Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich Coaching Decisions Post-game Takes(Mega Merge)

EastStreet

1. Under Reich, the Colts made it into the playoffs. He deserves credit for that. 

2. Against a very good team (favored to win) Reich brought the team back within 3 points.

3. The decision to go for 2 wasn't great, but overall, it was made up for by the successful 2-pont attempt later in the game.

4. When the plays needed to be made, we went 0-4 passing (including drops).

The Colts played a hell of a game. The Bills were slightly better.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not (just) Frank. Overall we played well and it was a competitive game which we actually had the chance to win. We just made too many mistakes and unforced errors... from Frank to Turay to Blankenship to Taylor. It's kind of amazing that we were driving for the win with so many blunders along the way. 

I can’t imagine Frank is down on the touch line looking at replays of the catch, isn’t someone upstairs looking at the replay and communicating down to him whether to challenge it or not? 

Why does the head coach get abuse for the challenge when it comes from someone else

I agree, bad decision making, don't go for it on 4th down in the 1st quarter, you could of had 3 pts; bad calls, no catches, bad passes, missed field goals or extra point...etc.... not ready for the win.  Oh, too many penalties.  They could of should have won this game w/o all these bad coaching decisions.  :(

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

With your attitude, you as a Colts fan deserved to lose this game and not make the playoffs for the forseeable future if you like Reich. Anyone who still wants to keep Reich after this game I include in this. Not personal, just the truth.

I guess it depends on your perspective: people that talk about his “bad play calling “, don’t give him credit for all of the good calls during the year to get us in the playoffs. Nor, do they consider bad execution of a play that would have worked. 
  We’re all disappointed and it’s pretty common to hear knee jerk reactions, borne out of frustration. 
  I’m okay with Frank and Ballard. A good draft will help. 

Only Reich haters would blame him for this loss. He made one questionable call and that the first two point conversion. Colts could have folded after Buffalo went up double digits, but fought back. That's coaching and culture. Buffalo was just a bit better. But we are RIGHT THERE!! 

1 minute ago, coltsfeva said:

I guess it depends on your perspective: people that talk about his “bad play calling “, don’t give him credit for all of the good calls during the year to get us in the playoffs. Nor, do they consider bad execution of a play that would have worked. 
  We’re all disappointed and it’s pretty common to hear knee jerk reactions, borne out of frustration. 
  I’m okay with Frank and Ballard. A good draft will help. 

the time outs were the killer no way around it he challenged a play that wasnt even close to being close .  you dont call timeout before the two minute warning in case it gets to the point the colts need one more play over the middle .  one time out left the colts can throw over the middle and get in range

Not that I’m blaming the players at all because I do think it’s on Reich but I remember Rex Ryan saying on a talk show or something as an analyst “Rookies get you beat” and I couldn’t help but think about that after our rookies made a few uncharacteristic critical mistakes in this game. 

On the going for first down vs. field goal in the first:  I think they when you have the momentum, or lead, take the field goal.  That bad thing about a play like that.  If the defense holds, it seems that there is always a shift in momentum.  The momentum shift is almost more important than the points.

It seems the team that takes over, they almost always go down and score.

Very winnable game.  Bills made the more clutch plays. 

Pure coaching loss.  A few drops, execution errors, etc.  Bur we did enough to win.  No fg attempt in the first half and the 2 pt try in the second.....that's it.  Sorry but the head coach didn't put his team in the best position to win the game.  If he did and the execution failed that's a different conversation, but out of the gate Frank's decisions put us in a position to play catch up.

Just now, coming on strong said:

the time outs were the killer no way around it he challenged a play that wasnt even close to being close .  you dont call timeout before the two minute warning in case it gets to the point the colts need one more play over the middle .  one time out left the colts can throw over the middle and get in range

100 percent agree! He’s time management has always been an issue. I’ve noticed it his first season here. He calls timeouts at some of the weirdest times. It’s like he panics to get a play call in. 

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's not (just) Frank. Overall we played well and it was a competitive game which we actually had the chance to win. We just made too many mistakes and unforced errors... from Frank to Turay to Blankenship to Taylor. It's kind of amazing that we were driving for the win with so many blunders along the way. 

you dont think frank not making them practice played a part in them being rusty and making mistakes?  doing walkthroughs with rookies is not a great idea

Everyone had a little blame. Literally one or two things go our way it's a W.

