Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Value of Colts 2021 1st Rounder

I feel like the Colts are not going to be in a position to draft an elite QB for the forseeable future, and definitely not at 21.  What value could we get to trade the #21 for a future 1st rounder that could eventually be high enough to draft an elite QB prospect?  I know you have to get lucky, and the trade partner needs to have a bad season, but would Ballard trade for a future #1 on the premise that it can be high enough next year to get the QB of the future, or at least high enough to combine with our 2022 1st round pick to move high enough?  What would our compensation be in addition to a 2022 1st rounder if we trade our 2021 1st rounder?  a 2021 2nd, 3rd?

4 hours ago, Bluesmith said:

I feel like the Colts are not going to be in a position to draft an elite QB for the forseeable future, and definitely not at 21.  What value could we get to trade the #21 for a future 1st rounder that could eventually be high enough to draft an elite QB prospect?  I know you have to get lucky, and the trade partner needs to have a bad season, but would Ballard trade for a future #1 on the premise that it can be high enough next year to get the QB of the future, or at least high enough to combine with our 2022 1st round pick to move high enough?  What would our compensation be in addition to a 2022 1st rounder if we trade our 2021 1st rounder?  a 2021 2nd, 3rd?

Yeah I think it is pretty much what you said

For 

2022 1st 

2021 2nd

Maybe an additional 4th or something

I agree there is no way to position effectively for that.  But he could decide that the players at 21 aren't worth the pick and decide to trade it for future value, especially if they are bring Rivers back for one more year.  Just trying to figure out value for future picks, the value charts don't seem to list future draft pick values.

18 hours ago, Bluesmith said:

You don't need a top 5-10 draft pick to secure an "elite" QB. There's been plenty of elite/franchise QB's that were not high draft picks. Ballard and the front office have clearly shown they're capable of identifying talented prospects, so I'm not sure this is a necessity. 

1 hour ago, Boilermaker said:

You don't need a top 5-10 draft pick to secure an "elite" QB. There's been plenty of elite/franchise QB's that were not high draft picks. Ballard and the front office have clearly shown they're capable of identifying talented prospects, so I'm not sure this is a necessity. 

Brady, Brees (just barely) and Wilson the obvious ones (elite, post-1st rounders).

Who else (post-2000) ?

16 hours ago, w87r said:

Yeah I think it is pretty much what you said

For 

2022 1st 

2021 2nd

Maybe an additional 4th or something

I have been thinking is a very likely scenario.  Trading down from 21 and an additional 4th rounder could get us two additional second round picks and get the Colts great value.  Grab best OL, Matt Jones, and Olave  / Phillips in the second.  This is Ballard's MO.   

Joseph

9 minutes ago, cjrichard said:

I have been thinking is a very likely scenario.  Trading down from 21 and an additional 4th rounder could get us two additional second round picks and get the Colts great value.  Grab best OL, Matt Jones, and Olave  / Phillips in the second.  This is Ballard's MO.   

Joseph

That definitely is Ballards MO. Could SER him trading out of 1st round or back a few spaces easily.

1 hour ago, indykmj said:

Brady, Brees (just barely) and Wilson the obvious ones (elite, post-1st rounders).

Who else (post-2000) ?

Current notable qbs drafted late first round or beyond not mentioned by you already: Aaron Rodgers, Dak Prescott, Lamar Jackson (debatable). Point I'm trying to make is you can definitely draft a franchise/elite QB even at the 21 slot. We don't have to necessarily draft up to get our guy. Of course, it's not going to be an immediate "sexy" pick like trading up into the top 5-10 to select a qb, but many highly touted QB's fail to live up to the expectations so it's no sure thing.

Archived