Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich Coaching Decisions Post-game Takes(Mega Merge)


Recommended Posts

1. Under Reich, the Colts made it into the playoffs. He deserves credit for that. 

 

2. Against a very good team (favored to win) Reich brought the team back within 3 points.

 

3. The decision to go for 2 wasn't great, but overall, it was made up for by the successful 2-pont attempt later in the game.

 

4. When the plays needed to be made, we went 0-4 passing (including drops).

 

The Colts played a hell of a game. The Bills were slightly better.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All heat directed towards Reich for this loss is well deserved. He cost us the game.     

I put this loss mostly on Reich.  Lots of players to blame as well, but mostly Reich.    

People are blaming Frank because so far hasn't shown the ability to learn from his mistakes as the season goes on. Frank has a hard time getting too greedy instead of taking the points. When that coul

Its simple, Franks over aggressiveness bit us on the behind. Some people are fans of it some are not. In this case it cost us 4 points and the win.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t imagine Frank is down on the touch line looking at replays of the catch, isn’t someone upstairs looking at the replay and communicating down to him whether to challenge it or not? 
 

Why does the head coach get abuse for the challenge when it comes from someone else

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, bad decision making, don't go for it on 4th down in the 1st quarter, you could of had 3 pts; bad calls, no catches, bad passes, missed field goals or extra point...etc.... not ready for the win.  Oh, too many penalties.  They could of should have won this game w/o all these bad coaching decisions.  :(

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

With your attitude, you as a Colts fan deserved to lose this game and not make the playoffs for the forseeable future if you like Reich. Anyone who still wants to keep Reich after this game I include in this. Not personal, just the truth.

 I guess it depends on your perspective: people that talk about his “bad play calling “, don’t give him credit for all of the good calls during the year to get us in the playoffs. Nor, do they consider bad execution of a play that would have worked. 
  We’re all disappointed and it’s pretty common to hear knee jerk reactions, borne out of frustration. 
  I’m okay with Frank and Ballard. A good draft will help. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Only Reich haters would blame him for this loss. He made one questionable call and that the first two point conversion. Colts could have folded after Buffalo went up double digits, but fought back. That's coaching and culture. Buffalo was just a bit better. But we are RIGHT THERE!! 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, coltsfeva said:

 I guess it depends on your perspective: people that talk about his “bad play calling “, don’t give him credit for all of the good calls during the year to get us in the playoffs. Nor, do they consider bad execution of a play that would have worked. 
  We’re all disappointed and it’s pretty common to hear knee jerk reactions, borne out of frustration. 
  I’m okay with Frank and Ballard. A good draft will help. 

the time outs were the killer no way around it he challenged a play that wasnt even close to being close .  you dont call timeout before the two minute warning in case it gets to the point the colts need one more play over the middle .  one time out left the colts can throw over the middle and get in range

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that I’m blaming the players at all because I do think it’s on Reich but I remember Rex Ryan saying on a talk show or something as an analyst “Rookies get you beat” and I couldn’t help but think about that after our rookies made a few uncharacteristic critical mistakes in this game. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On the going for first down vs. field goal in the first:  I think they when you have the momentum, or lead, take the field goal.  That bad thing about a play like that.  If the defense holds, it seems that there is always a shift in momentum.  The momentum shift is almost more important than the points.

 

It seems the team that takes over, they almost always go down and score.

 

 Very winnable game.  Bills made the more clutch plays. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pure coaching loss.  A few drops, execution errors, etc.  Bur we did enough to win.  No fg attempt in the first half and the 2 pt try in the second.....that's it.  Sorry but the head coach didn't put his team in the best position to win the game.  If he did and the execution failed that's a different conversation, but out of the gate Frank's decisions put us in a position to play catch up.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, coming on strong said:

the time outs were the killer no way around it he challenged a play that wasnt even close to being close .  you dont call timeout before the two minute warning in case it gets to the point the colts need one more play over the middle .  one time out left the colts can throw over the middle and get in range

100 percent agree! He’s time management has always been an issue. I’ve noticed it his first season here. He calls timeouts at some of the weirdest times. It’s like he panics to get a play call in. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's not (just) Frank. Overall we played well and it was a competitive game which we actually had the chance to win. We just made too many mistakes and unforced errors... from Frank to Turay to Blankenship to Taylor. It's kind of amazing that we were driving for the win with so many blunders along the way. 

you dont think frank not making them practice played a part in them being rusty and making mistakes?  doing walkthroughs with rookies is not a great idea

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone had a little blame. Literally one or two things go our way it's a W.

 

We should've recovered that fumble by Allen.

Should've made the FG.

