Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do Rodgers or Brees move ahead of Peyton on all time list if they win the SB?

FortheWin

I have been hearing some of the talking heads say that Rodgers and/or Brees could move ahead of Peyton on the all-time list if they win the SB. I think a good case can be made for Rodgers given he will have 3 league MVPs and potentially 2 SB MVPs but not Brees with zero MVPs and now falling to second to Brady on the TD record list.

No. That would give them 2 SB wins, the same amount as Peyton but Peyton has been to 4 SB's and has won 5 League MVP's. The League MVP's is the difference, Brees has never won an MVP, if Rodgers wins it this year that is still only 3. Peyton also won with 2 different teams. Peyton at worse remains a top 3 QB of all-time no matter what happens this year IMO.

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think most of the "greatness" can be attributed to fandom and or personal opinions. 

Each person uses their own reasons on why they think their picks are the best or the GOATs.

To say one over the others can be debated with no one really being right or wrong. 

True but Rodgers or Brees aren't better than Peyton, if anyone says otherwise than their opinion is horsedung and they need glasses :thmup:

2 hours ago, FortheWin said:

I have been hearing some of the talking heads say that Rodgers and/or Brees could move ahead of Peyton on the all-time list if they win the SB. I think a good case can be made for Rodgers given he will have 3 league MVPs and potentially 2 SB MVPs but not Brees with zero MVPs and now falling to second to Brady on the TD record list.

The list is imaginary and doesn't matter

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

The list is imaginary and doesn't matter

It really doesn't matter because it is all opinion but Peyton should be on the Mt Rushmore of QB's which is top 4. He re- invented the game, called his own plays, was a coach on the field, and has the most League MVP's with 5 of all-time. With that 2nd SB win that sealed it. End of story IMO. 

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No. That would give them 2 SB wins, the same amount as Peyton but Peyton has been to 4 SB's and has won 5 League MVP's. The League MVP's is the difference, Brees has never won an MVP, if Rodgers wins it this year that is still only 3. Peyton also won with 2 different teams. Peyton at worse remains a top 3 QB of all-time no matter what happens this year IMO.

Peyton and Rodgers could/can showcase magic, everything else is just numbers and statistics. Plenty of cases to name Brady the GOAT, but I don’t care. The play of Peyton and Rodgers could/can put a smile on my face, not seen anybody else reach that elusive quality yet. 

But yeah, I’m just a blind romantic *. :rock:

1 minute ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Peyton and Rodgers could/can showcase magic, everything else is just numbers and statistics. Plenty of cases to name Brady the GOAT, but I don’t care. The play of Peyton and Rodgers could/can put a smile on my face, not seen anybody else reach that elusive quality yet. 

But yeah, I’m just a blind romantic *. :rock:

I have Rodgers and Brees both in my top 10 of all-time but not top 5. I think Rodgers is better than Brees but Brees is super great.

11 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Probably... This conversation is so much better when the QBs are actually playing.. I hate the GOAT time. If you aren't the greatest now, today what does it matter lol

It is just a media narrative really. But it is always a fun discussion to see where folks believe QBs rank. I do think Rodgers has a legit case to be viewed over Peyton if he wins the SB and is SB MVP. That does not mean he was necessarily a better QB than Peyton but that his career is viewed as better. Of course, Rodgers probably has another 3-4 years left to play too.

5 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

It is just a media narrative really. But it is always a fun discussion to see where folks believe QBs rank. I do think Rodgers has a legit case to be viewed over Peyton if he wins the SB and is SB MVP. That does not mean he was necessarily a better QB than Peyton but that his career is viewed as better. Of course, Rodgers probably has another 3-4 years left to play too.

To me the most important thing is winning SB's but the 2nd most important thing is winning League MVP's, to me it is anyway and Peyton has 5 of those. Once you win 2 or more SB's that means you are a multiple winner of the big one as well. Media and fans just view a QB differently once they win that 2nd one. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To me the most important thing is winning SB's but the 2nd most important thing is winning League MVP's, to me it is anyway and Peyton has 5 of those. Once you win 2 or more SB's that means you are a multiple winner of the big one as well. Media and fans just view a QB differently once they win that 2nd one. 

League MVP feels more like a popularity contest. They do have value but not like it once did IMO. I think winning is always the barometer. Not just rings, but winning in the regular season too. That is what Manning did for so long. I was looking at playoff stats recently and second to Brady on almost every single passing stat was Manning except for TDs as Joe had 45. It seems like that never gets mentioned much but he really put up monster stats in the playoffs too.

1 minute ago, FortheWin said:

League MVP feels more like a popularity contest. They do have value but not like it once did IMO. I think winning is always the barometer. Not just rings, but winning in the regular season too. That is what Manning did for so long. I was looking at playoff stats recently and second to Brady on almost every single passing stat was Manning except for TDs as Joe had 45. It seems like that never gets mentioned much but he really put up monster stats in the playoffs too.

If I am not mistaken, I think Peyton has the 3rd most playoff wins only behind Brady and Montana, not bad for a so-called choker. I know he is 14-13 in the playoffs, 14 wins is great in the post season, Peyton is easily the greatest regular season QB ever.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If I am not mistaken, I think Peyton has the 3rd most playoff wins only behind Brady and Montana, not bad for a so-called choker. I know he is 14-13 in the playoffs, 14 wins is great in the post season, Peyton is easily the greatest regular season QB ever.

Yes. He is tied with Bradshaw and Elway at 14.  The one and done's hurts him the most. But a lot of that was Dungy.

9 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

That’s my three . Unfortunately , Brady is in the conversation. 

