Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Kind Of D I'd Like To See

coltnorth

The kind of D I would like to see the colts use this year is a Saban D. I watched a lot of Crimson Tide games this year. Perhaps the most dominant D at any level I've ever seen. Most people say they were a 3-4 team but that's not actually true. In multiple interviews Saban said they played the 3-4 base defense only about 25% of the time. He likes to be as flexible as possible. This year they didn't have a massive guy in the middle. They use 315lbs Chapman. He actually played more of a 4-3 DT than a NT. When it was a "running down", they switched to a 4-3. This allowed chapman to have help and also had Upshaw on the line. On "passing" downs they ran more of a 5-2 front to create mismatches. This kind of D allows a team to adjust and play to the strengths of the team. This would mean the colts wouldn't have to reach for a huge NT this year. Draft a big body later. Draft a guy like Thompson or Chapman earlier to play DT/DE/NT. They would be versitile for the hybrid. Saban also said the key to a successful hybrid D was a solid secondary. Jenkins in the second, Thompson in the third. Ideal

The most dominant D I've ever seen in college football. Chapman played most of the season injured and was excellent.

I understand that CFB isn't the NFL but I bet half the guys from that team will be starters in the NFL within 2 or 3 years.

Saban is one of the best college coaches ever. Won national titles at two schools. Came to Bama and turned them from a .500 team to a powerhouse. He knows how to get the most out of the young kids. He's not a great NFL coach. He can't control a NFL locker room. Thing with college ball is you have huge turnpver every year. Success every year is very hard to do. His D is so good because he has great players and changes things up so they are in the best position to succeed. He doesn't just stick to the same scheme if the players don't fit it.

Didn't mean this to be about Nick Saban. Wanted to show the defense the team played because I see similarities in the personel. The colts don't have a huge guy to play NT. Instead they can play more 4-3 in the hybrid until they get a big talent guy to play it. Don't reach for a guy just because you think we have to stay in a 3-4 all the time. The Tide used Courtney Upshaw as a 4-3 end a lot because he was a huge pass rusher and a great tackler but wasn't so great in coverage. Just like Freeney. I was just saying if they play a hybrid they can use a 4-3 often and a 5-2 as well. Mix things up. Create ways to attack with your roster. Isn't that what they said they wanted to do.

I expect to see a copycat of the ravens in a way expect an improvement in the Run Defense not 'Hey run on us all day Tampa 2 D'. I just don't know how good powers is in man, and I think if we get Kirkpatrick or whoever will need to be a good man cover corner.

I expect to see a top 15 D possibly next year, just don't expect Shutdown D next year is all.

I expect to see a copycat of the ravens in a way expect an improvement in the Run Defense not 'Hey run on us all day Tampa 2 D'. I just don't know how good powers is in man, and I think if we get Kirkpatrick or whoever will need to be a good man cover corner.

I expect to see a top 15 D possibly next year, just don't expect Shutdown D next year is all.

I agree. I think Pagano will go nuts if he see's us getting run on like that anymore. He will definitely be working on that. I know it won't be ravens good but in time after a few years we should be very good I think.

I agree. I think Pagano will go nuts if he see's us getting run on like that anymore. He will definitely be working on that. I know it won't be ravens good but in time after a few years we should be very good I think.

I'd settle for Ravens average, especially if our O takes off.

Pagano has said we will do a mix and Hybrid's.. he had 6-8 different defenses in Baltimore and I believe he will do similar here and he has stated that he will use the talent he has.. He wants Freeney and Mathis.. I would like to know how he and the staff feels about our secondary people we have? Are they as bad as people say or is it that we have talent, but just didn't have the right coaches to bring out their talents...

Can't wait to see the draft and the team on the field.

If the colts try to copy the ravens things wont go well. We don't have those players. We don't have their NT. We don't have their LBs. We have some real talent on defense but it doesn't mesh with the Ravens system for this coming year. Maybe in a couple years when you get in the massive athletic NT, and the huge hard hitting LBs. I hope people don't believe that because something works with one roster, it will work perfectly with another. Overall our defense is still going to be smaller and faster.

I just want to have a defense that teams start to respect. If we start to put the right players into a stronger scheme (which the 3-4 has shown to be in recent years) I believe we will in a few years. Or maybe that's the optimism talking.

I trust that Pagano knows what he is doin when it comes to the D.

Agree, I trust Chuck and think he will be creative. I can't say I know exactly how the Colts will create a hybrid D that starts with a 3-4 but does some other things but think they will be original in how they implement their 3-4.

I get your point coltnorth. As has been mentioned already, I believe that the strategy that Pagano is going to use is a hybrid D. We will not "just" be running a 3-4 or a 4-3 or a Tampa 2 (THANK GOD NO MORE OF THIS). No, instead we will be a more active D that is watching what type of play the O is playing, and then we will adjust to counter act that play. Pagano has proved that he knows D and he knows how to run it, so as mentioned already I trust him to get it right. Be prepared to see the hybrid type D that you are wanting to see, cause that's what Pagano is bringing to Indy. I cannot wait to see our Colts actually being allowed to attack, attack, attack. Play after play. No more of the 10 to 15 yards down the field and giving up 5 to 7 yards each play. No, we are going to be fierce and I cannot wait!