Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anthony Castonzo Retiring

John Waylon

38 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It’s hard to say. That said, he wasn’t drafted to be a career backup. Ballard has or had a starting gig in mind for him at some point. We don’t have enough or any infrastructure to if he’s still on that plan or not. But my guess is we will have a general idea within the next 6 weeks. Ballard let him on the active roster for a reason and it wasn’t just to have 3 QBs

KC took Kevin Hogan in the 5th (behind goff, wentz, lynch, jacoby, and a few others) as a dev prospect in 16 before dipping in for Mahomes in '17. I may be clutching at straws some but I don't think a 4th rounder was picked to start. Hogan was the 3rd string QB behind Tyler Bray that season.

If Eason has shown something, he will get a chance but I don't think GMs draft QBs in that round expecting them to start. You're drafting for prospects at that point. The Colts have kept it all very quiet so no one knows what he is now but drafting him was rolling the dice.

Oh, Chris Ballard was involved in all those decisions of course.

If Eason is any good then we will see come draft day. If not, the Colts ought to be trading the farm for someone they like....if they like someone strongly.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My biggest worry is moving Nelson and replacing him with a UDFA.  Remember all those years of having to pass on 3rd and 1.  That was awful.  Now that Taylor is warming up, I say go for it and keep a good OL.  If you don't want to pay the interior line, then just trade Taylor and pass the ball to Hines.

7 hours ago, Superman said:

I mean, someone is going to be very disappointed with whatever the Colts do in the offseason. Might as well be you... :)

But I don't agree that we're as close to being great as we are likely to be in the near future. The one thing that can take this team from fringe playoff contender to actual SB contender is great QB play. We are not going to get great QB play from Rivers, and probably not from anyone else on this roster. So you keep looking for a guy who can give you that kind of performance at the position.

To the bolded, it seems like you're looking for an assurance that they can draft a great QB in the first round, and if you get that assurance then it's okay to draft a QB and sign Rivers, because the great QB is now on the roster. What I'm saying is that any team that drafts a QB in the first round is anticipating that he's going to be good for them, potentially great, but they don't/can't know until he plays. What they say about him at the time they draft him doesn't matter, only how he plays. But you can't get that guy if you aren't willing to spend the pick.

To me, we're not the 2020 Packers; we're more like the 2004 Packers (except Rivers is older and less capable than Favre was at the time). We don't know what Rivers wants to do, how much longer he can/will play, and we don't have a franchise-level QB on the roster. Until we do -- or until we think we do -- that's the highest and most urgent priority, IMO. 

I guess what I am really saying is that am speaking as a fan and I hope we try to be as good next year as we can be, assuming PR signs.

If I’m Ballard and I think I’ve got my guy, you’ve got to go with that.  I would suspect however that few GMs have been really confident in the late 1st round, so as a fan I’d rather have them get someone they plan on using in 2021.

Wow Anthony such an under rated left tackle.  I can’t believe how this dude didn’t make the pro bowl year and year out?  I’m feeling a little depressed last player from the Peyton ERA.  I know they didn’t actually play together but hey he was still drafted when Peyton the GOAT was still here.  Makes me feel sad damn I’m getting old.  All these years of watching him line up on that Oline Castonzo was always ready rarely ever miss games.  That’s rare to find especially since he played on Oline.  Well Mr Anthony Castonzo Thank You for entertaining us colts fan for the past 10 years!!  Enjoy retirement and hope to see you back on the sideline every now and then to teach the new comers!!  Thank You Mr All Pro Castonzo!!

12 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Villenueva is on the market too. Stand up guy. You can probably get for a good price.

West Point Graduate. Hero, awarded Bronze Stars for Heroism, carrying out wounded Soldiers under fire in Afghanistan!!!!  He's more than a Stand Up Guy!  And, next to Q, he can Play!!!!

4 hours ago, jimmy g said:

West Point Graduate. Hero, awarded Bronze Stars for Heroism, carrying out wounded Soldiers under fire in Afghanistan!!!!  He's more than a Stand Up Guy!  And, next to Q, he can Play!!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if Villenueva wants out of Pittsburgh. Over half the team turned their backs on him for coming out of the locker to do the National Anthem caused he stood to his beliefs. 

Maybe this is best for Castonzo and the Colts. He missed a few games this year and maybe he would not have stayed healthy enough in 2021 to warrant 17 mill in cap space. Btw... I think we have a decent backup in Holden. Looked much better than all 3 of the backups we saw this year. 

22 hours ago, MFT5 said:

it's about what's sustainable. even a great o line can't be sustained for more than 3-5 consecutive years. it's just not the smart thing so do to base your franchise on things like o line or defense. those have to be ancillary. yu can agree or disagree idc.

even moreso we're actually en the best position to take on a rookie qb since our so called strengths are OLINE & D. 

if we draft a Qb that's mobile and can make mid level throws consistently. along w a secondary WR we can beat any team en the league 7/10 times. that would cover up for frank who's a decent game planner but bad game manager

Without a good LT than OL isn't a strength.  

Maybe we can sign a rental off of free agency or something.  But I would argue fixing the LT problem is priority #1 over the QB issue.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Without a good LT than OL isn't a strength.  

Maybe we can sign a rental off of free agency or something.  But I would argue fixing the LT problem is priority #1 over the QB issue.  

Who is the Chiefs Packers Buccaneers Saints Bills Ravens LT

23 hours ago, MFT5 said:

Who is the Chiefs Packers Buccaneers Saints Bills Ravens LT

Those teams identity is not strong OL's that let them pound the rock in the run game.  Ravens run the ball a lot but they do it with their QB.  The rest of those teams sling the ball, especially the Chiefs and Packers.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Those teams identity is not strong OL's that let them pound the rock in the run game.  Ravens run the ball a lot but they do it with their QB.  The rest of those teams sling the ball, especially the Chiefs and Packers.  

ok my point is they win regardless of their LT bc their scheme & qb make that to a degree neutral or irrelevant 

Archived