Ohiocolt Early Mock Draft

R1 DE Rashad Weaver (Pittsburgh) – PFF First team. Replace Autry

R2 LT Walker Little (Stanford) sat out 2020 after being injured early 2019

R3 ILB Jahad Woods (Washington St)

R4 SS Divine Deablo

R5 TE Jake Ferguson (Wisconsin)

R6 CB Bryan Mills (North Carolina Central) - had 5 ints 2019

R7 best guess available player

In Round 1 really like LT Christian Darrisaw but after his Stud 2020 year he may just push Sewell as the top tackle taken and see him being drafted in the T10.  Tossup between Weaver to replace Autry or Jaelen Phillips to replace Houston.  Am going to assume we let Autry walk and retain Houston.  Autry played well in 2020 but overall hasn’t been as consistent as Houston.  In FA I am impressed with the Panthers Efe Obada who done well in limited action.  Adding Obada and Weaver should

Little sat out 2020 season which may help push him down the draft board.  Little’s injury history might cause some concern but after skipping this year expect him to be healthy and ready to go.  He has the potential as a run/pass blocker and was a top 5 OT projected last year heading into this draft class.  Overall I think Little has the chance to become our long-term answer at LT.

I know over the past few seasons I have been down on Anthony Walker in the middle and again am looking for someone who could replace him.  This year I am taking Jahad Woods who impressed me on film.  Appeared to be a solid wrap up drag down tackler.  One thing I noticed that stuck out was his ability to wrap up and tackle backwards to stop forward progress gains.  More importantly he has all the key statistical contributions looked for sacks, forcing fumbles and interceptions each year.  Another ILB that caught my eye was UNC’s Chazz Surratt.  Former QB who changed positions and looked very impressive on film.  Surratt needs to bulk up and may take another year or two to adjust to the NFL.  Another negative regarding Surratt is he will be 24 as a rookie.

The Colts should be looking to add depth to our Safeties at some point.  With Wilson in his 30s and Blackmon playing well this season both Wilson and Hooker should be released.  Deablo has elite size and excellent speed.  He is a very strong player and good tackler.  Even got a few chuckles watching game film where people would just bounce off him and drop.  Deablo is a bit tight in his hips limiting his range but will be a capable backup as needed early on in his career.

Round 5 we look to add depth to our TEs and target Ferguson.  Doyle should be out for the Colts and that leaves us with Trey and Mo as our primary TEs.  Burton guessing gets a year extension and Alie-Cox two years.  Ferguson has been statically limited due to Wisconsin’s run game but when given a chance he has proved to be a solid receiver and a decent blocker.

We could use some more depth and starting caliber CBs but with all the other needs I felt needed to be addressed CB wasn’t a top priority in this year’s draft.  Not many CBs stood out to me that have the Colts standards of creating turnovers this year.  Hopefully we can target in FA CBs Mike Hilton or Cameron Sutton from the Steelers or the Jets Brian Poole.  Unfortunately, each is a tad undersized per our Colt’s standard.  We obviously need to upgrade our DBs and FA looks like our best bet this offseason.  For a small school Bryan Mills has shown a knack for being around the ball and making plays.  On tape did like seeing him play tight and able to turn his head on a swivel but someone needs to teach this kid how to tackle.  Only got to see one play where he came up for run support but turning your back and throwing your body hoping to make a play I wasn’t overly impressed with.

Last round your guess is as good or bad as mine at this point.  Overall tried to fill the necessary voids and with our available cap space am hoping our Colts can acquire the missing pieces.

44 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Walker Little was never a top 5 guy and is seen as a 3rd rounder as of right now. There are better options imo that will be there before him. 

PFF write-up from June 2020 had Little Ranked 3rd.  Assuming which is why he opted out this season knowing he was Round 1-2 talent.  

Biggest question some were saying was his pass blocking  after he allowed 2 sacks versus ND but rest of prior season was solid against the pass.  

Otherwise Little has a solid skill set to be dominate in the NFL.  Would have been nice to see him play this season and refine his skills and prove his worth but still an option to be open minded about as a draft option.

48 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

A lot of reaches and drafting of positions not really need such as ILB and SS. Would rather focus on CB, WR, and OT in the early rounds. 

Wilson and Hooker are both FAs and don’t expect to be resigned so do expect use to need 1-2 replacements.  

Same goes for Walker do we resign him?  Personal am already on record rather not and draft another.

As for WRs it seems I am in the general consensus of the collective here feeling we have a solid group already in place.  Am not expecting to resign Hilton but do think and hope we can sign Golladay in FA.  If this happens than yes we should be set at WR.  Now TE is a different story we need younger better TEs but don’t see us going after one early this draft.  There is one TE I do have as another draft option in Round 2 but DE and LT are higher priority to me.

Drafting CBs is difficult with all the rules we have created severely limits who we can target.  Which is why we rarely draft a CB high.  6’ minimum with a 32” wing span and have history of intercepting passes/forcing turn overs.  I’ve looked over this draft class and none of the top CBs match these requirements.  At this point Mills was the closest match.

