Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

LT for next year?  

66 members have voted

  1. 1. What do want to do about LT for 2021?

    • Draft 1st Round (post who you want)
    • Draft 2nd Round (post who you want)
    • Draft later round (post who you want)
      0
    • FA pick up (post who)
    • Trade (post who for who)
      0
    • Move Nelson to LT (post who goes to LG)
    • Move Smith to LT (post who goes to RT)

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/15/2021 at 12:25 AM

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Do I need to point this out? We all know how valuable LT's are in the draft. If Quentin Freaking Nelson was LT quality, he would have not been paid a # ton of money to be a guard. He would have been scooped up ASAP as a TACKLE.

 

giphy.gif

 

What....like every team missed this and suddenly he can be just as awesome as a tackle? 

Well Frank said moving him to tackle would be discussed this off-season so the Colts are at least considering it.  Rather they do it or not remains to be seen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMO, don’t move Smith or Nelson.  Seems to me, that compounds the issue.  

I'm in the camp of don't move anyone, but I also believe both Nelson and Smith could do it successfully... And I really want to use the #1 and #2 picks on something else.   I'm so confused.

Uhhhhhhhmmmm, what did every team miss?   How can you be scooped up ASAP as a tackle, when you are the first OL taken in the draft. Did you forget he was taken 6th overall, No OL anything wa

6 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Do I need to point this out? We all know how valuable LT's are in the draft. If Quentin Freaking Nelson was LT quality, he would have not been paid a # ton of money to be a guard. He would have been scooped up ASAP as a TACKLE.

 

giphy.gif

 

What....like every team missed this and suddenly he can be just as awesome as a tackle? 

 

 

Uhhhhhhhmmmm, what did every team miss?

 

How can you be scooped up ASAP as a tackle, when you are the first OL taken in the draft. Did you forget he was taken 6th overall, No OL anything was taken before him.

 

Did you also forget that most teams that spoke to him at the combine asked him if he were willing to play tackle?

 

How about the fact that in college he came in as a LT, with an All Pro LT and 1st rounder already at the position (Stanley), so he started at LG, and then another 1st rounder (McGlentchey) took over LT because they didn't want to move Nelson.

 

And when he got to Indy, the only position on the OL that was already firm, was LT (Castonzo)... So it's not shocking Indy didn't play him there... We had a huge hole at LG and RT.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Given some of the FAs we'll have to pay for in the next couple years, and the holes right now, I'm just not sure they go big in FA. With QB, CB1, and both DEs also an open question (not just this year), we have a lot to cover along with LT. Personally, I'd try to re-sign PR to the same contract, re-sign Houston and Autry (they won't be expensive), and give Rhodes a 2-3 year deal (it will be a raise). If they can do that, then I think they go early (1st or 2nd R) in the draft instead of FA for a LT. I just hope we can bring back some of those guys I mentioned as we basically have holes at our most expensive positions. Regardless, they need to use at least one of the first two picks, if not both, on the more expensive positions. And if they go DE, I just hope they use a 1st. We have enough of the 2R DE experiments. 2R tackles are mush less of a dice roll. CB too.

 

Agreed. I just do not want a OL 1st round.. Even because I think we can still deal that pick to upgrade QB if PR is not back, or we can go to more pressing needs (DE, CB, WR/Catching TE) IMO.

 

I'm not sure also if we go 2nd round on OL he's a instant starter, if he's not, we would be stuck with Holden. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Again you cant pay a LG the same money you pay a LT and not have a shortfall along the way. Nelson was an elite LT in high school his natural position.  With his power,drive,play until the echo of the whistle stops determination he becomes top LT in NFL and LT is the most valuable piece of the O Line...lets put our best player there.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

 

Agreed. I just do not want a OL 1st round.. Even because I think we can still deal that pick to upgrade QB if PR is not back, or we can go to more pressing needs (DE, CB, WR/Catching TE) IMO.

 

I'm not sure also if we go 2nd round on OL he's a instant starter, if he's not, we would be stuck with Holden. 

2ndR tackles are pretty reliable in terms of AV. Pretty low bust rate. And given they'd be next to Nelson, not a big worry for me.

