Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CR91 1.0 Colts Offseason

According to Spotrac, the colts have 60 mil in cap space

To start, I am not re-signing Rivers. Now I am not bashing him I think he had a good season and he was an upgrade over Brissett, however I honestly feel like the 20+ contract we would have to offer him would not be worth the investment. Not the mention, it will basically take up a third of the cap nor would a trade for a QB work either because of the upcoming contracts for Nelson, Leonard, and Smith. Our only real options are either draft a QB or go with Eason.

Cut

Jack Doyle - saves 4.5 mil

AC Retiring - saves 16 mil - I can't see the colts asking him to return the money, but from a mock prospective im gonna do it.

Cap Space  - 80.5 mil

Re-sign

Xavier Rhodes - 2 year 16 mil 8 g- Rhodes produced in his first year with the colts and imo exceeded expectations. 

Justin Houston - 2 year 24 mil 11 g - Houston has been productive with his pressure rate and run defense.

T.Y Hilton - 2 year 20 mil 10 g - I still think Hilton is the leader of our WR corp and until we have a legit replacement, We need him.

Marlon Mack - 1 year 3 mil - Honestly, I can't see a big market for Mack after his injury and we can get him back for a bargain to have Mack and Taylor share the backfield. 

Jacoby Brissett - 1 year 3 mil - I honestly can't see a huge market for Brissett and I really think we can re-sign him to compete with Eason for the starting spot.

T.J Carrie - 2 year 5 mil 3 g

Al-Quandin Mohammad - 2 year 5 mil 3 g

Jared Veldheer - 1 year 3 mil

ERFA and RFA/MISC - 7 mil

Cap Space 29.5 mil

Potential FAs

JJ Watt - 2 year 26 mil 10 g Texans will most likely cut JJ to save 17.5 mil to their cap. JJ has still been productive and would be a major upgrade over Autry where we can use him inside and outside.  His numbers have dipped, but I think that has more to do with the lack of pass rushers the texans had. If Watt is washed, then its really only a one year 10 mil deal.

Zach Ertz - 2 year 13 mil 6 g - Ertz and the eagles seem to be heading for a divorce as Ertz has made it seem like he will be cut. The eagles would save almost 5 mil cutting Ertz. Ertz would return to Reich and provide a real weapon in the passing game at the TE position.

Cap Space 10 mil

I haven't done research yet for the draft, but these are our needs after FAs imo.

LT

QB

EDGE

CB

WR

I don't like going into the draft with a glaring need at QB. 

And that to me is too much money to give to both Houston and Hilton. They are both aging players. And instead of getting Watt, I would rather get a younger pass rusher at DE like Bud Dupree. 

At QB I would like to either bring back Rivers on a 1 year deal worth about 20 mil, or deal a 3rd/4th round pick for Wentz if they can get the contract to work out for the Colts. Up until this season, Wentz had outstanding stats, and could again working with Reich whom he did wonders with. 

Just now, BProland85 said:

I don't like going into the draft with a glaring need at QB. 

And that to me is too much money to give to both Houston and Hilton. They are both aging players. And instead of getting Watt, I would rather get a younger pass rusher at DE like Bud Dupree. 

At QB I would like to either bring back Rivers on a 1 year deal worth about 20 mil, or deal a 3rd/4th round pick for Wentz if they can get the contract to work out for the Colts. Up until this season, Wentz had outstanding stats, and could again working with Reich whom he did wonders with. 

Dupree is a 3-4 OLB. It's not that simple and no way the Steelers let him walk.

Again we can't do that. We give Rivers another 20 mil, we can't sign half the other guys we need to sign.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Dupree is a 3-4 OLB. It's not that simple and no way the Steelers let him walk.

Again we can't do that. We give Rivers another 20 mil, we can't sign half the other guys we need to sign.

6'4'' and 269 lbs, has size and speed, definitely has size for a 4-3 DE.

Definitely not a Jerry Hughes or Bjoern Werner tweener type.

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

To start, I am not re-signing Rivers. Now I am not bashing him I think he had a good season and he was an upgrade over Brissett, however I honestly feel like the 20+ contract we would have to offer him would not be worth the investment. Not the mention, it will basically take up a third of the cap nor would a trade for a QB work either because of the upcoming contracts for Nelson, Leonard, and Smith. Our only real options are either draft a QB or go with Eason.

Cut

AC Retiring - saves 16 mil - I can't see the colts asking him to return the money, but from a mock prospective im gonna do it.

Cap Space  - 80.5 mil

Re-sign

Xavier Rhodes - 2 year 16 mil 8 g- Rhodes produced in his first year with the colts and imo exceeded expectations. 

