Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard end of season presser tomorrow 1 pm

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My takes:  wants to keep Rivers but both sides need time   likes Eason but isn’t sold on him as the backup yet let alone the starter.  I don’t expect the Colts to roll with him as the starte

Btw, if there's no Combine, this is gonna be one of the worst drafts in a while for a lot of teams.

A first and a second for Stafford seems very rich.  If we’re giving up that kind of draft capital, I’d rather go up and get us a young guy from the draft who we can groom and mold on our own.  As much as I like Stafford out of all the other veteran options, he’s done a lot of losing in his career.  

Can he come here and shed the loser’s moniker or is that just who he is as a QB?  Plus he gets a lot of garbage time yards vs prevent defenses after he’s thrown early interceptions or been ineffective early in games.  Also Stafford’s accuracy can be very erratic. I think we’d need more bigger high pointing receiving options to offset his tendency to spray the ball high. 

10 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

A first and a second for Stafford seems very rich.  If we’re giving up that kind of draft capital, I’d rather go up and get us a young guy from the draft who we can groom and mold on our own.  As much as I like Stafford out of all the other veteran options, he’s done a lot of losing in his career.  

Can he come here and shed the loser’s moniker or is that just who he is as a QB?  Plus he gets a lot of garbage time yards vs prevent defenses after he’s thrown early interceptions or been ineffective early in games.  Also Stafford’s accuracy can be very erratic. I think we’d need more bigger high pointing receiving options to offset his tendency to spray the ball high. 

You aren't moving up far with a 1st and a second

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I know it would take more but a 1 & a 2 for Stafford just seems like a lot for a guy who has never even won a playoff game.  I’d rather add another 2 & a 1 and get up into the top 5.   Now, if you said a 2nd for Stafford.  Fine. 2nd & a 3rd or 4th.  Fine.  But a 1 & a 2 is too high.  You give that up for an aging Rodgers.  Maybe our first and second for their high 2nd???  Maybe. 

57 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I know it would take more but a 1 & a 2 for Stafford just seems like a lot for a guy who has never even won a playoff game.  I’d rather add another 2 & a 1 and get up into the top 5.   Now, if you said a 2nd for Stafford.  Fine. 2nd & a 3rd or 4th.  Fine.  But a 1 & a 2 is too high.  You give that up for an aging Rodgers.  Maybe our first and second for their high 2nd???  Maybe. 

Moving into the top 5 would cost 3 1s several 2s and 3s and that might not even be enough

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Moving into the top 5 would cost 3 1s several 2s and 3s and that might not even be enough

Well we aren’t giving up that for anybody but Mahomes.  I think two 1’s and a couple 2’s would be the max we’d do.  Maybe throw in a player like Rock. Would Saleh (former 49ers DC & new Jets HC) be interested in Rock?

Just now, Smoke317 said:

Well we aren’t giving up that for anybody but Mahomes.  I think two 1’s and a couple 2’s would be the max we’d do.  Maybe throw in a player like Rock. Would Saleh (former 49ers DC & new Jets HC) be interested in Rock?

If that's what we offered this is what would happen 200.gif

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Just to give you an idea of how draft trades work when the Redskins moved up nine spots to pick 26 at the end of the first round it cost them two second rounders.  A first and second aren’t going to get you up high enough to take a QB unless someone majorly slips and if that happens you have to wonder why they are falling that far.  Yes Rodgers slipped but so Johnny Football and Brady Quinn and guys who have careers that turn out like that are far more common for QBs who slip that far in the first round than a guy like Rodgers.  They slip because teams don’t think he’s the guy.  

Now with that said I do think that’s what Ballard was talking about when he said it takes a little luck.  He knows for them to get a QB early in the draft someone he really likes is going to have to slip some.  So I wouldn’t rule out him going up to get someone if they slip bit picking at 21 your talking mid first round at the earliest for a first and second.  They aren’t going to jump into the top ten for that.  

the closet I can find to that kind of move is the Jets going up 12 picks from 17 to 5 to get Sanchez and it cost them a first, a second, and three players.  Point being it didn’t come cheap and 1st and 2nd alone isn’t going to get you where you want to be to get a stud QB when your picking 21 in all likely hood.  

