Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

LT for next year?


EastStreet
 Share

LT for next year?  

66 members have voted

  1. 1. What do want to do about LT for 2021?

    • Draft 1st Round (post who you want)
    • Draft 2nd Round (post who you want)
    • Draft later round (post who you want)
      0
    • FA pick up (post who)
    • Trade (post who for who)
      0
    • Move Nelson to LT (post who goes to LG)
    • Move Smith to LT (post who goes to RT)

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/15/2021 at 12:25 AM

Recommended Posts

Not sure what to think here. AC retiring sure does make the need crystal clear.

 

So, what do you want, or what do you predict?

 

1. Draft. And if so, 1st or 2nd round? Later? and who?

2. FA pick up? And if so, who?

3. Trade? Who for who?

4. Move Nelson out to LT? And then who to LG?

5. Move Smith from RT to LT, and then what do you do at RT?

 

Any other options?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I lean towards drafting one early. I voted for round 2 because I think this tackle class is supposed to be pretty good with depth. If I had to pick someone I would say Dillon Radunz but I can't say i'm really sold on one particular tackle.

 

I'd keep Nelson and Smith where they are. While maybe one of them can make the switch we know for sure they are great at their current positions. We saw too few snaps with Nelson at LT for me to vote for him in this poll.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

IMO, don’t move Smith or Nelson.  Seems to me, that compounds the issue.  

I'm in the camp of don't move anyone, but I also believe both Nelson and Smith could do it successfully... And I really want to use the #1 and #2 picks on something else.

 

I'm so confused.

 

DeadEntireAmericanindianhorse-small.gif

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ar7 said:

I lean towards drafting one early. I voted for round 2 because I think this tackle class is supposed to be pretty good with depth. If I had to pick someone I would say Dillon Radunz but I can't say i'm really sold on one particular tackle.

 

I'd keep Nelson and Smith where they are. While maybe one of them can make the switch we know for sure they are great at their current positions. We saw too few snaps with Nelson at LT for me to vote for him in this poll.

I'm intrigued about DR too, but the small school things scares me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t have a name but I believe tackles are the most realiable to draft and most teams know it and the good ones go early so I said round one

 

however. It isn’t uncommon to have the tackle start their first year at guard like Tarik Glenn did so I’m not opposed to drafting one and having Nelson be the lt until the rookie matures 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I don’t have a name but I believe tackles are the most realiable to draft and most teams know it and the good ones go early so I said round one

 

however. It isn’t uncommon to have the tackle start their first year at guard like Tarik Glenn did so I’m not opposed to drafting one and having Nelson be the lt until the rookie matures 

David Bakhtari is another good example. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I don’t have a name but I believe tackles are the most realiable to draft and most teams know it and the good ones go early so I said round one

 

however. It isn’t uncommon to have the tackle start their first year at guard like Tarik Glenn did so I’m not opposed to drafting one and having Nelson be the lt until the rookie matures 

you might find this interesting

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2441018-which-positions-are-the-safest-riskiest-at-the-top-of-the-nfl-draft

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I’ll have to read that more thoroughly later but I definitely don’t want another safety!  Lol.  
I’d hope for a pro bowler or all pro but really just want a starter for now so I like the low 20% bust rate for tackles 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Very interesting. So Bust rates among first-round picks for OT is only 19%. I will take that. 

low bust rate, but average PB/AP rate.

 

here's another you might like. this one may make you want to wait till the 2nd round :-)

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/are-some-positions-riskier-to-pick-than-others-in-the-nfl-draft/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

So an OT in the first round.

 

Then we only need a QB, a productive edge rusher and a top CB. No worries, luckily those three are not premium positions so we will easily sort that out! haha

It always baffles me that the nfl can’t find 32 people in the entire US that can throw a ball.  (This is somewhat tongue in cheek). 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well this season proved that OT depth is needed anyways. So I would sign a proven OT in FA...and then look to draft a high upside prospect to develop...who can at least provide depth about T positions.

 

But I think they can fill LT this offseason without using their most valuable asset.

 

At some point...they have to find good value for the OL...you can't just outspend (in cap and the draft) everyone.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

low bust rate, but average PB/AP rate.

 

here's another you might like. this one may make you want to wait till the 2nd round :-)

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/are-some-positions-riskier-to-pick-than-others-in-the-nfl-draft/

I bet that is skewed a bit because top guards are usually taken later because of position value and that chart was linemen combined. still valid points!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I bet that is skewed a bit because top guards are usually taken later because of position value and that chart was linemen combined. still valid points!

Yup, I'm sure there is a G skew in the 2nd, but you have to admit, the AV for OL in the first 5 rounds is pretty stellar. Best 4th round AV by far. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, I'm sure there is a G skew in the 2nd, but you have to admit, the AV for OL in the first 5 rounds is pretty stellar. Best 4th round AV by far. 

I do. And it’s a bit surprising.  I follow the draft and LT seems to be such a premium that the real good ones go early but I’ve been wrong before!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I do. And it’s a bit surprising.  I follow the draft and LT seems to be such a premium that the real good ones go early but I’ve been wrong before!

