Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It was a good season, but a bad year


Recommended Posts

True. And I have held the belief that this team, with Rivers coming in and leading a team he hadn’t played a minute with, during a pandemic with tons of restrictions, turned out pretty dang good. He was a huge upgrade, and the wins came. We are getting there. Cannot wait to watch Ballard and company work this offseason. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I was spoiled by the Manning era. But there was a time when I expected the Colts to win every game. SB or bust.

 

It's been way too long since we've been  in SB or bust mode.

Link to post
Share on other sites

what hurts so bad is the colts could of easily won the game. I expected the bills to win by 30  so i was calm during the first half of the game . When the colts kept it so close i really thought it was destiny and rivers would get his ring . if the colts can be a couple self inflicted mistakes away from beating the best team in the nfl they would easily win the super bow if they won yesterday .  I hope the colts can keep this team together the cap is a huge issue so many players are free agents next year it seems like half the team is a free agent and colts dont have a big salary cap to keep everyone .

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

what hurts so bad is the colts could of easily won the game. I expected the bills to win by 30  so i was calm during the first half of the game . When the colts kept it so close i really thought it was destiny and rivers would get his ring . if the colts can be a couple self inflicted mistakes away from beating the best team in the nfl they would easily win the super bow if they won yesterday .  I hope the colts can keep this team together the cap is a huge issue so many players are free agents next year it seems like half the team is a free agent and colts dont have a big salary cap to keep everyone .

Agreed, they definitely weren’t outmatched. The way they played against Bills and Packers makes me believe they could have won it all. 
 

You always think oh they were so close it will be so easy to return even better next year but it can be so hard. Just look at 49ers. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Agreed, they definitely weren’t outmatched. The way they played against Bills and Packers makes me believe they could have won it all. 
 

You always think oh they were so close it will be so easy to return even better next year but it can be so hard. Just look at 49ers. 

If they can get some of these guys to take a pay cut and keep this team together next year the passing game will be so much better after a full season . cambell will be elite wr when he comes back pittman will be much better and colts an replace ty with a true number1 . add mack who was a elite running back with taylor i think the colts can have a top 5 offense and defense next year. this team is just to young this year to many young players at key spots .

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Agreed, they definitely weren’t outmatched. The way they played against Bills and Packers makes me believe they could have won it all. 
 

You always think oh they were so close it will be so easy to return even better next year but it can be so hard. Just look at 49ers. 

If pittman catches the 4th down touchdown that rivers threw perfectly in his hands colts are up 17 -7 at halftime .  If we make the chip shot field goal and turray doesnt go off sides plus taylor catches the check down to get into field goal range that is a extra 17 point swing on 4 easy mistakes . colts win 37 to 23

  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, tucky89 said:

Maybe I was spoiled by the Manning era. But there was a time when I expected the Colts to win every game. SB or bust.

 

It's been way too long since we've been  in SB or bust mode.

Nobody is Peyton Manning and I have accepted that, even with him we only went to 2 SB's and won 1 so I just enjoy entertaining good seasons at this point. This season was that. I enjoyed Luck's 1st 3 seasons and his 2018 season. We should've won yesterday but didn't, it was a great game and Buffalo fans sweating the rear off until the end haha . They along with the media thought we would get blown out, we aren't Miami and not a pushover. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

If pittman catches the 4th down touchdown that rivers threw perfectly in his hands colts are up 17 -7 at halftime .  If we make the chip shot field goal and turray doesnt go off sides plus taylor catches the check down to get into field goal range that is a extra 17 point swing on 4 easy mistakes . colts win 37 to 23

You blamed everyone for their mistakes but Rivers. Go back and rewatch the plays. The pass to Pittman was far from perfect. There’s a picture of Pittman in a fully laid out dive and the pass was at his fingertips. So how was that perfect?  Put a little air under that and Pittman can run to it without any need to dive. Poor throw by Rivers.

 

Now for the drive where HotRod missed his fg. Taylor dropped an easy swing pass on 2nd down.  Clearly his fault.  3rd down Rivers AGAIN misses an open Pittman for an easy 1st down in the redzone that actually could have been another td if Rivers hits him in stride. Instead we had to go to 4th down and HotRod missed the fg.  So Taylor (a rookie) screwed up 2nd down. Rivers (future hall of famer) screwed up 3rd down. And HotRod (another rookie) screwed up the field goal.  All deserve blame.
 

