Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anthony Walker

Patrick Miller

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

Imo we could use an upgrade over Walker. What do you think? Suggestions? Or are u happy with his play?

Neither Walker or Okereke played well. Walker though, was at least true to form and a tackle machine. 20 more Ts than Oke in the same amount of snaps. Oke took a step back, pretty big step back, in pass coverage from last year. 

Personally, I'd bring Walker back. He'll be cheap and has been the QB (play caller) of the D for several years. And Oke is just bad vs the run. If you're going to draft a LB, or bring in a FA, you simply replace both, and use Oke as a standalone SAM, and depth LB.

And if we intend to draft or bring in some, I'd be tempted to go after JOK in the draft. He and Leonard would be the best LB group in the NFL. 

In fairness to both Walker and Oke, pretty sure scheme changes this year impacted them both, giving them a lot more, and a lot different hand off responsibilities. 

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

He's gone.  I believe Okereke was getting more snaps than him.  

They had near the same snaps. Walker a few more on the year which is probably due to Leonard being out a few games. Overall, it went back and forth depending on who we played (pass heavy vs run heavy teams). Both have strengths, and both have weaknesses. They were very complimentary last year when Oke was doing well in coverage. Not so much this year.

Someone in the media tweeted that he said playing time will be a major factor in his decision and he sounds like a dude who knows it’s time to go. 

If playing time is that big a deal to him then it’s probably time he moves on, he’s too much of a liability to put on the field in pass coverage. 

8 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Someone in the media tweeted that he said playing time will be a major factor in his decision and he sounds like a dude who knows it’s time to go. 

If playing time is that big a deal to him then it’s probably time he moves on, he’s too much of a liability to put on the field in pass coverage. 

Player  (snaps)  - Completion % allowed - Tackles  - YAC allowed - Pressures/Blitzes

Leonard (825)  -              81.4                          132               309                6/45 (13.3%)

Okereke (685)  -              78.7                           72                257                1/26 (3.8%)

Walker  (697)   -               76.0                           92                158                3/22 (13.6%)

I like to stick to the stats on this one. There's no real difference between Oke and Walker's PFF, or completion % allowed. Walker is easily a better tackler in traffic too. Oke is hands down the least effective blitzer.

His position is one of 3 I think the Colts must address on defense to reach the next level. We must get more pressure on the QB, by upgrading on Houston/Turay, also Ok/Walker upgrade needed, as well as either a CB or a good cover safety to go with Blackmon (going to be great). The good news is that we are 4th in cap space, so we should be able to upgrade fast.

8 minutes ago, Blueblazes said:

His position is one of 3 I think the Colts must address on defense to reach the next level. We must get more pressure on the QB, by upgrading on Houston/Turay, also Ok/Walker upgrade needed, as well as either a CB or a good cover safety to go with Blackmon (going to be great). The good news is that we are 4th in cap space, so we should be able to upgrade fast.

We are top 16 in pressures, and had 3 top 25 sackers, while only blitzing 17% (30th in the league). Do you realize how good that is given the low blitz %? IMO, scheme, not talent is keeping the DL from getting more pressures/sacks.

On S, do you realize how bad Blackmon struggled the last 5-6 games? Highest missed tackle % out of all defensive starters, and highest passer rating allowed of all DBs. The big plays are great with what's in front of him at times, but after teams got tape on him, he became a liability deep. 

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We are top 16 in pressures, and had 3 top 25 sackers, while only blitzing 17% (30th in the league). Do you realize how good that is given the low blitz %? IMO, scheme, not talent is keeping the DL from getting more pressures/sacks.

On S, do you realize how bad Blackmon struggled the last 5-6 games? Highest missed tackle % out of all defensive starters, and highest passer rating allowed of all DBs. The big plays are great with what's in front of him at times, but after teams got tape on him, he became a liability deep. 

I thought Blackmon was going to the hall of fame based on early feedback?? Lol

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He's exactly the same guy he was in college. That was enough to give me pause when we drafted him for FS. The fact he was also moving from a man-heavy D to a zone heavy D, also gave me pause. I thought though he'd be a great SS (and part of me still does), but the missed tackle issues have given me pause in that thinking too.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He's exactly the same guy he was in college. That was enough to give me pause when we drafted him for FS. The fact he was also moving from a man-heavy D to a zone heavy D, also gave me pause. I thought though he'd be a great SS (and part of me still does), but the missed tackle issues have given me pause in that thinking itoo.

