Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Without a Franchise QB - The window is Closing for the Colts

ThorstenDenmark

57 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

We’ll know more about what Ballard thinks of Eason as this off-season goes on.  Remember that his opinion is far more informed than any of ours.

It’s possible that he likes him as a prospect, but sees a #2 ceiling.  Keep in mind that a backup QB is a very important position and not everybody is destined to be a starter.

I know but I am sure most would feel comfortable with a proven QB with the team we have. JB is  a proven great backup so yeah having a great backup is important. I do want to see what Eason has because it is a mystery.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Not right away, but I have more confidence in that then Rivers. We are not a super bowl team with Rivers so why waste the money on Rivers.

Eason will not be the starter to begin the season.   A vet will be acquired one way or another

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Great waste another 20+ mil on a short term fix that won't win the super bowl

A vet doesn’t have to be a short term fix. If Reich believes he can get Wentz back to what he was trade 21 and do it. Go sign a LT in FA. There are a few out there.  If we do decide to let TY go there are some really good WR too. Just those three things would upgrade this team in a huge way.  Makes us more explosive too.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

A vet doesn’t have to be a short term fix. If Reich believes he can get Wentz back to what he was trade 21 and do it. Go sign a LT in FA. There are a few out there.  If we do decide to let TY go there are some really good WR too. Just those three things would upgrade this team in a huge way.  Makes us more explosive too.

Wentz cap hit the next three years are 30+. You really wanna pay that?

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yes they are.   

What would the eagles be liable for if he's traded?

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If he is terrible,   how is that beneficial?

Get a high draft pick and a legit chance at a QB. For god sakes, Brissett went 5-2 before hurting his knee. How bad could Eason do.

Just now, CR91 said:

What would the eagles be liable for if he's traded?

Get a high draft pick and a legit chance at a QB

The Eagles cannot cut Wentz and shouldn't want to, anyway, knowing he can return some good value, even up to a first-round pick. Releasing Wentz soon after the league year starts in March would cost them $59.2 million in dead money and include an extra cap hit of $24.5 million, according to OverTheCap.com. Trading him still costs the Eagles $33.8 million in dead money, but that with comes with a cap savings of almost $853,000 in 2021 and, more important, greater cap relief over future years vs. still paying Wentz through 2024.

Although it's not ideal to eat that dead money now, it's also not smart continuing to pay and play Wentz if the team doesn't feel like he can rebound into its true franchise QB. The Eagles also shouldn't want to be locked into a contract that limits their spending elsewhere on top of it if Wentz isn't close to delivering the return on investment.

With how much guaranteed and up-front money is in Wentz's current contract, the trading team would get a more reasonable deal in relation to the market. Wentz would be signed for four years at $98.4 million. That $24.6 average annual salary would drop rather significantly from the $32 million mark it was initially for the Eagles.

MORE: What should the Eagles do at QB in 2021?

Why the Broncos make some sense for Carson Wentz

Broncos GM John Elway hasn't been afraid to make constant big changes looking for a reliable QB post Peyton Manning. He's invested in veteran bridge quarterbacks ad also taken shots early on drafted QBs, such as first-rounder Paxton Lynch and second-rounder Lock.

Going after Wentz is a different, in-between approach. Wentz, who turns only 28 in late December, would give the Broncos a QB with some past success who has the talent and physical tools to return to playing at a high level. In the right offense elsewhere, Wentz can enjoy a Ryan Tannehill-like resurgence. Wentz, with size and toughness that should appeal to the Hall of Famer Elway, had some real interest from the Broncos in the 2016 draft — before they took Lynch 24 picks later at No. 26 overall.

The Broncos project to have more than $25 million available under the cap for 2021, which could change based on the league's adjustment for lost 2020 revenue. There are also some big contracts they could cut to make more room for Wentz, led by cornerbacks A.J. Bouye and Kareem Jackson, who are set to count a combined $21.5 million toward the cap.

Denver also could think draft again or tap into a different, cheaper QB reclamation in project in free agency, such as Cam Newton or Jameis Winston. Wentz isn't the most cost-effective option for the Broncos, but it's one that they should explore if they like his upside to help them better compete with Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs in the AFC West.

