Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Assets for a trade

Moosejawcolt

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, ColtV said:

The problem with that is that Nelson, Leonard, and Smith will all require sizable contracts, so the team is giving up picks and cap space. You're not likely to get the original investment back, and as mentioned, you would have to replace them. 

You’re not likely to get our original investment back?!?

Huh?

You don’t think we’d get a first for Q?  Or more?

You don’t think we’d get at least a 2 for  Darius and Smith? 

I think we’d get that and likely more. 

Good linemen are herd to come by. They are off limits for any trades. How long was our d line a mess and still is week at pass rusher. Our o line almost got Andrew Luck killed and people are talking trade linemen. My what short memory we have. People it all starts in the trenches. Without good linemen our team will become an after thought for the playoffs.

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’re not likely to get our original investment back?!?

Huh?

You don’t think we’d get a first for Q?  Or more?

You don’t think we’d get at least a 2 for  Darius and Smith? 

I think we’d get that and likely more. 

We're not getting a 6  overall for Nelson, no.

You're right, we would get 2nd's for Smith and Leonard, maybe low 1st rounders in the right situation. But that's going to be minimal return considering their draft positions(both high in the second). Let's say Buffalo offers their 1st(right now #30  overall) for Smith. Based on the value chart, that equates to a 4th rounder in gains based on original selection.  That's not enough to me to pry Smith out of here, and certainly not enough for Leonard. It definitely doesnt make it worth it because late picks like that still dont give the ammunition needed to move up for one of the top QB's.

If someone Like Arizona(who has the cap space to trade dor and then sign Smith) called and offered their #16 for Smith that would be a significant return on investment AND give the extra draft capital to make a move into the top 10 a possibility, just hard to see it when they could keep their pick and select someone like Darrisaw.

I have wondered this as well. The only place it could make any sense is OL...because the OL is about to get incredibly expensive to maintain. 

But I don’t see Ballard doing this. Trading Nelson for a couple of 1sts (if you could get it) would be an incredibly ballsy move though. 

17 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

We have some players coming due that r going to require some big money. Would u use any of those assets to acquire a young qb in the draft or a qb  currently under contract?  I would also include a #1 wr or shut down man corner.

There are very few tradeable players that have the type of value your are describing.  Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, maybe adams maybe Henry though the mileage is high.  Bosa.

nFL doesn’t work that way.

The thing about the colts is their big pieces are first team all pro type talent big pieces. Franchise changing pieces. You don’t just trade those away. Look at the texans. They traded away one of their 3 franchise changing pieces and now they’re so lost it looks like they’re atleast going to lose 2 if not all 3 now. My hoping is they trade for Stafford. Draft an OL, corner, or edge rusher in the first 2 rounds. I have complete faith in Ballard and his decisions. Whatever he decides to do will be with good reasoning. I just think the colts window for a SB is numbered and luck retiring ruined 2 of those chances. I say we have about 2-3 more seasons to find a way to get a SB. That’s just my assumption. The colts were 11-5. I think we’re just a couple pieces of way. Although people won’t agree with me I think edge rusher is our number 1 concern. Houston is older. He had 4 sacks this year. 3 coming in one game. He’s just not the same sadly. Stewart is great and so is buckner. Autry had a little bit of a down year and Mohammed played pretty well but it’s obvious we don’t get enough pressure on the QB which I think we start there before we solidly our secondary.

I'm kinda interested in what value Big Q has. If the guys doesn't want to pay LT but we end him up having to pay him like one that hurts us. Does anyone think we could get a 1st rounder for him. Or maybe we can send our 21st and Big Q to slide up in the draft and good a serviceable lineman in the deal.  

Colts offer: 21st pick & Nelson 

Trade partner offer: 6-13 pick and a good veteran OT or OG.

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

Hopefully Smith not making the pro bowl keeps his future contract down.

I wouldn't consider Smith, Nelson or Leonard trades.

I wouldnt give up Leonard the Dude is a face of the franchise elite HOFer. Heart and soul of the team. Smith is pretty damn good and fits his price tag. I think Nelson will want more than a gaurd is worth, if he doesn't want to move to LT then see what the offers are for him. Test the water.

Who would ever want to trade Nelson?  He singlehandedly transformed our OL and elevated the play of EVERYONE along the line.  He is the best player currently on our roster, and no one would compensate us equivalent to Nelson's worth.  Leonard to a lesser extent is the same thing.  Players like that you don't trade, you do everything you can to resign and keep.

