Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Without a Franchise QB - The window is Closing for the Colts

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

@jvan1973 you're telling me we can't complete a pass in the middle of the field, get up, and spike the ball in under 19 seconds?

We'll have to agree to disagree.

19 seconds is not enough time to throw it deep down field, run up and spike it AND run your field goal unit out on the field for a kick.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sarcasm on:   Too bad we don't have a young, mobile, dynamic QB like Lamar Jackson. I mean his stats against the Bills were.......   14/24 for 162 yds, 0 TD's and 1 INT  

With the first pick, the Jacksonville Jaguars select - Trevor Lawrence... we all know that, and what he's supposed to bring to that team. We also know that Deshaun Watson will stay put in Houston

Rivers gets the blame when he doesn’t complete a comeback with zero timeouts, but he never gets credit for keeping the team in the game to begin with. It’s because of him that we even had a chance at

3 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

19 seconds is not enough time to throw it deep down field, run up and spike it AND run your field goal unit out on the field for a kick.

We were at mid field already. We were better off going towards the middle of the field. If we can't complete a pass, get 10 15 yards and spike the ball then that's sad

Just now, jvan1973 said:

How deep?  Was there anything ?

12-15 yards and we could have tried a long FG

53 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I addressed his post earlier and brought up Rivers came back vs GB and vs Cincy down big when they had Burrow. I give Rivers almost 0 blame for our playoff loss. Maybe 10% of the blame just because he didn't complete the comeback. The Turay offsides play was the worst IMO and missing a 33 yard FG is a close 2nd. That offsides play ended up giving them 7 instead of 3.

Rivers gets the blame when he doesn’t complete a comeback with zero timeouts, but he never gets credit for keeping the team in the game to begin with. It’s because of him that we even had a chance at a comeback. Yet when it fails he is blamed. 

Compared to Tua and Lamar, Rivers was dynamite against that Bills defense. Even their safety said he was glad they didn’t have to face Rivers again. 

I wish fans would say, I give Rivers 90% credit that Colts were even in that game, which btw Ian Rappoport predicted Bills would win “by a million.”  

But I know it’s wishful thinking. 

• Like 7
1 minute ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Rivers gets the blame when he doesn’t complete a comeback with zero timeouts, but he never gets credit for keeping the team in the game to begin with. It’s because of him that we even had a chance at a comeback. Yet when it fails he is blamed. 

Compared to Tua and Lamar, Rivers was dynamite against that Bills defense. Even their safety said he was glad they didn’t have to face Rivers again. 

I wish fans would say, I give Rivers 90% credit that Colts were even in that game, which btw Ian Rappoport predicted Bills would win “by a million.”  

But I know it’s wishful thinking. 

Most of our fanbase always blames the QB when we lose but Rivers this year was good. He wasn't near the reason why we lost to Buffalo. Lamar put up 3 points against Buffalo and had a critical pick 6 so I guess he sucks and should be cut lmao according to some.

• Like 4
47 minutes ago, CR91 said:

We were at mid field already. We were better off going towards the middle of the field. If we can't complete a pass, get 10 15 yards and spike the ball then that's sad

Not sure where you are getting 10-15 yards.

If we were at mid field (50) then you needed 25 to get us to the 25 which is a 42 yard kick which Rodrigo could make.

20 yards puts us at 30 which is a 47 yard kick which is probably out of his range in the windy cold conditions 

I saw Tucker miss two easy kicks in the Ravens game

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

If we were at mid field (50) then you needed 25 to get us to the 25 which is a 42 yard kick which Rodrigo could make.

20 yards puts us at 30 which is a 47 yard kick which is probably out of his range in the windy cold conditions 

Better odds then a hail mary. Heck Bass made a 54 yarder

31 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Rigo is a good kicker but I honestly can say if he had to kick outside of 47 yards that would've been 50/50. Without timeouts, Rivers was working against a lot.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Arodgers12 said:

You guys want Jordan Love?