There were a few nice 3rd and longs where we did our 'bend and break the fanbase' cushions.

 

Ugh, we almost had it, weren't good enough to beat the #2 having those things happen (plus more).

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's not (just) Frank. Overall we played well and it was a competitive game which we actually had the chance to win. We just made too many mistakes and unforced errors... from Frank to Turay to Blankenship to Taylor. It's kind of amazing that we were driving for the win with so many blunders along the 

I agree this game wasnt solely on Frank. But I can give the players a chance to grow. Frank stuck with Vinny when he was toasted and cost us three games. This year he made so many bad coaching decisions he cost us more games. The man has proven he is a liability back to back seasons. Time to find a new man that can make good coaching decisions and manage a clock correctly. And utilize personel correctly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Being the only team to lose to the 1 loss Jaguars cost us the division and a home game. Frank has shown that he has struggles with the Jaguars (Texans too). Well either Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields is headed there.  We better make sure we’re right on our next QB & on Frank.  Because if we trade for a Wentz or Darnold, I can see us regressing to the bottom of the division over the next few years. This upcoming offseason is gonna be critical to our success or lack there of over the next 5-10 years.
 

I know Ballard is watching closely. He’s gonna have to make some tough calls.  I say we trade up and go get our QB in this draft.  I want Fields.  If not him, then just get somebody with some mobility. I’m sure Frank is quietly frustrated because he has to make the perfect calls all game because Rivers is not gonna extend any plays or go off script and get us those first downs with his legs or throws off of scrambles. Allen ate us alive with his mobility today. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

statistics probably told them they had a better than not chance of scoring from inside the 5, but didn't tell them whether or not it was needed at that point in the game. same with the 2 point conversion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

Being the only team to lose to the 1 loss Jaguars cost us the division and a home game. Frank has shown that he has struggles with the Jaguars (Texans too). Well either Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields is headed there.  We better make sure we’re right on our next QB & on Frank.  Because if we trade for a Wentz or Darnold, I can see us regressing to the bottom of the division over the next few years. This upcoming offseason is gonna be critical to our success or lack there of over the next 5-10 years.
 

I know Ballard is watching closely. He’s gonna have to make some tough calls.  I say we trade up and go get our QB in this draft.  I want Fields.  If not him, then just get somebody with some mobility. I’m sure Frank is quietly frustrated because he has to make the perfect calls all game because Rivers is not gonna extend any plays or go off script and get us those first downs with his legs or throws off of scrambles. Allen ate us alive with his mobility today. 

Rivers was the guy frank asked for. Reich is the problem not the players. I admit we had some drops and rivers missed some throws, but frank consistently makes bad calls every game win or loss.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My only issues with coaching today was indeed the failed challenges. That might be on Reich or it might be on a booth guy. But both seemed obviously to be correct calls to me, and that kills. But we still had a chance without them. I guess I also didn't like the run for the failed 2pt attempt either. 

 

Other than that I liked the playcalling today. I don't mind the 4th down attempts or the 2pt conversion idea. It's a shame we lost but I know the truth. No one issue lost us this game, we lose this game by a hair. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

The lost challenge costing us a timeout was really dumb 

Did you see noodle arm not make it to the end zone on the Haily marry pass? I bet Brissett could've mad it to the endzone at least. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, funktacious2 said:

My only issues with coaching today was indeed the failed challenges. That might be on Reich or it might be on a booth guy. But both seemed obviously to be correct calls to me, and that kills. But we still had a chance without them. I guess I also didn't like the run for the failed 2pt attempt either. 

 

Other than that I liked the playcalling today. I don't mind the 4th down attempts or the 2pt conversion idea. It's a shame we lost but I know the truth. No one issue lost us this game, we lose this game by a hair. 

you just pointed out the two reasons why we lost the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, a06cc said:

100 percent agree! He’s time management has always been an issue. I’ve noticed it his first season here. He calls timeouts at some of the weirdest times. It’s like he panics to get a play call in. 

or if frank kicks the field goal instead of going for it on 4th and 4 yards we are going to overtime .  i  would go for it on the 1 if its 4th down but on the 4 you take out the run game and force rivers to throw it into the bills playing the pass with the safeties playing right on our guys . its not a good look