I like your overall decision making process, and prioritization of specific positions.

Some notes of disagreement

The Draft Network website has Rashad Weaver ranked in the late 2nd round, due to his injury history, and they also said he can get pushed around in the running game.  Of course, their ranking differs from PFF's.  I think that caution would be in order, considering the injuries.

I personally would rank our CB needs above any SS needs.  RYS has not progressed, and Rhodes is not young anymore.

Overall, kudos for your effort, and your mock!

6 hours ago, OhioColt said:

PFF write-up from June 2020 had Little Ranked 3rd.  Assuming which is why he opted out this season knowing he was Round 1-2 talent.  

Biggest question some were saying was his pass blocking  after he allowed 2 sacks versus ND but rest of prior season was solid against the pass.  

Otherwise Little has a solid skill set to be dominate in the NFL.  Would have been nice to see him play this season and refine his skills and prove his worth but still an option to be open minded about as a draft option.

Look at the PFF from September or October. They have him at #5 and now have him at #10. He could go in the second but watching him play last year he is always stiff and leans forward. A good rusher makes him look bad just in college. Pros it only gets worse. 

6 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Drafting CBs is difficult with all the rules we have created severely limits who we can target.  Which is why we rarely draft a CB high.  6’ minimum with a 32” wing span and have history of intercepting passes/forcing turn overs.  I’ve looked over this draft class and none of the top CBs match these requirements.  At this point Mills was the closest match.

There are quite a few that fit and we could target for 2nd through 4th round that look better than Mills in the 6th. 
Josh Jobe, Eric Stokes, Tyson Campbell, Derion Kendrick, Israel Mukuamu, Paulson Adebo. All have size and fit our system and criteria. I would love Asante Samuel Jr. as well. Looks good just like his dad. 

8 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

There are quite a few that fit and we could target for 2nd through 4th round that look better than Mills in the 6th. 
Josh Jobe, Eric Stokes, Tyson Campbell, Derion Kendrick, Israel Mukuamu, Paulson Adebo. All have size and fit our system and criteria. I would love Asante Samuel Jr. as well. Looks good just like his dad. 

Finally had time to go over your listing of CBs and must say am not impressed.  The only player who I think the Colts should target  to me that has Round 1 talent is Israel Mukuamu.  Derion Kendrick is maybe my next best on your list.  Adebo just seems too much of a liability getting beat on double moves and lack fluidity at best a Round 3 pick.

Was shocked to see Ryan Wilson on CBS have Derion Kendrick listed to the Colts in Round 1.  Chris Trapasso showing love to Rashad Weaver at pick 24.  Guess it all boils down to what is deemed most pressing and BPA.  We know that both our DEs are in their 30s and need to be replaced with youth which is why I have either Weaver or Phillips being our most pressing BPA pick as DEs.

8 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

Not a fan at all tbh. Alot of reaches early. I atleast like how you have your reasoning for it though. 

Also I like Ferguson too, but he announced the other day that he was staying in school another year.

Missed the feed on Ferguson going back to school.  The other TE as an Option B was Iowa State's Charlie Kolar dropping to the 5th Round.

4 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Finally had time to go over your listing of CBs and must say am not impressed.  The only player who I think the Colts should target  to me that has Round 1 talent is Israel Mukuamu.  Derion Kendrick is maybe my next best on your list.  Adebo just seems too much of a liability getting beat on double moves and lack fluidity at best a Round 3 pick.

Was shocked to see Ryan Wilson on CBS have Derion Kendrick listed to the Colts in Round 1.  Chris Trapasso showing love to Rashad Weaver at pick 24.  Guess it all boils down to what is deemed most pressing and BPA.  We know that both our DEs are in their 30s and need to be replaced with youth which is why I have either Weaver or Phillips being our most pressing BPA pick as DEs.

And this is why this time of the year is fun. Many differing opinions. There are quite a few people that would disagree with you but again everyone sees something different. 

The second round choice is probably my only concern. Just the player not the pick. I don't mind taking risks like that in the 3rd or later but 2nd is too risky and it's really too risky for a position we need depth at badly.

Otherwise I like it! I think it addresses 3 of our biggest needs right off the bat. I too am not a huge believer in Walker and while Okereke still has time to grow I don't know if he's a long term answer either. I'm betting we address the position somewhere within our first 4 picks.

On 1/7/2021 at 1:19 PM, DaColts85 said:

Look at the PFF from September or October. They have him at #5 and now have him at #10. He could go in the second but watching him play last year he is always stiff and leans forward. A good rusher makes him look bad just in college. Pros it only gets worse. 

If we’re talking about Little and last year, he was hurt in week 2 and missed the rest of the year.    

I have the same concerns about Little.   But the biggest concern is health.   If his medicals are good and he tests well, then the Colts may have to invest a 50-something pick on a player like him.   Yes, Little had flaws.  But can they be coached?   Cause you can’t coach 6’7” and 315.    Players that big that don’t go in the top-50 picks have flaws.  That’s why they fall in the draft.   If it’s not Little it’s someone else. 

The draft is hard.  Decisions like this can make or break a franchise.   

Archived