Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do Rodgers or Brees move ahead of Peyton on all time list if they win the SB?


Recommended Posts

I have been hearing some of the talking heads say that Rodgers and/or Brees could move ahead of Peyton on the all-time list if they win the SB. I think a good case can be made for Rodgers given he will have 3 league MVPs and potentially 2 SB MVPs but not Brees with zero MVPs and now falling to second to Brady on the TD record list.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rodgers and 4th qtr comeback stats lacking, Brees and how he never carried his team like Peyton and Brady did during down years for their teams when defensive stats were lacking and players were injured.

 

So...No

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think most of the "greatness" can be attributed to fandom and or personal opinions. 

Each person uses their own reasons on why they think their picks are the best or the GOATs.

To say one over the others can be debated with no one really being right or wrong. 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

No. That would give them 2 SB wins, the same amount as Peyton but Peyton has been to 4 SB's and has won 5 League MVP's. The League MVP's is the difference, Brees has never won an MVP, if Rodgers wins it this year that is still only 3. Peyton also won with 2 different teams. Peyton at worse remains a top 3 QB of all-time no matter what happens this year IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think most of the "greatness" can be attributed to fandom and or personal opinions. 

Each person uses their own reasons on why they think their picks are the best or the GOATs.

To say one over the others can be debated with no one really being right or wrong. 

 

 

True but Rodgers or Brees aren't better than Peyton, if anyone says otherwise than their opinion is horsedung and they need glasses :thmup:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FortheWin said:

I have been hearing some of the talking heads say that Rodgers and/or Brees could move ahead of Peyton on the all-time list if they win the SB. I think a good case can be made for Rodgers given he will have 3 league MVPs and potentially 2 SB MVPs but not Brees with zero MVPs and now falling to second to Brady on the TD record list.

The list is imaginary and doesn't matter

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

The list is imaginary and doesn't matter

It really doesn't matter because it is all opinion but Peyton should be on the Mt Rushmore of QB's which is top 4. He re- invented the game, called his own plays, was a coach on the field, and has the most League MVP's with 5 of all-time. With that 2nd SB win that sealed it. End of story IMO. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No. That would give them 2 SB wins, the same amount as Peyton but Peyton has been to 4 SB's and has won 5 League MVP's. The League MVP's is the difference, Brees has never won an MVP, if Rodgers wins it this year that is still only 3. Peyton also won with 2 different teams. Peyton at worse remains a top 3 QB of all-time no matter what happens this year IMO.

 

Peyton and Rodgers could/can showcase magic, everything else is just numbers and statistics. Plenty of cases to name Brady the GOAT, but I don’t care. The play of Peyton and Rodgers could/can put a smile on my face, not seen anybody else reach that elusive quality yet. 

 

But yeah, I’m just a blind romantic *. :rock:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

 

Peyton and Rodgers could/can showcase magic, everything else is just numbers and statistics. Plenty of cases to name Brady the GOAT, but I don’t care. The play of Peyton and Rodgers could/can put a smile on my face, not seen anybody else reach that elusive quality yet. 

 

But yeah, I’m just a blind romantic *. :rock:

I have Rodgers and Brees both in my top 10 of all-time but not top 5. I think Rodgers is better than Brees but Brees is super great.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Probably... This conversation is so much better when the QBs are actually playing.. I hate the GOAT time. If you aren't the greatest now, today what does it matter lol

It is just a media narrative really. But it is always a fun discussion to see where folks believe QBs rank. I do think Rodgers has a legit case to be viewed over Peyton if he wins the SB and is SB MVP. That does not mean he was necessarily a better QB than Peyton but that his career is viewed as better. Of course, Rodgers probably has another 3-4 years left to play too.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

It is just a media narrative really. But it is always a fun discussion to see where folks believe QBs rank. I do think Rodgers has a legit case to be viewed over Peyton if he wins the SB and is SB MVP. That does not mean he was necessarily a better QB than Peyton but that his career is viewed as better. Of course, Rodgers probably has another 3-4 years left to play too.

