Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

LT for next year?  

66 members have voted

  1. 1. What do want to do about LT for 2021?

    • Draft 1st Round (post who you want)
    • Draft 2nd Round (post who you want)
    • Draft later round (post who you want)
      0
    • FA pick up (post who)
    • Trade (post who for who)
      0
    • Move Nelson to LT (post who goes to LG)
    • Move Smith to LT (post who goes to RT)

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 03/15/2021 at 12:25 AM

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

There are just so many possibilities. Not sure if we need a super stud LT with a super stud Nelson at LG. IMO, he made AC's job much much easier. I also think Smith would do more than fine next to Nelson. If that worked, then you could take a 2nd or 3rd rounder for RT.

Exactly there’s a lot of ways they can go right now

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMO, don’t move Smith or Nelson.  Seems to me, that compounds the issue.  

I'm in the camp of don't move anyone, but I also believe both Nelson and Smith could do it successfully... And I really want to use the #1 and #2 picks on something else.   I'm so confused.

Uhhhhhhhmmmm, what did every team miss?   How can you be scooped up ASAP as a tackle, when you are the first OL taken in the draft. Did you forget he was taken 6th overall, No OL anything wa

Presuming the Colts extend Smith and eventually Nelson (after a 5th year option), they will have 3 very highly paid pieces on the OL.  It will be difficult to have a highly paid LT on the line with those three once they are extended.  That's why I think the draft is the way to go.  Have the LT on a rookie contract for 4 (or 5 years).  By then, maybe Kelly (or Smith) peels off and the a highly paid LT new fits in as the new 3rd highly paid piece on the OL.

 

Given the importance of the position the pick should be 1st or 2nd round depending on the value on the board at the time.  I could also see another OT pick still in the 3rd-5th round in the draft for depth and competition. Colts are very thin at OT.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not knowledgeable on the best college players, but I think you need pass rusher in the 1st and an OT in the second. You couldn't want a better player next to you than Nelson. 

 

All this really hinges on who the QB of 2021 is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DiogoSales said:

Trent Willians by FA

I like TW, but he's going to get a massive deal from the 49ers, and Ballard won't get in that bidding war. I know SF doesn't have a ton of cap, but they'll find a way. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

I think Villanueva would be a good fit here

I'd take him on a 2 year deal, so long as it's not crazy. He's not a top 10 OT. IMO, neither is/was AC this year. He'd fit in though fine next to Nelson. Only question is, how much does he want. Indy has to attractive to guys like him. Dome team, and playing next to an All Pro that makes any LT's job a ton easier.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Move Q to LT sign Thuney in FA to replace him. 

 

I'm very much against moving Nelson to LT. I think he's capable of playing there, but his athleticism is a bug part of what makes him such a great guard. His mobility and agility is a massive plus at guard, but he'd be a fairly average athlete at tackle. The way I see it, we can have an average tackle and an average guard, or an average tackle and superstar guard.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I like TW, but he's going to get a massive deal from the 49ers, and Ballard won't get in that bidding war. I know SF doesn't have a ton of cap, but they'll find a way. 

Niners do not have space and like us they draft well and have a ton of picks to be paid 1-3 years from nos, I think TW slides.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, yankeeclipper said:

Draft Tackle in Round 2 - hopefully get a QB in round 1 or shutdown CB or EDGE rusher. I would also sign FA tackle - for depth and perhaps to hold the LT spot while a drafted tackle learns the system.

I hope Rivers comes back, Eason is the backup, we draft a LT in Round 1, Pass Rusher in Round 2, I would go CB in Round 3. I would also re-sign TY Hilton to a nice/big 1 year deal and see how it pans out. We went 11-5  and played Buffalo even at Buffalo, so I wouldn't fix what isn't broken too much.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You move Nelson to LT where he was All American as a high schooler, he can play either spot at a high level and you have to pay him at either spot. Makes much more sense to spend it on LT than LG because if not you have to spend a lot on Free Agent if you dont want growing pains (Smith cant play LT ).   You than try and get Veldheer to return and back up both Tackle spots, he wont cost much and he wont have the weekly grind which saves his body (Thats why he only plays late in seasons the last 2 years).  

 

You insert Danny Pinter at LG where his still lack of upper body power doesnt hurt nearly as bad. The kid is a starter and keeper he will grow with Q by his side.

 

Draft some able replacements, make sure Clark and Green never get close to the field again. Hope O'Donnell develops enough to add something down the road.  Keep Joey Hunt.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, holeymoley99 said:

You move Nelson to LT where he was All American as a high schooler, he can play either spot at a high level and you have to pay him at either spot. Makes much more sense to spend it on LT than LG because if not you have to spend a lot on Free Agent if you dont want growing pains (Smith cant play LT ).   You than try and get Veldheer to return and back up both Tackle spots, he wont cost much and he wont have the weekly grind which saves his body (Thats why he only plays late in seasons the last 2 years).  

 

You insert Danny Pinter at LG where his still lack of upper body power doesnt hurt nearly as bad. The kid is a starter and keeper he will grow with Q by his side.

 

Draft some able replacements, make sure Clark and Green never get close to the field again. Hope O'Donnell develops enough to add something down the road.  Keep Joey Hunt.

