Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

I’m not sure why but I’ve always been a fan of him. I don’t know if the lions are even shopping him but I would be thrilled if we would be able to trade a few picks, say this years first for him? He’s just 32 and probably has several good years left. Would love to see him with our talent. What do you guys think about him? What would you be willing to give?

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately after resigning players we will not have that much available cap space to go after a big name signing.  Next year after running the numbers we should have 40M free cap space to spend on a QB.  Now we could resign Rivers to another one year deal, let Autry walk assuming that Al Muhammad is ready to take over full-time.  Houston would also have to be let go and figure will have to take Jaelan Phillips to replace Houston in Round 1.  Pascal would than be able to get paid rather than tendering him.  Brissett is gone along with most of the pending CB FAs upcoming.  Guessing we should have 16.5m left over for draft class signings.  Although Stafford probably cost us an additional 2-3m in cap space over Rivers.  Also assuming AC retires which will free up 16m otherwise the Club will be looking for lose change in the empty stadium seats.  Sad reality is we are going to be in a world of hurt this offseason trying to determine which pay the Club will take.  We just won't have a lot of available money to play with.  I wouldn't be surprised that we pay Brissett backup pay and start him.  Haven't looked at next year's draft class to see what QBs might be available.  Just don't envy whoever has to make these difficult calls now that the season is officially over.

 

Luckily it should only take around 55-60m to resign players in 2022.  Namely Nelson, Glowinski, Leonard, Smith, and Hines.  Possible 2022 might have another QB in FA market we can go with.  It will be interesting to see what the Club ultimately does and the direction it will take.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also have to realize that the Lions would be on the hook for 19m in dead cap money if the do part ways with Stafford.  Yes they will get back 14m in cap savings.  The Lions are also sitting outside 10th to draft and figuring new regime coming in to town.  Really don't see Stafford leaving this season or demand to be traded which he has been on record about being a Lion.  Now next year would make more sense to inquire about trading for Stafford financially speaking for both our Clubs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Also have to realize that the Lions would be on the hook for 19m in dead cap money if the do part ways with Stafford.  Yes they will get back 14m in cap savings.  The Lions are also sitting outside 10th to draft and figuring new regime coming in to town.  Really don't see Stafford leaving this season or demand to be traded which he has been on record about being a Lion.  Now next year would make more sense to inquire about trading for Stafford financially speaking for both our Clubs.

I don't think so.  Our 1st rd pick could help them move up and get their new QB with a new coach and GM.  Everybody gets a fresh start.  Waiting a year makes no sense.  They should move up and get a QB when they are drafting this low.  Get the ball rolling.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

That works for me if they would do it.  The cost will not be that astronomical.  Just get him.  

Unfortunately, that probably wouldn't be enough. But exploring Stafford's availability 

and compensation cost would be at the top of my to do list at QB if I'm Ballard.  

'

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Unfortunately after resigning players we will not have that much available cap space to go after a big name signing.  Next year after running the numbers we should have 40M free cap space to spend on a QB.  Now we could resign Rivers to another one year deal, let Autry walk assuming that Al Muhammad is ready to take over full-time.  Houston would also have to be let go and figure will have to take Jaelan Phillips to replace Houston in Round 1.  Pascal would than be able to get paid rather than tendering him.  Brissett is gone along with most of the pending CB FAs upcoming.  Guessing we should have 16.5m left over for draft class signings.  Although Stafford probably cost us an additional 2-3m in cap space over Rivers.  Also assuming AC retires which will free up 16m otherwise the Club will be looking for lose change in the empty stadium seats.  Sad reality is we are going to be in a world of hurt this offseason trying to determine which pay the Club will take.  We just won't have a lot of available money to play with.  I wouldn't be surprised that we pay Brissett backup pay and start him.  Haven't looked at next year's draft class to see what QBs might be available.  Just don't envy whoever has to make these difficult calls now that the season is officially over.

