Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

League Head Coach Hires


Recommended Posts

So far we have:

 

-Saleh hired by the Jets and is bringing Mike Lafleur as his OC

Biggest question "Will they stick with Darnold?" I believe yes

 

-Urban Hired by the Jags

Biggest Question "Can he transfer from college to NFL? and how long will he stay?" I think he's enough of a players coach to transfer but who knows on how long he will be there.

 

-Arthur Smith offered the job for the Falcons

Biggest question if he accepts it "Will he bring in a DC who can fix the defense?"

 

Still open Jobs:

 

Eagles

Texans

Lions

Chargers

 

and lastly here's a question "Will a long run in the playoffs hurt Eric Bienemy's chance of getting a Head coaching position? as teams remember what happened to the Colts with Josh McDaniels"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

So far we have:

 

-Saleh hired by the Jets and is bringing Mike Lafleur as his OC

Biggest question "Will they stick with Darnold?" I believe yes

 

-Urban Hired by the Jags

Biggest Question "Can he transfer from college to NFL? and how long will he stay?" I think he's enough of a players coach to transfer but who knows on how long he will be there.

 

-Arthur Smith offered the job for the Falcons

Biggest question if he accepts it "Will he bring in a DC who can fix the defense?"

 

Still open Jobs:

 

Eagles

Texans

Lions

Chargers

 

and lastly here's a question "Will a long run in the playoffs hurt Eric Bienemy's chance of getting a Head coaching position? as teams remember what happened to the Colts with Josh McDaniels"

 

See, that's the thing I'm thinking about with Urban. Being a head coach in the NFL isn't a normal job. It's 24/7, eat, sleep and breath. That can really be taxing on a person's health, and well, Urban's left positions before citing issues with health and family. I can see him completely transforming the Jags, making them even a winning organization, and then suddenly retiring. 

 

It's one heckuva risk the Jags are taking. But, it could pay off in a big way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

and lastly here's a question "Will a long run in the playoffs hurt Eric Bienemy's chance of getting a Head coaching position? as teams remember what happened to the Colts with Josh McDaniels"

 

 

I think the Texans are set to interview Bienemy.

 

And I don't think the McDaniels situation will affect team's decision making, as that was probably an aberration involving one of the slimiest people in the entire league, and a franchise that may have been purposely trying to sabotage the Colts. JMO.

 

At this point, if Bienemy doesn't get hired, it might say something about him, not the league or the process.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

I think the Texans are set to interview Bienemy.

 

And I don't think the McDaniels situation will affect team's decision making, as that was probably an aberration involving one of the slimiest people in the entire league, and a franchise that may have been purposely trying to sabotage the Colts. JMO.

 

At this point, if Bienemy doesn't get hired, it might say something about him, not the league or the process.

 

Bienemy will be hired by some team...he has interviewed with 6 of them. My guess would be LAC for Herbert.

 

I think PHI will go with Brady. That's about as fresh of a start as you can get. And you get a QB guru to help develop Hurts.

 

ATL hires Arthur Smith.

 

DET will wait until the playoffs are further along.

 

HOU is such a risky spot right now...no idea what they will do. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zoltan said:

 

-Arthur Smith offered the job for the Falcons

Biggest question if he accepts it "Will he bring in a DC who can fix the defense?"

 

Second biggest question:  hey Arthur, can you bring in FedEx as a major sponsor?  I hear you have connections there!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

See, that's the thing I'm thinking about with Urban. Being a head coach in the NFL isn't a normal job. It's 24/7, eat, sleep and breath. That can really be taxing on a person's health, and well, Urban's left positions before citing issues with health and family. I can see him completely transforming the Jags, making them even a winning organization, and then suddenly retiring. 

 

It's one heckuva risk the Jags are taking. But, it could pay off in a big way. 

 

I think the one thing that makes it easier though is not having to constantly battling for recruits and getting more of a break in the offseason but NFL coaching is different

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

 

Bienemy will be hired by some team...he has interviewed with 6 of them. My guess would be LAC for Herbert.

 

I think PHI will go with Brady. That's about as fresh of a start as you can get. And you get a QB guru to help develop Hurts.

