Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 CB Competition

dw49

25 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I haven't been impressed with Ya-sin.

No one was impressed with Rock this year.

But we were in the 2nd half of 2019 when he was the highest graded rookie corner in the NFL. 

He did it once.   He should be able to do it again.   I expect him to start opposite Rhodes next year.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

But we were in the 2nd half of 2019 when he was the highest graded rookie corner in the NFL. 

He did it once.   He should be able to do it again.   I expect him to start opposite Rhodes next year.  

Like they say, you can’t teach speed.  He clearly can’t keep up with the faster WRs.  He’s going to have to improve his technique, but I doubt he’s ever anything more than an average CB.  

That’s okay, as long as he’s not costing us games.   

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I haven't given up on Rock yet. He looked really good in the short train camp we had.  I think confidence is a big part of playing CB and Rock lost his. I'm a big fan of Rodgers , but I think he needs to add some weight before he's a starter 

49 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I haven't given up on Rock yet. He looked really good in the short train camp we had.  I think confidence is a big part of playing CB and Rock lost his. I'm a big fan of Rodgers , but I think he needs to add some weight before he's a starter 

As you know, Rodgers is small...    you could say tiny.   5’10” about 175.    If he ever starts it would be at nickel where we currently have Moore.   I don’t see him ever starting outside at CB1 or CB2. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

As you know, Rodgers is small...    you could say tiny.   5’10” about 175.    If he ever starts it would be at nickel where we currently have Moore.   I don’t see him ever starting outside at CB1 or CB2. 

Yes he's small but has a good wingspan which makes up a little. I suppose that's why he lasted until the latter part of the 6th round. I think he's talented enough to play outside if he can gain 12-15 ponds without losing speed. But it's a bit of a long shot no doubt.

Rhodes - hope he is back

Rock - awesome in 2H of 2019, and has been good 4Q 2020. If the scheme is the issue, move to S?

Moore - ain't going anywhere, and should not move to CB2.

Carrie - much better NB than CB, and isn't going to replace Moore. Need to keep him as the 4th guys.

Rodgers - Love him, but can't see him quite yet being an every down CB. So small. Happy to be wrong.

Tell - Was already a convert form S. Very hard to see him contributing early next year after sitting out. Again, happy to be wrong.

Rock just was victimized on too many big plays. Carrie and Rodgers look to be at least as good with experience, but yes, we need one solid CB and possibly a safety (not impressed with Willis in passing coverage). Hope we get Rhodes back, and of course Moore. Blackmon will prove to be an excellent safety in time.  But we need a pass rusher to make all these DBs look better. Too many times, the DBs looked bad bc of no pressure on the QB.

I think RYS comes back next year.  We don't cut him.  He's still on his rookie deal.

HOWEVER

I think Marvell Tell and Isaiah Rogers both have legitimate shots at starting.

I would also advise drafting the 6-3 Israel Mukuamu in the 3rd round, since Xavier Rhodes isn't getting any younger either.  (I also think we re-sign Rhodes.)

Keep adding to the CB stable with young guys with the body type that Ballard wants.  We do have talent at the CB position, but not a true difference maker.  Keep getting better.  Keep providing competition.  We're not there yet, but we're not terrible.

I’d say Tell and Rock will be battling for it in the pre-season.  I hope they do sign Rhodes.  Probably depends on his mindset.  If he viewed this year a prove it deal to get another big pay day he could very well be gone with the other big name free agents the Colts have to address plus extending some other key guys (Leonard and Smith).  

7 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Rhodes is an All-Pro this year. He played his way to earn a good contract. Ballard usually doesn’t hand those out.

Rhodes made the Pro Bowl, which is a popularity contest at best. He did not make All-Pro, which is much more respected. I agree making the Pro Bowl increases his value, but not as much as if he'd made All-Pro.

18 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Rhodes made the Pro Bowl, which is a popularity contest at best. He did not make All-Pro, which is much more respected. I agree making the Pro Bowl increases his value, but not as much as if he'd made All-Pro.

You are right, just double checked. Good catch.

I get a really good feeling with Rodgers. Dude is a playmaker where ever you put him. Had a few great returns on the kick offs. When he came in for Rhodes, he literally had 2 picks in 2 snaps lol. Size is the only issue. I think if they had him in with teams who have smaller, pure speed guys, and he could just match that receiver all game.

Really need Tell back. He’s better than Ya-Sin straight up. Also have to look toward the draft. I like Jaycee Horn, Paulson Adebo, or Eric Stokes. Horn might be there when we pick in the 1st, but he’s currently CB3 so may be gone. Adebo could fall to the 3rd too.

