Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Today Is The 1St Day Of Offseason Workouts

Under the old collective bargaining agreement, NFL teams would be a few weeks into their off-season workout program. The new cba pushed that back a month - teams with returning head coaches cannot begin their programs before the third Monday in April...but today teams that changed head coaches in the off-season begin their off-season workout programs.

@JimIrsay

Well Russell Oppelt, there is a high energy buzz n Coltsland at W56th St, 1st day of off season workouts..Coach Pags has set the tone, New Era!

Phase One of the off-season workout program limits workouts to strength and conditioning and rehabilitation only for the first two weeks. Only full- and part-time strength-and-conditioning coaches with no additional duties are allowed on the field. Quarterbacks may elect to throw to uncovered receivers at this time.

Phase Two is a three-week period that consists of limited on-field work with coaches. Individual drills, offense or defense only drills (no offensive vs. defense), special teams drills (kickoff team only, kick return only, etc...) are allowed. Helmets are not allowed to be worn, so one-on-one workouts pertaining to pass rush, pass coverage, pass protection, etc...are not allowed during this phase of the off-season workouts.

Phase Three is the final four-week period of the off-season workouts. Teams are permitted to hold ten (10) days of Organized Team Activities (OTA), with a maximum of three (3) days the first two weeks and a maximum of four (4) days in either the third or fourth week, with a Mandatory Veteran Minicamp held in the other week. During a week with three OTA days, a fourth non-OTA workout governed by the rules in Phase Two is allowed.

No live contact or one-on-one drills are permitted in Phase Three workouts. Teams are allowed to do offensive vs. defense and special teams drills, provided no live contact occurs. Teams may also require players to wear helmets, but no shells are permitted in Phase Three workouts or the minicamp.

BTW: Free's Workout Routine

http://stacktv.stack.com/Football/Dwight-Freeney-Workout/Dwight-Freeneys-NFL-OffSeason-Workout.html

Never understood why the "offseason" has to be defined at all, to me if it isn't "the season" then it's "the off season."

Only thing I can figure is it's to protect the players from over zealous coaches working them too much.

Never understood why the "offseason" has to be defined at all, to me if it isn't "the season" then it's "the off season." Only thing I can figure is it's to protect the players from over zealous coaches working them too much.

There is your answer. It is there to protect the players from the team and allow them some rest.

If the team had their way players would probably be practicing the day after their season ended. With the grind of the NFL season the players need time to rest.

It is good for the league and the players. The CBA protects the team from themselves and gives the players some much needed rest.

Never understood why the "offseason" has to be defined at all, to me if it isn't "the season" then it's "the off season."

Only thing I can figure is it's to protect the players from over zealous coaches working them too much.

It's not that the off season is being defined as starting today--you are right, it starts when the season ends--what is being defined is what can and cannot be done and at what times they can be done in. but I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "...to protect the players from over zealous coaches..."

And it sounds like all of them were in attendance. Also, player's twitter feeds report that everyone is impressed with the new gym and the atmosphere that Sparano is creating.

I like the sound of that. It's important our new regime (as I like to call our basically all new staff--coaching and FO) create an atmosphere that has our guys excited. Excited players = hard workers, hard workers = thirsty for wins, thirsty for wins = giving 100% in games, 100% in games (+ talent) = wins, wins = playoffs...just saying there is a progression involved.

(please no one interpret this as me saying we will definitely be in the playoffs this year, that is not what I am saying. I'm just saying that success starts with the right attitude.)