Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Veldheer's post-season is still alive

17 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

I think that this may potentially quash any talk that Veldheer was going to be on the Colts' roster next season.

If he gets a Super Bowl ring, he may just finally actually retire. I could see him coming back if he doesn't though. He seemed to like the locker room and has the connection to Coach Strausser, so it's still possible if he only signed a 1 yr deal w/ GB and there's mutual interest.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

That's crazy.  How was he active and how did he play for us if he was on our practice squad?

One of several changes made to the practice squad this year where you could elevate players temporarily to play in the game (I believe to account for players being out from Covid?). They also removed the experience restriction on players on the practice squad, which is how you get a dude that is like 33 on there. I wondered why they didn't just sign him to the active roster, but I wonder if they intentionally did it like this just so he'd be able to go to another team if we got knocked out?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

I'm definitely pulling for the Pack now, he came in and did great for us in 2 games. Hope we sign him once he is done there. Seems like a great locker room guy too.

Two of my brothers are Packer fans from the 60's so they're my second favorite team.  I'm rooting hard for them to go all the way.

Would love to see Big V come back to us next year though.

• Like 1

Man I wish he’d decide he wanted to play football for us next year.

I think his performance is remarkable.  His conditioning is a marvel to me.

id like to see an article on what if anything is special about his program.  To be able play at the level he did right off the couch is astounding.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Nickster said:

id like to see an article on what if anything is special about his program.  To be able play at the level he did right off the couch is astounding.

He has played 3 games in 2 years.   That's his secret

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

As appreciative as I was for Veldheer’s contribution — he played well, certainly better than some others who have occupied that position for us — I think it’s very much in our best interest to find a more permanent solution.

He came into the league one year before the LT who just retired for us.  And, besides, this looks like a pretty good OL draft class.

2 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

As appreciative as I was for Veldheer’s contribution — he played well, certainly better than some others who have occupied that position for us — I think it’s very much in our best interest to find a more permanent solution.

He came into the league one year before the LT who just retired for us.  And, besides, this looks like a pretty good OL draft class.

Well I was not necessarily talking about as a starter and I totally agree that we need to find a more permanant solution, but we also need a more permanent solution to QB either this year or next.

We are really in a strange spot.  I hope Rivers makes his decision soon.

6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Well I was not necessarily talking about as a starter and I totally agree that we need to find a more permanant solution, but we also need a more permanent solution to QB either this year or next.

We are really in a strange spot.  I hope Rivers makes his decision soon.

I don't think it's Philip's decision, I think it's the team's - Rivers will certainly return if the Colts will have him,  and the only way I see him retiring is if the team informs him that they intend to move on.

8 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I don't think it's Philip's decision, I think it's the team's - Rivers will certainly return if the Colts will have him,  and the only way I see him retiring is if the team informs him that they intend to move on.

I thought Frank was quoted as saying something like the org wanted him back.  

Why do you think he wants to come back for sure?  I haven't seen anything that shows him saying that.

Lance said he didn't think it was Rivers decision as to whether or not Rivers is the QB next year.  I thought Frank had said Rivers was wanted back.

Lance said he thought PR was going to come back if the org wanted him.  I had not seen anything indicating that from Rivers.

Tried to eliminate some pronouns there

30 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I thought Frank was quoted as saying something like the org wanted him back.  

Why do you think he wants to come back for sure?  I haven't seen anything that shows him saying that.

Frank said that he’d like to have Rivers back.  He wasn’t speaking for the team and made a point to say that it wasn’t entirely his decision.

Ballard & Co. really need to develop a realistic understanding of their options.  And obviously it’s too soon to know with enough certainty just what those are.  Keeping Rivers is clearly not a slam dunk - or else they’d already be working on an extension, if not already have it inked.

I’m sure they have already been examining and evaluating possible QB options — FAs, trades, draft.  They also have to decide what to do with Brissett (among others at other positions).

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Frank said that he’d like to have Rivers back.  He wasn’t speaking for the team and made a point to say that it wasn’t entirely his decision.

Ballard & Co. really need to develop a realistic understanding of their options.  And obviously it’s too soon to know with enough certainty just what those are.  Keeping Rivers is clearly not a slam dunk - or else they’d already be working on an extension, if not already have it inked.

I’m sure they have already been examining and evaluating possible QB options — FAs, trades, draft.  They also have to decide what to do with Brissett (among others at other positions).

I think they have a pretty good idea, and have their choices lined up by ideal at the top. It's what it will take to pull any of those triggers that they are likely working their collective donkeys of to ascertain. Nearly every day, new events shape those costs. 

7 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I think they have a pretty good idea, and have their choices lined up by ideal at the top. It's what it will take to pull any of those triggers that they are likely working their collective donkeys of to ascertain. Nearly every day, new events shape those costs. 

I’m sure you’re right.  This isn’t their first trip around the block.  And, yeah, it’s certainly a very fluid thing.

This is a very complicated case. You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-yous. And, uh, lotta strands to keep in my head, man. 

29 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Man this seems like a pretty unwise thing for Frank to say then to me.  Does it to you?  When he said it wasn't entirely his decision I thought he was talking about PR needs to want to come back.  But yeah, that isn't necessarily the case.

I don't think PR has said he wants to play again for sure has he?

14 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I’m sure you’re right.  This isn’t their first trip around the block.  And, yeah, it’s certainly a very fluid thing.

This is a very complicated case. You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-yous. And, uh, lotta strands to keep in my head, man. 

Well you better do something to keep you mind limber Luv Pony.

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Nickster said:

He talked about it in his first press conference.  He was hiking with weighted backpacks and lifting.  I think there was more he mentioned but i don't remember.  Should be on the main site though.  I think i heard it on the official podcast

6 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

He talked about it in his first press conference.  He was hiking with weighted backpacks and lifting.  I think there was more he mentioned but i don't remember.  Should be on the main site though.  I think i heard it on the official podcast

When he does retire, he needs to open a condtioning consulting firm because I think what he did was astounding.

I backpacked all over the west in my 20s, and understand what a great full body workout that is.  It had this man in gameshape, that's for certain.

Just now, Nickster said:

When he does retire, he needs to open a condtioning consulting firm because I think what he did was astounding.

I backpacked all over the west in my 20s, and understand what a great full body workout that is.  It had this man in gameshape, that's for certain.

No doubt!

https://www.colts.com/video/jared-veldheer-retirement-joining-colts-buffalo-bills-wild-card

he starts talking about the training ay about 4:18

• Thanks 1