Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I think with AC retiring Colts should look for a mobile QB


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, JediXMan said:

Either through free agency or Draft. I love what Rivers has done this season. It’s was one of the Funnest seasons in a long time. This team really struggled without AC. I think a mobile QB can do a better job at masking that. Just look at the final 4 AFC QBs what do they all have in common? 

Kind of my thought, too.  
 

Love Rivers.  He’s like Peyton Manning from the field general perspective, but the protection just has to be so perfect with him.  I think it would be best to find THE guy that can make things happen when all is breaking down around him.  Kind of like an Andrew Luck.  
 

Too much to ask?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just get Phillip a Segway.  Problem solved

All I know is, Buffalo is headed to the AFC Championship Game after their dominant victory over Baltimore and we came alot closer to beating them with our "statue" QB Philip Rivers than the Ravens did

Either through free agency or Draft. I love what Rivers has done this season. It’s was one of the Funnest seasons in a long time. This team really struggled without AC. I think a mobile QB can do a be

Losing AC  creates a hole that has to be filled - draft and FA market. We may need to find seasoned FA who can  play tackle and draft hight to build depth on the roster. 

I think it also puts more focus on getting a mobile QB who can run and pass. Josh Allen evading the Colts pass rush contributed to the Bills win on Saturday. Both games we played against Houston showed just how much a force Watsson was in both games. He almost single handedly beat us with his mobility as well as some good throws.

Link to post
Share on other sites

AC this morning sounded happy to be retired, with his ankle 'elevated'.

I listened to many Parcels press conferences, expressing concern with moving linemen, so I like anchoring Q eternally at LG.

If Bakhtiari recovers OK, Veldheer may not want to play backup in Green Bay, so maybe we'll have another chance.

Or, can we just make Veldheer an offer he can't refuse?

(he may prefer to head back to the Raiders, now that they're in Vegas...that's where I'd be aiming...)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Still day Nelson to Tackle makes the best sense. 

 

He was a Tackle going into ND but the 5 olinemen put McGlinchey at LT. Heck, there was an interview with the two of them where he admitted Nelson was both the best option at LT but also at LG.....

 

Pinter played well in his spot duties and can move well enough to pull and trap. He won't pancake a bunch of folks like Q.....but who does?

 

The answer to LT and to young, mobile QB with big arm are both in house.

 

Having said that, I would take Winston and his corrected vision or Dak and his repaired ankle over everyone at this point as street free agents over Wentz or Stafford in trade or whatever scraps are left for us at 21.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2021 at 11:44 PM, Scott Pennock said:

Still day Nelson to Tackle makes the best sense. 

 

He was a Tackle going into ND but the 5 olinemen put McGlinchey at LT. Heck, there was an interview with the two of them where he admitted Nelson was both the best option at LT but also at LG.....

 

Pinter played well in his spot duties and can move well enough to pull and trap. He won't pancake a bunch of folks like Q.....but who does?

 

The answer to LT and to young, mobile QB with big arm are both in house.

 

Having said that, I would take Winston and his corrected vision or Dak and his repaired ankle over everyone at this point as street free agents over Wentz or Stafford in trade or whatever scraps are left for us at 21.....

winston likes to leave supermarkets without seeing the checkout girls.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2021 at 10:53 AM, JediXMan said:

Either through free agency or Draft. I love what Rivers has done this season. It’s was one of the Funnest seasons in a long time. This team really struggled without AC. I think a mobile QB can do a better job at masking that. Just look at the final 4 AFC QBs what do they all have in common? 

Or they do like Tennessee. Build a strong running cheap Oline

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Isn't Eason mobile enough? Betcha he's more mobile than Rivers and Brissett.

If not, he  reportedly has a very quick release which to me is equivalent to being mobile 

Link to post
Share on other sites

All I know is, Buffalo is headed to the AFC Championship Game after their dominant victory over Baltimore and we came alot closer to beating them with our "statue" QB Philip Rivers than the Ravens did with their very mobile, MVP caliber QB in Lamar Jackson.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

All I know is, Buffalo is headed to the AFC Championship Game after their dominant victory over Baltimore and we came alot closer to beating them with our "statue" QB Philip Rivers than the Ravens did with their very mobile, MVP caliber QB in Lamar Jackson.