29 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I'm kinda interested in what value Big Q has. If the guys doesn't want to pay LT but we end him up having to pay him like one that hurts us. Does anyone think we could get a 1st rounder for him. Or maybe we can send our 21st and Big Q to slide up in the draft and good a serviceable lineman in the deal.  

They aren't trading Nelson...but hypothetically...I think you could find a team that would give up a couple of good picks. His impending contract probably lowers his value a bit more than players that have been recently traded.

On 1/10/2021 at 1:25 PM, Patrick Miller said:

I Wonder how long it will be before we're able to get another franchise quarterback?..... Could be awhile. I miss Peyton. :)

The answer to this question is the same answer to "How many licks in a Tootsie Pop."

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Ballard said, "The locker room is watching". Do you want the message to be..."Become great....and we'll  pay you so much we have to ship you out".

They are a family. You don't do that to part of the family, especially that one. He hustles down the field to pick up his family. He is everything that every team wants to draft and develop. Trade him?

To the bolded, there is not a single way that Q hurts us. JMO....

10 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Ballard said, "The locker room is watching". Do you want the message to be..."Become great....and we'll  pay you so much we have to ship you out".

They are a family. You don't do that to part of the family, especially that one. He hustles down the field to pick up his family. He is everything that every team wants to draft and develop. Trade him?

I agree he is a great team player. But you always cant keep everyone. I honestly hope the talk of moving him to tackle is true. I think he could do it and it would help the team. Our three best linemen would be the tackles and center, then leterally and figuratively you fill the gaps.

9 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I agree he is a great team player. But you always cant keep everyone. I honestly hope the talk of moving him to tackle is true. I think he could do it and it would help the team. Our three best linemen would be the tackles and center, then leterally and figuratively you fill the gaps.

Yeah, we can find a good guard in the draft if he moves to tackle.  It might make the most sense for us.  If that were the case, we could focus on QB, DE, and MLB/Corner.

11 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I agree with everything you are saying about Qs intangibles adding to his value.  

But I do think there is a price for it.    I don't know what that price would be, but everything is for sale for the right price if I'm and NFL exec.  I don't think the "family" would break down if it were clear that the team's chances of winning were increased by trading Q.  They'd be professional about it even though some might be personally disappointed.   I think the Colts org is hampered by emotional attachments, which makes a nice special interest story, but I'd rather win.  That would make me feel good.  In principal I'm not against trading anyone except Mahomes if I had him.  

But he's due a megacontract after next year.  I don't think we could get 6th pick in the draft value by trading him.   If we could, I'd probably do it because we need a franchise QB, but players with multiple years on Rookie contracts are much more highly valued in the NFL than better players with megacontracts.

6 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Yeah, we can find a good guard in the draft if he moves to tackle.  It might make the most sense for us.  If that were the case, we could focus on QB, DE, and MLB/Corner.

I hope he can and does play LT.  That would solve alot for this org.  

I am skeptical though.  I just can't understand why a guy like him hasn't done it then.  

I am seeing some articles that are intimating that LT is not as demanding and valuable as it used to be, with offenses evolving with more mobile QBs, so maybe the talk of the difference in value of the 2 positions isn't as great as it used to be.  But currently, there is a major difference in salary between the two positions.

52 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I agree with everything you are saying about Qs intangibles adding to his value.  

But I do think there is a price for it.    I don't know what that price would be, but everything is for sale for the right price if I'm and NFL exec.  I don't think the "family" would break down if it were clear that the team's chances of winning were increased by trading Q.  They'd be professional about it even though some might be personally disappointed.   I think the Colts org is hampered by emotional attachments, which makes a nice special interest story, but I'd rather win.  That would make me feel good.  In principal I'm not against trading anyone except Mahomes if I had him.  

But he's due a megacontract after next year.  I don't think we could get 6th pick in the draft value by trading him.   If we could, I'd probably do it because we need a franchise QB, but players with multiple years on Rookie contracts are much more highly valued in the NFL than better players with megacontracts.

Not many good/ great players get traded with multiple years left on a rookie contract.    I can't think of any

19 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

20 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Not many good/ great players get traded with multiple years left on a rookie contract.    I can't think of any

Totally, there value is amplified many, many fold by the salary limitations.  

Looked up an article.  Brandin Cooks was traded with years left.  

Then there is good ol TRICH.

The article talked about Chandler Jones, but he only had a year left when dealt.