Honestly. Do u think Ballard has drafted well on defence? Most of the top performers are free agents.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Player  (snaps)  - Completion % allowed - Tackles  - YAC allowed - Pressures/Blitzes

Leonard (825)  -              81.4                          132               309                6/45 (13.3%)

Okereke (685)  -              78.7                           72                257                1/26 (3.8%)

Walker  (697)   -               76.0                           92                158                3/22 (13.6%)

I like to stick to the stats on this one. There's no real difference between Oke and Walker's PFF, or completion % allowed. Walker is easily a better tackler in traffic too. Oke is hands down the least effective blitzer.

What does completion % allowed mean?  Does higher % mean more completed passes? Sorry for my lack of understanding.

41 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I was going to ask about Blackmon.  Can what he's failing at be taught?

57 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Honestly. Do u think Ballard has drafted well on defence? Most of the top performers are free agents.

Not really.

Leonard is his only big hit.

Wilson, for a 2nd rounder, complete bust.

Willis is very solid for a 4th, but also very limited to a box safety role. Still, has been very good at what asked to do.

Walker, for a 5th rounder, we've gotten a ton of production out of.

Stewart, coming on, but nothing spectacular. Great for 4th rounder though.

Blackmon, too early to tell. I like him more at SS.

Oke, jury still out, but huge step back this year. It's not like he was great in college to begin with. 3rd was too early.

The DEs, Turay, Basham, Banogu, Lewis, haven't contributed much, and none are starters. A lot of early draft capital.

Hooker and RYS are good, but bad system matches. I could see them balling out other places in different schemes.

I don't really weigh 5th round and later picks. 

Overall, not horrible, but not near genius level a lot want to give him credit for. The roster was pretty bad when he came in, so it was easy to pick some mediocre guys and still see a performance upgrade. 

56 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I think he’s better than Oke at the moment. Not sure how good Oke is gonna get.

Walker did say playing time was a factor though. Probably doesn’t wanna split time anymore.

Walker would likely do better in a 3-4 as a true ILB. He's a tackle machine. I also think overall he's better than Oke. 

40 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

What does completion % allowed mean?  Does higher % mean more completed passes? Sorry for my lack of understanding.

Yes, higher completed passes. 

38 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I was going to ask about Blackmon.  Can what he's failing at be taught?

I'm not expert, but IMO... His biggest issue is not being disciplined. He wants to make the big play in front of him every down. Don't think he has the range, or ability to lurk like Hooker. We're playing a bit more C1/C3 (single high) this year, and IMO, Hooker would have done much better in those conditions. Hooker is a bad C2 scheme match though, but is still better in coverage than Blackman. Personally I'd love to bring Hooker back on the cheap. A 3 man rotation of Hooker/Blackman/Willis would be awesome depending on the play call. We'd have a ton of flexibility. I'd also explore RYS at either S position if we're going to continue playing soft zone. He's a press CB, and just not a good fit unless he can convert and learn to play off / soft coverage. 

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

He’s a free agent.  I’d be surprised if he’s back but he’s going to have to be replaced.  The Colts need more than two starting caliber linebackers.  

Not really, they start only two .ost of the time.... A fringe starter as your third LBer is probably fine, and more realistic with the other needs team has this off-season.

7 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Imo we could use an upgrade over Walker. What do you think? Suggestions? Or are u happy with his play?

He’s just not that great in pass coverage, and I think Okereke has more range. He’s a great run stopper but that’s only for two down.

51 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Not really, they start only two .ost of the time.... A fringe starter as your third LBer is probably fine, and more realistic with the other needs team has this off-season.

Not really because they don’t really have fringe starter either.  They are going to have to do something there.  I don’t mean go and sign the biggest free agent name you can or spend your first round draft pick on it but a mid round pick could very well be a linebacker not unlike what Walker was.  

11 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yeah...where are all the Blackmon posts telling people to eat crow. 

If you were exercising caution on a small sample size...instead of a calling him a superstar and another Leonard...you were a fool.

20 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Not really.

Leonard is his only big hit.

Wilson, for a 2nd rounder, complete bust.

Willis is very solid for a 4th, but also very limited to a box safety role. Still, has been very good at what asked to do.

Walker, for a 5th rounder, we've gotten a ton of production out of.

Stewart, coming on, but nothing spectacular. Great for 4th rounder though.