Let me tell you a fact about Brady.

If Brady and the Bucs beat the Saints tomorrow, Brady is the player to have defeated most NFC teams in playoffs history.

He has only played one season in the NFC...

On 1/15/2021 at 2:40 PM, FortheWin said:

No. Look, Brady, Rodgers, Brees are all great in their own respects and their accomplishments confirm that.

however, what Peyton Manning did and how he played changed the game. He beat teams not with sheer physical talents but mental as well. No one has had a bigger impact on the QB position that Peyton. Because of that, combined with the other things, Peyton is the GOAT. 

Similar to how Jeff Gordon changed NASCAR.  Gordon’s impact and the resulting growth of NASCAR from the backwoods to 5th Avenue, is why Gordon is the greatest of all time there. Even though there are other drivers like Jimmy Johnson with more championships that didn’t have the same overall impact to the sport. 

same with Michael Jordan. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

No. Look, Brady, Rodgers, Brees are all great in their own respects and their accomplishments confirm that.

however, what Peyton Manning did and how he played changed the game. He beat teams not with sheer physical talents but mental as well. No one has had a bigger impact on the QB position that Peyton. Because of that, combined with the other things, Peyton is the GOAT. 

Similar to how Jeff Gordon changed NASCAR.  Gordon’s impact and the resulting growth of NASCAR from the backwoods to 5th Avenue, is why Gordon is the greatest of all time there. Even though there are other drivers like Jimmy Johnson with more championships that didn’t have the same overall impact to the sport. 

I would not say that. Unitas changed the game way more than Manning. And also Montana with the West coach offense that is a part of every NFL offense now. No QB that I am aware of plays the Indy offense at all.  

15 hours ago, James said:

If Brady and the Bucs beat the Saints tomorrow, Brady is the player to have defeated most NFC teams in playoffs history.

That is a crazy stat.

Peyton would still be ahead of those two in my book.  Rodgers may have the best arm of all time, and Brees may have the best stats, but Peyton played the QB position better than anyone, ever.  In his prime, he could make every throw, so defenses had to respect his physical talent (which should be true of any NFL QB if you think about it), but it was his mental talent that makes him the GOAT.  He had the mind of a brilliant innovative offensive coordinator inside the body of a prototypical NFL QB.

He had complete command of HIS offense, able to instruct every single player on exactly what he wanted them to do down to the very last second before the snap, sometimes with just a look between him and Marvin.  He started using fake calls so the defense couldn't catch on to the actual calls he was using to change the play.  He was masterful at using the hurry-up to keep the defense from substituting players, or catching them with too many on the field when they did try.  He perfected the 2-min drill.

Peyton Manning single-handedly changed the way the game is played in this current era, which you can't really say about Rodgers, Brees, or even Brady.

16 hours ago, James said:

Really?! Seven teams?

Rams  x2 

Panthers 

Eagles 

Seahawks 

Falcons

Washington 

Saints 

On 1/15/2021 at 1:40 PM, FortheWin said:

He doesnt have the rings but he is the best to have played the game regardless of super bowl wins. Rodgers I mean

On 1/15/2021 at 4:30 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

True but Rodgers or Brees aren't better than Peyton, if anyone says otherwise than their opinion is horsedung and they need glasses :thmup:

I am  a Peyton fan. However,   I believe Rodgers was far more gifted and Manning was surrounded by 1st round talent through out his career. Rodgers was basically the show in Green Bay.

3 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Peyton would still be ahead of those two in my book.  Rodgers may have the best arm of all time, and Brees may have the best stats, but Peyton played the QB position better than anyone, ever.  In his prime, he could make every throw, so defenses had to respect his physical talent (which should be true of any NFL QB if you think about it), but it was his mental talent that makes him the GOAT.  He had the mind of a brilliant innovative offensive coordinator inside the body of a prototypical NFL QB.

He had complete command of HIS offense, able to instruct every single player on exactly what he wanted them to do down to the very last second before the snap, sometimes with just a look between him and Marvin.  He started using fake calls so the defense couldn't catch on to the actual calls he was using to change the play.  He was masterful at using the hurry-up to keep the defense from substituting players, or catching them with too many on the field when they did try.  He perfected the 2-min drill.

Peyton Manning single-handedly changed the way the game is played in this current era, which you can't really say about Rodgers, Brees, or even Brady.

I believe Manning is great. However, he was average in the playoffs when u  consider his regular season success.

3 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Disagree. I dont think anyone has matched Rodgers accuracy and efficiency at The qb position. Manning changed the game, however have u ever seen anyone physically play the game like Rodgers? Rodgers td to interception ratio is incredible.

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

If u give Manning credit for his strengths. Then  u must also consider his weaknesses when evaluating him as a talent. He was not an elite playoff performer. He was average and for anyone not to admit that, is looking at his career through rose colored glasses.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The NFL Network did a list like a year ago and they had:

1. Tom Brady

2. Joe Montana

3. Peyton Manning

4. Johnny Unitas

5. Otto Graham

6. Aaron Rodgers

7. John Elway

8. Brett Favre

9. Dan Marino

10. Drew Brees

I’m not a fan of him but Marino should be much higher.  He set records that weren’t challenged for 20 years and only after rules dramatically changed 

17 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If u give Manning credit for his strengths. Then  u must also consider his weaknesses when evaluating him as a talent. He was not an elite playoff performer. He was average and for anyone not to admit that, is looking at his career through rose colored glasses.

Did you watch all his playoff games?

He literally had a perfect game against the Broncos in the playoffs back in ‘03-‘04...

Archived