 

ATL hires Arthur Smith.

 

DET will wait until the playoffs are further along.

 

HOU is such a risky spot right now...no idea what they will do. 

 

I don't understand the Joe Brady QB Guru label, he was the passing game coordinator and WR coach at LSU, not the QB coach and his one year with Teddy was good but Teddy was good with the saints.

 

Although Eagles make sense in the fact they have not been able to develop WRs or even draft good ones

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a similarity:

 

Tony Dungy / Peyton Manning

Bill Belichick / Tom Brady

John Harbaugh / Joe Flacco (3 AFCCG in first 5 years with 1 SB)

Mike Tomlin / Big Ben

Pete Carroll / Russell Wilson

 

All these successful head coaches came from a defensive background. Is it just me or does this defensive/ST specialty coach / QB combo paired with a good OC just lets the QB flourish and have better success instead of the offensive HC / QB combo? Wasn't Chuck Noll from a defensive background too?

 

I know folks will point to an Andy Reid / Mahomes combo, Sean Payton / Drew Brees and Bill Walsh / Montana combo but if I am looking at it objectively, 3 out of the 4 AFC division winners have head coaches with defensive backgrounds (Sean McDermott, Mike Tomlin, Mike Vrabel), and the last time the Colts made noise, it was with Chuck Pagano and Andrew Luck in the AFCCG.

 

I was just looking at SB winning coaches above and trying to piece what is going on overall with winning teams. Bill O' Brien and Josh McDaniels as offensive head coaches flopped. Sean McVay, the verdict is still out because this is the best defense his team has had but his offense ironically is what is holding the team back. 

 

Just an observation.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Saleh being hired by the NYJ is huge. It likely points to them NOT drafting a QB...which means #2 is now in play.

If you are suggesting Colts trade up its not happening 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Zoltan said:

 

I don't understand the Joe Brady QB Guru label, he was the passing game coordinator and WR coach at LSU, not the QB coach and his one year with Teddy was good but Teddy was good with the saints.

 

Although Eagles make sense in the fact they have not been able to develop WRs or even draft good ones


He might not be a QB guru...but I know he gets a lot of credit for what Burrow did at LSU.

 

Can’t really judge on what Teddy B did after one season...but I wouldn’t say Teddy was bad. 

 

I just think he is PHI’s guy. And then PHI will draft Chase.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

If you are suggesting Colts trade up its not happening 

Agreed.... Ballard would never part with the draft capital necessary to make that move.

 

 I will ask this though.... would Urban Meyer possibly pull a “Kliff Kingsbury/Kyler Murray” gambit and take Justin Fields instead of Trevor Lawrence?

 

Because IF he does then the Jets would be sitting on even more of a goldmine at #2 with Lawrence sitting there.

 

And the Forum would explode with trade up proposals.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Eagles are a trainwreck 

 

He did get a taste of what it is to coach an RPO style offense with Cam Newton and he could get an upgrade with Jalen Hurts over Cam Newton, not that it is saying too much. :) 

 

If it is Wentz, I think he will get to work with much more and Miles Sanders might still take a shot at Wentz or McDaniels with some social media or interview comment, because that is what he does when things aren't going well and probably because a conventional offense, as opposed to an RPO offense hurts his RB stats and thus his future 2nd contract. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2021 at 1:28 PM, shasta519 said:

Bienemy will be hired by some team...he has interviewed with 6 of them. My guess would be LAC for Herbert.

 

I heard the Chargers will hire the Bills' OC (Daboll?).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

LAC just threw everyone a curveball

I like Brandon Staley, he had arguably the best DT and best CB in the league, but that defense was really good.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, w87r said:

I like Brandon Staley, he had arguably the best DT and best CB in the league, but that defense was really good.

I didn’t say it was a bad call just an odd one since everyone had called Daboll to LA

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

I didn’t say it was a bad call just an odd one since everyone had called Daboll to LA

I know you weren't was nist giving my opinion of Staley.

 

I thought Daboll was logical choice as well, maybe they got scared he wouldn't leave Buffalo(also had to wait on him) and thought Houston or Philly might hire Staley?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, w87r said:

I know you weren't was nist giving my opinion of Staley.