I would not trade Buckner, Lenoard, Nelson or  Smith for a high draft pick(s) so we can draft an elite QB. What good is an elite QB if you gut the core part of your team's nucleus. we had Luck and  no offensive line and he got hit a lot and that prematurely ended his career. We have a solid nucleus so why lose that for a QB pick and then flounder because you do not have the ability to surround him with talent so the team can compete. Yes we may need to look beyond Rivers at QB and for this team that is difficult given the fact that we had Peyton and Luck back to back.  

Keep the core players. CB has to decide on whether he brings River's back and perhaps use #1 pick for a QB who may sit for a year or be  groomed to step in next season if Rivers falters. Eason is still on the roster and has not been given a shot to show what he can do. We got him the 4th round and that may have been a steal of a pick for a guy who was projected to be a day 1 pick. 

QB, Tackle, TE, EDGE rusher, CB, and WR  are our needs. WE can fill these positions through the draft and FA moves.

We have no assets for trade. The great players we have are too good with no depth behind them to easily replace them with. Leonard, Buckner, Nelson, and Smith are all arguably top 5 at their positions.

A trade asset is a player on a team who is good but not good enough that they can’t be replaced. A good example is Zach Ertz. Top 3 TE but they have Goedert and TE isn’t a premium position.

On 1/10/2021 at 2:23 PM, danlhart87 said:

@Moosejawcolt

You want the Colts to trade their star RT Braden Smith who didn't allow a sack at all this year to fill a void in another spot?

That helps but then RT becomes a weakness 

Draft a mobile qb which puts less pressure on your Oline therefore less need to draft Oline men high in the draft. This team needs to pay Nelson, Kelly, Smith because we have the statue of liberty. Now fans want us to draft a LT with our 1st pick. When does it stop and when can we say pick a corner with our 1st pic? Just saying

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Draft a mobile qb which puts less pressure on your Oline therefore less need to draft Oline men high in the draft. This team needs to pay Nelson, Kelly, Smith because we have the statue of liberty. Now fans want us to draft a LT with our 1st pick. When does it stop and when can we say pick a corner with our 1st pic? Just saying

CB isn't that important IMO. The smart move whether it's in the 1st 2nd or FA is to get a LT. Theres also the chance that Q moves to LT and that opens up multiple other options.

2 hours ago, yankeeclipper said:

I would not trade Buckner, Lenoard, Nelson or  Smith for a high draft pick(s) so we can draft an elite QB. What good is an elite QB if you gut the core part of your team's nucleus. we had Luck and  no offensive line and he got hit a lot and that prematurely ended his career. We have a solid nucleus so why lose that for a QB pick and then flounder because you do not have the ability to surround him with talent so the team can compete. Yes we may need to look beyond Rivers at QB and for this team that is difficult given the fact that we had Peyton and Luck back to back.  

Keep the core players. CB has to decide on whether he brings River's back and perhaps use #1 pick for a QB who may sit for a year or be  groomed to step in next season if Rivers falters. Eason is still on the roster and has not been given a shot to show what he can do. We got him the 4th round and that may have been a steal of a pick for a guy who was projected to be a day 1 pick. 

QB, Tackle, TE, EDGE rusher, CB, and WR  are our needs. WE can fill these positions through the draft and FA moves.

Would u say Allan, Mahommes, Rodgers even Tanehill play behind elite offensive lines? Crap, the Browns have an elite Oline and I dont think they are all high picks. When is the coaching staff going to develop players on both the D and O line? I am not seeing it.

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Would u say Allan, Mahommes, Rodgers even Tanehill play behind elite offensive lines? Crap, the Browns have an elite Oline and I dont think they are all high picks. When is the coaching staff going to develop players on both the D and O line? I am not seeing it.

Yes all of the above play behind great OL

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

CB isn't that important IMO. The smart move whether it's in the 1st 2nd or FA is to get a LT. Theres also the chance that Q moves to LT and that opens up multiple other options.

Nelson isn't going to LT. If he was all world, the move would have been made in college. Interesting that everyone critisized the Chargers Oline last year. Rivers leaves and then enters mobile qb. Rivers needs to go. He is what he is. Jags and Texans have franchise qbs, if Lawrence pans out. Tannehil does his jobs. Getting 11 wins is going to be very tough if we go in with the same team. I would prefer to take a step back next year, new qb, to take a step forward for the future. I thought they should have done it this year. However, Ballard thought he had a superbowl team. He traded for Buckner and signed Rivers. People laud Ballard , however, I feel he values his own picks to high.

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Yes all of the above play behind great OL

Really?

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Browns drafted Wills and signed Conklin which helped their line be elite 

Archived