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • SteelCityColt changed the title to Reich Coaching Decisions Post-game Takes(Mega Merge)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Second Round picks (Final)   33) Bengals (trade with Jacksonville Jaguars 7:00 @stitches. -- Micah Parsons  PENN STATE  6.89  LB     34) New York Jets @Archer -- Quinn Meinerz  WIS.-WHITEWATER   C   35) Atlanta Falcons @jvan1973 -- Levi Onwuzurike  WASHINGTON  DT  36) Miami Dolphins (from Houston Texans) 7:15@EastStreet -- Landon Dickerson  ALABAMA  C 37) Philadelphia Eagles 7:20 @Defjamz26  Eric Stokes  GEORGIA   CB  38) Jacksonville (trade Cincinnati Bengals) @chad72  Kadarius Toney  FLORIDA  6.36    WR     39) Carolina Panthers 7:30 @MPStack Creed Humphrey  OKLAHOMA   C 40) Denver Broncos 7:35@ColtsGermany  Zaven Collins  TULSA   41) Detroit Lions 7:50@RNGDShobby-- Jaelan Phillips  MIAMI (FLA.)  EDGE  42) New York Giants 7:55 @DiogoSales -- Payton Turner  HOUSTON   DE     43) San Francisco 49ers 8:00 @BProland85 -- Aaron Robinson  UCF    CB     44) Dallas Cowboys @luv_pony_express -- Joe Tryon  WASHINGTON   EDGE 45) Jacksonville Jaguars (from Minnesota Vikings) @chad72 -- Tommy Tremble  NOTRE DAME  TE   46) New England Patriots @Nickster -- Kyle Trask  FLORIDA  QB 47) Los Angeles Chargers @PRnum1 -- Jevon Holland  OREGON  6.25    SAF     48) Las Vegas Raiders Commissioner's pick@chad72 Ifeatu Melifonwu  SYRACUSE   CB 49) Arizona Cardinals 9:00@JoeThornburg Kendrick Green  ILLINOIS  G 50) Miami Dolphins 9:05.@EastStreet Rondale Moore  PURDUE     WR 51) Washington Football Team @Coltsman1788 -- Pat Freiermuth  PENN STATE    TE 52) Chicago Bears 9:15 Commissioner's pick @EastStreet Tyson Campbell  GEORGIA  CB 53) Tennessee Titans @Jared Cisneros Tylan Wallace  OKLAHOMA STATE  WR     54) Indianapolis Colts @WarGhost21 -- Greg Rousseau  MIAMI (FLA.)  EDGE  55) Pittsburgh Steelers @JoeThornburg -- Alex Leatherwood  ALABAMA   OT     56) Seattle Seahawks Commissioner's pick@EastStreet -- Boogie Basham  WAKE FOREST  6.29    DE   57) Los Angeles Rams 9:50. Commissioner's pick @chad72 Jamin Davis  KENTUCKY   LB   58) Baltimore Ravens 9:55. @JediXMan Joseph Ossai  TEXAS  EDGE   59) Cleveland Browns 10:00. @RNGDShobby Paulson Adebo  STANFORD  CB     60) New Orleans Saints 10:05. @SaturdayAllDay Nick Bolton  MISSOURI  6.33    LB     61) Buffalo Bills 10:10. Commissioner's pick @EastStreetChris Rumph Ii  DUKE  EDGE   62) Green Bay Packers 10:15. @DiogoSales Nico Collins  MICHIGAN   WR  63) Tennessee Titans (from KC) 10:20. @Jared Cisneros Asante Samuel Jr.  FLORIDA STATE  CB  64) Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10:25. @jvan1973  Aaron Banks  NOTRE DAME  6.29    G  
    • Its raining stupid up in here where's my dumbrella .
    • Updated list of Picks traded Third round: #65 Chiefs (from Jaguars) #79 Giants (from Raiders) #80 Giants (from Raiders) #91 Colts (from Browns) #92 Jacksonville (from GB) #94 Jacksonville (from Kansas City) #100 Jacksonville (via trade with Kansas City from Titans)   4th round and later #106 Green Bay (from Jacksonville) #111 Jacksonville (from Bengals) #116 Raiders (from Giants)   $136 Jacksonville (from Kansas City)   #165 Browns (from Colts) #175 Titans (from Chiefs)
    • The Pittsburgh Steelers propose a trade with the Houston Texans @Qwiz for the #67 pick. The Steelers offer pick #87, #128
    • And here is basically the same story,  but this one is from the Colts perspective, put out by Colts.com   So, a reminder of who we play at home (9 games) and who we play on the road (8 games).   Enjoy!!   https://www.colts.com/news/2021-nfl-schedule-release-new-england-patriots-tampa-bay-buccaneers-may-12
  • Members

    • Wentzszn

      Wentzszn 10,036

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • w87r

      w87r 5,358

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Moe

      Moe 37

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • BigO

      BigO 59

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CoachLite

      CoachLite 416

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 9,981

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jchandler7

      jchandler7 183

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DoubleE Colt

      DoubleE Colt 50

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • James

      James 376

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Clem-Dog

      Clem-Dog 137

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...