 

Luckily it should only take around 55-60m to resign players in 2022.  Namely Nelson, Glowinski, Leonard, Smith, and Hines.  Possible 2022 might have another QB in FA market we can go with.  It will be interesting to see what the Club ultimately does and the direction it will take.

How much money is allotted for the first round pick being where we’re at? Because if we trade it that would technically go towards paying his salary right? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Colts.sb41 said:

How much money is allotted for the first round pick being where we’re at? Because if we trade it that would technically go towards paying his salary right? 

Strongly suggest going to OvertheCap and try to resign players and mix-n-match different scenarios.  Soon will see the major issue this offseason and how little cap space we may have left depending on which paths you select.  Old normal rule of thumb generally keep 10m in available cap space to sign new draft picks plus have a little in reserve during the season for just in case issues.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, lots of guys are walking. I think if we aren't re-signing Rivers we are either 

 

A. Signing a cheap 1 year tryout QB

B. Signing a back and either:

1) letting Eason start

2)drafting a rookie to start. I don't see us going the long term veteran route. It's too risky for the team.

 

The best case scenario for this team right now is to get a great qb on a rookie contract. We we can afford to re-sign our big names and extend our playoff window. Then the rookie contract will buy time for Ballard to draft replacements for extensions we just can't afford. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't realize Matt Stafford has a Potential Out clause this year and honestly see the Lions just cut him to save 19m in cap space after finding no early trading partners.  Prior to cutting Stafford the Lions only have roughly 11.6m in available cap space to sign a bunch of aging veterans in their 30’s.  Cutting Stafford and now the Lions are looking at having 25m to play with this offseason and taking a QB in Round 1.

 

The more I think about it the Colts could go after Stafford, after he is cut, and give him more peace of mind with a better OL than the Lions in protecting the QB.  Stafford took a lot of sacks with the Lions over the years.  Will be hard to compensate him financially this year but next year we should have ~40m extra cap space after resigning top players upcoming in 2022 to give him a bigger Prorated Bonus/Roster Bonus.  Make a 25m offer for this year and add 10-20m next year blame Covid-19 for reduction in NFL cap spaces which is going to hurt a lot of teams this offseason.  Even at 25m based on earlier calculations from my other Keep/Cut post the Colts could potential have around 9m in available cap space for the draft omitting the two Steeler’s CBs.  Based on another projection of teams needing LTs we should still be able to find our future LT in Round 2 comfortably.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Before just assuming that Stafford will be available you have to realize that the owner of the Lions (Sheila Ford Hamp) looks at Stafford as a son. 

I was listening to an interview that JMV had with a Lions insider and it is common knowledge that the Lions owner and Stafford are very, very close. 

I have no clue if that would effect the Lions trading Stafford but it's something to keep in mind. Maybe the owners influence has a lot to do with the lack of success? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Before just assuming that Stafford will be available you have to realize that the owner of the Lions (Sheila Ford Hamp) looks at Stafford as a son. 

I was listening to an interview that JMV had with a Lions insider and it is common knowledge that the Lions owner and Stafford are very, very close. 

I have no clue if that would effect the Lions trading Stafford but it's something to keep in mind. Maybe the owners influence has a lot to do with the lack of success? 

Another way to look at Detroit:

Lions cap space issues 11.69m

 

Cut DT Nicholas Williams 31 - 16.39m (4.7M)

Cut DT Danny Shelton 27 – 20.39m (4m)

Cut LG Joe Dahl 27 – 23.27m (2.875)

 

Resign

29 - Duron Harmon 1 / 4.5m – 18.7m

25 – Jarrad Davis ... 

 

Laundry list of 30 somethings heading to FA

30 – WR Marvin Jones

33 – Edge Everson Griffin

35 – WR Danny Amendola

36 – K Matt Prater

30 – CB Darryl Roberts

35 – RB Adrian Peterson

31 – WR Mohamed Sanu

27 – Kenny Golladay – overpriced

 

Wouldn't surprise me to see the Lions trade back and acquire more draft picks to replace the heavy loses and keep Stafford on while they rebuild.

