Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Watson to Colts possibility???

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

This is fantasy that will not happen. But what is funny is that you think (or echo) the idea that it will only take three # 1s. That is not even close to the compensation it would take to pry him out of Houston. 

that is just to get the conversation going.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

What would covid have to do with it?

nothing, just saying its a screwball time in history so never know

18 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I disagree. He might be worth one first round and some additional latter round picks but no way would I give up three #1s. He hasn't done enough to warrant such a price.

Historically, most of these kinds of “sell the farm for that guy!” trades have turned out better for the party that ended up with the farm.

I still marvel at the Vikings/Cowboys trade that brought Herschel Walker to Minnesota.  The Cowboys went from the worst team in football to a 3-time Super Bowl winner largely on the back of the draft picks they swindled out of Minnesota.  As I recall, the Cowboys had the option to keep certain named players or exchange them for draft picks...and they cut every one of those players.

Anyway, this is all a moot discussion.  The Colts and Titans are the last teams the Texans would agree to trade Watson to.  They know we need a QB and they’re not going to solve that problem for us...unless, I guess, they figure they could decimate the rest of our roster badly enough that it wouldn’t matter.  And Ballard isn’t that stupid.

13 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Yeah we know its unlikely,  but if Ballard is truly great he should pull a David Copperfield move on the troubled Texans.

Make it happen Ballard, make it happen. :thanks:

https://www.totalprosports.com/2021/01/12/trade-assets-laid-out-in-potential-deshaun-watson-to-colts-blockbuster-trade/

haha

Hadn't you heard LJ?  O Brien was fired earlier this season.

14 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

agree to disagree  

Ask 100 people who they would rather have.    The overwhelming majority would take Mahomes.   It's not to say watson isn't very good though

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What if we gave them 3 1st round picks in =2021, 2022, and 2023 and threw in Eason? Tempting right? Most would say Ballard would never do that but he would still have picks 2-7 in all those years + a franchise QB.

With our luck, say we did that trade, Watson would get hurt the first year here..... JUST SAYING.....

Houston Chronicle reports that Watson won’t ask for a trade, but does want an apology from the team.

I’d say that probably ends it.  I’ve always thought it was really unlikely that Watson would ultimately end up anywhere else.

Link

* On second read, this looks more like an opinion piece than a report on Watson’s actual words.

11 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

The only way Watson ended up in a Colts uniform, would be if we traded Big Q for him and gave the rights to Andrew Luck to them in the trade.

And then what? Luck and Big Q would tear us apart like butter in the sun.

Luck isn't coming back.  So that would be a great trade for us

11 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

The only way Watson ended up in a Colts uniform, would be if we traded Big Q for him and gave the rights to Andrew Luck to them in the trade.

And then what? Luck and Big Q would tear us apart like butter in the sun.

I have Irsay on the line for you "Luck is not coming back, let it go man!!!". :) 

5 hours ago, Nickster said:

Hadn't you heard LJ?  O Brien was fired earlier this season.

Yeah I heard. 

But for decades Dysfunctional organizations fire coaches,gm's, etc and still make bad hires and get rid of players they shouldn't.  Just a few teams that come to mind are Lions, Brownies prior to this year, jets, etc...

The Texans dominated our division of late but maybe the Football Gods have decided they will be Dysfunctional too for the unforeseeable future. 

But I don't expect Ballard to trade for Watson if he's even traded at all. We're not a team that I expect to pull that off. 

I think their new GM is from the Patriots??

Wouldn't it be nice if he's playing for Belichek next season? haha

9 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Ask 100 people who they would rather have.    The overwhelming majority would take Mahomes.   It's not to say watson isn't very good though

I think Mahomes is in the far better situation. And if the teams were swapped this statement would apply to Watson. Look at their numbers..

6 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Yeah I heard. 

But for decades Dysfunctional organizations fire coaches,gm's, etc and still make bad hires and get rid of players they shouldn't.  Just a few teams that come to mind are Lions, Brownies prior to this year, jets, etc...

The Texans dominated our division of late but maybe the Football Gods have decided they will be Dysfunctional too for the unforeseeable future. 

But I don't expect Ballard to trade for Watson if he's even traded at all. We're not a team that I expect to pull that off. 

I think their new GM is from the Patriots??

Wouldn't it be nice if he's playing for Belichek next season? haha

If he does is it will cost 3 1st a 2nd and a 3rd plus a player or another pick from the rumor mill

• Thanks 1

I think we could officially kick the Texans out the league due to incompetence if they trade Watson within the division, and after some of the decision that have already been made over the years,

Three 1st rounders for Watson would be the absolute steal of a lifetime for a franchise QB on a team that is built the way the Colts are.