Justin Houston - 2 year 24 mil 11 g - Houston has been productive with his pressure rate and run defense.

T.Y Hilton - 2 year 20 mil 10 g - I still think Hilton is the leader of our WR corp and until we have a legit replacement, We need him.

Marlon Mack - 1 year 3 mil - Honestly, I can't see a big market for Mack after his injury and we can get him back for a bargain to have Mack and Taylor share the backfield. 

Jacoby Brissett - 1 year 3 mil - I honestly can't see a huge market for Brissett and I really think we can re-sign him to compete with Eason for the starting spot.

Cap Space 29.5 mil

Potential FAs

JJ Watt - 2 year 26 mil 10 g Texans will most likely cut JJ to save 17.5 mil to their cap. JJ has still been productive and would be a major upgrade over Autry where we can use him inside and outside.  His numbers have dipped, but I think that has more to do with the lack of pass rushers the texans had. If Watt is washed, then its really only a one year 10 mil deal.

Zach Ertz - 2 year 13 mil 6 g - Ertz and the eagles seem to be heading for a divorce as Ertz has made it seem like he will be cut. The eagles would save almost 5 mil cutting Ertz. Ertz would return to Reich and provide a real weapon in the passing game at the TE position.

Cap Space 10 mil

I haven't done research yet for the draft, but these are our needs after FAs imo.

LT

QB

EDGE

CB

WR

I’d let Mack and Houston walk and Im not positive Veldheer comes back, I also hope AC comes back for one more year. 

like Hilton coming back, I think he transitions to the slot. 

I would love to see Ertz here. 

Going into the draft I see Priority:

QB

LT

Edge

24 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

6'4'' and 269 lbs, has size and speed, definitely has size for a 4-3 DE.

Definitely not a Jerry Hughes or Bjoern Werner tweener type.

It's still not an easy transition also the Steelers aren't going to let him walk anyway

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

Cut

Cap Space  - 80.5 mil

Re-sign

Cap Space 29.5 mil

Potential FAs

Cap Space 10 mil

LT

QB

EDGE

CB

WR

I don't think Houston's market is more than 2 years t around 15 mill.

You also don't have Autrey mentioned ?

Castonzo , I don't believe could be even asked to "return" any money. He had no signing bonus as his compensation was salary and roster bonuses. Pretty sure this was intentional in order to avoid any "complications" if he wanted to retire or his play dramatically dropped off. 

Agree with a lot of what you have. Although I think Houston is probably gone unless he signs a very reasonable deal.

3 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I don't think Houston's market is more than 2 years t around 15 mill.

You also don't have Autrey mentioned ?

Castonzo , I don't believe could be even asked to "return" any money. He had no signing bonus as his compensation was salary and roster bonuses. Pretty sure this was intentional in order to avoid any "complications" if he wanted to retire or his play dramatically dropped off. 

Agree with a lot of what you have. Although I think Houston is probably gone unless he signs a very reasonable deal.

Houston was still productive with 8 sacks and in run defense. Also my signing of Watt makes Autry expandable.

33 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Houston was still productive with 8 sacks and in run defense. Also my signing of Watt makes Autry expandable.

5 sacks were in 2 games. I don't think the Colts will give him 22 mill for 2 years. You do and we shall see...

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

5 sacks were in 2 games. I don't think the Colts will give him 22 mill for 2 years. You do and we shall see...

There are isn't a proper replacement and we're not getting Dupree for 12 mil even if the Steelers were to let him hit the market.

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

There are isn't a proper replacement and we're not getting Dupree for 12 mil even if the Steelers were to let him hit the market.

Dupree might not even play until week 10-week 12 of next year. 

Most players are in for a rude awakening if they think they are getting paid like a normal free agency. Several teams can't even KEEP their own star players. 

Dupree will get $14-$15 million per year max after his ACL injury IMO. 

Judon/Yannick/Ingram will get around $15-$16 per too IMO. They aren't getting the $20+ they have been asking for in the past. 

5 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Dupree might not even play until week 10-week 12 of next year. 

Most players are in for a rude awakening if they think they are getting paid like a normal free agency. Several teams can't even KEEP their own star players. 

Dupree will get $14-$15 million per year max after his ACL injury IMO. 

Judon/Yannick/Ingram will get around $15-$16 per too IMO. They aren't getting the $20+ they have been asking for in the past. 

Ingram is the same age as Houston and has a history of injuries. Yannick bounced around this year which is concerning to me. Judon is mostly a run defender. Not really a pass rusher.

