Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

I’m frustrated.  We (almost) played the “perfect” game.  The game plan was great... time of possession, field position, scheme, good mix of run/pass, etc.  Moved the ball well.

But 2 of 5 in the red zone (40%) and 1 of 2 goal to go?  Buffalo was 100% in both.

  I think Reich had the team ready, and gad a great game plan.  However, with all his stats on when to go for 4th downs or 2 points, i think he fails to factor in the “momentum effect.”  
Coming away with nothing after long sustained drives affects the team and boosts the opponents AND the fans.  Working the score back to seven, only to go tor 2 failing which made the fap 8 points affects the psyche of the team and gives a boost to the opponent.  We saw it many times this year where we were we were moving, got a lil “cute”, and momentum shifted.
  I love Franks aggressive nature , but repeatedly thru the season i felt he got a little cute and greedy in the red zone.  Perhaps this added to our poor red zone efficiency.

Take the points, Frank.  Especially on the road.

 

(This isnt a “replace Frank” thread, just my opinion on an observation. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

That was the difference in the game. 2 of 5 in the red zone leads to losing against a good team every time. But we had trouble in the red zone all year! We are still a few players away and we need to get the QB position fixed for the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, coltsva said:

The red zone efficiency will improve with a mobile QB.

Thats a myth. Peyton certainly wasnt mobile but we were always very good in RZ with him.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Watch reich’ s press conference.  He looks shocked that we lost.  He is certainly a man of conviction as he always preaches.  I agree we should have taken the point but I can also see his aggressive nature getting us a super bowl one day.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, krunk said:

Thats a myth. Peyton certainly wasnt mobile but we were always very good in RZ with him.

It will be easier to find a mobile QB than another Peyton.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fluke_33 said:

They don’t last as long though.  I bet Buffalo fans cringed every time Allen ran

I'm not talking a run first QB like Jackson. Just someone who is mobile enough that the defense can't ignore to option of taking off and running if the opening is there.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, coltsva said:

The red zone efficiency will improve with a mobile QB.

 

Yes, just someone with Luck's or Wentz's type of mobility would help. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, life long said:

Yeah because they never got hurt...

LOL, this is anti my stance, but giving credit where credit is due, that is a quick, funny, accurate response.  Well done.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

In the red zone it would help if Colts had receivers who could catch the jump balls. Remember Vincent Jackson outjumping Bob Sanders in the playoffs. Saw those plays a lot with Chargers and don’t remember a single one this season with the Colts.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I’m frustrated.  We (almost) played the “perfect” game.  The game plan was great... time of possession, field position, scheme, good mix of run/pass, etc.  Moved the ball well.

But 2 of 5 in the red zone (40%) and 1 of 2 goal to go?  Buffalo was 100% in both.

  I think Reich had the team ready, and gad a great game plan.  However, with all his stats on when to go for 4th downs or 2 points, i think he fails to factor in the “momentum effect.”  
Coming away with nothing after long sustained drives affects the team and boosts the opponents AND the fans.  Working the score back to seven, only to go tor 2 failing which made the fap 8 points affects the psyche of the team and gives a boost to the opponent.  We saw it many times this year where we were we were moving, got a lil “cute”, and momentum shifted.
  I love Franks aggressive nature , but repeatedly thru the season i felt he got a little cute and greedy in the red zone.  Perhaps this added to our poor red zone efficiency.

Take the points, Frank.  Especially on the road.

 

(This isnt a “replace Frank” thread, just my opinion on an observation. 

 

This times 100!

 

Could not agree more.

 

I understand based on film they thought they would have a walk in with that pitch on third and goal.

 

But Taylor was playing well and has been feeling it. If you are going to go for it on fourth down anyhow you run the ball up the gut or off tackle behind a very good run blocking RT in Braden Smith and you do that two times. If you don't get it you are likely at the 1 instead of the 5 and who knows what happens on that drive where Buffalo takes over.

 

I really have gotten sick of the JB short yardage package situation simply because everytime he comes in a team knows it is a sneak or a run. Don't tip your hand. We moved the ball great between the 20s and then overthought things inside the 20. Hopefully that is something that improves in future years.

 

I also agree that it would not hurt to have a little mobility at QB simply to be able to move the pocket and do some other things offensively.

 

But this isn't much on Rivers this game other than that 4th down missed throw to Pittman and I can't fault him too much for one error in a tough spot.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, life long said:

Yeah because they never got hurt...