On 1/14/2021 at 9:09 PM, jvan1973 said:

Did Ballard pick on you as a child?  Steal your lunch money?  

I was to poor to have lunch money. Looking at Ballard, I doubt he would have been successful in bullying me or anyone else on this forum. 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I was to poor to have lunch money. Looking at Ballard, I doubt he would have been successful in bullying me or anyone else on this forum. 

He was a D1 football player.   He grew up in Texas.    I'm guessing he was pretty jacked as a young man.     He lunch money taking ability was probably pretty good.  Assuming he was into that kind of thing

• Like 1
On 1/15/2021 at 10:25 AM, richard pallo said:

I would be open to Darnold over Wentz.  Considering he was a high pick and only 23 with a lot of playing experience on a very bad team I would not have a problem with bringing him over.  No reason to think he couldn't succeed in the right circumstances like Tannehill did.  He would be my option 3. 

What have u seen out of Darnold that would make u think he would excel with the Colts. Please dont give me the exscuse he has played with no talent. If he is a legit #3 overall pick and a franchise qb, you would have seen some wow moments over the last 3 years. Have u seen anything to suggest he is the answer? If so, please provide proof. Just because he was drafted #3 overall does not mean he has undiscovered talent.

My takeaway from Ballard is that they are looking for something long term. Rivers and the Colts will part ways.

I think if Mac Jones is available at 21 we draft him. He has great pocket presence and one of the best deep ball throwers I’ve seen enter the league. 

18 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

What have u seen out of Darnold that would make u think he would excel with the Colts. Please dont give me the exscuse he has played with no talent. If he is a legit #3 overall pick and a franchise qb, you would have seen some wow moments over the last 3 years. Have u seen anything to suggest he is the answer? If so, please provide proof. Just because he was drafted #3 overall does not mean he has undiscovered talent.

He has discovered talent alright.  That's why he was drafted No. 3 overall.  I watch Colt's games not Jet's games.  But I have seen plenty of wow moment highlights from him over the last three years on post game highlights.  So he has the talent and the move to a good team with a good OL and a good coach could be a great situation for him.  That's where the Colts come into play.  That said It looks like his new coach is going to keep him and build the team around him.  So I'm expecting they pull a "Ballard" and trade back in the 1st. round.  

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Interesting there are stories coming out that Wentz is uncoachable. Then I saw a story the eagles wanted to fire Reich and pederson stood up for him.

As the world turns.  Heard that earlier about Wentz.  Reich that's a new one. 

15 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I know it would take more but a 1 & a 2 for Stafford just seems like a lot    Now, if you said a 2nd for Stafford.  Fine. 2nd & a 3rd or 4th.  Fine.  But a 1 & a 2 is too high.  You give that up for an aging Rodgers.  Maybe our first and second for their high 2nd???  Maybe. 

Who's ever won in Detroit?  It's a Franchise so bad that 2 all time greats retired early(Sanders &Calvin) because of frustration of losing so much.

You seem more concerned about amount of compensation we give up to get him than actually if we get him?

If he can lead us to a Super Bowl it matters little of the cost of a higher round pick to get him.... if he cant get us to a Super Bowl, it matters even less how cheap he comes.

We need a QB that can play at a high level in playoffs to beat QB's like Mahomes, Allen etc... and maybe overcome a dropped pass or two, less than perfect coaching decisions,  and maybe a call against us.

Is Stafford the guy, I don't know?

That's the question I'm more concerned with.

16 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Who's ever won in Detroit?  It's a Franchise so bad that 2 all time greats retired early(Sanders &Calvin) because of frustration of losing so much.

You seem more concerned about amount of compensation we give up to get him than actually if we get him?

If he can lead us to a Super Bowl it matters little of the cost of a higher round pick to get him.... if he cant get us to a Super Bowl, it matters even less how cheap he comes.

We need a QB that can play at a high level in playoffs to beat QB's like Mahomes, Allen etc... and maybe overcome a dropped pass or two, less than perfect coaching decisions,  and maybe a call against us.

Is Stafford the guy, I don't know?