If we had Watson on this team, i'd be surprised if we DIDNT make it to the Superbowl sometime in the next 3 years. Besides, the way Ballard drafts, even without 1st rounders he would draft as well as other GMs (if he keeps up his current trend).

I'd go as high as 4 first rounders and maybe even one or two 2nds in there. A Franchise QB like Watson (a proven talent) is not so easy to come by. Draft picks are always a crapshoot anyways, Give me Deforest Buckner over some random kid we never seen in the NFL.... Give me Watson over 3 or 4 potential first round rookie QBs (we wont ever have the #1 pick.... at least not any time soon).

• Like 2

It's starting to look like Watson wants out of Houston and the Texans might feel the need to move him after all.  If I'm the Texans the only way I would be tempted to trade him to us would be if we included a star pro bowler on our roster as part of the package.  That player being Leonard.  Adding Leonard would help with the justification to trade inside the division as they would get an immediate impact playmaker to help them in the rebuild and weaken us in their minds.  We give up a 1st and 2nd this year and a 1st next year and maybe a another mid rounder next year and it has a chance of happening I believe.  If they want a boatload of picks they would go elsewhere of course.  That would make FA a little bit more important for us but we have the cap to do it.  I do think one star player included in a trade for another star player helps with the justification.  A real long shot but it's fun to think about the possibilities.  

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

It's starting to look like Watson wants out of Houston and the Texans might feel the need to move him after all.  If I'm the Texans the only way I would be tempted to trade him to us would be if we included a star pro bowler on our roster as part of the package.  That player being Leonard.  Adding Leonard would help with the justification to trade inside the division as they would get an immediate impact playmaker to help them in the rebuild and weaken us in their minds.  We give up a 1st and 2nd this year and a 1st next year and maybe a another mid rounder next year and it has a chance of happening I believe.  If they want a boatload of picks they would go elsewhere of course.  That would make FA a little bit more important for us but we have the cap to do it.  I do think one star player included in a trade for another star player helps with the justification.  A real long shot but it's fun to think about the possibilities.  

I'm fine trading Leonard in the deal. I know the D will take a hit but the QB position will be set for 10+ years

On 1/13/2021 at 8:01 AM, csmopar said:

i dont think it will either. But never know.

I could say with 100% certainty it wont. Firstly, I dont think the Colts even have the cap space. Secondly, the Texans and Colts play in same division. Thirdly and most importantly. The Colts dont have the draft capital. Deshaun kind of put himself in a tight corner. He wants out and probably wants to go to a good team. The Texans will want a high pick back so that they can possibly get their qb of the future. All the teams who have a high picks r usually bad teams and rebuilding.  Honestly, the team I c making a play is the Phins. They sèem to be trending up and have lots of draft capital. The Jets could b in play but r in a rebuild. 

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

I could say with 100% certainty it wont. Firstly, I dont think the Colts even have the cap space. Secondly, the Texans and Colts play in same division. Thirdly and most importantly. The Colts dont have the draft capital. Deshaun kind of put himself in a tight corner. He wants out and probably wants to go to a good team. The Texans will want a high pick back so that they can possibly get their qb of the future. All the teams who have a high picks r usually bad teams and rebuilding.  Honestly, the team I c making a play is the Phins. They sèem to be trending up and have lots of draft capital. The Jets could b in play but r in a rebuild. 

I could see the Phins doing it. I could also see the Raiders doing a QB swap and some picks too.

like I said, I don’t think it’ll happen. But stranger things have happened before too. So who knows 

On 1/16/2021 at 10:22 AM, richard pallo said:

Colts dont have draft capital. Hard to trade a guy like Leonard as he will soon demand big contract

Just now, csmopar said:

I could see the Phins doing it. I could also see the Raiders doing a QB swap and some picks too.

like I said, I don’t think it’ll happen. But stranger things have happened before too. So who knows 

The only thing is Casserio. I think if Watson becomes a distraction, he would ditch him. He learned from Bill. Honestly, I think this is all going to boil over. They will hire Bienemy and all will be forgiven

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The only thing is Casserio. I think if Watson becomes a distraction, he would ditch him. He learned from Bill. Honestly, I think this is all going to boil over. They will hire Bienemy and all will be forgiven

Boil over generally means things are bad, blow over means things cooled off and are all forgiven. 

which do you mean