To me the most important thing is winning SB's but the 2nd most important thing is winning League MVP's, to me it is anyway and Peyton has 5 of those. Once you win 2 or more SB's that means you are a multiple winner of the big one as well. Media and fans just view a QB differently once they win that 2nd one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To me the most important thing is winning SB's but the 2nd most important thing is winning League MVP's, to me it is anyway and Peyton has 5 of those. Once you win 2 or more SB's that means you are a multiple winner of the big one as well. Media and fans just view a QB differently once they win that 2nd one. 

League MVP feels more like a popularity contest. They do have value but not like it once did IMO. I think winning is always the barometer. Not just rings, but winning in the regular season too. That is what Manning did for so long. I was looking at playoff stats recently and second to Brady on almost every single passing stat was Manning except for TDs as Joe had 45. It seems like that never gets mentioned much but he really put up monster stats in the playoffs too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FortheWin said:

League MVP feels more like a popularity contest. They do have value but not like it once did IMO. I think winning is always the barometer. Not just rings, but winning in the regular season too. That is what Manning did for so long. I was looking at playoff stats recently and second to Brady on almost every single passing stat was Manning except for TDs as Joe had 45. It seems like that never gets mentioned much but he really put up monster stats in the playoffs too.

If I am not mistaken, I think Peyton has the 3rd most playoff wins only behind Brady and Montana, not bad for a so-called choker. I know he is 14-13 in the playoffs, 14 wins is great in the post season, Peyton is easily the greatest regular season QB ever.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If I am not mistaken, I think Peyton has the 3rd most playoff wins only behind Brady and Montana, not bad for a so-called choker. I know he is 14-13 in the playoffs, 14 wins is great in the post season, Peyton is easily the greatest regular season QB ever.

Yes. He is tied with Bradshaw and Elway at 14.  The one and done's hurts him the most. But a lot of that was Dungy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FortheWin said:

Yes. He is tied with Bradshaw and Elway at 14.  The one and done's hurts him the most. But a lot of that was Dungy.

Yeah he is tied with Bradshaw and Elway for 3rd, that is what I thought. Montana is 2nd, Brady is #1 by a landslide in that category but the guy is 80 years old and still playing lmao 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brady is #1 by a landslide in that category but the guy is 80 years old and still playing

Exactly.. he's going to eventually own all QB stats ever as long as he keeps playing. Mahhomes will probably retire before TB. :lol:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

That’s my three . Unfortunately , Brady is in the conversation. 


Let me tell you a fact about Brady.
 

If Brady and the Bucs beat the Saints tomorrow, Brady is the player to have defeated most NFC teams in playoffs history.

 

He has only played one season in the NFC...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2021 at 2:40 PM, FortheWin said:

I have been hearing some of the talking heads say that Rodgers and/or Brees could move ahead of Peyton on the all-time list if they win the SB. I think a good case can be made for Rodgers given he will have 3 league MVPs and potentially 2 SB MVPs but not Brees with zero MVPs and now falling to second to Brady on the TD record list.

No. Look, Brady, Rodgers, Brees are all great in their own respects and their accomplishments confirm that.

 

 

however, what Peyton Manning did and how he played changed the game. He beat teams not with sheer physical talents but mental as well. No one has had a bigger impact on the QB position that Peyton. Because of that, combined with the other things, Peyton is the GOAT. 
 

 

Similar to how Jeff Gordon changed NASCAR.  Gordon’s impact and the resulting growth of NASCAR from the backwoods to 5th Avenue, is why Gordon is the greatest of all time there. Even though there are other drivers like Jimmy Johnson with more championships that didn’t have the same overall impact to the sport. 
 

same with Michael Jordan. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, csmopar said:

No. Look, Brady, Rodgers, Brees are all great in their own respects and their accomplishments confirm that.

 

 

however, what Peyton Manning did and how he played changed the game. He beat teams not with sheer physical talents but mental as well. No one has had a bigger impact on the QB position that Peyton. Because of that, combined with the other things, Peyton is the GOAT. 
 

 

Similar to how Jeff Gordon changed NASCAR.  Gordon’s impact and the resulting growth of NASCAR from the backwoods to 5th Avenue, is why Gordon is the greatest of all time there. Even though there are other drivers like Jimmy Johnson with more championships that didn’t have the same overall impact to the sport. 
 

same with Michael Jordan. 

I would not say that. Unitas changed the game way more than Manning. And also Montana with the West coach offense that is a part of every NFL offense now. No QB that I am aware of plays the Indy offense at all.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, James said:


Let me tell you a fact about Brady.
 