 

I thought Daboll was logical choice as well, maybe they got scared he wouldn't leave Buffalo(also had to wait on him) and thought Houston or Philly might hire Staley?

Very Possible 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2021 at 8:25 AM, pacolts56 said:

Agreed.... Ballard would never part with the draft capital necessary to make that move.

 

 I will ask this though.... would Urban Meyer possibly pull a “Kliff Kingsbury/Kyler Murray” gambit and take Justin Fields instead of Trevor Lawrence?

 

Because IF he does then the Jets would be sitting on even more of a goldmine at #2 with Lawrence sitting there.

 

And the Forum would explode with trade up proposals.

No, I doubt it.

I think the reason he's going to Jax is because of Lawrence. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2021 at 8:25 AM, pacolts56 said:

Agreed.... Ballard would never part with the draft capital necessary to make that move.

 

 I will ask this though.... would Urban Meyer possibly pull a “Kliff Kingsbury/Kyler Murray” gambit and take Justin Fields instead of Trevor Lawrence?

 

Because IF he does then the Jets would be sitting on even more of a goldmine at #2 with Lawrence sitting there.

 

And the Forum would explode with trade up proposals.

 

I doubt it happens also. For one thing the Jets would be totally foolish to pass up on fields and don't think they will. Second, i don't think the colts have the draft capital to make the move vs what other teams can offer.

But, I personally don't think draft capital is as important as a potential franchise/Elite QB.

 

Fields may turn out to be a Bust... or he may turn out to be like a Deshaun Watson. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

I doubt it happens also. For one thing the Jets would be totally foolish to pass up on fields and don't think they will. Second, i don't think the colts have the draft capital to make the move vs what other teams can offer.

But, I personally don't think draft capital is as important as a potential franchise/Elite QB.

 

Fields may turn out to be a Bust... or he may turn out to be like a Deshaun Watson. 

All true....

 

Which is why my preference....if Rivers retires... would be a “Buckner-like” trade for Stafford.

 

Offering Detroit # 21 straight up for a proven 32 yr old QB is fine by me... and would settle things down at QB for 4-5 seasons.

 

And the Lions start fresh with whoever they can grab at #7.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Surprise move 

 

Chargers are Hiring Rams DC Staley as their new Head coach. 
 

Makes you wonder what they wil do for OC to help Herbert out

 

Interesting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

I doubt it happens also. For one thing the Jets would be totally foolish to pass up on fields and don't think they will. Second, i don't think the colts have the draft capital to make the move vs what other teams can offer.

But, I personally don't think draft capital is as important as a potential franchise/Elite QB.

 

Fields may turn out to be a Bust... or he may turn out to be like a Deshaun Watson. 

 

 

Urban Meyer got to watch plenty of him from the booth and should know how well he would project to the NFL. as he probably knows his strengths and weaknesses when he recruited him to Ohio State.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Surprise move 

 

Chargers are Hiring Rams DC Staley as their new Head coach. 
 

Makes you wonder what they wil do for OC to help Herbert out

 

Doug Pederson for OC, maybe???

 

I like this pairing. Like I pointed out, hiring a defensive oriented coach along with a budding QB and quality OC has provided very good results in history at the highest level.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, w87r said:

I know you weren't was nist giving my opinion of Staley.

 

I thought Daboll was logical choice as well, maybe they got scared he wouldn't leave Buffalo(also had to wait on him) and thought Houston or Philly might hire Staley?

 

True. Daboll is still in the playoffs and Staley and the Rams were out. Bienemy is still in the playoffs. 

 

Josh McDaniels, now he is the leftover that you consider after the good hires are taken. The Eagles might ask him to sign the contract in blood before he walks out the door or have a mongoose at the contract signings for that snake. :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

Official Dan Campbell hired by the Lions,

 

I am surprised that they went with him instead of some of the bigger names out there

 

Nick Sirianni is definitely the dark horse candidate they feel will turn around Wentz. It would be a punch in the gut for Josh McDaniels and a big loss for the Colts but I would be happy for Nick if that happened. 

