Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Calling my shot... 2021 Colts QB will be....

Mitchell Trubisky..... 

I know this might be weird and completely not agreed upon at first take but step back and think about this logically for one moment.

1) Trubisky will IMO be available and available dirt cheap. Most likely a 1-2 year flyer type contract.

2) Trubisky IS a duel threat QB. He was just not utilized that way consistently in Chicago. 

3) I truly believe that Trubisky isn't the problem in Chicago, it's Nagy. With a sporadic offensive game plan that almost crippled Montgomery until this year, Trubisky was asked to do too much and then handcuffed by terrible, inconsistent identity

4) Turbisky aligns perfectly with that quick short to intermediate passing game and a dominant running game format that leads to big strike play action that the Colts possess. 

5) Trubisky is still YOUNG.

*All this changes if Bears decide to keep him of course, but they declined his 5th year option

Out of all the potential avenues the Colts could pursue, I'm calling the shot and saying Trubisky will be a Colt come 2021 and it might be the best move the Colts, under the circumstances we face, could ever pursue

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2
Just now, MPStack said:

Lost me right here. 

not sure why. If you go back to Trubisky's first year with Bears, especially during the preseason, Trubisky made plays all over the field using his legs, throwing on the run. Nagy crippled those efforts in play call design. IMO this was/is similar to what happened with Eli in New York. Eli was a mobile QB at Ole Miss and that wasn't utilized in the pro's. now Eli over came that and became a decent pocket QB, Trubisky isn't that guy persay, but as a combo mobile/pocket QB he could be in the right system. Nagy is just all over the place in Chicago. That whole offense has a hard time functioning in that

3 minutes ago, TheLegend87 said:

It's gonna be Andrew.

Dalton.

This isn't a bad take either. I think Dalton might be a patriot though and why I chose Trubisky. To me it's going to be a QB under the radar of which each of Dalton or Tubisky would be. Patriots still will draft a QB, but I think Dalton in new England makes sense too. Come to think of it Trubisky in New England makes sense. I'm sticking with Trubisky to the Colts though

For what it’s worth...

For those who scoff and dismiss this idea out of hand....

Trubisky is 26 and could be a free agent soon.

He is 29-21 as a starter.

He has completed 64 percent of his passes for more than 10,600 yards.   And had a near two to one TD-Int ratio.  64-37.   His numbers aren’t as bad as one might guess they are.

And we wouldn’t have to trade for him. 

If you believe in our coaching staff and the system, considering other options, I don’t think it’s a terrible idea. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'd rather bring Jacoby back as the starter... and I would hate to bring Jacoby back as the starter. 

Nor do I but folks really need to visit OvertheCap and do some more homework and just plug in the basic numbers and try see how much cap space will be available to plug-n-play players.  Possible but going to be very difficult offseason for the Club to retain players and keep this team functioning at the same level.  AC has to go imo that 16m will help free up space.  On the fence of paying another QB 25m a year and lose our DEs possibly.  Although Autry might be replaced FT with Muhammad.  So many different ways we could try to go but end result of our available finances will determine what is best for the Club.  Again as for Brissett I would pay him backup pay around 8m for 1-2 years and hopefully we can find our next QB next season.

• Sad 1

Matt Ryan.

Atlanta has some cap trouble, and with picking at #4 they dont look to turn it around immediately. If the Jets decide to stick with Darnold, and Miami doesnt trade out, the Fields would be available at 4. If they do that then I think making a run at Ryan is the most practical move for the Colts. 

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Bears got the ball ready to run the 2 minute drill to end half to get some points and Trubisky handed off 3 times.

:facepalm:

Do you think it was Trubisky making the calls?

No NFL quarterback calls his own plays.   They can audible, but that’s different. 

What is your objection? 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Do you think it was Trubisky making the calls?

No NFL quarterback calls his own plays.   They can audible, but that’s different. 

What is your objection? 

Shows coaches don't have faith in him

That's my issue

Cheap or not I don't want that 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Indeee said:

Mitchell Trubisky..... 

I know this might be weird and completely not agreed upon at first take but step back and think about this logically for one moment.

1) Trubisky will IMO be available and available dirt cheap. Most likely a 1-2 year flyer type contract.

2) Trubisky IS a duel threat QB. He was just not utilized that way consistently in Chicago. 

3) I truly believe that Trubisky isn't the problem in Chicago, it's Nagy. With a sporadic offensive game plan that almost crippled Montgomery until this year, Trubisky was asked to do too much and then handcuffed by terrible, inconsistent identity

4) Turbisky aligns perfectly with that quick short to intermediate passing game and a dominant running game format that leads to big strike play action that the Colts possess. 

*All this changes if Bears decide to keep him of course, but they declined his 5th year option

Out of all the potential avenues the Colts could pursue, I'm calling the shot and saying Trubisky will be a Colt come 2021 and it might be the best move the Colts, under the circumstances we face, could ever pursue

I hope not!!

