Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are getting majorly over looked.

5 hours ago, gspdx said:

Could have been.  But no Super Bowl victory.  I can tell you lots of hearts were broken because most people out there really thought they had a great shot with Joe at the helm.

They made it to the AFC Title Game in 1993, lost to the Bills. Still a very good year. Not saying you do but I rarely buy into the "SB or Bust" thinking. When you do that, 90% of the time people will be disappointed. I really have only thought "SB or Bust" in 2005, 2006, and 2009 because we were that great in those 3 particular years and had Peyton. We have had a good, fun season regardless of what happens Saturday. If we win Saturday we are really playing house money at that point because I still don't see anyone beating KC.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bills are a better team (objectively) and have been playing better over the last month. They also have the more capable QB at this point. It's not surprising that they are heavily favored.  

The Colts team that played the first half of the Steelers game is a SB contender.   The Colts team that played the second half of the Steelers game will get blown out and they should be over

Weren't you taking a break?

12 hours ago, aaron11 said:

there isnt much reason to pick the colts here unless you are a homer or have to make an upset pick.  its a 2 vs 7 seed, colts can win but they are favored for a reason 

It’s a 3 loss team VS a 5 loss team(with 1 loss being due to 3 key players with COVID).  Not really a huge difference between them as far as standings go.  

• Like 3
13 hours ago, stitches said:

I don't think the Colts are being disrespected. I think we are looked at exactly as the team we've shown to be so far. And the Bills have arguably been the best team in the NFL over the last 2 months or so. 

A stat that I heard today that might give us some hope - the Colts are the team that plays zone second most in the league. Josh Allen has been much less exceptional against zone than against man coverage - 18 TDs and 3 picks against man, and 3TD and 9 INTs against zone. 

So... yeah, I doubt the Colts are unaware of that and I'd expect them to play their regular zone coverage even more than they've been playing it so far this season and dare Josh Allen to "matriculate the ball down the field", rather than move the ball with explosive plays. 

This can't be correct he has 37 passing TDs and 10 interceptions. He also there 4 TDs vs SF who played zone the entire game.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They made it to the AFC Title Game in 1993, lost to the Bills. Still a very good year. Not saying you do but I rarely buy into the "SB or Bust" thinking. When you do that, 90% of the time people will be disappointed. I really have only thought "SB or Bust" in 2005, 2006, and 2009 because we were that great in those 3 particular years and had Peyton. We have had a good, fun season regardless of what happens Saturday. If we win Saturday we are really playing house money at that point because I still don't see anyone beating KC.

While I get what you’re saying about “SB or Bust” thinking, it’s also true that winning SBs is the ultimate goal of all 32 franchises.  If your team has an owner or a GM who says “We’re aiming to build you a team that can bring home a division title!”, probably consider finding a different team.

But, yeah, there are different levels of success. And an 11-5 season with an appearance in the AFCC certainly clears some of those bars.

That said, you’re right the past-prime Montana-led Chiefs lost to the Bills in the AFCC that year.  The Kelly-led Bills went on to lose to the Aikman-led Cowboys in the SB.  Both of which underscores my general point that, if you want to hoist the big trophies, you pretty much have to find an elite quarterback.  He certainly isn’t all that matters.  But your chances of getting there without him are slim.

Upset express!  I think the Bills’ big win in their last game could have been the absolute worst thing that could’ve happened to them.  Are they going to be believing their own press reports?  Are they going to be caught looking ahead to their predicted deep playoff run?  

A few interesting notes: in their three losses, Allen threw five interceptions.  MVP candidates don’t often have two INT games, but Allen had two of them.  And the Colts have the league’s second best turnover differential at +10.  Leonard, Buckner, Moore...we have some men on that D that play big in big games, and they are probably tired of hearing how good the Bills are.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, Archer said:

Upset express!  I think the Bills’ big win in their last game could have been the absolute worst thing that could’ve happened to them.  Are they going to be believing their own press reports?  Are they going to be caught looking ahead to their predicted deep playoff run?  

Kinda thinking this too.. I just looked back at their schedule. Before their last 3 games (that has everyone talking about them greatly) Everygame of theirs has been close, besides them getting blown out by Tenn. And their 3 game win murder streak has included Broncos, Patriots, and Dolphins. So this game will be close. We've had 4 Meltdowns in the past 5 games... or our games would've been the blow outs.

So I am thinking we can keep this close and hopefully.. maybe the defense can get a little magic again..

• Like 4
19 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Nonsense

Lets look at this objectively...