 

I just hope PR is back. Having to solve for a QB and a LT and 2 DEs and a CB is just too much. An extra year of PR makes things a whole lot easier. Not ready for a rebuild year with Eason or a rook from the draft just yet. I'd be OK with a 1st for Stafford, Darnold, or Carr, but I'm not giving up more than one 1st this year. I'd take Fitzmagic or Winston before I'd mortgage things deeper.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Rivers news today changes Ballard’s Left Tackle strategy imo. I think we could sign a veteran left tackle on a 2 year deal and kick the can down the road to give save us draft capital to draft a QB. I know this wouldn’t be ideal as it’s a deep tackle class, but I genuinely could see Ballard giving up a kings ransom to fix the QB position. Therefore we may not have the draft capital to take a LT in the first two rounds this year. There are some decent LTs that may hit the FA like Williams, Okung and Villanueva, that can hold the left side until say the 2023 draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2021 at 3:47 PM, EastStreet said:

 

I'm so confused.

 

DeadEntireAmericanindianhorse-small.gif

 

I'm confused too. What happened to the easy polls without explaining my selection?  This reminds me too much of school, lol.

 

And are we all supposed to know Tackles & Guards names and how good they are? haha

 

Well here goes nothing.... I voted move Nelson to LT and bring back T Leraven Clark to play LG. 

I know this may not be a great football decision but I'm sure they are both offensive linemen, right? :funny:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

I'm confused too. What happened to the easy polls without explaining my selection?  This reminds me too much of school, lol.

 

And are we all supposed to know Tackles & Guards names and how good they are? haha

 

Well here goes nothing.... I voted move Nelson to LT and bring back T Leraven Clark to play LG. 

I know this may not be a great football decision but I'm sure they are both offensive linemen, right? :funny:

You had me till the bring back Clark part :banana:

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2021 at 7:02 AM, EastStreet said:

 

 

Uhhhhhhhmmmm, what did every team miss?

 

How can you be scooped up ASAP as a tackle, when you are the first OL taken in the draft. Did you forget he was taken 6th overall, No OL anything was taken before him.

 

Did you also forget that most teams that spoke to him at the combine asked him if he were willing to play tackle?

 

How about the fact that in college he came in as a LT, with an All Pro LT and 1st rounder already at the position (Stanley), so he started at LG, and then another 1st rounder (McGlentchey) took over LT because they didn't want to move Nelson.

 

And when he got to Indy, the only position on the OL that was already firm, was LT (Castonzo)... So it's not shocking Indy didn't play him there... We had a huge hole at LG and RT.

 

You think Nelson will move over?  Do you think he should?  How good (gut feeling) do you think he'd be there?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Trade Nelson for top LT tackle in the draft. Then draft a guard later in the draft to replace Nelson. There, problem solved.

Obviously not gonna happen.   Keep trying though

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2021 at 10:03 AM, Nickster said:

 

You think Nelson will move over?  Do you think he should?  How good (gut feeling) do you think he'd be there?

Personally I hope he stays put. I do think it's an option the team has to consider seriously though (at least for one year) given all the holes we have. My gut says he'd be very good (high 70s or low 80s), but not great (high 80s to 90ish). He's a freak, so I think he could pull it off. I do think his best position is at guard though. I also think Smith's best position is guard, but he's worked out very well at T. To me, comes down to how other pieces fall (DEx2, QB, CB, etc), and what you value more, elite LG or good-to-great LT.

 

If I had to bet, they go with 2nd or 3rd round OT in the draft, or medium priced FA and leave Q where he is. AC didn't play great this year, but it went unnoticed by most simply because Q was next to him making his job a whole lot easier. Nothing would surprise me though. Perfect situation for me, leave Q, Smith successfully moves to LT, and we plug RT with a 2nd or 3rd draft pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Smith moved to LG and we slid Q to LT no team would stand a chance vs that side of the line either vs run or pass. We could have Will Holden (Unless J.V. wants to return after his stint with Green Bay is through) at RT to team with Glow while Pitner and Joey Hunt backup interior. Hope O'Donnell develops to be a serviceable backup, draft an athletic big body would allow us to Draft and elite pass rusher or shut down corner first round (Unless we trade 1st pick for Stafford)......Smith and Q together makes me super excited, cant deny.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Liam Eichenberg is a day 1 starter at LT. His technique is really refined, even though he lacks elite athleticism. 
 