Yeah it’s amazing how the statue drove the offense up and down the field on Bills defense. I thought mobile QBs were so much more effective because they can extend plays. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Yeah it’s amazing how the statue drove the offense up and down the field on Bills defense. I thought mobile QBs were so much more effective because they can extend plays. 

 

Rivers put up 24 points (would've been 34 with the made 33-yarder and Pittman hauling in the 4th down pass) against the Bills D.

 

The reigning MVP, who was ranked 7th in QBR for 2020, did virtually nothing against the Bills.

 

And yet, half of Colts nation is trying to run Rivers out of town because "mobility."  Not to mention the fact that he played half of the season with a broken toe/foot that may need to be surgically repaired.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

The Colts -- with their statue leader -- played the closest game of the playoffs against the hottest team of all time. 

 

Should have won. 

Not to mention that Brady or Brees game is going to be in the NFC title game.  People are way too hung up on the mobility factor.  Don’t get me wrong it’s nice and I am not against getting a QB who can move around but I don’t think it’s make or break like some are making it out to be.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Yeah it’s amazing how the statue drove the offense up and down the field on Bills defense. I thought mobile QBs were so much more effective because they can extend plays. 

Lamar Jackson, probably the best running QB the NFL has seen since Michael Vick,  is now 1-3 in the postseason.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lancer1 said:

Lamar Jackson, probably the best running QB the NFL has seen since Michael Vick,  is now 1-3 in the postseason.

So true.  I'll take an easy pass on a running mobile QB.  Allen won't have a long career either.  I'll take the Brady's, Rogers, Brees, Rivers all the time for my franchise QB.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

So true.  I'll take an easy pass on a running mobile QB.  Allen won't have a long career either.  I'll take the Brady's, Rogers, Brees, Rivers all the time for my franchise QB.  

The “statute “ QBs play the longest

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

So true.  I'll take an easy pass on a running mobile QB.  Allen won't have a long career either.  I'll take the Brady's, Rogers, Brees, Rivers all the time for my franchise QB.  

Aaron Rodgers can run effectively but he picks his spots, and is primarily a thrower - if Josh Allen (who has a terrific arm) follows suit, he too could have a lengthy & productive career.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

 

Rivers put up 24 points (would've been 34 with the made 33-yarder and Pittman hauling in the 4th down pass) against the Bills D.

 

The reigning MVP, who was ranked 7th in QBR for 2020, did virtually nothing against the Bills.

 

And yet, half of Colts nation is trying to run Rivers out of town because "mobility."  Not to mention the fact that he played half of the season with a broken toe/foot that may need to be surgically repaired.

Two of the bills tds were luck as well. Allen completing a ridiculous  pass while falling down. Turay extending  a drive. Not to mention  not getting  any turnovers. Bills might pass their way to superbowl 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not to mention that Brady or Brees game is going to be in the NFC title game.  People are way too hung up on the mobility factor.  Don’t get me wrong it’s nice and I am not against getting a QB who can move around but I don’t think it’s make or break like some are making it out to be.  

If the ravens had rivers they would be going to afc championship 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If the ravens had rivers they would be going to afc championship 

Honestly the colts with Rivers should have won last week.  The Bills playoff run is reminding of '06.  A high powered offense stalled in the post season and doing just enough to advance.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sumo63 said:

Honestly the colts with Rivers should have won last week.  The Bills playoff run is reminding of '06.  A high powered offense stalled in the post season and doing just enough to advance.

I agree. Funny how ravens defense  always  seem to play better than ours

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If the ravens had rivers they would be going to afc championship 

I don’t know about that but I do think it would have been a closer game like last week was for the Colts at the very least.  I think Rivers would have made it a true 50/50 game where as the Bills seemed in control most of the night tonight, at least to me, even if the score didn’t show that.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Aaron Rodgers can run effectively but he picks his spots, and is primarily a thrower - if Josh Allen (who has a terrific arm) follows suit, he too could have a lengthy & productive career.