Blackmon, too early to tell. I like him more at SS.

Oke, jury still out, but huge step back this year. It's not like he was great in college to begin with. 3rd was too early.

The DEs, Turay, Basham, Banogu, Lewis, haven't contributed much, and none are starters. A lot of early draft capital.

Hooker and RYS are good, but bad system matches. I could see them balling out other places in different schemes.

I don't really weigh 5th round and later picks. 

Overall, not horrible, but not near genius level a lot want to give him credit for. The roster was pretty bad when he came in, so it was easy to pick some mediocre guys and still see a performance upgrade. 

Walker would likely do better in a 3-4 as a true ILB. He's a tackle machine. I also think overall he's better than Oke. 

Yes, higher completed passes. 

I'm not expert, but IMO... His biggest issue is not being disciplined. He wants to make the big play in front of him every down. Don't think he has the range, or ability to lurk like Hooker. We're playing a bit more C1/C3 (single high) this year, and IMO, Hooker would have done much better in those conditions. Hooker is a bad C2 scheme match though, but is still better in coverage than Blackman. Personally I'd love to bring Hooker back on the cheap. A 3 man rotation of Hooker/Blackman/Willis would be awesome depending on the play call. We'd have a ton of flexibility. I'd also explore RYS at either S position if we're going to continue playing soft zone. He's a press CB, and just not a good fit unless he can convert and learn to play off / soft coverage. 

Agreed.  I am not as high on Ballard as others on this forum.  I feel he is over rated as a gm. If u were to take his free agents off this D, they would b a hot mess. He is praised as a god and far from. This year is going to b a test...a big test for the GM proclaimed messiah

15 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Agreed.  I am not as high on Ballard as others on this forum.  I feel he is over rated as a gm. If u were to take his free agents off this D, they would b a hot mess. He is praised as a god and far from. This year is going to b a test...a big test for the GM proclaimed messiah

I think you're overly harsh to be honest. Is he a god, nope. Is he good, yes. The overall health of the roster is so much better than the Grigson years, and it isn't even close. And FA adds are a huge part of the job of a GM, and he's done pretty well in that area. He's also done better than average drafting too. All GMs have good and bad picks. Ballard's bad picks aren't near as bad as most GMs. He's also had some bad injury luck.

I don't like all the worship nonsense from some on the board, nor do I like the folks that freak out any time there is criticism, but anyone that thinks Ballard is a bad GM simply has zero clue of the comps out there. 

Anthony Walker is very underrated imo. The Colts should absolutely want him back, and k think they probably do, but you can only pay a middle linebacker so much, especially when he's the third best one on your team.

As he does with every player, I'm sure Ballard has his number for Walker, and I think it will be lower than what other teams are willing to pay him in free agency. I can absolutely see a team giving Walker something like 3/$25, and I don't see Ballard willing to match that.

It will be a shame, but I think he'll be playing elsewhere next year.

41 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

???

he liked a couple tweets that were negative to him. players often do that as sarcasm to the person tweeting.

Yeah I'm not one to read into tweets and stuff like that. The fact that his dads twitter account liked the same tweets kind of gave it a different tone. Couple that in with him being pretty open in implying he wasn't happy about starting to get less snaps through the rest of the season. I'd almost guarantee he signs with a marginal team so that he can play every snap. I'll gladly eat crow if he's back.

6 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Yeah I'm not one to read into tweets and stuff like that. The fact that his dads twitter account liked the same tweets kind of gave it a different tone. Couple that in with him being pretty open in implying he wasn't happy about starting to get less snaps through the rest of the season. I'd almost guarantee he signs with a marginal team so that he can play every snap. I'll gladly eat crow if he's back.

If I were him, I'd follow the money to a 3-4 base D. He'd be a much better true ILB in a 3-4 IMO.

And he's losing snaps to a guy who played arguably worse than him this year.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

If I were him, I'd follow the money to a 3-4 base D. He'd be a much better true ILB in a 3-4 IMO.

And he's losing snaps to a guy who played arguably worse than him this year.

Agreed. I think his time has passed here. Appreciate what he's done there though.

2 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Agreed. I think his time has passed here. Appreciate what he's done there though.

TBH, I'm scared to think about Oke taking over full time MIKE. He's just not that good. Higher pass completion rate than Walker, a lot less tackles, and is horrible blitzing.

Archived