Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Assets for a trade

Moosejawcolt

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

We have some players coming due that r going to require some big money. Would u use any of those assets to acquire a young qb in the draft or a qb  currently under contract?  I would also include a #1 wr or shut down man corner.

Nuts

3 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Buckner. 

We already locked him up for like the next 5 years with that big contract.  The way @Moosejawcolt worded his post, I assumed he was talking about guys whose rookie contract was almost up, and trading them before having to sign them to a big contract.

But even if Moose was including Buckner, I wouldn't trade him either.  Buckner and Leonard are necessary for our defense to work.  Nelson and Smith are necessary to have a great OLine and make the offense work.  These are foundational guys that we WANT on our team for the next 4 years.  We don't trade any of them away.

Also, any QB coming into Indy is gonna want those guys on his team.

6 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

We already locked him up for like the next 5 years with that big contract.  The way @Moosejawcolt worded his post, I assumed he was talking about guys whose rookie contract was almost up, and trading them before having to sign them to a big contract.

But even if Moose was including Buckner, I wouldn't trade him either.  Buckner and Leonard are necessary for our defense to work.  Nelson and Smith are necessary to have a great OLine and make the offense work.  These are foundational guys that we WANT on our team for the next 4 years.  We don't trade any of them away.

U r correct. Guys coming off their rookie deals; Nelson, Leonard and Smith

31 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

If you're talking about Nelson, Leonard, and Smith, no I would not trade any of them.

I rather bring in a cheap QB like Fitz and free up space to let Ballard keep drafting young talent and signing our own. We need our oline and D core. We might not resign Houston, Walker, or Rhodes sadly we cant keep em all.

9 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I wish we could get a shot at signing Prescott.

The problem with that is that Nelson, Leonard, and Smith will all require sizable contracts, so the team is giving up picks and cap space. You're not likely to get the original investment back, and as mentioned, you would have to replace them. 

Just now, ColtV said:

The problem with that is that Nelson, Leonard, and Smith will all require sizable contracts, so the team is giving up picks and cap space. You're not likely to get the original investment back, and as mentioned, you would have to replace them. 

That being said, I bet the one with the most trade value is Smith

1 minute ago, ColtV said:

Because he plays tackle?

1 minute ago, ColtV said:

Because he plays tackle?

Yup. Nelson is a guard and 1st team all pro or not, I doubt a team would give up a lot. Some teams dont value the linebacker postion that high. They see it as interchangable ad do I. Leonard is undersized and built for this scheme.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yup. Nelson is a guard and 1st team all pro or not, I doubt a team would give up a lot. Some teams dont value the linebacker postion that high. They see it as interchangable ad do I. Leonard is undersized and built for this scheme.

I could see it if the plan is to move up and get a qb, I just don't believe that Ballard would do it. The Buckner trade last year indicated that he wasn't interested in a long term rebuild. Not saying its the wrong move, I'm firmly in the camp that without a franchise qb you are always going to be behind the 8-ball, but I don't think he makes the move. 

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

That being said, I bet the one with the most trade value is Smith

I mean, if the point is to move up in the draft for that QB, I'd just use other draft picks to balance out the trade.  I wouldn't trade away one of the best players on the team, and especially a player that would be a huge asset for the new QB.

5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

We have some players coming due that r going to require some big money. Would u use any of those assets to acquire a young qb in the draft or a qb  currently under contract?  I would also include a #1 wr or shut down man corner.

Absolutely. 

No position is nearly as important as a Franchise/or Elite QB. We seen that yesterday vs Allen. He impressed me.

The thing is you have to correctly identify your target. 

Good GM's don't fall in love with their players. They need to be looked at as assets. And if you have to move some of your assets to acquire a more important asset,like a franchise QB,  then you do so. 

43 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Absolutely. 

No position is nearly as important as a Franchise/or Elite QB. We seen that yesterday vs Allen. He impressed me.

The thing is you have to correctly identify your target. 

Good GM's don't fall in love with their players. They need to be looked at as assets. And if you have to move some of your assets to acquire a more important asset,like a franchise QB,  then you do so. 

Nobody on this roster is bringing us a franchise qb

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Autry is FA

Damn we have so many FAs on D this season. Houston, Rhodes, Hooker, Walker, and apparently Autry. I'm sure there is more. We can use a one year option/extension on Leonard right?

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Nobody on this roster is bringing us a franchise qb

Not anyone that's worth giving up.

Just now, TimetobringDfence! said:

Damn we have so many FAs on D this season. Houston, Rhodes, Hooker, Walker, and apparently Autry. I'm sure there is more. We can use a one year option/extension on Leonard right?

No, Leonard was a second round pick

1 minute ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Not anyone that's worth giving up.

No one player on this roster is bringing a franchise qb

Archived