Josh Allen has one of the best arms I’ve ever seen.  If he continues to develop I don’t think it’s long before he’s the best QB in the league with all due respect to Mahomes.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I agree. Funny how ravens defense  always  seem to play better than ours

I'm still dead inside over our loss.  It was in hand!  We played good enough to win that game.  Just a couple, literally like 2, missed opportunities.  "Damn".......(Gordon Ramsay voice)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sumo63 said:

I'm still dead inside over our loss.  It was in hand!  We played good enough to win that game.  Just a couple, literally like 2, missed opportunities.  "Damn".......(Gordon Ramsay voice)

Yep sadly that’s often the difference in playoff games.  You aren’t offered the opportunity to make mistakes.  Still I hope people are seeing this team isn’t as far away as some thought they were even a few weeks ago.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yep sadly that’s often the difference in playoff games.  You aren’t offered the opportunity to make mistakes.  Still I hope people are seeing this team isn’t as far away as some thought they were even a few weeks ago.  

I had super high expectations this year, maybe even unrealistic.  They were almost lived up to.  Almost, but I've been back on earth since the second Titans game......2020....*Ramsay..... I just need to move on......Colts should have played today tho.......*Ramsay

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

I had super high expectations this year, maybe even unrealistic.  They were almost lived up to.  Almost, but I've been back on earth since the second Titans game......2020....*Ramsay..... I just need to move on......Colts should have played today tho.......*Ramsay

Need to add more explosiveness to  offense  and get better pash rush and we'll be  there

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stephen said:

Need to add more explosiveness to  offense  and get better pash rush and we'll be  there

Need some help in the secondary too and a new left tackle.  Maybe a new QB too depending on what Rivers and the Colts decide. Some key positions to be addressed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Honestly the colts with Rivers should have won last week.  The Bills playoff run is reminding of '06.  A high powered offense stalled in the post season and doing just enough to advance.

Honestly  if rogers had had his hands under the ball for the int that is 7 less points for bills

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Need some help in the secondary too and a new left tackle.  Maybe a new QB too depending on what Rivers and the Colts decide. Some key positions to be addressed.

Got to get pass defense  to play like run defense 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Need some help in the secondary too and a new left tackle.  Maybe a new QB too depending on what Rivers and the Colts decide. Some key positions to be addressed.

We get tell back for secondary.  I am more concerned with  edge rusher

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stephen said:

We get tell back for secondary.  I am more concerned with  edge rusher

tell will help but they could also lose Rhodes and I don’t expect Carrie back.  While I don’t think the Colts are giving up on Rock his struggles are real.  The secondary is going to need work and the safety position needs depth too.  I agree edge rusher is probably a bigger need, Especially with Houston and Autry being free agents, but the secondary needs help too.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Need to add more explosiveness to  offense  and get better pash rush and we'll be  there

I think there might be a touch more dysfunction philosophically.

Our (overly?) aggressive offense doesnt sit well with our passive (pass) defense.

We seem, in big games, to be giving up points at both ends.  Colts are close as you say, but they need to reconsile those two and form a solid identity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Honestly  if rogers had had his hands under the ball for the int that is 7 less points for bills

It came down to a razor thin margin on execution and/or coaching. Colts had every opportunity to win.  I dont think Buffalo or the Ravens are unstoppable juggernauts.  That's why it hurts so much.

 

I'm pulling for the Browns now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

All I know is, Buffalo is headed to the AFC Championship Game after their dominant victory over Baltimore and we came alot closer to beating them with our "statue" QB Philip Rivers than the Ravens did with their very mobile, MVP caliber QB in Lamar Jackson.

