Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I think with AC retiring Colts should look for a mobile QB

JediXMan

9 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

There is some false equivalency at play in this topic. I'd argue if your line is worse, and is going to let up more pressure, then I'd rather take quick release over mobility. Quick release will cover a multitude of sins on a line, mobility is more helpful when the play breaks down and you're playing backyard football.

The issue with that, as we know all too well is that it exposes your QB to more physical risk. You don't see many old QBs you rely on their legs to get them out of trouble.

This is my point as well.  It’s about sack avoidance.  Quick release is actually better than mobility for avoiding sacks and loss of yardage 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole pocket passer/avoiding injury thing is tired. Those who want a more mobile QB aren’t asking for a Vick/Jackson guy. We need a guy with just enough mobility. Rodgers style athleticism. Who can pick up 3 yards on 3rd and 3 when everyone is covered. Or make a play down the goaline to get to the pylon. Big Ben was able to do the same earlier in his career but is older now. 

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

Either way, the Rivers not mobile vs. Jackson mobile argument is fine as your opinion but in reality is moot here. 

My point is that Philip, even with his stated lack of mobility & alleged arm weakness offers alot more from the quarterback position than guys like Jackson with their superior mobility, and supposedly much stronger arms.

10 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

My point is that Philip, even with his stated lack of mobility & alleged arm weakness offers alot more from the quarterback position than guys like Jackson with their superior mobility, and supposedly much stronger arms.

that is quite obvious because lamar cant throw or read defenses at all .  But imagine if rivers had the mobility of russell wilson plus kept his pocket passing abilities .  rivers would be much better and put up even better numbers .    If you have a QB that has elite pocket passing skills plus can move then its unfair to the defense and hard to defend , that is why mahomes is so good.

12 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

that is quite obvious because lamar cant throw or read defenses at all .  But imagine if rivers had the mobility of russell wilson plus kept his pocket passing abilities .  rivers would be much better and put up even better numbers .    If you have a QB that has elite pocket passing skills plus can move then its unfair to the defense and hard to defend , that is why mahomes is so good.

And yet Wilson's team is eliminated and sitting at home just like we are.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Allen is not Jackson. Buffalo looks to throw from the pocket first. Him running and extending plays is just a extension of what he goes.  Jackson is basically run first. It’s easy to shut him down.

I remember a number of designed runs by Allen against us.  And they worked.  They have designed runs for him in the playbook.  They consider him a running QB.  They reined in him a little more this year but it's in his DNA and they know it.  It's just a matter of time for him.  They better win one this year.  He might not get another chance.  

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I remember a number of designed runs by Allen against us.  And they worked.  They have designed runs for him in the playbook.  They consider him a running QB.  They reined in him a little more this year but it's in his DNA and they know it.  It's just a matter of time for him.  They better win one this year.  He might not get another chance.  

I never said they didn’t do this. But there is a huge difference in Allen and Jackson. Jackson is basically a RB. He is a poor passer in the pocket. That makes it easy to shut him down. 

On 1/12/2021 at 11:23 AM, Krushinator said:

Thinking Nelson moves to LT, bring in a guard via free agency or burn a 2nd/3rd rounder on a guard. It would be suicide to just toss Eason in coming from the third string. Bring back Rivers for a year, get him another WR preferably a big body. Eason slides to backup and is positioned to take over in 2022. Trying to rush a Young QB usually ends in disaster at some point and can ruin that QB. 

Like Andrew Luck?

51 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Like Andrew Luck?

You really want to compare the number of young QBs who started early and busted compared to those who succeeded? I’ll take those odds all day long.

Also there usually is a pretty huge difference in #1 overall pick versus a 4th rounder bud.

On 1/16/2021 at 7:09 PM, MCurtis32 said:

winston likes to leave supermarkets without seeing the checkout girls.

First time offender.....a poor college student.....left without paying for some crab legs though as I recall he paid for the rest.

I mean if you're that much of a Saint then I suppose you can throw stones at the man for his mistake.

I distinctly remember gassing and going when I was a teen by accident.....

Has zero to do with football just like mine had nothing to do with having a top secret security clearance.

Can you imagine the contract Quenton Nelson would be receiving if he switched over to LT permanently? He's already on track to become the highest paid Guard in NFL history. He'll want even more money if he sticks at LT. Hopefully the Colts can sign or draft someone who can come in day one and play well enough to be the long term answer at LT.

39 minutes ago, BillCoslosky87 said:

Can you imagine the contract Quenton Nelson would be receiving if he switched over to LT permanently? He's already on track to become the highest paid Guard in NFL history. He'll want even more money if he sticks at LT. Hopefully the Colts can sign or draft someone who can come in day one and play well enough to be the long term answer at LT.

He deserves it

I wouldn't pinch pennies on the O-line.  Moving an All Star left guard because he costs too much is backwards thinking.  If you want to save money, I'd rework Kelly's contract.  Kelly is good, but he is replaceable, not like Nelson.  When you have one of the best guards in football, you let him kill people inside and get a new tackle.  Then run the freaking ball. 

On 1/17/2021 at 12:50 PM, Krushinator said:

You really want to compare the number of young QBs who started early and busted compared to those who succeeded? I’ll take those odds all day long.

Also there usually is a pretty huge difference in #1 overall pick versus a 4th rounder bud.

Yes, a fourth rounder is cannon fodder. If you get anything, great. If you don't you keep marching on. I have seen a huge list of young QBs ruined because they played on teams that were not ready for them. They got beat up and had short careers. Andrew Luck was definitely one of those. If you don't have a good offensive line to protect them, then you are not ready for a franchise QB IMO.

Archived