If Brady and the Bucs beat the Saints tomorrow, Brady is the player to have defeated most NFC teams in playoffs history.

 

He has only played one season in the NFC...

That is a crazy stat.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Peyton would still be ahead of those two in my book.  Rodgers may have the best arm of all time, and Brees may have the best stats, but Peyton played the QB position better than anyone, ever.  In his prime, he could make every throw, so defenses had to respect his physical talent (which should be true of any NFL QB if you think about it), but it was his mental talent that makes him the GOAT.  He had the mind of a brilliant innovative offensive coordinator inside the body of a prototypical NFL QB.

 

He had complete command of HIS offense, able to instruct every single player on exactly what he wanted them to do down to the very last second before the snap, sometimes with just a look between him and Marvin.  He started using fake calls so the defense couldn't catch on to the actual calls he was using to change the play.  He was masterful at using the hurry-up to keep the defense from substituting players, or catching them with too many on the field when they did try.  He perfected the 2-min drill.

 

Peyton Manning single-handedly changed the way the game is played in this current era, which you can't really say about Rodgers, Brees, or even Brady.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, James said:


Let me tell you a fact about Brady.
 

If Brady and the Bucs beat the Saints tomorrow, Brady is the player to have defeated most NFC teams in playoffs history.

 

He has only played one season in the NFC...

Really?! Seven teams?

 

Rams  x2 

Panthers 

Eagles 

Seahawks 

Falcons

Washington 

Saints 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2021 at 1:40 PM, FortheWin said:

I have been hearing some of the talking heads say that Rodgers and/or Brees could move ahead of Peyton on the all-time list if they win the SB. I think a good case can be made for Rodgers given he will have 3 league MVPs and potentially 2 SB MVPs but not Brees with zero MVPs and now falling to second to Brady on the TD record list.

He doesnt have the rings but he is the best to have played the game regardless of super bowl wins. Rodgers I mean

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2021 at 4:30 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

True but Rodgers or Brees aren't better than Peyton, if anyone says otherwise than their opinion is horsedung and they need glasses :thmup:

I am  a Peyton fan. However,   I believe Rodgers was far more gifted and Manning was surrounded by 1st round talent through out his career. Rodgers was basically the show in Green Bay.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Peyton would still be ahead of those two in my book.  Rodgers may have the best arm of all time, and Brees may have the best stats, but Peyton played the QB position better than anyone, ever.  In his prime, he could make every throw, so defenses had to respect his physical talent (which should be true of any NFL QB if you think about it), but it was his mental talent that makes him the GOAT.  He had the mind of a brilliant innovative offensive coordinator inside the body of a prototypical NFL QB.

 

He had complete command of HIS offense, able to instruct every single player on exactly what he wanted them to do down to the very last second before the snap, sometimes with just a look between him and Marvin.  He started using fake calls so the defense couldn't catch on to the actual calls he was using to change the play.  He was masterful at using the hurry-up to keep the defense from substituting players, or catching them with too many on the field when they did try.  He perfected the 2-min drill.

 

Peyton Manning single-handedly changed the way the game is played in this current era, which you can't really say about Rodgers, Brees, or even Brady.

I believe Manning is great. However, he was average in the playoffs when u  consider his regular season success.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Peyton would still be ahead of those two in my book.  Rodgers may have the best arm of all time, and Brees may have the best stats, but Peyton played the QB position better than anyone, ever.  In his prime, he could make every throw, so defenses had to respect his physical talent (which should be true of any NFL QB if you think about it), but it was his mental talent that makes him the GOAT.  He had the mind of a brilliant innovative offensive coordinator inside the body of a prototypical NFL QB.

 

He had complete command of HIS offense, able to instruct every single player on exactly what he wanted them to do down to the very last second before the snap, sometimes with just a look between him and Marvin.  He started using fake calls so the defense couldn't catch on to the actual calls he was using to change the play.  He was masterful at using the hurry-up to keep the defense from substituting players, or catching them with too many on the field when they did try.  He perfected the 2-min drill.

 

Peyton Manning single-handedly changed the way the game is played in this current era, which you can't really say about Rodgers, Brees, or even Brady.