With Wentz, that's a bit of a myth.  He hasn't missed as many games as people not paying attention assume he has.

 

Luck?  Luck basically had no choice.  With the team Grigson constructed around him, he either risked harm or lost.

 

On top of that, it's difficult to win with a statue like Rivers in today's NFL.  The idea you're going to keep a QB entirely in the pocket and protect him from harm Manning-style isn't going to fly in the 20's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, #12. said:

1.With Wentz, that's a bit of a myth.  He hasn't missed as many games as people not paying attention assume he has.

 

2.Luck?  Luck basically had no choice.  With the team Grigson constructed around him, he either risked harm or lost.

 

3.On top of that, it's difficult to win with a statue like Rivers in today's NFL.  The idea you're going to keep a QB entirely in the pocket and protect him from harm Manning-style isn't going to fly in the 20's.

1.Some might say that missing games or playing hurt would hurt the team regardless. 

2. He had a choice. One of the smartest plays a QB can make is to wait for the next play.

3. I will agree the NFL is moving towards a more mobile QB but Mahomes and Rodgers are the type I'd prefer over a Luck or Wentz.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Watch reich’ s press conference.  He looks shocked that we lost.  He is certainly a man of conviction as he always preaches.  I agree we should have taken the point but I can also see his aggressive nature getting us a super bowl one day.  

Finaly someone said it.

 

Loved the Dungy/Jim era, but the lack of agressiveness drove me crazy lot of times.

 

I can live with agressive. On to 2021.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

We literally can’t run a bootleg/rollout at the goal line with Rivers. Forget about extending a broken play. That definitely limits the offense.

It’s amazing that Rivers is fifth all time in TDs when his lack of mobility is such an impediment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

We literally can’t run a bootleg/rollout at the goal line with Rivers. Forget about extending a broken play. That definitely limits the offense.

Which is why if we do end drafting a QB sin the first round we could use them on plays like that plus keep rivers for another year.  Would give the rookie some experience while still having rivers for stability.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

In the red zone it would help if Colts had receivers who could catch the jump balls. Remember Vincent Jackson outjumping Bob Sanders in the playoffs. Saw those plays a lot with Chargers and don’t remember a single one this season with the Colts.  

  I wonder how many end zone targets from inside the 20 MAC had this year ?

  I don't recall any, but surely there was one or two. Seemingly should have been 

  a lot more of em. 

 

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, indykmj said:

  I wonder how many end zone targets from inside the 20 MAC had this year ?

  I don't recall any, but surely there was one or two. Seemingly should have been 

  a lot more of em. 

 

  

Yes he looked very promising early on. It was disclosed after the playoff game that he was hampered by a knee injury this season. He could be a great red zone target. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • A number of websites have projected the size of the free agent contracts.    On PFF,  they will even show you their comparisons and the math used to make the final prediction for years and dollars.   BUT....   No where am I seeing anything that reflects the fact that teams are dealing with a lowered salary cap,  and they're all going to have roughly $15 million less to spend.    I don't see any predictions that reflect that world.    Seems counter-intuitive to me.    With all the talk we've all read about how the middle class players are going to bear the burden of smaller contracts,  I'm not seeing that anywhere in these predictions.     And frankly,  I don't understand it?   If you didn't know about how Covid has hurt the NFL,  you couldn't tell by the salary predictions anywhere.    To me,  it reads pretty much as business as usual.   So.....   is it just me?     Or has anyone else noticed this?     Your thoughts?  
    • Zierlein is always a good read.   And given he's tight with Ballard,  I always recommend that you read everything he says.   It's as close as we're going to get inside Ballard's head, other than hearing from CB ourselves.   Here, he lists 10 prospects, who, for a variety of reasons, he thinks they need a really good pro day to bump up their draft status.    On a personal note,  I was surprised to NOT see two of my Stanford kids on this list.    Neither Walker Little or Paulson Adebo are on his list.    Maybe he doesn't think either needs a great pro day.   But I'd disagree.    Frankly,  I think every player who opted out needs a very good pro day.    As good as they can make it.    The absence of the combine is seriously going to hurt a big number of kids.   Here's his article.    And it includes a hyper-link to the latest updated Pro Day Schedule.   Those get under way full speed this coming week.   https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-ten-prospects-who-could-use-a-pro-day-boost
    • Trade her in.   Every 3 - 4 years...... like a car. Make her think it was HER idea.
    • Imagine the players just running around in jocks with cups for their pants  
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...