MORE: Broncos' timeline of QBs under John Elway isn't pretty

Why the Colts make most sense for Carson Wentz

Reich got the best play out of Wentz when he was in Philadelphia under Pederson. Neither Rivers, who got $25 million on his one-year deal in 2021, nor Brissett are worth bringing back. Rivers, who turns 39 on Tuesday, is clearly a bridge vs. anything close to a multiple-season solution.

The Colts are also sitting on nearly $68 million in salary cap space. Only the rebuidling, bottom-feeding Jets and Jaguars have more available to spend on their roster in 2021. Given how much they gave Rivers, the Colts would definitely be comfortable with that $24.6 million number for several seasons. Should Wentz return to form with Reich in their QB-friendly, run-heavy offense, the Colts also have flexibility to bump his contract back up in a year or two.

In Indianapolis, Wentz would inherit a good offensive line (even if it must replace left tackle Anthony Castonzo), a strong multiple-tight end system and a versatile receiving corps. He would benefit from a team that uses its backs well in the passing game and can balance him out in the running game. There would be no concern over schematic transition for a reunion with Reich.

Colts general manager Chris Ballard has proved he is willing to be aggressive on the trade market. His move for big-money former 49ers defensive tackle DeForest Buckner has paid immediate dividends with a run-stopping and pass-rushing force for their front seven.

Many of Wentz's problems in Philadelphia are tied to shaky line play related to injuries, inconsistent usage of the backs and tight ends and lack of wide receiver reliability. Wentz needs to be lifted up by better supporting personnel and a more efficient system, which the Colts can provide in spades with Reich.

The Eagles have had bad fortunes with Wentz when they thought he would put it all together again in 2020. Luckily, they can get out of his contract in a move that can turn into a win-win for them and a potential trading team, with the bonus of reasonable draft pick compensation in return.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/carson-wentz-trade-eagles-contract-colts-broncos/1tfih3yervjwn1tlh763ry6t1l

2.  Ballard isn't gong to field a terrible QB in hopes to get a high draft pick.   He all but said that yesterday 

43 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The Eagles cannot cut Wentz and shouldn't want to, anyway, knowing he can return some good value, even up to a first-round pick. Releasing Wentz soon after the league year starts in March would cost them $59.2 million in dead money and include an extra cap hit of $24.5 million, according to OverTheCap.com. Trading him still costs the Eagles $33.8 million in dead money, but that with comes with a cap savings of almost $853,000 in 2021 and, more important, greater cap relief over future years vs. still paying Wentz through 2024.

Although it's not ideal to eat that dead money now, it's also not smart continuing to pay and play Wentz if the team doesn't feel like he can rebound into its true franchise QB. The Eagles also shouldn't want to be locked into a contract that limits their spending elsewhere on top of it if Wentz isn't close to delivering the return on investment.

With how much guaranteed and up-front money is in Wentz's current contract, the trading team would get a more reasonable deal in relation to the market. Wentz would be signed for four years at $98.4 million. That $24.6 average annual salary would drop rather significantly from the $32 million mark it was initially for the Eagles.

MORE: What should the Eagles do at QB in 2021?

Why the Broncos make some sense for Carson Wentz

Broncos GM John Elway hasn't been afraid to make constant big changes looking for a reliable QB post Peyton Manning. He's invested in veteran bridge quarterbacks ad also taken shots early on drafted QBs, such as first-rounder Paxton Lynch and second-rounder Lock.

Going after Wentz is a different, in-between approach. Wentz, who turns only 28 in late December, would give the Broncos a QB with some past success who has the talent and physical tools to return to playing at a high level. In the right offense elsewhere, Wentz can enjoy a Ryan Tannehill-like resurgence. Wentz, with size and toughness that should appeal to the Hall of Famer Elway, had some real interest from the Broncos in the 2016 draft — before they took Lynch 24 picks later at No. 26 overall.

