Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

League Head Coach Hires

So far we have:

-Saleh hired by the Jets and is bringing Mike Lafleur as his OC

Biggest question "Will they stick with Darnold?" I believe yes

-Urban Hired by the Jags

Biggest Question "Can he transfer from college to NFL? and how long will he stay?" I think he's enough of a players coach to transfer but who knows on how long he will be there.

-Arthur Smith offered the job for the Falcons

Biggest question if he accepts it "Will he bring in a DC who can fix the defense?"

Still open Jobs:

Eagles

Texans

Lions

Chargers

and lastly here's a question "Will a long run in the playoffs hurt Eric Bienemy's chance of getting a Head coaching position? as teams remember what happened to the Colts with Josh McDaniels"

19 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

So far we have:

-Saleh hired by the Jets and is bringing Mike Lafleur as his OC

Biggest question "Will they stick with Darnold?" I believe yes

-Urban Hired by the Jags

Biggest Question "Can he transfer from college to NFL? and how long will he stay?" I think he's enough of a players coach to transfer but who knows on how long he will be there.

Biggest question if he accepts it "Will he bring in a DC who can fix the defense?"

Still open Jobs:

Eagles

Texans

Lions

Chargers

and lastly here's a question "Will a long run in the playoffs hurt Eric Bienemy's chance of getting a Head coaching position? as teams remember what happened to the Colts with Josh McDaniels"

See, that's the thing I'm thinking about with Urban. Being a head coach in the NFL isn't a normal job. It's 24/7, eat, sleep and breath. That can really be taxing on a person's health, and well, Urban's left positions before citing issues with health and family. I can see him completely transforming the Jags, making them even a winning organization, and then suddenly retiring. 

It's one heckuva risk the Jags are taking. But, it could pay off in a big way. 

44 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I think the Texans are set to interview Bienemy.

And I don't think the McDaniels situation will affect team's decision making, as that was probably an aberration involving one of the slimiest people in the entire league, and a franchise that may have been purposely trying to sabotage the Colts. JMO.

At this point, if Bienemy doesn't get hired, it might say something about him, not the league or the process.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think the Texans are set to interview Bienemy.

And I don't think the McDaniels situation will affect team's decision making, as that was probably an aberration involving one of the slimiest people in the entire league, and a franchise that may have been purposely trying to sabotage the Colts. JMO.

At this point, if Bienemy doesn't get hired, it might say something about him, not the league or the process.

Bienemy will be hired by some team...he has interviewed with 6 of them. My guess would be LAC for Herbert.

I think PHI will go with Brady. That's about as fresh of a start as you can get. And you get a QB guru to help develop Hurts.

ATL hires Arthur Smith.

DET will wait until the playoffs are further along.

HOU is such a risky spot right now...no idea what they will do. 

2 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Second biggest question:  hey Arthur, can you bring in FedEx as a major sponsor?  I hear you have connections there!

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

See, that's the thing I'm thinking about with Urban. Being a head coach in the NFL isn't a normal job. It's 24/7, eat, sleep and breath. That can really be taxing on a person's health, and well, Urban's left positions before citing issues with health and family. I can see him completely transforming the Jags, making them even a winning organization, and then suddenly retiring. 

It's one heckuva risk the Jags are taking. But, it could pay off in a big way. 

I think the one thing that makes it easier though is not having to constantly battling for recruits and getting more of a break in the offseason but NFL coaching is different

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

Bienemy will be hired by some team...he has interviewed with 6 of them. My guess would be LAC for Herbert.

I think PHI will go with Brady. That's about as fresh of a start as you can get. And you get a QB guru to help develop Hurts.

ATL hires Arthur Smith.

DET will wait until the playoffs are further along.

HOU is such a risky spot right now...no idea what they will do. 

I don't understand the Joe Brady QB Guru label, he was the passing game coordinator and WR coach at LSU, not the QB coach and his one year with Teddy was good but Teddy was good with the saints.

