doesn’t resign we have real issues there.

13 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I agree but Houston is an FA isn’t he?  If he doesn’t resign we have real issues there.

Yeah if they can only sign one I would sign Autry. Because he can also play the 3 tech if Buckner goes down. Maybe Lewis is ready to step in for Houston.  It’s going to be hard for this defense not to take a step back back if we don’t sign Rhodes and the dline loses someone. We really are going to be crunched with the cap.

I’m not sure there’s much of a market for Jacoby.... and certainly none as a starter.

The narrative of him getting a chance to start elsewhere or  commanding anything higher at this point than MAYBE a 6th round pick is well beyond its shelf life.

IMO... we should offer him 2yrs @ 4-5m per yr with the clear understanding that he is a backup regardless of Rivers’ outcome.

Brissett is a solid backup and under :censored:tty circumstances he got paid 30m bucks he’d probably never gotten otherwise. 

With Ballard confirming what we already knew about Eason.... that we need to see him in game action.... I think it’s a bad idea to simply jettison Brissett.

Ideally for me.... next season’s QB depth chart is...

1. Rivers or Stafford 

2. Brissett or Eason 

3. Eason or Brissett 

5 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

I’m not sure there’s much of a market for Jacoby.... and certainly none as a starter.

The narrative of him getting a chance to start elsewhere or  commanding anything higher at this point than MAYBE a 6th round pick is well beyond its shelf life.

IMO... we should offer him 2yrs @ 4-5m per yr with the clear understanding that he is a backup regardless of Rivers’ outcome.

Brissett is a solid backup and under :censored:tty circumstances he got paid 30m bucks he’d probably never gotten otherwise. 

With Ballard confirming what we already knew about Eason.... that we need to see him in game action.... I think it’s a bad idea to simply jettison Brissett.

Ideally for me.... next season’s QB depth chart is...

1. Rivers or Stafford 

2. Brissett or Eason 

3. Eason or Brissett 

I like your #1 scenario, I would take either. I think JB will probably move on. He made 20,000,000 last year so I doubt he takes less than 10,000,000 for 1 year. That alone is a 50% paycut. I could be wrong though. He could probably start for some of the weaker teams and get 15-20 Mill.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like your #1 scenario, I would take either. I think JB will probably move on. He made 20,000,000 last year so I doubt he takes less than 10,000,000 for 1 year. That alone is a 50% paycut. I could be wrong though. He could probably start for some of the weaker teams and get 15-20 Mill.

Hey... if he can get a shot at a starting gig and the $$$ to go with it.... God bless him.

There’s always Dan Snyder! :funny:

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

I would be glad to trade backups. I would take Alex Smith as a backup to Rivers and as my 3rd QB behind Eason over JB any day.

Oh Alex Smith is a legit starter, he had a good career after a rocky start. It is just his health that is a concern. He would be the best backup in the league as far as that goes.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh Alex Smith is a legit starter, he had a good career after a rocky start. It is just his health that is a concern. He would be the best backup in the league as far as that goes.

Exactly!!! I would pay him for the back up behind Rivers if I had to pay someone since Eason would still be under the rookie contract. Alex Smith is most likely let go in the off season, IMO.

46 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Look, the reason for 5 pages of long and mostly angry response, was to the use of the word "sickening". Replace that word with "disappointing", and this thread likely dies quickly.

Yep, that is why I mocked it a lot last night. 1 word changes everything sometimes, funny but true. I also know this OP has a habit of bashing JB so that added to it for me.

This is such an overreaction. He was clearly only extended in 2019 because we were wining games and we had no plan yet for life after Luck. It made sense at the time and most of us knew that it made very little sense to cut him last off season either as his cap hit was still fairly high, so it was better to have him as a backup who could win some games if needed. His usage in 2019 was fine by me too. It worked out more often than not. He is more mobile than Phil and gives us more options than we had with Phil on 3rd and short. I don't think I would be super surprised if we re-signed him as a backup again, but he's not been treated like a starter with the exception of when he abruptly became the starter because our real starter retired. So what are you even complaining about? As someone else said, he's better than Kelly. Which is to say, he's a backup who was a better choice than most other backups. And there aren't a whole lot of backups who have a better fit for this team than the guy who already played and won games and was already under contract.

I still don't get why the need for such polarisation around everythingAppreciating that JB isn't a bad dude doesn't mean people are blinded to his shortcomings as a QB. People have got too hung up on the salary. They didn't sign him to that deal to be the backup; they gambled on him establishing himself as the starter. A reverse of the Flacco situation a few years back. It didn't work out and he's not going to get that type deal wherever he lands.

Similarly, during that season it was a gross misrepresentation by lots of posters on this board that being critical in any way of his play was to be a 'hater'. Even when posters such as @EastStreet were putting together decent posts showing that the end result wasn't sustainable with JB, that is to say not just a baseless opinion, he was getting some pretty hard push back. Funny that some of the most vocal have flip flopped the other way now. I guess it's about always wanting to be 'right'. 

Taking us back to main point I was making. 'Right' and 'wrong' are very subjective at times, and it's okay to have different opinions. There seems to be a loss all round lately of the ability to have non-confrontational exchanges with people who don't agree with your opinion. It's a shame as it drowns out some really good conversations about football. 

2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I still don't get why the need for such polarisation around everythingAppreciating that JB isn't a bad dude doesn't mean people are blinded to his shortcomings as a QB. People have got too hung up on the salary. They didn't him that deal to be the backup, they gambled on him establishing himself as the starter. A reverse of the Flacco situation a few years back. It didn't work out and he's not going to get that type deal wherever he lands.

Similarly, during that season it was a gross misrepresentation by lots of posters on this board that being critical in any way of his play was to be a 'hater'. Even when posters such as @EastStreet were putting together decent posts showing that the end result wasn't sustainable with JB, that is to say not just a baseless opinion, he was getting some pretty hard push back. Funny that some of the most vocal have flip flopped the other way now. I guess it's about always wanting to be 'right'. 

Taking us back to main point I was making. 'Right' and 'wrong' are very subjective at times, and it's okay to have different opinions. There seems to be a loss all round lately of the ability to have non-confrontational exchanges with people who don't agree with your opinion. It's a shame as it drowns out some really good conversations about football. 

I just don't even get why a thread is created like this since about 10 others have been. We all know JB isn't a franchise QB or worth 20 Mill. This has been already rehashed a ton.  

Archived