Disagree. I dont think anyone has matched Rodgers accuracy and efficiency at The qb position. Manning changed the game, however have u ever seen anyone physically play the game like Rodgers? Rodgers td to interception ratio is incredible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, csmopar said:

No. Look, Brady, Rodgers, Brees are all great in their own respects and their accomplishments confirm that.

 

 

however, what Peyton Manning did and how he played changed the game. He beat teams not with sheer physical talents but mental as well. No one has had a bigger impact on the QB position that Peyton. Because of that, combined with the other things, Peyton is the GOAT. 
 

 

Similar to how Jeff Gordon changed NASCAR.  Gordon’s impact and the resulting growth of NASCAR from the backwoods to 5th Avenue, is why Gordon is the greatest of all time there. Even though there are other drivers like Jimmy Johnson with more championships that didn’t have the same overall impact to the sport. 
 

same with Michael Jordan. 

If u give Manning credit for his strengths. Then  u must also consider his weaknesses when evaluating him as a talent. He was not an elite playoff performer. He was average and for anyone not to admit that, is looking at his career through rose colored glasses.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2021 at 4:48 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have Rodgers and Brees both in my top 10 of all-time but not top 5. I think Rodgers is better than Brees but Brees is super great.

Take Payton and the Dome away from Brees and he is not in the top 10. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Take Payton and the Dome away from Brees and he is not in the top 10. 

The NFL Network did a list like a year ago and they had:

 

1. Tom Brady

2. Joe Montana

3. Peyton Manning

4. Johnny Unitas

5. Otto Graham

6. Aaron Rodgers

7. John Elway

8. Brett Favre

9. Dan Marino

10. Drew Brees

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The NFL Network did a list like a year ago and they had:

 

1. Tom Brady

2. Joe Montana

3. Peyton Manning

4. Johnny Unitas

5. Otto Graham

6. Aaron Rodgers

7. John Elway

8. Brett Favre

9. Dan Marino

10. Drew Brees

 

I’m not a fan of him but Marino should be much higher.  He set records that weren’t challenged for 20 years and only after rules dramatically changed 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If u give Manning credit for his strengths. Then  u must also consider his weaknesses when evaluating him as a talent. He was not an elite playoff performer. He was average and for anyone not to admit that, is looking at his career through rose colored glasses.


Did you watch all his playoff games?

 

He literally had a perfect game against the Broncos in the playoffs back in ‘03-‘04...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • posted my 1st round mock with no trades  would appreciate feedback
    • I stop doing mocks a couple years ago on here, because folks always  do a bunch of nonsense trades to beef up their mocks.     
    • Keep in mind a few things.... Houston is a 3-4. The dominant end on 3-4s are typically targets for doubles more than any DL position (4-3 or 3-4). Houston's DL (the other DE and NT) and both OLBs are pretty horrible. I don't think any of them rated above 50s in PFF, and IIRC, several were below 50, which is just plain bad. Point being, is that nobody else demanded attention, so why not double Watt, that is, if he's even on the field.  You're comment above about players raising the level of play from others. That's great and all, but that's harder to do when you go to a new team, and it's even harder to do when you're not on the field most of the season.   I'm a fan of Watt. I think he's one of the best to ever play the position. That said, his name and history will demand a lot more than he's worth. Even when he was on the field, his production was down comparatively in 2020.   While I wish we got home more, IMO it's more a product of conservative D scheme. Our blitz % is near league low, and Buckner was the only player on the team with more than 100 pass rushing snaps. With all that, Indy was still ranked 14th in pass rush.  That's pretty good considering the very low blitz %.   Also of note, Houston was 6th in the league in pass rush win rate. Watt was 8th. Would Watt be better on the Colts? Probably. But it's more likely the surrounding team makes him better, than vice versa. It's also likely that Indy uses him as a situational guy, or at least rotational, like they use Houston now. Probably less.
  • Members

    • Btown_Colt

      Btown_Colt 444

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Reidm

      Reidm 88

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • w87r

      w87r 4,999

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Lucky Colts Fan

      Lucky Colts Fan 5,584

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • MPStack

      MPStack 3,255

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • GoColts8818

      GoColts8818 4,561

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Onthefence

      Onthefence 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Trace Pyott

      Trace Pyott 228

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 9,204

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • colts52761

      colts52761 22

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...