If you do what is suggested which is reasonable, then I am taking a Pass Rusher in Round 1.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'd take him on a 2 year deal, so long as it's not crazy. He's not a top 10 OT. IMO, neither is/was AC this year. He'd fit in though fine next to Nelson. Only question is, how much does he want. Indy has to attractive to guys like him. Dome team, and playing next to an All Pro that makes any LT's job a ton easier.

is the FA left tackle from Jacksonville Cam Robinson worth a look? Former 2nd round guy, 25 yrs old, maybe not insanely expensive

 

I could probably get on board with Villanueva on a 1- or 2-yr deal as well

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2021 at 7:51 AM, holeymoley99 said:

You move Nelson to LT where he was All American as a high schooler, he can play either spot at a high level and you have to pay him at either spot. Makes much more sense to spend it on LT than LG because if not you have to spend a lot on Free Agent if you dont want growing pains (Smith cant play LT ).   You than try and get Veldheer to return and back up both Tackle spots, he wont cost much and he wont have the weekly grind which saves his body (Thats why he only plays late in seasons the last 2 years).  

 

You insert Danny Pinter at LG where his still lack of upper body power doesnt hurt nearly as bad. The kid is a starter and keeper he will grow with Q by his side.

 

Draft some able replacements, make sure Clark and Green never get close to the field again. Hope O'Donnell develops enough to add something down the road.  Keep Joey Hunt.

I agree, moving out would allow us to sign a cheap serviceable linemen to fill the gaps this year. We need to sign CB Mike Hilton and Xavier Rhodes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Way too early to know.  
 

 I mean I could say I want a free agent but we don’t know whose going to be available or what the price tag would be.  With the draft they haven’t had to the combine or whatever the Combine will be this year to really give you an idea of where guys will be drafted.  
 

just too many variables.  
 

what I do know is that Ballard will address it.  So for now that’s good enough for me.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2021 at 5:57 AM, DiogoSales said:

Niners do not have space and like us they draft well and have a ton of picks to be paid 1-3 years from nos, I think TW slides.

Yeah, IDK. All the predictions I've seen the last week or so has him coming back.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2021 at 10:47 PM, poilucelt said:

is the FA left tackle from Jacksonville Cam Robinson worth a look? Former 2nd round guy, 25 yrs old, maybe not insanely expensive

 

I could probably get on board with Villanueva on a 1- or 2-yr deal as well

Robinson is interesting. Not great, but not horrible PFF grades. Still young. Not sure of the jag's blocking screen, but I'd bet his PFF grades would take an instance 5pt increase just playing next to Q. He's also a guy they could try at RT if they are considering moving Smith to LT.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

Villanueva would be my second option, but TW is better, hope it happens.

Given some of the FAs we'll have to pay for in the next couple years, and the holes right now, I'm just not sure they go big in FA. With QB, CB1, and both DEs also an open question (not just this year), we have a lot to cover along with LT. Personally, I'd try to re-sign PR to the same contract, re-sign Houston and Autry (they won't be expensive), and give Rhodes a 2-3 year deal (it will be a raise). If they can do that, then I think they go early (1st or 2nd R) in the draft instead of FA for a LT. I just hope we can bring back some of those guys I mentioned as we basically have holes at our most expensive positions. Regardless, they need to use at least one of the first two picks, if not both, on the more expensive positions. And if they go DE, I just hope they use a 1st. We have enough of the 2R DE experiments. 2R tackles are mush less of a dice roll. CB too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I still lean towards Liam Eichenberg.  Even though peeps like @NewColtsFan are warning me off of him.  And rightly so!  Been watching video of him.  Nothing really bad to see, but nothing amazing either.  I'll keep naming him until the Colts choose someone else.  :D 

Actually, I don’t mean to warn you off him.  Honestly.   I just think it’s too early in the process to know just how good the kid is. 
 

Is Eichenberg a first round quality kid?  2nd round?  3rd round?  I don’t know. 

 

Is he a left tackle or right tackle?    I don’t know.    
 

I think it’s too early to know...   appreciate the shoutout!   :thmup:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t give Q first shot at the job. He’s incredibly talented; he’s going to be paid like a LT anyway, and if it works, you don’t have to waste a top pick or pay a top FA. And if I read AC’s outgoing comments correctly, he thinks Q is up to the job. I’m not suggesting you don’t continue to add talent to the Oline. Just suggesting the new LT is already on the team. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t give Q first shot at the job. He’s incredibly talented; he’s going to be paid like a LT anyway, and if it works, you don’t have to waste a top pick or pay a top FA. And if I read AC’s outgoing comments correctly, he thinks Q is up to the job. I’m not suggesting you don’t continue to add talent to the Oline. Just suggesting the new LT is already on the team. 

 

It's going to be interesting. So many options. I think Q or Smith might be able to make the move. Regardless, would still need to plug a hole, and still need to work on depth. 

 

Like I said in another post, we have a lot of holes all over on both sides of the ball, so I'm sure all options are being explored. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do I need to point this out? We all know how valuable LT's are in the draft. If Quentin Freaking Nelson was LT quality, he would have not been paid a # ton of money to be a guard. He would have been scooped up ASAP as a TACKLE.

 

giphy.gif

 

What....like every team missed this and suddenly he can be just as awesome as a tackle? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...