Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ed Dodds turns down Panthers (merge)

CR91

26 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Thatta boy!

I hope Dodds and Morroco Brown both stay in Indy

I could be wrong.  Heck, I hope I’m wrong.

But I don’t see any NFL FO guy opting, on his own accord, to stay a #2.  Most of those people want to become a GM and aren’t going to turn down the opportunity to become one (assuming it’s not a train wreck, bad owner, etc).

I saw this news and thought that Dodds was probably at or close to terms with one of his other suitors.  But I hope I’m wrong.

36 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

But I don’t see any NFL FO guy opting, on his own accord, to stay a #2.  Most of those people want to become a GM and aren’t going to turn down the opportunity to become one (assuming it’s not a train wreck, bad owner, etc).

I saw this news and thought that Dodds was probably at or close to terms with one of his other suitors.  But I hope I’m wrong.

Depends. He may not like the pressure or maybe he’s waiting for the perfect opportunity. Panthers are closer than arguably any of the other suitors but we also don’t know the full details of what his powers and limitations would be either

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

It's possible he doesn't consider it a right fit.  

But I agree, this doesn't necessarily mean he just wants to stay in his current job. . . But more likely he's looking to take that promotion into a job in which he feels he has a realistic chance of success.  

Could also be that he’s waiting for the right scenario. Unlike coaches, GM’s usually get one shot in the NFL. If you don’t land in the right spot and it doesn’t work out, that’s it. Patience is a virtue.

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Could also be that he’s waiting for the right scenario. Unlike coaches, GM’s usually get one shot in the NFL. If you don’t land in the right spot and it doesn’t work out, that’s it. Patience is a virtue.

Yeah, I agree.

I’m just saying we shouldn’t interpret this as meaning he’ll stay in Indy.  After all, he hasn’t turned down all his suitors.

24 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

After all, he hasn’t turned down all his suitors.

Can you please link to info about other suitors for Dodds? I can't find any besides the Panthers.

I was able to find plenty of speculative articles trying to link Dodds to open GM positions across the league, but as far as I can find, no other teams have requested an interview.

On another note, seeing as how he took the interview last year with Cleveland and then withdrew...and this year he took the interview with the Panthers and then withdrew...I am thinking there are two possibilities:

1. As several posters have posited - he's looking for that perfect GM opportunity and neither the Browns nor the Panthers seemed perfect to him - and he'll keep looking.

2. The Peter Principle. He's perfectly happy as Assistant GM, it's where he's operating at his absolute best, and he fully intends to stay there. He's taking the interviews as an opportunity to learn/grow so he can be an even better Assistant GM (and, perhaps, picks up some valuable intel on the competition).

I'm beginning to lean towards #2 being the correct answer. :sip:

6 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Can you please link to info about other suitors for Dodds? I can't find any besides the Panthers.

I was able to find plenty of speculative articles trying to link Dodds to open GM positions across the league, but as far as I can find, no other teams have requested an interview.

On another note, seeing as how he took the interview last year with Cleveland and then withdrew...and this year he took the interview with the Panthers and then withdrew...I am thinking there are two possibilities:

1. As several posters have posited - he's looking for that perfect GM opportunity and neither the Browns nor the Panthers seemed perfect to him - and he'll keep looking.

2. The Peter Principle. He's perfectly happy as Assistant GM, it's where he's operating at his absolute best, and he fully intends to stay there. He's taking the interviews as an opportunity to learn/grow so he can be an even better Assistant GM (and, perhaps, picks up some valuable intel on the competition).

I'm beginning to lean towards #2 being the correct answer. :sip:

For a long time - I've used the Peter Principle example.  Everyone looks at me, like -- what ancient stuff are you talking about now, old man?

• Nadine changed the title to Ed Dodds turns down Panthers (merge)
40 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I stand corrected on this.  I was thinking that Dodds was actively engaged with Detroit.  I didn't dream that.  But it's clear from what's been reported that it is only speculation.

It's being reported that he will interview with Detroit.

31 minutes ago, Superman said:

I stand corrected on this.  I was thinking that Dodds was actively engaged with Detroit.  I didn't dream that.  But it's clear from what's been reported that it is only speculation.

It's being reported that he will interview with Detroit.

Hah, it sure is! How quickly things change in the span of 2 hours.

Archived