The Broncos project to have more than $25 million available under the cap for 2021, which could change based on the league's adjustment for lost 2020 revenue. There are also some big contracts they could cut to make more room for Wentz, led by cornerbacks A.J. Bouye and Kareem Jackson, who are set to count a combined $21.5 million toward the cap.

Denver also could think draft again or tap into a different, cheaper QB reclamation in project in free agency, such as Cam Newton or Jameis Winston. Wentz isn't the most cost-effective option for the Broncos, but it's one that they should explore if they like his upside to help them better compete with Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs in the AFC West.

MORE: Broncos' timeline of QBs under John Elway isn't pretty

Why the Colts make most sense for Carson Wentz

Reich got the best play out of Wentz when he was in Philadelphia under Pederson. Neither Rivers, who got $25 million on his one-year deal in 2021, nor Brissett are worth bringing back. Rivers, who turns 39 on Tuesday, is clearly a bridge vs. anything close to a multiple-season solution.

The Colts are also sitting on nearly $68 million in salary cap space. Only the rebuidling, bottom-feeding Jets and Jaguars have more available to spend on their roster in 2021. Given how much they gave Rivers, the Colts would definitely be comfortable with that $24.6 million number for several seasons. Should Wentz return to form with Reich in their QB-friendly, run-heavy offense, the Colts also have flexibility to bump his contract back up in a year or two.

In Indianapolis, Wentz would inherit a good offensive line (even if it must replace left tackle Anthony Castonzo), a strong multiple-tight end system and a versatile receiving corps. He would benefit from a team that uses its backs well in the passing game and can balance him out in the running game. There would be no concern over schematic transition for a reunion with Reich.

Colts general manager Chris Ballard has proved he is willing to be aggressive on the trade market. His move for big-money former 49ers defensive tackle DeForest Buckner has paid immediate dividends with a run-stopping and pass-rushing force for their front seven.

Many of Wentz's problems in Philadelphia are tied to shaky line play related to injuries, inconsistent usage of the backs and tight ends and lack of wide receiver reliability. Wentz needs to be lifted up by better supporting personnel and a more efficient system, which the Colts can provide in spades with Reich.

The Eagles have had bad fortunes with Wentz when they thought he would put it all together again in 2020. Luckily, they can get out of his contract in a move that can turn into a win-win for them and a potential trading team, with the bonus of reasonable draft pick compensation in return.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/carson-wentz-trade-eagles-contract-colts-broncos/1tfih3yervjwn1tlh763ry6t1l

2.  Ballard isn't gong to field a terrible QB in hopes to get a high draft pick.   He all but said that yesterday 

So you want to go with Carson Wentz because he's had one good season and ignore the terrible year he had this year and injury riddled ones in the others.

You don't know if Eason is terrible and honesty I rather find out then waste half our cap on Wentz 

Just now, CR91 said:

So you want to go with Carson Wentz because he's had one good season and ignore the terrible year he had this year and injury riddled ones in the others.

You don't know if Eason is terrible and honesty I rather find out then waste half our cap on Wentz 

I was just pointing out that the Eagles have to pay a good chunk of his contract. 

I don't know who the starter will be to start the season,   but it won't be Eason

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I was just pointing out that the Eagles have to pay a good chunk of his contract. 

I don't know who the starter will be to start the season,   but it won't be Eason

So you tell me, does Rivers, Stafford, or Wentz make us super bowl contenders? 

Just now, jvan1973 said:

They beat the 1 seed Packers,   they should have beat the 2 seed bills.   They were certainly superbowl contenders

The Packers game was more the run game and the second half defense. As far as the bills game goes, as good as Rivers played, the final drive to me was exactly why I can't trust Rivers. It was the same thing vs the jags the first time, the browns, and the Steelers. When the game needs to be won, he didn't make the play to win it. I love our defense and run game, but your QB needs to deliver when the game is on the line. I mean after the Pascal catch, we called a wr screen and two passes were thrown away. What was that? This team can compete for a super bowl. We have the talent, but not with the QBs everyone has mentioned. Wentz is a one season wonder, Stafford has never won a playoff game, and Rivers while would be a great coach, is not the right choice for us to win.