15 hours ago, dw49 said:

Yes he's small but has a good wingspan which makes up a little. I suppose that's why he lasted until the latter part of the 6th round. I think he's talented enough to play outside if he can gain 12-15 ponds without losing speed. But it's a bit of a long shot no doubt.

Get that boy in the weight room, he has a nose for the ball. Hopefully we draft another CB early.

9 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

17 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Rhodes is an All-Pro this year. He played his way to earn a good contract. Ballard usually doesn’t hand those out.

I don’t think Rhodes will be a Colt next year.

we’ll need to look for 2 solid CBs for next year.

I thought our probowlers were Q., Kelly, Leonard.  https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-reveals-complete-afc-nfc-rosters-for-2021-pro-bowl

Our first team All-pros were Q., Leonard, Odum, Buckner.

Our second team All-pros were Kelly and Luke Rhodes.  https://www.nfl.com/news/2020-all-pro-team-donald-kelce-highlight-roster

Maybe I'm missing something, but the only Rhodes I see in there is our long-snapper, Luke Rhodes as a 2nd team all-pro.  Don't see Xavier anywhere.

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

I thought our probowlers were Q., Kelly, Leonard.  https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-reveals-complete-afc-nfc-rosters-for-2021-pro-bowl

Our first team All-pros were Q., Leonard, Odum, Buckner.

Our second team All-pros were Kelly and Luke Rhodes.  https://www.nfl.com/news/2020-all-pro-team-donald-kelce-highlight-roster

Maybe I'm missing something, but the only Rhodes I see in there is our long-snapper, Luke Rhodes as a 2nd team all-pro.  Don't see Xavier anywhere.

Thanks CBE, you're right.

In my defense I will just say I checked before I responded and found that Rhodes was, in fact, listed as a 2020 pro-bowler. Unfortunately I stopped there and my 2020-addled brain forgot this is 2021 and he was a pro-bowler last year with the Vikings. My bad!

6 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Thanks CBE, you're right.

In my defense I will just say I checked before I responded and found that Rhodes was, in fact, listed as a 2020 pro-bowler. Unfortunately I stopped there and my 2020-addled brain forgot this is 2021 and he was a pro-bowler last year with the Vikings. My bad!

No worries... for a minute I thought maybe he was named an alternate or something this year, but was having trouble making sense of it, since the game itself is canceled.  

Odd that he made probowl last year (when he kinda stunk) and didn't this year when he had a very solid year.  

Oh well.. I, for one, hope we bring him back as I think he fits very well in this D.

23 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Tell - Was already a convert form S. Very hard to see him contributing early next year after sitting out. Again, happy to be wrong.

Anyone see any news on him since he opted out? Hopefully he is using this time wisely to hone his CB game. Otherwise I could easily see him comeback be in bad shape and regression in his technique

Edit: I tried searching the internet but couldn't find anything

Rodgers made a couple of eye popping plays. Really think he could be the kind of guy we want on the field, with turnover potential.

Hope Tell comes back ready to go. I was a fan of moving him back to safety but I think we need all the young CB help we can’t get.

As for Rock...never been high on him but I hope he turns things around.

7 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Anyone see any news on him since he opted out? Hopefully he is using this time wisely to hone his CB game. Otherwise I could easily see him comeback be in bad shape and regression in his technique

Edit: I tried searching the internet but couldn't find anything

I've seen zero on him, which is what I kind of expected. Not sure of his story, or why he opted out, but really a bad move career wise IMO. He could have found a niche this year with all the musical chairs and injuries.

Need to:

1. Re-sign Rhodes. He’s the #1 CB.

2. Draft CB in first two days.

3. Look for a FA deal. Depth isn’t good enough with the current personnel. 
4. Pray that Rock and/orTell show up to play next year. One of them is needed. 

14 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Rodgers made a couple of eye popping plays. Really think he could be the kind of guy we want on the field, with turnover potential.

Hope Tell comes back ready to go. I was a fan of moving him back to safety but I think we need all the young CB help we can’t get.

As for Rock...never been high on him but I hope he turns things around.

This. He had two plays back to back where he almost had the int. He is fast and can run with WR. He has a knack for the ball.

36 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This. He had two plays back to back where he almost had the int. He is fast and can run with WR. He has a knack for the ball.

He is going to prove to be a major steal in last year's draft. Can he gain 15 pounds is the major question IMO

Archived