Although Eagles make sense in the fact they have not been able to develop WRs or even draft good ones

Here is a similarity:

Tony Dungy / Peyton Manning

Bill Belichick / Tom Brady

John Harbaugh / Joe Flacco (3 AFCCG in first 5 years with 1 SB)

Mike Tomlin / Big Ben

Pete Carroll / Russell Wilson

All these successful head coaches came from a defensive background. Is it just me or does this defensive/ST specialty coach / QB combo paired with a good OC just lets the QB flourish and have better success instead of the offensive HC / QB combo? Wasn't Chuck Noll from a defensive background too?

I know folks will point to an Andy Reid / Mahomes combo, Sean Payton / Drew Brees and Bill Walsh / Montana combo but if I am looking at it objectively, 3 out of the 4 AFC division winners have head coaches with defensive backgrounds (Sean McDermott, Mike Tomlin, Mike Vrabel), and the last time the Colts made noise, it was with Chuck Pagano and Andrew Luck in the AFCCG.

I was just looking at SB winning coaches above and trying to piece what is going on overall with winning teams. Bill O' Brien and Josh McDaniels as offensive head coaches flopped. Sean McVay, the verdict is still out because this is the best defense his team has had but his offense ironically is what is holding the team back. 

Just an observation.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Saleh being hired by the NYJ is huge. It likely points to them NOT drafting a QB...which means #2 is now in play.

If you are suggesting Colts trade up its not happening 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I don't understand the Joe Brady QB Guru label, he was the passing game coordinator and WR coach at LSU, not the QB coach and his one year with Teddy was good but Teddy was good with the saints.

Although Eagles make sense in the fact they have not been able to develop WRs or even draft good ones

He might not be a QB guru...but I know he gets a lot of credit for what Burrow did at LSU.

Can’t really judge on what Teddy B did after one season...but I wouldn’t say Teddy was bad. 

I just think he is PHI’s guy. And then PHI will draft Chase.

14 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

If you are suggesting Colts trade up its not happening 

Agreed.... Ballard would never part with the draft capital necessary to make that move.

I will ask this though.... would Urban Meyer possibly pull a “Kliff Kingsbury/Kyler Murray” gambit and take Justin Fields instead of Trevor Lawrence?

Because IF he does then the Jets would be sitting on even more of a goldmine at #2 with Lawrence sitting there.

And the Forum would explode with trade up proposals.

2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Eagles are a trainwreck 

He did get a taste of what it is to coach an RPO style offense with Cam Newton and he could get an upgrade with Jalen Hurts over Cam Newton, not that it is saying too much. :) 

If it is Wentz, I think he will get to work with much more and Miles Sanders might still take a shot at Wentz or McDaniels with some social media or interview comment, because that is what he does when things aren't going well and probably because a conventional offense, as opposed to an RPO offense hurts his RB stats and thus his future 2nd contract. 

On 1/15/2021 at 1:28 PM, shasta519 said:

I heard the Chargers will hire the Bills' OC (Daboll?).

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

LAC just threw everyone a curveball

I like Brandon Staley, he had arguably the best DT and best CB in the league, but that defense was really good.

• Like 1
Just now, w87r said:

I like Brandon Staley, he had arguably the best DT and best CB in the league, but that defense was really good.

I didn’t say it was a bad call just an odd one since everyone had called Daboll to LA

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

I didn’t say it was a bad call just an odd one since everyone had called Daboll to LA

I know you weren't was nist giving my opinion of Staley.

I thought Daboll was logical choice as well, maybe they got scared he wouldn't leave Buffalo(also had to wait on him) and thought Houston or Philly might hire Staley?

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, w87r said:

I thought Daboll was logical choice as well, maybe they got scared he wouldn't leave Buffalo(also had to wait on him) and thought Houston or Philly might hire Staley?

Very Possible 

On 1/16/2021 at 8:25 AM, pacolts56 said:

Agreed.... Ballard would never part with the draft capital necessary to make that move.

I will ask this though.... would Urban Meyer possibly pull a “Kliff Kingsbury/Kyler Murray” gambit and take Justin Fields instead of Trevor Lawrence?

