Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

We have some players coming due that r going to require some big money. Would u use any of those assets to acquire a young qb in the draft or a qb  currently under contract?  I would also include a #1 wr or shut down man corner.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you're talking about Nelson, Leonard, and Smith, no I would not trade any of them.

If they trade those assists you’ll be the first person to blame Ballard for trading those players and creating a hole because they didn’t have a replacement.

Who would ever want to trade Nelson?  He singlehandedly transformed our OL and elevated the play of EVERYONE along the line.  He is the best player currently on our roster, and no one would compensate

18 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

We have some players coming due that r going to require some big money. Would u use any of those assets to acquire a young qb in the draft or a qb  currently under contract?  I would also include a #1 wr or shut down man corner.

Nuts

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Buckner. 

 

We already locked him up for like the next 5 years with that big contract.  The way @Moosejawcolt worded his post, I assumed he was talking about guys whose rookie contract was almost up, and trading them before having to sign them to a big contract.

 

But even if Moose was including Buckner, I wouldn't trade him either.  Buckner and Leonard are necessary for our defense to work.  Nelson and Smith are necessary to have a great OLine and make the offense work.  These are foundational guys that we WANT on our team for the next 4 years.  We don't trade any of them away.

 

Also, any QB coming into Indy is gonna want those guys on his team.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

We already locked him up for like the next 5 years with that big contract.  The way @Moosejawcolt worded his post, I assumed he was talking about guys whose rookie contract was almost up, and trading them before having to sign them to a big contract.

 

But even if Moose was including Buckner, I wouldn't trade him either.  Buckner and Leonard are necessary for our defense to work.  Nelson and Smith are necessary to have a great OLine and make the offense work.  These are foundational guys that we WANT on our team for the next 4 years.  We don't trade any of them away.

 

Also, any QB coming into Indy is gonna want those guys on his team.

U r correct. Guys coming off their rookie deals; Nelson, Leonard and Smith

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

If you're talking about Nelson, Leonard, and Smith, no I would not trade any of them.

I rather bring in a cheap QB like Fitz and free up space to let Ballard keep drafting young talent and signing our own. We need our oline and D core. We might not resign Houston, Walker, or Rhodes sadly we cant keep em all.

9 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

We already locked him up for like the next 5 years with that big contract.  The way @Moosejawcolt worded his post, I assumed he was talking about guys whose rookie contract was almost up, and trading them before having to sign them to a big contract.

 

But even if Moose was including Buckner, I wouldn't trade him either.  Buckner and Leonard are necessary for our defense to work.  Nelson and Smith are necessary to have a great OLine and make the offense work.  These are foundational guys that we WANT on our team for the next 4 years.  We don't trade any of them away.

 

Also, any QB coming into Indy is gonna want those guys on his team.

I wish we could get a shot at signing Prescott.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with that is that Nelson, Leonard, and Smith will all require sizable contracts, so the team is giving up picks and cap space. You're not likely to get the original investment back, and as mentioned, you would have to replace them. 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ColtV said:

The problem with that is that Nelson, Leonard, and Smith will all require sizable contracts, so the team is giving up picks and cap space. You're not likely to get the original investment back, and as mentioned, you would have to replace them. 

That being said, I bet the one with the most trade value is Smith

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ColtV said:

Because he plays tackle?

 

1 minute ago, ColtV said:

Because he plays tackle?

Yup. Nelson is a guard and 1st team all pro or not, I doubt a team would give up a lot. Some teams dont value the linebacker postion that high. They see it as interchangable ad do I. Leonard is undersized and built for this scheme.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The sad thing is Nelson is probably the one that would be easiest to replace. Could we get another Leonard in the draft. He is to much of a vocal leader I think go get rid of him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

 

Yup. Nelson is a guard and 1st team all pro or not, I doubt a team would give up a lot. Some teams dont value the linebacker postion that high. They see it as interchangable ad do I. Leonard is undersized and built for this scheme.

I could see it if the plan is to move up and get a qb, I just don't believe that Ballard would do it. The Buckner trade last year indicated that he wasn't interested in a long term rebuild. Not saying its the wrong move, I'm firmly in the camp that without a franchise qb you are always going to be behind the 8-ball, but I don't think he makes the move. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

That being said, I bet the one with the most trade value is Smith

 

I mean, if the point is to move up in the draft for that QB, I'd just use other draft picks to balance out the trade.  I wouldn't trade away one of the best players on the team, and especially a player that would be a huge asset for the new QB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you wait until the end of today, there’ll be 3 more fan bases willing to trade half their team and coaches because they also want to retool their playoff caliber team.