I also really like Radunz, but I’m not as sure about how good he could be immediately. Definitely an option in the 2nd round.

 

I think moving Nelson to LT is a horrible idea.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think Liam Eichenberg is a day 1 starter at LT. His technique is really refined, even though he lacks elite athleticism. 
 

I also really like Radunz, but I’m not as sure about how good he could be immediately. Definitely an option in the 2nd round.

 

I think moving Nelson to LT is a horrible idea.

Then why isn't Eichenberg projected to be a 1st rd pick?  If he has I missed it.  It's a premium position.  The best LT's are drafted early.  Could it be you have a little bias because he went to ND?  I just have not seem him rated that high.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Then why isn't Eichenberg projected to be a 1st rd pick?  If he has I missed it.  It's a premium position.  The best LT's are drafted early.  Could it be you have a little bias because he went to ND?  I just have not seem him rated that high.  

I'm biased because he's from ND, but I have a different take. I think he'll be a 2nd round guy, maybe even 3rd, but I could see him starting at LT early for us. Not because I think he's elite, but because he's steady/polished, and most important, Q would be next to him. He'd likely be a little step down from AC to start with, but let's be honest, AC wasn't playing all that well this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Then why isn't Eichenberg projected to be a 1st rd pick?  If he has I missed it.  It's a premium position.  The best LT's are drafted early.  Could it be you have a little bias because he went to ND?  I just have not seem him rated that high.  

The draft analysts I follow (Move the Sticks with Bucky and DJ, Draft Dudes, and B/R) all routinely have him going in the first round. I think once Zerlein from NFL.com starts getting his draft reports out you’ll see the same thing. It’s CBS sports who seems to have him ranked really low.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The draft analysts I follow (Move the Sticks with Bucky and DJ, Draft Dudes, and B/R) all routinely have him going in the first round. I think once Zerlein from NFL.com starts getting his draft reports out you’ll see the same thing. It’s CBS sports who seems to have him ranked really low.

I've seen him all over the place lately. At first, it was mostly late 1st or early 2nd, now several big boards have him later. PFF has him mid 2nd. PFN 4th. Walter 1-3 (7th best T). Drafttek, 3rd.

 

Like I said, I'm a ND homer, and I love Liam, but I don't think he's worth a 1st. I'd be happy to get him in the 2nd. Pleased as punch to get him 3rd.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I've seen him all over the place lately. At first, it was mostly late 1st or early 2nd, now several big boards have him later. PFF has him mid 2nd. PFN 4th. Walter 1-3 (7th best T). Drafttek, 3rd.

 

Like I said, I'm a ND homer, and I love Liam, but I don't think he's worth a 1st. I'd be happy to get him in the 2nd. Pleased as punch to get him 3rd.

Based off of what you’ve seen from him do you think Dillon Radunz is better?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Based off of what you’ve seen from him do you think Dillon Radunz is better?

He, like Lance, is just really hard to figure coming from a small a FCS school.

I'd go with Liam to be honest. If we miss on him, Radunz is pretty high on my list for post-1R Ts.

So many moving parts and holes right now, just really hard to figure how they plug things, and what they use the draft picks for.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 11:29 AM, holeymoley99 said:

If Smith moved to LG and we slid Q to LT no team would stand a chance vs that side of the line either vs run or pass. We could have Will Holden (Unless J.V. wants to return after his stint with Green Bay is through) at RT to team with Glow while Pitner and Joey Hunt backup interior. Hope O'Donnell develops to be a serviceable backup, draft an athletic big body would allow us to Draft and elite pass rusher or shut down corner first round (Unless we trade 1st pick for Stafford)......Smith and Q together makes me super excited, cant deny.


Nelson’s biggest strength is literally his strength. Because of it, he is able to neutralize the biggest strongest players on the opposing defense (DTs and NTs weighing as much as 350)

 

I can see where people are coming from at the idea of paying a G as much as a LT, but I think it’s best to leave Q at LG and let him keep doing what he’s been doing since day one.