 

Draft

3-4 WRs

RG

LDT

RB

K - UDFA

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Before just assuming that Stafford will be available you have to realize that the owner of the Lions (Sheila Ford Hamp) looks at Stafford as a son. 

I was listening to an interview that JMV had with a Lions insider and it is common knowledge that the Lions owner and Stafford are very, very close. 

I have no clue if that would effect the Lions trading Stafford but it's something to keep in mind. Maybe the owners influence has a lot to do with the lack of success? 

 

Yeah, but business is business. I think the cut has to be done before June.

 

So, if I am Ballard, I would see what the Lions draft and if they draft a young QB, I would offer a 2nd and a future 2nd/3rd for Stafford. If we did the trade before the draft, it will cost our first rounder. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2021 at 10:17 PM, OhioColt said:

Unfortunately after resigning players we will not have that much available cap space to go after a big name signing.  Next year after running the numbers we should have 40M free cap space to spend on a QB.  Now we could resign Rivers to another one year deal, let Autry walk assuming that Al Muhammad is ready to take over full-time.  Houston would also have to be let go and figure will have to take Jaelan Phillips to replace Houston in Round 1.  Pascal would than be able to get paid rather than tendering him.  Brissett is gone along with most of the pending CB FAs upcoming.  Guessing we should have 16.5m left over for draft class signings.  Although Stafford probably cost us an additional 2-3m in cap space over Rivers.  Also assuming AC retires which will free up 16m otherwise the Club will be looking for lose change in the empty stadium seats.  Sad reality is we are going to be in a world of hurt this offseason trying to determine which pay the Club will take.  We just won't have a lot of available money to play with.  I wouldn't be surprised that we pay Brissett backup pay and start him.  Haven't looked at next year's draft class to see what QBs might be available.  Just don't envy whoever has to make these difficult calls now that the season is officially over.

 

Luckily it should only take around 55-60m to resign players in 2022.  Namely Nelson, Glowinski, Leonard, Smith, and Hines.  Possible 2022 might have another QB in FA market we can go with.  It will be interesting to see what the Club ultimately does and the direction it will take.

 

Isn't Leonard a free agent only after 2021 season? I think Smith, with our OL issues might be worth re-signing earlier than Leonard, IMO, if push comes to shove.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Before just assuming that Stafford will be available you have to realize that the owner of the Lions (Sheila Ford Hamp) looks at Stafford as a son. 

I was listening to an interview that JMV had with a Lions insider and it is common knowledge that the Lions owner and Stafford are very, very close. 

I have no clue if that would effect the Lions trading Stafford but it's something to keep in mind. Maybe the owners influence has a lot to do with the lack of success? 

I have read reports from Detroit where she has said she will leave the decision on the QB up to the new GM and coach.  I guess it depends on if they hire a GM and coach who want to rebuild around Stafford or a pair that wants to rebuild with a new QB.  What we don't know is where Stafford stands on remaining in Detroit.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I have read reports from Detroit where she has said she will leave the decision on the QB up to the new GM and coach.  I guess it depends on if they hire a GM and coach who want to rebuild around Stafford or a pair that wants to rebuild with a new QB.  What we don't know is where Stafford stands on remaining in Detroit.  

My personal opinion is I hope we get new blood in. It's tiresome for me to want another teams cast offs to be our starting QB. 

Eason or another young QB is IMO what we need. Fresh arm and fresh legs are in order. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, chad72 said:

 

Isn't Leonard a free agent only after 2021 season? I think Smith, with our OL issues might be worth re-signing earlier than Leonard, IMO, if push comes to shove.

Leonard, Nelson and Smith will all be FAs after 2021 season.  OvertheCap has the Colts projected to have ~155m in cap space next year.  Should not be any issue resigning all these studs next year and the Club should have ~40m remaining in cap space after re-signings. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...