That's the question I'm more concerned with.

When you put it like that:  Beat Mahomes, overcome a dropped pass or two or less than perfect coaching decisions then I have more doubts than before about Stafford.  I didn’t follow the Lions much but we all know they’re a crap organization. But was that his M.O. there?  Overcoming the organizations shortcomings?  Or did all this time wallowing in that crap leave him stained and he’s become an underachiever just like the team?  I fear his ceiling will be what Rivers gave us this year.  And if we play a tougher schedule we could easily fall back to 9-7 or 8-8. 

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

He was a D1 football player.   He grew up in Texas.    I'm guessing he was pretty jacked as a young man.     He lunch money taking ability was probably pretty good.  Assuming he was into that kind of thing

He also looked pretty tough and wanting to punch someone in the nose when they asked if he has the right staff to train a new Qb in his press conference 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

The Chefs moved from 27 to 10 to draft Mahomes for a 1 & 3...we can do plenty in the draft with a 1 & 2

• Like 1
On 1/15/2021 at 11:25 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To follow this up. Moncrief comes to mind as a huge disappointment. I thought he could be a great #2 at least. He was a dud lmao . Campbell I was so excited about but he gets injured too much.

Hes on the Jets practice squad..... the jets.....  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

He has discovered talent alright.  That's why he was drafted No. 3 overall.  I watch Colt's games not Jet's games.  But I have seen plenty of wow moment highlights from him over the last three years on post game highlights.  So he has the talent and the move to a good team with a good OL and a good coach could be a great situation for him.  That's where the Colts come into play.  That said It looks like his new coach is going to keep him and build the team around him.  So I'm expecting they pull a "Ballard" and trade back in the 1st. round.  

A lot of guys have been drafted in the top 5 and do nothing in the NFL. So tell me. What is it that u like about Darnold. Whst have u seen in his 3 years that leads u to believe he will  become a franchise wb with a change of scenery.

21 minutes ago, Riversrun said:

He should beg Rivers to come back period .He should go get a LT replace Ya sin and make a JUJU a huge priority.

Ballard hasn't given up on rock which he made pretty clear in his end of season talk. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

A lot of guys have been drafted in the top 5 and do nothing in the NFL. So tell me. What is it that u like about Darnold. Whst have u seen in his 3 years that leads u to believe he will  become a franchise wb with a change of scenery.

He went 7-6 in 2019 in the 13 games he played, with terrible team around him. That's pretty impressive in mu book.

The biggest thing about him is his $4.7m salary if traded. Cheap low risk, potential high reward, kind of guy.

That salary would allow the Colts to retain depth and add quite a few pieces to the team.

33 minutes ago, w87r said:

He went 7-6 in 2019 in the 13 games he played, with terrible team around him. That's pretty impressive in mu book.

The biggest thing about him is his $4.7m salary if traded. Cheap low risk, potential high reward, kind of guy.

That salary would allow the Colts to retain depth and add quite a few pieces to the team.

Good point bout salary. U never know....the Jets may keep him and trade out.

12 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Good point bout salary. U never know....the Jets may keep him and trade out.

I would trade out if I was the Jets, unless Jags take Fields.

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, w87r said:

I would trade out if I was the Jets, unless Jags take Fields.

Yeah I think that’s what the Jets will do.  Hope someone falls in love with Fields and is wanting to come up to get him.  

even with hiring Meyer I don’t think the Jags pass on Lawrence.  If they do the Jets will run that pick up to podium.  

Jags & Meyer are drafting Lawrence. He's probably why Meyer is coming to NFL. 

If the Jets decide to keep Darnold and trade #2 pick, I hope Ballard  tries to win the bidding war to move up to draft Fields.

Bring back Rivers or acquire a veteran QB for a season and let Fields learn from the sidelines for a year.

13 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Jags & Meyer are drafting Lawrence. He's probably why Meyer is coming to NFL. 

If the Jets decide to keep Darnold and trade #2 pick, I hope Ballard  tries to win the bidding war to move up to draft Fields.

Bring back Rivers or acquire a veteran QB for a season and let Fields learn from the sidelines for a year.

I want nothing to do with Fields.

• Like 1