 

 

Add the 68 plus completion % for Rivers this year to his resume as well, the big commonality in all of this is Nick Sirianni. They feel he is more primed to fix Wentz than McDaniels.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chad72 said:

 

Nick Sirianni is definitely the dark horse candidate they feel will turn around Wentz. It would be a punch in the gut for Josh McDaniels and a big loss for the Colts but I would be happy for Nick if that happened. 

 

 

Add the 68 plus completion % for Rivers this year to his resume as well, the big commonality in all of this is Nick Sirianni. They feel he is more primed to fix Wentz than McDaniels.

"We stole their OC so now they want to steal ours" is all i heard lol

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2021 at 8:41 AM, Zoltan said:

Official Dan Campbell hired by the Lions,

 

I am surprised that they went with him instead of some of the bigger names out there

 

Just saw some of his intro presser. Passionate guy, but if that press conference is any indication the Lions are gonna be a disaster...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Superman said:

 

Just saw some of his intro presser. Passionate guy, but if that press conference is any indication the Lions are gonna be a disaster...

 

Yeah, he's gonna need some good coordinators otherwise their struggles are just gonna continue, I prefer a strategic HC over a super passionate any day of the week because as soon as they lose and he loses their locker room its over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Kind of related, and I didn't think it was worth a new topic... Packers HC considering giving up play calling duties. I love this, and I wish Reich would consider it. I have always thought the head coach being a primary play caller is a liability, even when he's a good play caller. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I think the only one I will hold off 1st round is CB with Carrie returning 
    • Quite frankly.....   You're open to everything.     Your positions change day to day and seemingly hour to hour.    It's the one constant in your posting.     You'll have a new position very shortly.   Hey, whatever works for you.....  
    • I'm open to the idea of other positions that aren't WR and OT because the class for both is deep
    • Overall, Smith will get a lot of buzz. He had some blood clot issues 2 years ago I think (all is OK now), but somebody will grab him. He was a very high regarded recruit coming out of HS. Either Chad or I. 
    • Close to mid-way of the Third Round:   65) Kansas City (via Jags) 7:00  @danlhart87 Kelvin Joseph  KENTUCKY   CB  66) New York Jets 7:05 @Archer Dillon Radunz  NORTH DAKOTA STATE    OT  67) Houston Texans 7:10 @Qwiz  Robert Rochell  CENTRAL ARKANSAS   CB   68) Atlanta Falcons 7:15@jvan1973  Dayo Odeyingbo  VANDERBILT  EDGE   69) Cincinnati Bengals 7:20 @stitches  Walker Little  STANFORD   OT   70) Philadelphia Eagles 7:25 @Defjamz26 Jabril Cox  LSU  LB 71) Denver Broncos 7:30 @ColtsGermany Elijah Molden  WASHINGTON  6.25    CB     72) Detroit Lions 7:35 @RNGDShobby  Jamar Johnson  INDIANA  6.30    SAF   73) Carolina Panthers 7:50 @MPStack Pete Werner  OHIO STATE     LB 74) Washington Football Team (from 49ers) 7:55 @Coltsman1788 Davis Mills  STANFORD     QB 75) Dallas Cowboys 8:00 @luv_pony_express Stone Forsythe  FLORIDA  6.27    OT     76) New York Giants 8:05 @DiogoSales  77) Los Angeles Charger 8:10 @PRnum1 Shakur Brown  MICHIGAN STATE  6.23    CB  78) Minnesota Vikings 8:15 @luv_pony_express Trey Smith  TENNESSEE  6.18    G  
  • Members

    • NFLfan

      NFLfan 8,594

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • chad72

      chad72 7,494

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NewColtsFan

      NewColtsFan 9,300

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • JoeThornburg

      JoeThornburg 137

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • WarGhost21

      WarGhost21 969

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • danlhart87

      danlhart87 8,737

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • BlueShoe

      BlueShoe 683

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • LJpalmbeacher2

      LJpalmbeacher2 1,978

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jskinnz

      jskinnz 1,888

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • BillHill

      BillHill 6

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...