But I hold my future hall of fame QB to a higher standard than 2 rookies in their first playoff games.  Turay’s play was inexcusable. Frank’s challenge was inexcusable. Overall, we beat ourselves with poor execution and focus.  That falls on the coaching staff.  If I had to rank the blame, I’d go Frank, Rivers, Turay, Taylor & Hines (drops).  Not saying they played terrible.  You check the stats you’d say Rivers, Taylor, & Hines played good.  Sure they did. Just not good enough when it mattered most. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

You blamed everyone for their mistakes but Rivers. Go back and rewatch the plays. The pass to Pittman was far from perfect. There’s a picture of Pittman in a fully laid out dive and the pass was at his fingertips. So how was that perfect?  Put a little air under that and Pittman can run to it without any need to dive. Poor throw by Rivers.

 

Now for the drive where HotRod missed his fg. Taylor dropped an easy swing pass on 2nd down.  Clearly his fault.  3rd down Rivers AGAIN misses an open Pittman for an easy 1st down in the redzone that actually could have been another td if Rivers hits him in stride. Instead we had to go to 4th down and HotRod missed the fg.  So Taylor (a rookie) screwed up 2nd down. Rivers (future hall of famer) screwed up 3rd down. And HotRod (another rookie) screwed up the field goal.  All deserve blame.
 

But I hold my future hall of fame QB to a higher standard than 2 rookies in their first playoff games.  Turay’s play was inexcusable. Frank’s challenge was inexcusable. Overall, we beat ourselves with poor execution and focus.  That falls on the coaching staff.  If I had to rank the blame, I’d go Frank, Rivers, Turay, Taylor & Hines (drops).  Not saying they played terrible.  You check the stats you’d say Rivers, Taylor, & Hines played good.  Sure they did. Just not good enough when it mattered most. 

i have been one of the biggest rivers bashers on here the whole season . When he throws 309 and 2 touchdowns to no picks its hard to blame him though .    The pittman play the line broke down and rivers ran back and threw it off balance and it still hit pittmans hands he needs to catch that .  Bottom line is the chip shot field goal and the offsides cost the colts the game it would have been 27 to 23 on that last bills drive where the colts sacked allen and stripped him colts would of had the ball up by almost a touchdown with 2 minutes left  and the bills would of had one timeout . the colts with one first down win the game .

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i have been one of the biggest rivers bashers on here the whole season . When he throws 309 and 2 touchdowns to no picks its hard to blame him though .    The pittman play the line broke down and rivers ran back and threw it off balance and it still hit pittmans hands he needs to catch that .  Bottom line is the chip shot field goal and the offsides cost the colts the game it would have been 27 to 23 on that last bills drive where the colts sacked allen and stripped him colts would of had the ball up by almost a touchdown with 2 minutes left  and the bills would of had one timeout . the colts with one first down win the game .


Don’t you think we’ve seen Rivers ceiling though?  He’s great at getting us into the right play.  He’s very accurate with short and midrange throws, and no one can argue about his competitiveness.  
 

But it’s pretty clear he doesn’t have the long ball anymore.  And his mobility....

 

I really like the guy, and I agree that we’re as good as the Bills (at least we were yesterday), but he’s not the future and he’s not going to be better next season.  I think we have to make the hard choice and move on.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:


Don’t you think we’ve seen Rivers ceiling though?  He’s great at getting us into the right play.  He’s very accurate with short and midrange throws, and no one can argue about his competitiveness.  
 

But it’s pretty clear he doesn’t have the long ball anymore.  And his mobility....

 

I really like the guy, and I agree that we’re as good as the Bills (at least we were yesterday), but he’s not the future and he’s not going to be better next season.  I think we have to make the hard choice and move on.  

If the colts had better weapons i feel like rivers can have a 30 td season still and would of put up better stats.  The main problem is his deep ball is short . yesterday standing on the 50 yard line he couldnt get the hail mary to go in the endzone it was 5 yards short he cant throw deeper then 45 yards .

