Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who would be in your guys top 5 safeties of the last 20 years?

Trace Pyott

No you didn’t wake up in 2007, it’s still 2021 sadly. Anyways I was watching videos of bob sanders and cam chancellor and It got me thinking. Would you guys rank a HEALTHY BOB Sanders in your top 5 safeties of the last 20 years?  Again let me reiterate here, this is assuming each player is healthy all year long. Who would be in your guys top 5 safeties of the last 20 years? 
  I’m just wondering because I know he was great I just don’t watch as much NFL as you guys might. I have missed maybe 2 colts games on tv over the last decade or two but I hardly ever watch anything that doesn’t involve the colts or have colts playoff implications at stake at the end of the year. I’m sure you guys are much better judges of talent than I am thus the topic. Please discuss. 

1 hour ago, Trace Pyott said:

No you didn’t wake up in 2007, it’s still 2021 sadly. Anyways I was watching videos of bob sanders and cam chancellor and It got me thinking. Would you guys rank a HEALTHY BOB Sanders in your top 5 safeties of the last 20 years?  Again let me reiterate here, this is assuming each player is healthy all year long. Who would be in your guys top 5 safeties of the last 20 years? 
  I’m just wondering because I know he was great I just don’t watch as much NFL as you guys might. I have missed maybe 2 colts games on tv over the last decade or two but I hardly ever watch anything that doesn’t involve the colts or have colts playoff implications at stake at the end of the year. I’m sure you guys are much better judges of talent than I am thus the topic. Please discuss. 

Yea sanders was a beast

3 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

If healthy, Bob Sanders, no home field bias here, would be easily top 3, if not the top of all safeties in his era.  The game has changed a LOT since Sanders last played and his style now would like draw a lot of flags.  His hits were vicious at times, clean, but vicious. 

• Nadine changed the title to Who would be in your guys top 5 safeties of the last 20 years?
4 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

Absolutely.  The one year he was healthy he was defensive player of the year.   I think he would have been multiple times had he been able to stay on the field.  
still my favorite defensive player 

Thanks for the replies. I watched tape on chancellor and he just didn’t seem as impressive as bob did.  Bob just seemed so explosive and dynamic. However, like many have already stated in today’s nfl he would of probably gotten flagged at least 2x a game for being too violent lol. He wasn’t dirty he was just a missle tipped with a bowling ball of butcher knives (thanks pagano). I still remember that hit at the goal line where if you had a green screen and replaced bob with a steel wall you wouldn’t have batted an eye lash on how the guy just fell down with no momentum once bob hit him. I’ve never in my life seen a guy running at near full speed just fall down like that. 

12 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Bob was definitely HOF good. I'd say if healthy would have been in DPOY discussion every year. Did he even have a weakness? Other than his obvious one of staying healthy. 

To be fair, that kind of IS a glaring weakness.  Although not a safety, look at how dominant Watt was before his health concerns.  I did like Bob Sanders though.  He was definitely special.

53 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

To be fair, that kind of IS a glaring weakness.  Although not a safety, look at how dominant Watt was before his health concerns.  I did like Bob Sanders though.  He was definitely special.

Yes he played with reckless abandonment for his own body. If he crafted his skillset to better tackles instead of knock out blows he could have played a lot longer. But I'm not gonna lie I loved watching him and Taylor blow people up!

Archived