Because IF he does then the Jets would be sitting on even more of a goldmine at #2 with Lawrence sitting there.

No, I doubt it.

I think the reason he's going to Jax is because of Lawrence. 

• Like 2
On 1/16/2021 at 8:25 AM, pacolts56 said:

I doubt it happens also. For one thing the Jets would be totally foolish to pass up on fields and don't think they will. Second, i don't think the colts have the draft capital to make the move vs what other teams can offer.

But, I personally don't think draft capital is as important as a potential franchise/Elite QB.

Fields may turn out to be a Bust... or he may turn out to be like a Deshaun Watson. 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I doubt it happens also. For one thing the Jets would be totally foolish to pass up on fields and don't think they will. Second, i don't think the colts have the draft capital to make the move vs what other teams can offer.

But, I personally don't think draft capital is as important as a potential franchise/Elite QB.

Fields may turn out to be a Bust... or he may turn out to be like a Deshaun Watson. 

All true....

Which is why my preference....if Rivers retires... would be a “Buckner-like” trade for Stafford.

Offering Detroit # 21 straight up for a proven 32 yr old QB is fine by me... and would settle things down at QB for 4-5 seasons.

And the Lions start fresh with whoever they can grab at #7.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Surprise move 

Chargers are Hiring Rams DC Staley as their new Head coach. 

Makes you wonder what they wil do for OC to help Herbert out

Interesting. 

11 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Urban Meyer got to watch plenty of him from the booth and should know how well he would project to the NFL. as he probably knows his strengths and weaknesses when he recruited him to Ohio State.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Surprise move 

Chargers are Hiring Rams DC Staley as their new Head coach. 

Makes you wonder what they wil do for OC to help Herbert out

Doug Pederson for OC, maybe???

I like this pairing. Like I pointed out, hiring a defensive oriented coach along with a budding QB and quality OC has provided very good results in history at the highest level.

12 hours ago, w87r said:

True. Daboll is still in the playoffs and Staley and the Rams were out. Bienemy is still in the playoffs. 

Josh McDaniels, now he is the leftover that you consider after the good hires are taken. The Eagles might ask him to sign the contract in blood before he walks out the door or have a mongoose at the contract signings for that snake. :) 

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

Official Dan Campbell hired by the Lions,

I am surprised that they went with him instead of some of the bigger names out there

Nick Sirianni is definitely the dark horse candidate they feel will turn around Wentz. It would be a punch in the gut for Josh McDaniels and a big loss for the Colts but I would be happy for Nick if that happened. 

Add the 68 plus completion % for Rivers this year to his resume as well, the big commonality in all of this is Nick Sirianni. They feel he is more primed to fix Wentz than McDaniels.

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Nick Sirianni is definitely the dark horse candidate they feel will turn around Wentz. It would be a punch in the gut for Josh McDaniels and a big loss for the Colts but I would be happy for Nick if that happened. 

Add the 68 plus completion % for Rivers this year to his resume as well, the big commonality in all of this is Nick Sirianni. They feel he is more primed to fix Wentz than McDaniels.

"We stole their OC so now they want to steal ours" is all i heard lol

• Haha 1
On 1/20/2021 at 8:41 AM, Zoltan said:

Official Dan Campbell hired by the Lions,

I am surprised that they went with him instead of some of the bigger names out there

Just saw some of his intro presser. Passionate guy, but if that press conference is any indication the Lions are gonna be a disaster...

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Just saw some of his intro presser. Passionate guy, but if that press conference is any indication the Lions are gonna be a disaster...

Yeah, he's gonna need some good coordinators otherwise their struggles are just gonna continue, I prefer a strategic HC over a super passionate any day of the week because as soon as they lose and he loses their locker room its over.

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of related, and I didn't think it was worth a new topic... Packers HC considering giving up play calling duties. I love this, and I wish Reich would consider it. I have always thought the head coach being a primary play caller is a liability, even when he's a good play caller.