Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the 21st pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, the Colts select

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

What position do you think the Colts will select with their 1st round pick??

Hopefully their dominant LT of the future (I like Christian Darrisaw), a shut down corner like Patrick Surtain if he were to be there, or an uber talented QB like Trey Lance if he slid.

Hoping Ballard can work his magic and trade down a bit, add an additional 2nd or 3rd, and still get his guy. 

I don't believe the DE class is that great this year, so I would prefer dipping into FA to find a guy there. 

19 minutes ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

I wouldn't be upset if we traded it pre draft for someone who performs as well as Deforest Buckner did this year. 

What do you think about that idea Matthew???Matthew Stafford Yes GIF by Detroit Lions

I wouldn't deal a 1st round pick for him. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd though unless Reich preferred Wentz. Obviously this would all depend on what happens with Rivers. 

Not sure at all, to the OP. Depends on what happens with our FAs, and possibly new FAs we pick up.....

That said, our top needs, or top things to figure out are

Tier 1 - DE, OT, QB

Tier 2 - CB, S, WR, LB

Not really a need - TE, RB, iDL, iOL

And I'm not a big of taking WRs in the first unless you have DE/OT/QB/CB figured out. Ss or LBs either. JOK at LB might be an exception as he's a hybrid phenom. He and Leonard would make our LB core the best in the NFL. 

DE - It's a good draft for DEs. I still want to resign Houston and Autry, but if we are going to grab a DE, we need to do it in the 1st. No more 2nd or 3rd round guys. It's only T1 due to both starters being FAs. If they are both resigned, it's a T2 need. Our biggest problem along the DL is lack of blitzing IMO, not talent.

OT - AC is still under contract, but his recovery is the biggest question, bigger than his age right now. If we resign Veldheer, who did fine, this becomes a T2 need as well. Right now my gut says we resign Veldheer, and if AC recovers well, OT isn't going to be a 1st or 2nd round pick. Aside from the above, there are just so many options and shuffles we could do that could impact the OT position. 

QB - Like the two above, if Rivers is resigned, which I believe he will be, this isn't a need. Lots of options here too, and I'm sure other options will present themselves. Personally, I'll take Rivers back in a heartbeat, and I'm sure the Colts will invite him back. Comes down to what he wants.

CB - This need could easily move up if the first 3 (QB, DE, OT) are cared for prior to the draft. If they resign Rhodes, which I hope they do, they might not even consider CB in the first 2 rounds. If we're going to continue to play Charmin soft zone, not sure a press man CB like RYS is the guy. I'd move him from CB2 to FS, and Blackmon to SS. One of our biggest offseason priorities though should be able to lock Rhodes up to a 2 year contract. He fit right into our scheme. 

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

If they stayed at 21, finding a good corner would be my move

Wouldn’t break my heart at all. The needs are obvious: LT; DE; CB; TE. And......a mobile QB. But I doubt they draft a QB. 
WR needs to improve but FA is the route to do it. 
TE day 3. 

1 hour ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

I wouldn't be upset if we traded it pre draft for someone who performs as well as Deforest Buckner did this year. 

What do you think about that idea Matthew???Matthew Stafford Yes GIF by Detroit Lions

Ii say a 2nd rounder

2 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Mac Jones

No thanks. Bama qb

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Jones has several good traits 

He would be a great selection 

If we can grab him in the third round.

Just now, TimetobringDfence! said:

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

He has awesome traits. Its called he plays with NFL talent.

Who was that last Bamma QB that panned out as a pro?

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

DT or DE....  we want to add to our Waves & Waves pass rush. haha

I think we have put to many assets into the Dline with little results. I think Ballard has to reassess how he grades Dlinemen. He has not done a good job in that area

1 minute ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Who was that last Bamma QB that panned out as a pro?

Joe Namath lol

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Pick my brain...

All I hear when people trash Jones is he played for Alabama

I'm fine hearing opinions but wanna hear actual details why you don't like him and facets of his game 

How many good secondaries has he gone against? It is very hard to evaluate when your superior talent at skill positions has massive separation and you have WRs down to your #3 and #4 that would be starters in most FBS programs. 

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why do you think Holden is something special?   

Nothing in my statement implied Holden is special. In fact, I think he is merely serviceable, but looked decent in the limited sample size we got to see. Between him and Veldheer I think we could be ok.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

If we re-sign Jared Veldheer and Braden Smith, we will pick someone for pass defense, most likely DE. 

Patrick Jones, Pitt. for edge??

Veldheer came out of retirement for the second year in a row to play.  I’d say the odds are petty high he goes back into retirement.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

How many good secondaries has he gone against? It is very hard to evaluate when your superior talent at skill positions has massive separation and you have WRs down to your #3 and #4 that would be starters in most FBS programs. 

Thank you sir. His talent around him definitely helps his stock. Pending how he does around workouts and combine he should be at 21 or drop further.

43 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Jones has several good traits 

He would be a great selection 

I think it’s really hard to evaluate a guy who has played with unreal talent, especially at WR. He’s been on the superior team in every game he’s played. He might end up being a good NFL QB but I don’t think his ceiling is as high as some other QB’s. Would much rather have Wentz or Stafford.

2 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

I think it’s really hard to evaluate a guy who has played with unreal talent, especially at WR. He’s been on the superior team in every game he’s played. He might end up being a good NFL QB but I don’t think his ceiling is as high as some other QB’s. Would much rather have Wentz or Stafford.

I could tolerate Stafford but I am iffy on giving up 1

No thanks to Wentz 

Just now, danlhart87 said:

I could tolerate Stafford but I am iffy on giving up 1

No thanks to Wentz 

I'd give up a 2 or 3 for Stafford, but not a 1. As for Wentz, if we take on that contract, I'd want the Eagles first rounder with Wentz just to get him off their hands.

Archived