I dont think anyone can dismiss that 2 Colts team shows up each week and have all year- a first and second half team.  Why?

1. The players are loafing, out of shape or simply dont care enough to play hard for 60 minutes.

2. The players are not executing for a half.

3. The coaches are not preparing the team effectively and/or not making proper adjustments during the game. 

One of those is coaching directly and the other two are a direct byproduct of coaching. I doubt many, if any people, think #1 is happening. So how exactly, are the coaches not part of the problem?

Its evident that this team has Super Bowl talent and execution based on 1 half of every game but the fact that its consistently inconsistent is 1000000% the fault of the coaches.

I'd much rather be the underdog, and overlooked  than heavily favored only to crap out.

I hope we prove the naysayers wrong.   

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, Archer said:

OTOH, we beat the NFC’s #1 seed and killed Tenn (the first time).  Best team that Buff beat was either Seattle or Pittsburgh...

yeah i realize that.  i dont think the colts are being over looked though.  bills are favored with 67% chance to win.  i dont expect many outside of the fan base to pick us.

i think sos is relevant here to the OP, people would be picking colts if they held on against the Steelers.  blowing out the jaguars and hanging on vs the texans wont move the needle much 

3 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

While I get what you’re saying about “SB or Bust” thinking, it’s also true that winning SBs is the ultimate goal of all 32 franchises.  If your team has an owner or a GM who says “We’re aiming to build you a team that can bring home a division title!”, probably consider finding a different team.

But, yeah, there are different levels of success. And an 11-5 season with an appearance in the AFCC certainly clears some of those bars.

That said, you’re right the past-prime Montana-led Chiefs lost to the Bills in the AFCC that year.  The Kelly-led Bills went on to lose to the Aikman-led Cowboys in the SB.  Both of which underscores my general point that, if you want to hoist the big trophies, you pretty much have to find an elite quarterback.  He certainly isn’t all that matters.  But your chances of getting there without him are slim.

Obviously if I was a GM or owner my goal would be to win the SB every year. That is the ultimate goal but just because you don't doesn't means it is a fail unless you are just heavily favored like we were in 2005 and 2009. There may have been 5 people in here that picked us to win the SB before the season started out of 100 posters and 2 or 3 of them did it in a sarcastic way. But if we lose to Buffalo about 20 people will pile on with a numerous fail threads. The only team where it would be a fail if they didn't win it all is KC, they have the best QB and a stacked team like we had in 2005, 2006, and 2009.

I had us going 10-6 before the season so we already did better than I thought we would. Did you have us winning the SB before the season? I doubt it nor did about 95% in here, that is my point. I am just enjoying the ride and if we do win it all then that is the cherry top :thmup:.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Out of being curious, what did you think our record would be before the season started? Did you have us going 11-5? I even didn't, I had 10-6.

i said 9-7

3 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Kinda thinking this too.. I just looked back at their schedule. Before their last 3 games (that has everyone talking about them greatly) Everygame of theirs has been close, besides them getting blown out by Tenn. And their 3 game win murder streak has included Broncos, Patriots, and Dolphins. So this game will be close. We've had 4 Meltdowns in the past 5 games... or our games would've been the blow outs.

So I am thinking we can keep this close and hopefully.. maybe the defense can get a little magic again..

You do realize the Dolphins had the same record as you did and were in the playoffs while you were on the outside until we decimated their #1 scoring defense, which allowed you to get in?

Look. No Bills fan is saying the Colts are not a good team. We just feel we are an elite team and typically in the playoffs when good teams meet elite teams(especially the one playing better than any team in the NFL right now), the outcome doesn't go well for the good team. That's all we are saying. The Bills would be on an 11 game win streak right now if not for the fluke "Hail Murray".

Can you win? Sure. Nothing is guaranteed. But you will need a lot of things to go in your favor that typically don't. Probably will need to win the turnover battle by 2 or 3, maybe score a defensive TD. You are going to need to score points.  You are likely not holding the Bills offense down. Your defense is good but we have scored and scored a lot on much better defenses than they have.  

Bills also are the only team in the playoffs with a strength of victory over .500. We have beaten the Rams, Dolphins(twice), Seahawks, Steelers, Raiders. Bills played the 5th or 6th toughest schedule in the NFL this year.

We did lose to the Titans and Chiefs but there were some mitigating factors in there that are not in place now so I would love the chance to see those teams in the playoffs again.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So you should be jumping for joy that we are 11-5. That is a lot better than 9-7. Thanks for the honesty. I couldn't remember what you picked.

no problem, i have not been big on predictions this year but i did make that one before the season.