LTs typically do, but there is value to be found. It's why I wasn't so shocked Smith turned out good. He was an SEC awarded guy. It's why I'd normally never take a G in the 1st. I'm a ND homer, so was happy with Nelson, but his contract is going to suck.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ideally we would be able to draft our future LT, idk who because I haven't looked at the depth of the position in this years draft, but if it comes to us and all the good ones are gone. I could also see us draft a Guard and move Nelson to LT. Basically I see a high pick on an offensive lineman just don't know at what position, its just to early to make any decisions right now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Ideally we would be able to draft our future LT, idk who because I haven't looked at the depth of the position in this years draft, but if it comes to us and all the good ones are gone. I could also see us draft a Guard and move Nelson to LT. Basically I see a high pick on an offensive lineman just don't know at what position, its just to early to make any decisions right now.

There are just so many possibilities. Not sure if we need a super stud LT with a super stud Nelson at LG. IMO, he made AC's job much much easier. I also think Smith would do more than fine next to Nelson. If that worked, then you could take a 2nd or 3rd rounder for RT.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would like to see us draft say Alaric Jackson from Iowa. He is a 4 yr starting LT for Iowa which perennially produce good OL. He may have to be moved inside but I would move Nelson to LT and pick up Jackson in the 3rd. He is 6'6" and checks in at 320. I think we use the 1st and 2nd on more needy positions such as Edge in !st and CB in 2nd. We trade for either Darnold, Stafford or Wentz with future draft choices or either resign Rivers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I would like to see us draft say Alaric Jackson from Iowa. He is a 4 yr starting LT for Iowa which perennially produce good OL. He may have to be moved inside but I would move Nelson to LT and pick up Jackson in the 3rd. He is 6'6" and checks in at 320. I think we use the 1st and 2nd on more needy positions such as Edge in !st and CB in 2nd. We trade for either Darnold, Stafford or Wentz with future draft choices or either resign Rivers.

There's a few guys at OT I think will go late 2nd to late 3rd I'd be willing to take a shot at. I'd resign Rivers. Not really in love with any DEs, but I haven't dug in yet either. I'm open to trading the 1st for two 2nds, or perhaps a 2nd and early 3rd. Then with 3ish second round picks, I'd grab an OT, WR, and CB. The only guy I really like in the first (as far as our needs are concerned) is JOK at LB. He and Leonard together would be the best LB duo in the league. Our blitzing (if we ever would) would be outstanding too, not to mention a huge upgrade in pass coverage. I'd resign Autry and Houston, as I don't think they'll be looking for raises and performed well last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, pacolts56 said:

Trade down to the top of the 2nd round and take Eichenberg outta ND.

I've seen some big boards that have projected him in the 3rd, and even one as late as the 4th. I'd take him in the 3rd no doubt. I'm just not sure our zone scheme is a good fit for him (power/gap and better run blocking than pass blocking). I might take him, put him at RT, and slide Smith over. He's been very solid, but I'm an ND homer, and I've never been wowed by him. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Draft the best player, if its an OT then that means they are probably ready to start.  If we dont find a worthy tackle in the draft, move Nelson there for now and Pinter to LG.

 

I think Q gives us some flexibility, they should certainly look for tackles but dont absolutely have to bring in a starter 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

He signed with GB. I have a feeling he will sit the season and try to be a playoff fill in. Hes after quick maney and ring.

He's really a RT anyways. He's been in and out way to much for me to think about him long term. If he wanted to commit for a year at a decent price, I'd let him play RT and slide Smith over.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

There's a few guys at OT I think will go late 2nd to late 3rd I'd be willing to take a shot at. I'd resign Rivers. Not really in love with any DEs, but I haven't dug in yet either. I'm open to trading the 1st for two 2nds, or perhaps a 2nd and early 3rd. Then with 3ish second round picks, I'd grab an OT, WR, and CB. The only guy I really like in the first (as far as our needs are concerned) is JOK at LB. He and Leonard together would be the best LB duo in the league. Our blitzing (if we ever would) would be outstanding too, not to mention a huge upgrade in pass coverage. I'd resign Autry and Houston, as I don't think they'll be looking for raises and performed well last year.

Good points Easy. I think you are right about DEs The 2 from Miami are good but don't know if either is a sure thing in the first. I meant to also mention there may be some good FA OL available also. LT is an extremely important position but I feel we can shore it up and don't feel it is one of our greatest needs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm starting to warm to the idea of moving Smith over to LT on long term basis, however I think on the short term we could compensate better at filling LG better than RT but again it may depend on FA. That's why we need to retain Dodd and Brown. CB needs them now thru FA and the draft.:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure what to think here. AC retiring sure does make the need crystal clear.

 

So, what do you want, or what do you predict?

 

1. Draft. And if so, 1st or 2nd round? Later? and who?

2. FA pick up? And if so, who?

3. Trade? Who for who?

4. Move Nelson out to LT? And then who to LG?

5. Move Smith from RT to LT, and then what do you do at RT?

 

Any other options?

Trent Willians by FA

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't really looked at the tackle prospects too closely yet, but I would be content with either Eichenberg, Darrisaw, or Radunz. I would take Darrisaw in the first or Eichenberg/Radunz in the second.    

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...