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

We have some players coming due that r going to require some big money. Would u use any of those assets to acquire a young qb in the draft or a qb  currently under contract?  I would also include a #1 wr or shut down man corner.

 

Absolutely. 

No position is nearly as important as a Franchise/or Elite QB. We seen that yesterday vs Allen. He impressed me.

The thing is you have to correctly identify your target. 

 

Good GM's don't fall in love with their players. They need to be looked at as assets. And if you have to move some of your assets to acquire a more important asset,like a franchise QB,  then you do so. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

@Moosejawcolt

 

You want the Colts to trade their star RT Braden Smith who didn't allow a sack at all this year to fill a void in another spot?

 

That helps but then RT becomes a weakness 

I didnt say trade him. In fact out of Nelson and Leonard, he is probably the one I would not trade

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

Absolutely. 

No position is nearly as important as a Franchise/or Elite QB. We seen that yesterday vs Allen. He impressed me.

The thing is you have to correctly identify your target. 

 

Good GM's don't fall in love with their players. They need to be looked at as assets. And if you have to move some of your assets to acquire a more important asset,like a franchise QB,  then you do so. 

Nobody on this roster is bringing us a franchise qb

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Autry is FA

Damn we have so many FAs on D this season. Houston, Rhodes, Hooker, Walker, and apparently Autry. I'm sure there is more. We can use a one year option/extension on Leonard right?

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Nobody on this roster is bringing us a franchise qb

Not anyone that's worth giving up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TimetobringDfence! said:

Damn we have so many FAs on D this season. Houston, Rhodes, Hooker, Walker, and apparently Autry. I'm sure there is more. We can use a one year option/extension on Leonard right?

No, Leonard was a second round pick

1 minute ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Damn we have so many FAs on D this season. Houston, Rhodes, Hooker, Walker, and apparently Autry. I'm sure there is more. We can use a one year option/extension on Leonard right?

Not anyone that's worth giving up.

No one player on this roster is bringing a franchise qb

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Shive changed the title to Assets for a trade

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • There IS another possibility. Let’s say your scenario plays out just as suggested:  the Colts draft a LT who isn’t quite ready ( 2nd rounder ); Tevi opens the season as the starter; BUT, Tevi proves to be a turnstile. What to do? Big Q to the rescue. In a pinch, why not? You do it until your rookie is ready for the full time job and fill in at LG with one of the backups like Pinter. The opposition to moving Q to LT is far less convincing if Plan A has bombed. 
    • That is why he wants to leave, you are making it about something else.  You are the one out in left field here   The coaching situation is one small part of this, not the whole story by a long shot The coach they hired is black , it isn't about race
    • Well if you are going to use stats to make a point, yes it is important how they are measured. So now that you aren't using them I'm guessing my point on separation stat was true.   -My last post on the subject
    • I'm thinking the reason these Watson topics get locked is because the conversation starts veering into opinions about matters that are not relevant.  In this case, what Easterby is or isn't, and therefore by extension what HOU is or isn't by their employment of him.  Your opinion is determined by whatever lens you own, not proven facts.  Apparently, the locker room and NFL have a diverse set of lenses whereby some things are bigger deals to some players and not such a big deal to others.   It seems some support Watson holding out for a trade because their lens shows them that HOU is bad for the reasons of Easterby and McNair.    So they are supporting Watson holding out for a trade, but, its for different reason than Watson has expressed.   That's why I was wondering why irrelevant topics are being brought into a discussion about Watson and the reasons motivating a trade.  His reasons need to be understood because they would carry on to another owner.  Its not about the reasons we think he should want one, or the reasons why JJWatt thinks he should want one.    Watson's reasons are clearly about EB.  And if Watson is linking Bienemy to a violation of the Rooney Rule, the Rooney Rule has been around for about 15 years and the Texans have complied.  Its almost like he's taken a 3 minute look at the EB situation and expressed a public hot take conclusion without even knowing the Texans record of complying with the Rooney Rule.            
    • I agree what did most pundits say that we had the most complete roster in football last season.  Why, because Ballard built that through the draft for the most part and it hasn't put the team in salary cap hell like many other teams that don't even have the roster that we have so the credit goes to Ballard. 
  • Members

    • AwesomeAustin

      AwesomeAustin 680

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • dew5150

      dew5150 112

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • cjrichard

      cjrichard 56

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Southside Hoosier Fan

      Southside Hoosier Fan 65

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jvan1973

      jvan1973 5,472

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ar7

      ar7 273

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Tsarquise

      Tsarquise 449

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • dw49

      dw49 721

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • stitches

      stitches 8,376

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • TheMiz

      TheMiz 263

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...