Im not really feeling one this week, just a go colts.  i dont expect many analysts to be picking us now but its not unwinnable 

• Like 1

I said before the year the Colts could finish between 10-12 wins. I felt that Rivers was in a bad spot last season with the Chargers and had a little bit left in the tank.

At this point, I'm just enjoying the ride this team is on. They made the playoffs and have a team that should be able to carry some good things over into next year.

My only concern is the coaching inconsistencies but the immediate future looks bright for this team heading into next year, regardless of what happens this weekend.

• Like 1
Just now, aaron11 said:

no problem, i have not been big on predictions this year but i did make that one before the season.

Im not really feeling one this week, just a go colts.  i dont expect many analysts to be picking us now but its not unwinnable 

I don't think anyone is picking us in the media, I haven't seen it yet on ESPN or the NFL Network.

1 minute ago, Dogg63 said:

There is a 0% chance that Diggs doesn't play Saturday.  He himself said he is "fine" in an interview. McDermott is taking this injury hiding stuff to NHL playoff levels. Beasley is probably a 50/50 shot but if I had to place a bet on it I would bet he doesn't go with McKenzie taking over the slot reps since he played so well in the finale against the Dolphins.  John Brown coming back last week and having no issues really helped.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It was a very good year.  But I can tell you the general expectation was a Super Bowl victory.  Anything less was considered falling short. So lots of people were very disappointed.

And the reality is I think that happens a lot.  As a fan when you think your team has all the pieces and they fail to win it all it is very disappointing.  We have experienced that with the Colts.

In 2006 - as well as this year - I don't have any expectations of a Super Bowl appearance, let alone a victory.  But we are in the playoffs and stranger things have happened.  

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

You do realize the Dolphins had the same record as you did and were in the playoffs while you were on the outside until we decimated their #1 scoring defense, which allowed you to get in?

Look. No Bills fan is saying the Colts are not a good team. We just feel we are an elite team and typically in the playoffs when good teams meet elite teams(especially the one playing better than any team in the NFL right now), the outcome doesn't go well for the good team. That's all we are saying. The Bills would be on an 11 game win streak right now if not for the fluke "Hail Murray".

Certainly grateful that Bills played well enough to win.   DVOA had Dolphins defense final rating as 11th best in football against 21st toughest schedule of offensive teams.  Colts defense finished DVOA at 7th against 15th toughest schedule against offensive teams.  Bills 12th against the 20th.

6.5 favorite at home seems about right.  Bills certainly more consistent but wouldn't say overall talent is all that much better.  QB edge is big if Allen continues to perform at same level he has been this year.  Colts were a bad 2nd half of football away from being 3rd seed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Lol I'm not predicting a win or anything, just feeling a bit better. And I could care less about the phins.  Vegas lost their mind and should've handled them the week before. EVERYONE knew they weren't gonna do anything.

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Can you win? Sure. Nothing is guaranteed. But you will need a lot of things to go in your favor that typically don't. Probably will need to win the turnover battle by 2 or 3, maybe score a defensive TD. You are going to need to score points.  You are likely not holding the Bills offense down. Your defense is good but we have scored and scored a lot on much better defenses than they have.  

Bills also are the only team in the playoffs with a strength of victory over .500. We have beaten the Rams, Dolphins(twice), Seahawks, Steelers, Raiders. Bills played the 5th or 6th toughest schedule in the NFL this year.

We did lose to the Titans and Chiefs but there were some mitigating factors in there that are not in place now so I would love the chance to see those teams in the playoffs again.

The Bills have been the laughing stock of the NFL for the better part of the last 1/4 century ,so, given the fact that they won a weak division, I can understand you declaring them as " elte"

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

But they both were at practice today. Media could only watch the stretching, so no idea if those two did anything more than stretch today.

11 hours ago, BillsMafia said:

This can't be correct he has 37 passing TDs and 10 interceptions. He also there 4 TDs vs SF who played zone the entire game.

This is my source. The stat shared was in the beginning of the video at about 2:30. I don't know why it doesn't come to the total number. It's possible in the rest they were playing against some sort of mixed coverage or hard to identify. 

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, EastStreet said:

It's a strange game for me. I'm getting ready to dig into unit ranks, stats, individuals, etc., but on the surface, I could see us winning big, losing big, or having a nail biter that goes to OT. 