Just now, CR91 said:

The Packers game was more the run game and the second half defense. As far as the bills game goes, as good as Rivers played, the final drive to me was exactly why I can't trust Rivers. It was the same thing vs the jags the first time, the browns, and the Steelers. When the game needs to be won, he didn't make the play to win it. I love our defense and run game, but your QB needs to deliver when the game is on the line. I mean after the Pascal catch, we called a wr screen and two passes were thrown away. What was that? This team can compete for a super bowl. We have the talent, but not with the QBs everyone has mentioned. Wentz is a one season wonder, Stafford has never won a playoff game, and Rivers while would be a great coach, is not the right choice for us to win.

And according to Ballard,   Eason isn't ready to even be the backup. 

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Not really.   Just said he was a good man, leader and teammate.    I'm sure he knows more than we do

About what? He paid him 21 mil for QB sneaks. Honestly, I don't think Ballard wants to make a decision about the QB. He seems very timid about that position.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

About what? He paid him 21 mil for QB sneaks. Honestly, I don't think Ballard wants to make a decision about the QB. He seems very timid about that position.

Not really.   He just isn't going to draft a qb high just to draft a qb high.   He and Frank are looking for the right guy.    Philip played great this year. 

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Not really.   He just isn't going to draft a qb high just to draft a qb high.   He and Frank are looking for the right guy.    Philip played great this year. 

Sooner or later, you have to take a chance. I wouldn't say great. An upgrade sure, but a lot to be desired.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

People think Peyton and Luck's grow on tree's I guess. If you aren't those 2 according to some everyone sucks K Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Um I wanna start Eason without seeing him play once. Pretty sure that has nothing to do with Peyton or Andrew

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Sooner or later, you have to take a chance. I wouldn't say great. An upgrade sure, but a lot to be desired.

Um I wanna start Eason without seeing him play once. Pretty sure that has nothing to do with Peyton or Andrew

I believe  Eason will be a beast. I believe  the Vikings  coach was impressed by  Eason throwing  pregame and asked Ballard  who that was. Eason  has to get reps for frabk and Ballard  to feel comfortable  starting  him. Can't  do that if rivers and Brissett  are getting  all the snaps

10 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Eason will never get a chance to develop so long as he is blocked out by Brissett - the perennial super guy, locker room leader, untouchable.

If Ballard and Reich think he is better than JB, sure he will. They aren't going to play a QB that is worse, nobody would. Only they know as of now how good Eason can be. Many wanted Chad Kelly to play instead of Jacoby and what is Chad doing now? Not 1 team is giving Chad a chance. Chad while more talented probably isn't the teammate that JB is. Chemistry is huge. Jeff George was more talented than half the QB's today but he stunk in reality. Reasons behind everything.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Ballard and Reich think he is better than JB, sure he will. They aren't going to play a QB that is worse, nobody would. Only they know as of now how good Eason can be. Many wanted Chad Kelly to play instead of Jacoby and what is Chad doing now? Not 1 team is giving Chad a chance. Chad while more talented probably isn't the teammate that JB is. Chemistry is huge. Jeff George was more talented than half the QB's today but he stunk in reality. Reasons behind everything.

lady gaga applause GIF

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Agreed, sir.  Doesn't change the growth-stunting effect Brissett has on younger, faster and better throwing QB's...mainly because he's a great teammate?  Times they are a-changin'.

42 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I personally would love to see what Eason has because nobody knows. It has me interested.

You don’t take a playoff team that went 11-5 and barely lost to the #2 seed and try out a third string QB to see what he has. That will * off almost veteran player on the team as you are wasting a year of their career when the team is pretty strong.

we aren’t the Jaguars.....

1 minute ago, Krushinator said:

You don’t take a playoff team that went 11-5 and barely lost to the #2 seed and try out a third string QB to see what he has. That will * off almost veteran player on the team as you are wasting a year of their career when the team is pretty strong.

we aren’t the Jaguars.....

You probably misunderstood my post because I want Rivers back but I just would like to see Eason play just to see if he has anything. It is a mystery, hopefully we have a pre-season this upcoming year.

Archived