Does he come with Rodgers haha

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Rivers will get a chance to redeem himself next year

We'll see this off-season. Many options on the table

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Rivers will get a chance to redeem himself next year

Yeah I just don't see how some can blame Rivers for the playoff loss. He had 0 turnovers and threw for over 300 yards with 2 TD's. People that blame him are reaching.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep and I think Watson's is or it's even.

Agreed and we are seeing how bad that is with a guy like Lamar. We can all admit the guy is a freak of nature but has got some major arm work to do because he lacks the natural talent to make the tight throws in the NFL. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

If Rodgers wins a SB for us this year then you guys can have him, deal?

if AR wins the Super Bowl I'd like to see the 49ers get him--and make up for not picking him #1 all those years ago

20 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

if AR wins the Super Bowl I'd like to see the 49ers get him--and make up for not picking him #1 all those years ago

Not to mention he's originally from Chico, just north of there!

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I just don't see how some can blame Rivers for the playoff loss. He had 0 turnovers and threw for over 300 yards with 2 TD's. People that blame him are reaching.

I have a question. Who has blamed Rivers for the playoff loss?

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I have a question. Who has blamed Rivers for the playoff loss?

He's referring to me because I disagree on the last three plays before the hail mary. With 19 seconds and at midfield, I suggested we should have instead attack the middle, spike the ball, and try a long FG. Better odds then Rivers throwing 50 yards

6 hours ago, poilucelt said:

I don't get the hate on Jimmy G. The guy wins. Who cares if he's not always the reason  for it. 

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't get the hate on Jimmy G. The guy wins. Who cares if he's not always the reason  for it. 

I'll let you speak for yourself, maybe you do blame Rivers for the playoff loss. But to me, saying you disagree with Rivers' choices on that last drive doesn't equal blaming him for the loss.

In fact, Reich's use of timeouts kind of left the offense handcuffed on that drive. And ironically, I thought the defense could have used a timeout at the end of the first half, but they never used any.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'll let you speak for yourself, maybe you do blame Rivers for the playoff loss. But to me, saying you disagree with Rivers' choices on that last drive doesn't equal blaming him for the loss.

In fact, Reich's use of timeouts kind of left the offense handcuffed on that drive. And ironically, I thought the defense could have used a timeout at the end of the first half, but they never used any.

I blame the execution mostly. So many dropped passes. Taylor had two passes that he dropped and could have got the first down. Allen and co driving at their 5 to get a touchdown before halftime. A lot of missed opportunities.

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not wanting him back is like a back handed slap saying he is one of the reasons why we lost. At least 5 posters have posted say they don't want him back. He had very little to do with the loss. That is like being at a job and a project you were working on with a group of people failed and weren't the reason why it failed but your boss says I don't want you back. I read between lines with some of these posters in here. That last drive wasn't his fault either. When you are working with no timeouts it is kind of difficult. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not wanting him back is like a back handed slap saying he is one of the reasons why lost. At least 5 posters have posted say they don't want him back. He had very little to do with the loss. That is like being at a job and a project you were working on with a group of people failed and weren't the reason why it failed but you boss says I don't want you back. I read between lines with some of these posters in here. That last drive wasn't his fault either. When you are working with no timeouts it is kind of difficult. 

Cool, but I disagree with the bolded. He's 39, and physically limited. A person can think he played well enough for the team to win, and still think the team can improve. 

It's more like everyone who worked on the project knows that you're taking a leave of absence in a couple months, so before they assign all the spots for the next year, they're considering whether they can use someone else in your spot. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Cool, but I disagree with the bolded. He's 39, and physically limited. A person can think he played well enough for the team to win, and still think the team can improve. 

It's more like everyone who worked on the project knows that you're taking a leave of absence in a couple months, so before they assign all the spots for the next year, they're considering whether they can use someone else in your spot. 

Good point. I just get the vibe some don't want him back and are sorta blaming him for the loss just by the way a few are posting. QB's seemed to always get the blame by many.