If Diggs is out or limited, I really like our chances. Beasly, their #2 is DNP too. 

If Mckenzie is out or limited, that would be a big blow to their STs too assuming Roberts is not back to full health.

Injuries are playing into both sides tbh. Speaking of that, DeFo is questionable for the game with an ankle injury, that could be a big blow to us too. 

It's still Any Given Sunday though. 

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I do think we are better than the Dolphins but did need help getting in thanks to Vegas being a bunch of boneheads lol. I appreciate your help, we will see what happens Saturday. Can't wait.

• Like 1
On 1/6/2021 at 12:01 PM, Wes Heilman said:

Justifiably so. Came way too close to getting beaten twice by both the Jags and Texans. Relying on Reich to come up with a game plan to beat Buffalo is a guaranteed loss. 17-6 at the half, and 31-13 final, with the TD coming in the last 3 minutes with Buffalo playing soft. IMO, Reich is a really good head coach, but a really poor game coach.

I wouldn't read too much into the jags and texan games.

They are in our division and often in division rivalries records go out the window as the division teams can play each other close.

Case in point the bills barely beat the lowly 2 win Jets 18-10.

Allen was shutdown to zero TDs and there kicker had to kick 5 field goals to win the game.

No seriously 

So if the Jets can shutdown Allen why can't we ?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, adamthyst said:

Injuries are playing into both sides tbh. Speaking of that, DeFo is questionable for the game with an ankle injury, that could be a big blow to us too. 

It's still Any Given Sunday though. 

Looks like their WRs and Rs are improving. DeFo being out would stink, but I don't think it's a death blow. In all of their losses, Allen wasn't sacked a lot. They lost because they were playing good overall balanced Os. I just posted a stats dump with matchup info if you're into that stuff.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, stitches said:

This is my source. The stat shared was in the beginning of the video at about 2:30. I don't know why it doesn't come to the total number. It's possible in the rest they were playing against some sort of mixed coverage or hard to identify. 

The interceptions are more than he had all season lol something has got to be off. I just listened to what you heard. I can't take this guy serious he says Allen had 13 picks them his own numbers add up to 12. He's also fawning over how the Rams are the best zone defense in the league but doesn't mention Josh Allen threw 4 TDs vs them. So just between the 9ers and Rams he was 8 TDs 1 interception. 

On 1/6/2021 at 11:40 AM, TimetobringDfence! said:

I understand we haven't played at full potential this year. But we are loaded with talent and capable of beating anyone. So many media outlets are saying Bill's will take care of Indy easily. A lot of talk about the Buffalo Kansas City AFC championship game. Frank's needs to rally the troops come up with a full 60 min game plan. Let's have our best game of the year and get the respect we deserve. I believe we are gonna smack Buffalo in the mouth. I seen a pic where 10 media members all picked Bill's over Indy. Buckner, Leonard, and the Dfront are gonna light them up. Go Colts!!!

I remember our SB run. NO ONE believed. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BillsMafia said:

The interceptions are more than he had all season lol something has got to be off. I just listened to what you heard. I can't take this guy serious he says Allen had 13 picks them his own numbers add up to 12. He's also fawning over how the Rams are the best zone defense in the league but doesn't mention Josh Allen threw 4 TDs vs them. So just between the 9ers and Rams he was 8 TDs 1 interception. 

Yea honestly I  hate the zone d. Allen will throw 7 tds against  it

2 hours ago, sb2001 said:

I remember our SB run. NO ONE believed. 

I actually did because we were due. We didn't dominate teams like we did in 2005 but we were still winning most games and finished 12-4. We were also undefeated at home that year so I knew any home game we got it was over. Once Bob Sanders came back that was the cherry on top of the Sundae. A lot of times it takes teams 2 or 3 years before they learn how to win in the playoffs, that was our case. 

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I actually did because we were due. We didn't dominate teams like we did in 2005 but we were still winning most games and finished 12-4. We were also undefeated at home that year so I knew any home game we got it was over. Once Bob Sanders came back that was the cherry on top of the Sundae. A lot of times it takes teams 2 or 3 years before they learn how to win in the playoffs, that was our case. 

I will add to this had Bob played all year I believe we could've been 14-2 like in 2005. We lost a couple of games where teams just ran the ball like crazy, with Bob in there that wouldn't of happened. 

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

Yea honestly I  hate the zone d. Allen will throw 7 tds against  it

I can't tell you what is going to happen but I do know those stats are incorrect. I'd take a win with zero TDs if possible