Seriously? Where I agree we should have beaten Buffalo last week, the Ravens are a one trick pony tied to a QB who is not very good. Yes I said it, Jackson is terrible. He is a superior athlete making him highly efficient from a running standpoint sprinkled with very little passing efficiency. Once you consistently stop the Ravens running game which involves containing Jackson, the Ravens are not hard to beat. They might have given and/or give Lamar MVP awards but MVP he is not. He falls into same category with those who keep trying to convince all who will listen that Cam Newton was/is great QB... Ha!! What a joke. Either way, the Rivers not mobile vs. Jackson mobile argument is fine as your opinion but in reality is moot here. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, richard pallo said:

So true.  I'll take an easy pass on a running mobile QB.  Allen won't have a long career either.  I'll take the Brady's, Rogers, Brees, Rivers all the time for my franchise QB.  

Allen is not Jackson. Buffalo looks to throw from the pocket first. Him running and extending plays is just a extension of what he goes.  Jackson is basically run first. It’s easy to shut him down.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mobility is nice, but I don't want my franchise popping his AC joint on a scramble in Tennessee, only to have the coaching staff decide that letting the franchise play through it was the best bet to save their butt.

 

Or Mobility is nice, but Tom Brady and Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger..

 

Or Mobility is nice, but we were all waiting on what happened to Lamar Jackson last night. (Not saying I wanted it to happen, just that I figured at some point he'd get rocked- he's only got a few of those).

 

I really think that skill set is overrated in relationship to winning SB's. Being a pocket passer is what a QB needs to be best at and the close second is personality/intelligence ect.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is some false equivalency at play in this topic. I'd argue if your line is worse, and is going to let up more pressure, then I'd rather take quick release over mobility. Quick release will cover a multitude of sins on a line, mobility is more helpful when the play breaks down and you're playing backyard football.

 

The issue with that, as we know all too well is that it exposes your QB to more physical risk. You don't see many old QBs you rely on their legs to get them out of trouble.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • And by that measure, he's going to want to draft a replacement for Rhodes, Doyle, and possibly Glowinski (Pinter?).
    • Ballard made the responsible decisions in FA period by filling holes that had blanks so if the draft totally fell apart, he could still field a team.  It wasn't really about getting better through free agency.  The OT signings are strictly backup material or being able to start someone come week 1.     I don't think the quality of the free agents signed has any bearing on how much he's going to want to draft a LT.  And its a lot, IMO.   I also think he's going to want a plug n play DE.  No projects or ceiling guys but a day one starter who has experience in their college career.  Basham or Payton Turner fit that mold  They are the most like Autry, who left.  Choosing not to match Autry's contract tells me he's probably figuring on getting the replacement in the draft.  (maybe Lewis?...I doubt it) The other edge college candidates all seem to be replicates of Turay/Banogu, athletic and high ceiling but raw and with questions.
    • i think part of what we will be paying Leonard and Nelson for is their leadership on the team.   Both have great character and are respected by the players on this team.  They both make other players play harder and better.   That just cannot be replaced easily.  
    • Ballard drafts 2-3 years down the line. So they were definitely needs...we just don’t see those future needs and/or aren’t privy to their true roster construction goals.    But Smith was definitely not meant to be depth...he was drafted to be the starting RG.   Hines was drafted to add a pass-catching RB to the RBC they were building.   Okereke was drafted to take Walker’s spot because he didn’t fit the defense.   Taylor was drafted to make the offense more explosive. They talked about it all  that offseason...so taking a RB early shouldn’t have been the shock that it was...especially with Mack entering his final rookie deal season and missing 2-4 games per year. I don’t think Mack is supposed to still be here...he was supposed to have a good season and net a decent comp pick.   Similarly to Taylor and Oke, Blackmon was drafted to replace Hooker, who didn’t fit the defense and was supposed to net a comp pick in FA.   I think you might even see Ballard draft a S again this year, though it likely won’t in the first two rounds. But it could happen.   Really there are a few positions he could draft early. But I am certain they will take an OT at some point early.
  • Members

    • Myles

      Myles 4,203

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • pgt_rob

      pgt_rob 740

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DEFENSE

      DEFENSE 294

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IndyEric07

      IndyEric07 122

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Mick12Maher

      Mick12Maher 81

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Derakynn

      Derakynn 126

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Fluke_33

      Fluke_33 2,676

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • iuswingman

      iuswingman 46

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DougDew

      DougDew 2,605

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • RollerColt

      RollerColt 2,681

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...