26 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Shows coaches don't have faith in him

That's my issue

Cheap or not I don't want that 

I'm not going to really defend my post as it was just a "bold prediction" that most likely won't occur but it could. I never said that Trubisky was the greatest since sliced bread. I said I thought he was hamstrung by Nagy a lot. I have watched some bears games and sometimes it seems the play calling is really suspect and highly sporadic. What I was attempting to allude to was that this QB with a team predicated on running the ball and playing good defense, the Colts currently, might work. Ironically that is what the bears were trying to be this year and should have been the entire first four years with Mitch, however the first four years Nagy trying to be too cute, utilize too many "weapons" and in culmination shot this QBs confidence level. I could be totally wrong, again it was a bold prediction that I didn't think wasn't out of realm of possibility.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Matthew Stafford, has several good years left allowing Eason to develop and Detroit can draft their QB of the future this year for the new coaching regime. 

I agree. He still isn't as mobile as I would like, but he might be our best option. He could make the throws that we need from our QB to take this team to the next level. 

Yea I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility. It would sure be a heck of a lot cheaper than some of the other options. I sure haven’t watched him enough to know what the issue is, but who was the last QB to do well in Chicago? Cutler, Grossman?

Not saying he is who I want, but who I want abruptly retired.  I think I’d rather have Stafford for the next few years, if something could get worked out, and let Eason or another draft pick learn behind him.

Trubisky is a 2 read QB, they had to water down a lot of things to get him to be effective. There were a few things Romo pointed out where Trubisky was hesitant to go deeper and took the safe underneath out though he had the arm (he is a faster JB). THAT is my biggest problem with him, reading Ds fast enough for multiple reads. I'd rather bring back Rivers at that rate, what we gain in mobility and boot legs, we lose in reading defenses.

Like most folks have said, I'd rather have Stafford, 100%. Heck, if Jon Gruden wanted to ship out Derek Carr who showed me he can stretch the field real well this year, I'd take that guy for a 1st rounder in a heartbeat, he would do great with our OL protection and reads Ds much better than Trubisky. However, Carr had somewhat of a resurgence year, so I doubt that will happen. Stafford, I can see it happening.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I question only 'dirt cheap'.

I will add to your suggestion:

1) Trubisky never has had a serious injury like, for example, DeShaun.

2) he has been a memorable running back at times.

3)he threw a pass 77 yards into the Arizona endzone 2 years ago, so his arm may be OK

I think Nagy wrecked him.

On 1/10/2021 at 1:24 PM, OhioColt said:

Nor do I but folks really need to visit OvertheCap and do some more homework and just plug in the basic numbers and try see how much cap space will be available to plug-n-play players.  Possible but going to be very difficult offseason for the Club to retain players and keep this team functioning at the same level.  AC has to go imo that 16m will help free up space.  On the fence of paying another QB 25m a year and lose our DEs possibly.  Although Autry might be replaced FT with Muhammad.  So many different ways we could try to go but end result of our available finances will determine what is best for the Club.  Again as for Brissett I would pay him backup pay around 8m for 1-2 years and hopefully we can find our next QB next season.

I would bet my entire life that Jacoby is not our starter next year. 

We would resign Rivers if anything.

Ballard knows we are in prime position to make a run. I think he gets his QB of the future this off-season or Matthew Stafford.

On 1/10/2021 at 7:41 AM, Indeee said:

Mitchell Trubisky..... 

You know what, this wouldn't be such a bad idea. Get him on a cheap deal without giving up draft picks and he's only 26 years old. 

41 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

You know what, this wouldn't be such a bad idea. Get him on a cheap deal without giving up draft picks and he's only 26 years old. 

I would be ok with him being 3rd string.

Most likely: Rivers is back

If not, I think the coaching staff takes a long look at Carson Wentz. If they are convinced they can fix whatever the heck is going on with him, I think Wentz and the Eagles will make the money work to move him here. That is a big IF.

Beyond that, it could be anything from Matthew Stafford to Jacoby Brissett to Jacob Eason

8 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I would bet my entire life that Jacoby is not our starter next year. 

We would resign Rivers if anything.

Ballard knows we are in prime position to make a run. I think he gets his QB of the future this off-season or Matthew Stafford.

Here is the major flaw with that.  We only have roughly 56.7m in cap space.  If AC retires and hope he does otherwise the Club is in financial trouble.  With AC retiring we will have around 72.7m in cap space. Going to be hard pressed to sign someone 25m when we can barley afford it and retain key players going forward.  Your talking less than 10m to sign Hilton which has to take a major pay cut hometown discount to play next year at 7m way down from his 14m if folks want him to play again.  Realistically can see us going back to Brissett and pay him backup pay like 8m for one year and go back to being a run first team with him under center. 

Other big player is Rhodes who play 87% of snaps.  Seriously doubt we can pay him 9m the way he played off his current 1.5m contract.  Folks are in for a rude awaking on what we can do this off-season.  I was in the same boat earlier on thinking we had a lot of cap space to go buy the FA market but in reality we barely have enough to sign what we got.   Myself am thinking no way we can resign Rhodes and look at signing one if not both Steeler's LCB Mike Hilton and/or RCB Cameron Sutton.

Next year we will have over 40m available cap space to be more aggressive in FA after resigning top players like Nelson, Glowinski, Smith, and Leonard.  That is when I expect us to go after someone like Stafford.  Wouldn't be prudent at this juncture.