 

If it ain’t broke...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2021 at 12:05 PM, richard pallo said:

Then why isn't Eichenberg projected to be a 1st rd pick?  If he has I missed it.  It's a premium position.  The best LT's are drafted early.  Could it be you have a little bias because he went to ND?  I just have not seem him rated that high.  

I've seen him listed in the third round for months. I don't have a problem with finding a starter in the second or third round.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I've seen him listed in the third round for months. I don't have a problem with finding a starter in the second or third round.

I don't either but the top rated LT's go very early in the draft for a reason.  It's a premium position.  That's where you're likely to find a day one starter at LT.  In the 1st rd.  Easier to find a starting G in the 2nd and 3rd.  I think the odds get longer in the 2nd and 3rd rd for an immediate starter at LT. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

They're gonna draft it I think.  They have nice options there.

 

What screws that up or might screw it up is if something's afoot at QB or if one they really likes slides, etc.  They could like Eason just fine but let's say Lance slides a bit then all of a sudden depending on what they think of him that may affect things.

 

And same goes for any special player they may have circled a couple times on their board.

 

Lastly I think this draft is going to be crazy and wide open what with all the extra deviation you'll have on team boards.  There will be consensus guys but probably more of those wildcard types due to access, COVID, less tape, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I don't either but the top rated LT's go very early in the draft for a reason.  It's a premium position.  That's where you're likely to find a day one starter at LT.  In the 1st rd.  Easier to find a starting G in the 2nd and 3rd.  I think the odds get longer in the 2nd and 3rd rd for an immediate starter at LT. 

Drafting him in the first round won't make him any better. I hope we can get him in the second or third. He doesn't have to be another Nelson. i will take another Smith.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DougDew said:

Alex Leatherwood at #21.

I drive for a living, so as i worked Saturday, I listened to the NFL Channel broadcast of the Senior Bowl.  One announcer was Daniel Jerimiah, NFL Scout.  He criticized Leatherwood quite a bit. Said he really needs a lot of improvement and won't go in the first round.

 

Jerimiah said the two people that impressed him most last week were QB Mac Jones, who was the most accurate of all the QBs (in spite of turning his ankle and not playing in the game)- and North Dakota State LT Dillon Radunz. He said Radunz completely Dominated every single lineman he faced in all schemes, all week long. He pancaked several while run-blocking.  But Radunz is also expected to be drafted in the top 15 picks. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:


Nelson’s biggest strength is literally his strength. Because of it, he is able to neutralize the biggest strongest players on the opposing defense (DTs and NTs weighing as much as 350)

 

I can see where people are coming from at the idea of paying a G as much as a LT, but I think it’s best to leave Q at LG and let him keep doing what he’s been doing since day one.

 

If it ain’t broke...

Its a good problem to have obviously, elite talent natural Tackle that then excelled when moved to Guard and he can help the Guard if moved to Tackle like he helped A.C. from the Guard spot. It comes down to can we find a LT in round 2 who can start or better off getting  Guard (1st round pick likely goes in trade for a QB or is used on edge rusher).  Also if for some reason Q cant handle LT you can always move him back and place someone at LT like Holden.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Orlando Brown is available from the Ravens as he tweeted he is a left tackle. He has one year remaining. His days in Baltimore are most certainly numbered as injured left tackle Ronnie Stanley is back, and signed long term. 
Decosta will get maximum value, as I’ve heard Dallas, the Rams and Chargers are already interested. 
He’s been mainly a RT. Not sure if you get a 1 for him, but discussions have been for a #2, #4, and a #6 the following year. I guess it all comes down to who needs a LT the most. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2021 at 5:53 PM, holeymoley99 said:

Its a good problem to have obviously, elite talent natural Tackle that then excelled when moved to Guard and he can help the Guard if moved to Tackle like he helped A.C. from the Guard spot. It comes down to can we find a LT in round 2 who can start or better off getting  Guard (1st round pick likely goes in trade for a QB or is used on edge rusher).  Also if for some reason Q cant handle LT you can always move him back and place someone at LT like Holden.

Holden impressed me in the game be played for the Colts (and got hurt).  Is he still on the Colts roster or did that expire?  Is he hurt long term? He's not the long term answer, but could definitely play next to Q until a long term LT can be developed, IMO. Saves $$$$ toward the cap, and a new QB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...