Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Many Colts Were In Or Near The Endzone For The Hail Mary Vs. Buffalo?

Here was the play: 

There were only four Colts players remotely close to being in position, but even if they had made the catch they wouldn't have been in the endzone. Frank Reich should have put Jacoby Brissett in for the extra arm strength.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Maybe, but let’s face it, even with JB, the odds aren’t in our favor on that play. Reich made the call to let his likely retiring QB have one last shot. I’m okay with that, really I am. Mainly because I don’t see or have faith JB makes throw and has it caught. Not with 6 defenders draped all over TY. 

• Like 1

As mentioned, even if caught, it was short of the endzone.  I would have put in JB whotcould throw a high arching Hail Mary into the end zone. In a small sample size, I've noticed JB likes to throw to Pittman and I think he would be thinking Pittman with 6-4 height and reach has the best chance to make the Hail Mary Catch.  With Rivers we had a 1% chance, with JB maybe like a 3% chance, not good odds but a chance.  I'm sure like us, the Buffalo fans did not feel at ease until that pass fell incomplete when it hit the ground.  They know anything can happen.  Those numbers I mentioned are just my hypothetical guess you know what I mean.

8 hours ago, csmopar said:

Maybe, but let’s face it, even with JB, the odds aren’t in our favor on that play. Reich made the call to let his likely retiring QB have one last shot. I’m okay with that, really I am. Mainly because I don’t see or have faith JB makes throw and has it caught. Not with 6 defenders draped all over TY. 

We put JB in to throw a Hail Mary back in 2018 early in the season due to Luck’s shoulder... He basically threw it through the back of the end zone. 

I’m surprised teams don’t put more effort into planning that play.

I’d try to get a 2 or 3 guys where the ball cones down.  A penalty could be drawn here.

i’d also try to get a guy or 2 behind them or off to side in endzone for a potential tip type drill.  It just seems lije teams arent ready for it when needed.

You potentially could see it twice in a game.  End of 1st half and end of game.

10 hours ago, King Colt said:

The pass was more of a line drive than a hail mary and a little short  but count the number of Colts near the ball.

That pass was nothing like a line drive. Rivers put all he could into that throw and it was rainbow like with weak velocity not even coming close to the endzone. To me line drive means it would have been a low throw with velocity.

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

We put JB in to throw a Hail Mary back in 2018 early in the season due to Luck’s shoulder... He basically threw it through the back of the end zone. 

im not doubting his arm strength.  I'm doubting the play being completed. less than 10% of all Hail Mary's are completed, that includes end of the half and end of game, for end of game, that percent drops to less than 4%.  The odds just aren't in our favor.  Especially when you throw it to the shortest WR we have.

I don't know why more teams don't "volleyball" the play.  Have your tallest receiver jump up with no intention to catch it, but to "bump" it to a teammate a couple yards in front of him, hoping he'd catch it and make it to the end zone.

(First of all, is that even legal?)  

The chances of it working are slim, but probably better than pulling off the pass completion.  Let's face it, teams are hoping for the PI on that play but the refs usually let them play.

• Like 1

Another thought, that rarely happens.... I would split three wide on one side and two wide on the other.  I would put like Pittman and Mo-Alie on the one side.  Hope it splits the defenders a little with two pass catching groups and then the QB can make a quick decision which side has less defenders.  

Still has a very slim chance of working, and if that is what you have to bank on, probably should have made a few plays earlier...

• Like 1

Have coaches split offensive players into 2 areas thus splitting defensive resources and thrown it to 1 corner to maximize odds on a Hail Mary? Or even done the Boise State hook and ladder lately?

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

im not doubting his arm strength.  I'm doubting the play being completed. less than 10% of all Hail Mary's are completed, that includes end of the half and end of game, for end of game, that percent drops to less than 4%.  The odds just aren't in our favor.  Especially when you throw it to the shortest WR we have.

I should have clarified... I’m agreeing with you. Throwing it through the back of the end zone is 0% chance of completing. I thought Rivers was the right choice. It would have taken a miracle regardless. And shouldn’t have been in that situation to begin with. 

• Like 1

Colts had 3 receivers in the area. Mo was coming in too late (of course, our tallest guy), and Hines stayed in as a 6th blocker, which had to be done because Rivers can't roll out like essentially every other NFL QB can do on a hail mary pass.

9 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

That pass was nothing like a line drive. Rivers put all he could into that throw and it was rainbow like with weak velocity not even coming close to the endzone. To me line drive means it would have been a low throw with velocity.

It had a little arc but it was far from a rainbow.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, runthepost said:

50 yard throw and didn’t reach the end zone. Seeing Rodgers fling that one Hail Mary nearly 70 yards is still impressive 

Right.  Isn't rodgers known for having the best hail mary percentage or maybe it is his just having done so many impressive ones

4 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I'm sure you would . Don't try to support your takes with YouTube videos because I don't consult the moronic masses that rely on YouTube to justify their misguided theories.

Rivers = Rainbow

Favre = line drive

Learn it,  know it,  live it