We should've recovered that fumble by Allen.

Should've made the FG.

There were a few nice 3rd and longs where we did our 'bend and break the fanbase' cushions.

Ugh, we almost had it, weren't good enough to beat the #2 having those things happen (plus more).

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's not (just) Frank. Overall we played well and it was a competitive game which we actually had the chance to win. We just made too many mistakes and unforced errors... from Frank to Turay to Blankenship to Taylor. It's kind of amazing that we were driving for the win with so many blunders along the 

I agree this game wasnt solely on Frank. But I can give the players a chance to grow. Frank stuck with Vinny when he was toasted and cost us three games. This year he made so many bad coaching decisions he cost us more games. The man has proven he is a liability back to back seasons. Time to find a new man that can make good coaching decisions and manage a clock correctly. And utilize personel correctly.

Being the only team to lose to the 1 loss Jaguars cost us the division and a home game. Frank has shown that he has struggles with the Jaguars (Texans too). Well either Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields is headed there.  We better make sure we’re right on our next QB & on Frank.  Because if we trade for a Wentz or Darnold, I can see us regressing to the bottom of the division over the next few years. This upcoming offseason is gonna be critical to our success or lack there of over the next 5-10 years.

I know Ballard is watching closely. He’s gonna have to make some tough calls.  I say we trade up and go get our QB in this draft.  I want Fields.  If not him, then just get somebody with some mobility. I’m sure Frank is quietly frustrated because he has to make the perfect calls all game because Rivers is not gonna extend any plays or go off script and get us those first downs with his legs or throws off of scrambles. Allen ate us alive with his mobility today. 

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

Being the only team to lose to the 1 loss Jaguars cost us the division and a home game. Frank has shown that he has struggles with the Jaguars (Texans too). Well either Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields is headed there.  We better make sure we’re right on our next QB & on Frank.  Because if we trade for a Wentz or Darnold, I can see us regressing to the bottom of the division over the next few years. This upcoming offseason is gonna be critical to our success or lack there of over the next 5-10 years.

I know Ballard is watching closely. He’s gonna have to make some tough calls.  I say we trade up and go get our QB in this draft.  I want Fields.  If not him, then just get somebody with some mobility. I’m sure Frank is quietly frustrated because he has to make the perfect calls all game because Rivers is not gonna extend any plays or go off script and get us those first downs with his legs or throws off of scrambles. Allen ate us alive with his mobility today. 

Rivers was the guy frank asked for. Reich is the problem not the players. I admit we had some drops and rivers missed some throws, but frank consistently makes bad calls every game win or loss.

My only issues with coaching today was indeed the failed challenges. That might be on Reich or it might be on a booth guy. But both seemed obviously to be correct calls to me, and that kills. But we still had a chance without them. I guess I also didn't like the run for the failed 2pt attempt either. 

Other than that I liked the playcalling today. I don't mind the 4th down attempts or the 2pt conversion idea. It's a shame we lost but I know the truth. No one issue lost us this game, we lose this game by a hair. 

23 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

The lost challenge costing us a timeout was really dumb 

Did you see noodle arm not make it to the end zone on the Haily marry pass? I bet Brissett could've mad it to the endzone at least. 

1 minute ago, funktacious2 said:

My only issues with coaching today was indeed the failed challenges. That might be on Reich or it might be on a booth guy. But both seemed obviously to be correct calls to me, and that kills. But we still had a chance without them. I guess I also didn't like the run for the failed 2pt attempt either. 

Other than that I liked the playcalling today. I don't mind the 4th down attempts or the 2pt conversion idea. It's a shame we lost but I know the truth. No one issue lost us this game, we lose this game by a hair. 

you just pointed out the two reasons why we lost the game.

7 minutes ago, a06cc said:

100 percent agree! He’s time management has always been an issue. I’ve noticed it his first season here. He calls timeouts at some of the weirdest times. It’s like he panics to get a play call in. 

or if frank kicks the field goal instead of going for it on 4th and 4 yards we are going to overtime .  i  would go for it on the 1 if its 4th down but on the 4 you take out the run game and force rivers to throw it into the bills playing the pass with the safeties playing right on our guys . its not a good look

Archived