On 1/10/2021 at 1:24 AM, ThorstenDenmark said:

With the first pick, the Jacksonville Jaguars select - Trevor Lawrence... we all know that, and what he's supposed to bring to that team.

We also know that Deshaun Watson will stay put in Houston, and that Tennessee is a well coached team, which bring us to our Colts.

Right now, as of today, we don't have any starting QB, as Rivers is a free agent and even if he returns for another year, we can't expect much better from him than what we got this season.

We also know he needs offseason surgery and that he will turn 40 in december.

Im not the biggest Rivers fan, but he's good enough to get us to the playoffs, but then it's game over like last night :( We had a fair chance, but we just fell short in so many ways, that its head scratching and you shout argh come on guys.

If we should have had a run with Rivers in the playoffs, THIS WAS THE YEAR.

The Colts have a lot of pieces in place, which we saw this season, but we are one or two players and plays away from being there, and now, instead of reaching the top of the mountain, I can see this team regress, if Ballard choose to bring back Rivers for one last dance.

This offseason might be the single most important since drafting Andrew Luck, as Ballard needs to choose our starting QB for the 2021 season with care. 

I see three possible scenarios for us this offseason, that have very different outcome going forward for this team.

They bring back Rivers, and due to a much tougher schedule next season compared to this year, we are stuck in the middle with a record in the range of 6-10 / 8-8 and no playoff. 

Which give us a draft pick just outside the top 10 in 2022, based on this years record and draft order.

We let Rivers walk and Ballard / Colts sign either Dak Prescott, Carson Wentz or Sam Darnold. All three QB´s with upside compared to Rivers as they are younger and in the right circumstances can be successful behind our O-line and take this team to the next level going forward. I know Dak might be franchised tagged once again by Dallas and Darnold have yet to show how good he can be, but behind our O-line and in Reichs system, I see him develop and become better. Wentz will likely cost some draft picks, but Reich know how to get the best out of him.

With one of these QB´s I see us having a much better chance next season and going forward, than by keeping Rivers, and though we next season might fall short of the playoffs, we could compete in the AFC South for years to come.

We draft a young QB in the first round, possibly by trading up in the draft for Mac Jones, Kyle Trask or Trey Lance, and we are settled for the future and bring in some complementary pieces to help this young QB succeed. 

We would have cap enough to sign big Q and Leonard come 2022, and still have room to sign free agents that could elevate this team and give us a fair chance for success going forward in a QB heavy AFC South.

So, this offseason is darn important for Ballard and he needs to get it right, as we are so close to getting there, but Rivers ain't the answer, at least I don't think he is the one that can take this team to the next level.

Sorry, but no, our window is not closing.   Almost all of Ballard's top players are still on their rookie contracts.   This team is EARLY in it's window.    There is still great opportunity for the Colts.

Your viewpoint is a fan's viewpoint.    It is not the view of how an NFL front office person thinks.   There is still time.

Patience can be your friend.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry, but no, our window is not closing.   Almost all of Ballard's top players are still on their rookie contracts.   This team is EARLY in it's window.    There is still great opportunity for the Colts.

Your viewpoint is a fan's viewpoint.    It is not the view of how an NFL front office person thinks.   There is still time.

Patience can be your friend.

Agreed. I want a team that is stable and working to the future. Going all in is instant gratification. It's fun at the time, but afterwards you have to face the music. Especially with a pandemic year, and a lowered cap. Right now, we've barely got money. There's some there to play with, but it's still going to lead to hard decisions. Thanks to COVID-19, I could see us actually losing talent instead of gaining talent. 

Trying to go all in right now would be counterproductive to Ballard's plan and ambitions. 

21 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Agreed. I want a team that is stable and working to the future. Going all in is instant gratification. It's fun at the time, but afterwards you have to face the music. Especially with a pandemic year, and a lowered cap. Right now, we've barely got money. There's some there to play with, but it's still going to lead to hard decisions. Thanks to COVID-19, I could see us actually losing talent instead of gaining talent. 