12 minutes ago, CR91 said:

What I said is IMO the Colts won't pony up a 2 year deal for 22 mill . I said you have his market wrong. Can we see if he gets a  deal that averages 12 mill without it really being a 1 year deal for less before you claim being right ?

Just now, dw49 said:

What I said is IMO the Colts won't pony up a 2 year deal for 22 mill . I said you have his market wrong. Can we see if he gets a  deal that averages 12 mill without it really being a 1 year deal for less before you claim being right ?

Well that's what he got before and his production hasn't really dipped.

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Ingram is the same age as Houston and has a history of injuries. Yannick bounced around this year which is concerning to me. Judon is mostly a run defender. Not really a pass rusher.

Fair point. You're probably right on Ingram. He will probably get a 1-2 year, $8-$10 million  deal for a contender like

Houston too. 

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

I appreciate your effort....but the above two things have zero chance of happening IMO. 

7 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I appreciate your effort....but the above two things have zero chance of happening IMO. 

Thanks. What team will take a risk with a RB coming off an achilles injury? Right now, Mack is damaged goods and we can get him back for a bargain. As for Brissett, it's already been proven he's not a starter. No one is gonna give him starter money.

Just now, CR91 said:

Thanks. What team will take a risk with a RB coming off an achilles injury? Right now, Mack is damaged goods and we can get him back for a bargain. As for Brissett, it's already been proven he's not a starter. No one is gonna give him starter money.

Not saying they are worth that....just saying that those scenarios are not going to happen. Both would retire before that....IMO. 

4 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Not saying they are worth that....just saying that those scenarios are not going to happen. Both would retire before that....IMO. 

Geathers tested the market and came back for like 2 mil. I just don't see a market for them. 

11 hours ago, CR91 said:

@MPStack what's the issue?

I would stay away from a bunch of declining players in there 30s. 

The short contracts are fine, but are they  realistic? :dunno:

I don’t think the Colts are close enough yet, to compete for a SB. Signing the likes of Watt and Ertz who are injury prone and older, is something you consider when very close to competing for a SB. I’d also, let Houston walk. 

The Colts need to lock the young guys up and keep chopping wood in the draft. 

3 hours ago, MPStack said:

I don’t think the Colts are close enough yet, to compete for a SB. Signing the likes of Watt and Ertz who are injury prone and older, is something you consider when very close to competing for a SB. I’d also, let Houston walk. 

Just wanted to add, my thoughts are because the QB situation is kinda in doubt at the moment. 

I liked what Rivers did this year, but will he be back and let’s face it, that last “Hail Mary” was very telling about his arm. 

However, I don’t see a lot of options for QB in 2021 other than Rivers.

We can speculate trades all day, and FA’s but it’s to early for that. 

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

Well that's what he got before and his production hasn't really dipped.

He did get that 2 years ago. But now he's 2 years older . He could get a 2 year deal , that's really a 1 year deal with all the guarantees in year one. IMO the most he would get in year one would be 9-10 mill. I think it's 8-9 is we do resign him. 

As to his production  not really dipping..

2019   44 tackles 11 sacks

2020  25 tackles  8 sacks   with 3 in one game. IMO , he was way more consistent in 2019 . 

Anyway , we shall see and I'll remember to revisit it and commend you if you are correct.

5 hours ago, dw49 said:

He did get that 2 years ago. But now he's 2 years older . He could get a 2 year deal , that's really a 1 year deal with all the guarantees in year one. IMO the most he would get in year one would be 9-10 mill. I think it's 8-9 is we do resign him. 

As to his production  not really dipping..

2019   44 tackles 11 sacks

2020  25 tackles  8 sacks   with 3 in one game. IMO , he was way more consistent in 2019 . 

Anyway , we shall see and I'll remember to revisit it and commend you if you are correct.

Perhaps I overpaid, but I still see houston get atleast 10 mil a year.

8 hours ago, MPStack said:

I still think the colts are a pretty young team. This is a team on the rise and unfortunately, we just didn't get any breaks vs the bills. Honestly, I think we're just a QB away.

5 hours ago, MPStack said:

Just wanted to add, my thoughts are because the QB situation is kinda in doubt at the moment. 

I liked what Rivers did this year, but will he be back and let’s face it, that last “Hail Mary” was very telling about his arm. 

However, I don’t see a lot of options for QB in 2021 other than Rivers.

We can speculate trades all day, and FA’s but it’s to early for that. 

I think this off-season will be dictated by what happens with Rivers. Honestly, I can't see the colts spending 20+ again especially with all the players that need to be re-signed.

Archived