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:


Don’t you think we’ve seen Rivers ceiling though?  He’s great at getting us into the right play.  He’s very accurate with short and midrange throws, and no one can argue about his competitiveness.  
 

But it’s pretty clear he doesn’t have the long ball anymore.  And his mobility....

 

I really like the guy, and I agree that we’re as good as the Bills (at least we were yesterday), but he’s not the future and he’s not going to be better next season.  I think we have to make the hard choice and move on.  

I think eason is gonna be great he is a first round talent and only played 2 years in college .  He only dropped due to rumors about him being lazy and not caring but ballard said it was false .  Next year he will be second string that means he gets all the reps when facing the defense to help them.  This year he only got mental help in scouting and watching film , but next year he gets tons of reps every day in practice a full offseason and preseason to watch him play .  I think by 2022 he will be ready and very good . sign rivers for one year we were two mistakes away from beating the best team in the nfl that proves the colts can win the super bowl with rivers . the year after that eason takes over

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

I think eason is gonna be great he is a first round talent and only played 2 years in college .  He only dropped due to rumors about him being lazy and not caring but ballard said it was false .  Next year he will be second string that means he gets all the reps when facing the defense to help them.  This year he only got mental help in scouting and watching film , but next year he gets tons of reps every day in practice a full offseason and preseason to watch him play .  I think by 2022 he will be ready and very good . sign rivers for one year we were two mistakes away from beating the best team in the nfl that proves the colts can win the super bowl with rivers . the year after that eason takes over

I’ve been pushing the stick with Eason narrative too.  Kid has never really gotten a chance to grow & play in the same system for multiple years since college.  He’s definitely got the arm talent & the pedigree. But think about this CoS. Just as we were 2 plays from beating Buffalo we were also 2 plays from getting swept by Houston and missing the playoffs with a 9-7 record. That would have been only 2 games better than a hard to watch Jacoby lead team that finished 9-7 with Vinny costing us 2-3 games...  So as good of a year as we had with Rivers, I think we still have more improving to do on the offensive side of the ball. No preseason or trading camp probably didn’t help this year. Gotta factor that in too. But this team is ready to win now.  We’ve gotta get the QB situation right. Be that Rivers, Eason, or whomever.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Of course that's within reason. Although... to be honest... I personally would draft one of the top 4 QBs if he falls even with Wentz on the roster... but I know I'm in the small minority here and I know Ballard would never do that. And I think it would be a mistake not to take him if he fell(Lance or Fields lets say) . Getting as many good shots at a franchise QB as possible to me is more valuable than a random late 1st DE or OT or WR or CB. Especially when you see what those QBs go for once they fail. Wentz failed and still managed to return 1st and a 3d. Darnold has been bottom 5 QB for his entire career and he still managed to return 2nd , 4th and 6th(this is about 1st round type value). QBs are valuable. I consider all top 4 QBs great prospects and amazing value at 21... so... if one of them falls... I run to the podium.   If Wentz returns to his MVP form... great... You have an MVP type QB and you have an amazing backup for a QB who's had injury problems for several years... or if he's amazing in practice and beats Wentz... maybe you trade Wentz. Or if he's good, but not better than Wentz I bet you can still get at least a second for him in a couple of years. And if Wentz fails you get a shot at a top tier talent with a modest investment.    So yeah... this is my line of thinking here. 
    • There are a lot of factors involved, but generally speaking, I believe,  a 2021 2nd round pick has the same value as a 2022 1st round pick..... so our 2021 1st round pick should be worth a 2022 1st round pick and additional pick(s).    But it takes 2 to tango and Ballard and another GM both need to be willing. 
    • "Best value" could be a trade(down ... or up?) too, I'm not excluding that. Because of the way NFL teams value picks IMO trade down should almost always be option no.1. Teams are gifting value trying to trade up IMO. So... I'm almost always team "trade down" if such opportunity presents itself.     
    • True oh and speaking of Ugoh
    • Need a emote in here that does #truth
  • Members

    • Melancholie

      Melancholie 3

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Swan Ronson

      Swan Ronson 46

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • stitches

      stitches 8,399

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DoubleE Colt

      DoubleE Colt 50

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtsGermany

      ColtsGermany 309

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CR91

      CR91 6,918

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...