Trying to go all in right now would be counterproductive to Ballard's plan and ambitions. 

I think Ballard's plan was to go all in this year and he made it to the playoffs and the team actually outplayed the Bills.  Mistakes cost them.  That's why he signed a 39 yr old QB for one year and traded for Buckner to fill the 3T hole.  If he wanted to continue building last year he could have found a way to get a QB at 13 or even move up to get one.  I think he thought he had a chance to win it with the moves he made.  If anything this years success reinforces the thought that we can win it with this team.  That's why I think he brings Rivers back again or acquires another veteran QB to be the starter and gives Eason his opportunity to show him what he has on the field.   

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I think Ballard's plan was to go all in this year and he made it to the playoffs and the team actually outplayed the Bills.  Mistakes cost them.  That's why he signed a 39 yr old QB for one year and traded for Buckner to fill the 3T hole.  If he wanted to continue building last year he could have found a way to get a QB at 13 or even move up to get one.  I think he thought he had a chance to win it with the moves he made.  If anything this years success reinforces the thought that we can win it with this team.  That's why I think he brings Rivers back again or acquires another veteran QB to be the starter and gives Eason his opportunity to show him what he has on the field.   

I really hope we have a preseason this year. And I can agree with your thoughts. Though Ballard's way of going all in is much different than say, the Saints or Broncos. 

• Like 1

We had the draft picks to move up and get Herbert. The problem was that was off the table after giving up the 13 for Buckner. No team was going to trade out of the first round. The argument can be made that maybe we should of went after Herbert rather then Buckner because the QB position is much harder to get right.   Seems last year would of been the perfect time to trade up with all the picks we had.

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If anything this years success reinforces the thought that we can win it with this team.

Without acknowledging that the defense struggled against good QBs, one might think so. 

Just now, Superman said:

Without acknowledging that the defense struggled against good QBs, one might think so. 

I think most teams struggle against good QB. It’s a offensive league. 

21 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

Colts were at the 46 yard line they needed 11 yards . They can complete a 11 yard pass and spike it in 19 seconds very easily.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think most teams struggle against good QB. It’s a offensive league. 

And that's why most teams aren't SB contenders. 

You can contend with a B grade offense if you have an A grade defense, or vice versa. If you have a B grade offense and a B grade defense -- like the Colts in 2020 -- you might win 11 games, maybe even a playoff game, but you're probably not winning a SB.

So if Ballard felt like we had the pieces to make a push for SB contention in 2020, I think he recognizes that either the defense has to be better against top competition, or the offense has to be more dynamic and efficient in critical situations. But right now, we're not good enough, and a real examination of 2020 shows that clearly.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

Colts were at the 46 yard line they needed 11 yards . They can complete a 11 yard pass and spike it in 19 seconds very easily.

You guys beat us. That win showed how good you really are.

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

For a 53 yard attempt, in the cold, with wind. RB was 1/3 on 50+ yarders, and had already missed a shorter kick. 

Realistically, we needed to get inside the 30, and probably to the 25, to have a legit FG opportunity.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

And that's why most teams aren't SB contenders. 

You can contend with a B grade offense if you have an A grade defense, or vice versa. If you have a B grade offense and a B grade defense -- like the Colts in 2020 -- you might win 11 games, maybe even a playoff game, but you're probably not winning a SB.

So if Ballard felt like we had the pieces to make a push for SB contention in 2020, I think he recognizes that either the defense has to be better against top competition, or the offense has to be more dynamic and efficient in critical situations. But right now, we're not good enough, and a real examination of 2020 shows that clearly.

Is Rivers staying? You guys should get Carson Wentz?

Just now, Arodgers12 said:

Is Rivers staying? You guys should get Carson Wentz?

The Eagles apparently want to keep Wentz; I don't know how they're going to make that work, get under the cap, and keep Hurts, but whatever. If they want to move him, I'd take him on the Colts for sure, but the question is about compensation. I wouldn't spend major compensation for him.

• Like 1