Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are getting majorly over looked.

TimetobringDfence!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I never mentioned us being elite. I just feel we are strongly being underestimated by the way some sports analysts are talking about the Bill's cruising by us. We are definately a few play makers away from getting there. We need a stud DE and shut down CB to complete the D. But if we had a Top 7 QB we would be An elite team. I only consider GB, KC, NO, and Buffalo as upper echelon. I would put us as a top ten team though.

I’d add Baltimore to your list.  They’ve looked fantastic of late.

I might agree that we’re a top 10 team.  No more than a spot or two outside it, anyway.

That’s very respectable for a team that had a backup QB starting last year and a 39YO veteran on a 1 year contract this year.

Just now, luv_pony_express said:

I’d add Baltimore to your list.  They’ve looked fantastic of late.

I might agree that we’re a top 10 team.  No more than a spot or two outside it, anyway.

That’s very respectable for a team that had a backup QB starting last year and a 39YO veteran on a 1 year contract this year.

I think Baltimore is only as good as Lamar. If he can consistently show he can throw the ball well in pressure situations I'd say they would be there. 

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

The Colts team that played the first half of the Steelers game is a SB contender.

The Colts team that played the second half of the Steelers game will get blown out and they should be overlooked.

Which team plays Saturday?

The problem has been that both of those teams have been showing up each week...outside of maybe the LV game. But in those other games...it was typically a bad 1st half and lights out 2nd half (with the other team playing poorly).

Against playoff teams...I think that is a bad formula for success. They have to play a full 60 minutes.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

I don't think the Colts are being disrespected. I think we are looked at exactly as the team we've shown to be so far. And the Bills have arguably been the best team in the NFL over the last 2 months or so. 

A stat that I heard today that might give us some hope - the Colts are the team that plays zone second most in the league. Josh Allen has been much less exceptional against zone than against man coverage - 18 TDs and 3 picks against man, and 3TD and 9 INTs against zone. 

So... yeah, I doubt the Colts are unaware of that and I'd expect them to play their regular zone coverage even more than they've been playing it so far this season and dare Josh Allen to "matriculate the ball down the field", rather than move the ball with explosive plays. 

Earlier in the season...the offense sputtered for a few weeks...and zone coverage was a big part of that. But it seems like they have adjusted to whatever issues they had. A big part of that has been Beasley's involvement...but Diggs has been basically unstoppable since then.

I agree though...Colts will have to play zone to keep their eyes on Allen (and likely spy him with Leonard or maybe Walker). The hope will be to keep the ball out of EZ...and possibly get a couple TOs. 

I hope we respond the same way New England did in the AFC Championship game at Gillete Stadium when the media hyped the Colts up for 1 to 2 weeks stating that New England didnt really have a way to slow the Colts offense. The Pats heard that so much that they got sick and tired of it and they pushed and punked us around the entire game.  They got there hands on us andpressed us, rerouted us, played bracket coverage on us and forced us to make tough throws. When we did catch the ball they tackled us extremely hard. In the secondary im hoping we take the same approach on Saturday.

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

If the Colts go heavy, lean on the run and keep Allen from getting extra possessions, they can win. Similar to what we thought the Luck lead offense should have done in KC a few years ago, what JB did leading the offense in KC last year. 

Have to keep them on their side of the field...and shut down those first few possessions (or at least hold them to FGs).

Because if they get up a couple of TDs early...ball control offense goes out the window...because BUF won't stop trying to score.

And I don't think Rivers can play Allen's game...not against a pretty good pass defense that has been excellent in recent weeks and can force TOs. That just seems like a recipe for a frustrating blowout.

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

Oh how I wish I agreed.  But, honestly, we’re a few key players from being in the league’s upper echelon.  If we played Buffalo 10 times, I’m guessing the Bills would win 7-8 of them.

That said, I think it’s pretty remarkable for a team to lose its franchise QB after only 7 injury-plagued seasons and go 11-5 just a year removed.  It’s a genuine accomplishment in such a QB dominated league.  And it says a lot about the folks we have in charge.

But let’s not overestimate where we are in the NFL pecking order.  We’re capable of playing with anybody.  But we’re not in the league’s elite — not until we can get a few key parts upgraded (one of them being the hardest position to fill).

It definitely speaks to the high floor of this team...that they can go 11-5...but there a handful of teams that have "lost" or replaced a "franchise QB" and were a playoff team in a year or two. Some did it the same year. It's the normal progression of competitive windows if you find a good QB. And it's not like Rivers is chopped liver...by most metrics...he was a top 15 QB this year.

I agree about the pecking order. When a team is the #7 seed and has lost to the #3-6 seeds (and hasn't played the #1-2 seeds)...it's pretty clear where they sit in that order. And the NFL odds (and predictions) will show that. However, we saw them be competitive in those games (except for maybe the BAL game)...so they are close. But the offense is how they will move up...and that won't happen until they find that QB.

I usually want our O out there to start the game. Score first and send a message.

I’m opposite this week. Hope Bills get the ball first and our D comes out and knocks Allen and Diggs and Singletary around. Force a turnover or punt and let them know this isn’t going to be Miami.

2 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

I’d say it was implied in saying that we’re being underestimated and overlooked.

You are assuming it's implied.  Be careful with that.  You know what they say about assuming...

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

Have to keep them on their side of the field...and shut down those first few possessions (or at least hold them to FGs).

Because if they get up a couple of TDs early...ball control offense goes out the window...because BUF won't stop trying to score.

And I don't think Rivers can play Allen's game...not against a pretty good pass defense that has been excellent in recent weeks and can force TOs. That just seems like a recipe for a frustrating blowout.

Yes we aren't a team built to play from behind at all. If we go down two TDs we're probably toast.

The Bills have been playing great most of this season. I think they did the right thing keeping their starters in the last game to keep the flow going. I expect them to be a tough matchup. However, I feel comfortable about the Colts chances. 

We have a talented defense that ebbs and flows a bit, we just need them to get hot. Turay is starting to come on, Buckner and Leonard will make plays and Kenny Moore has been flying around. There is a lot of talent on that side of the ball. TJ Carrie and Rhodes have even been pretty good. It also looks like we are getting Khari back which I think is going to make a massive difference. 

Offensively I think we all know what we need to do. Run it down their throats. They have an average defensive line, we have MAULERS. Push them around, run up the gut, throw quick screens and to JT and Hines in the flat.

Our RBs and defensive line are going to carry us to a win this weekend. 

Bets

• JT's rushing o/u will be around ~85 yards, I'm betting the over. 
  • Hines receiving o/u will probably be ~24 yards. I'm betting the over.

I have been reading material over on the Bills boards and they are very confident in winning.  No doubt they have looked impressive and the fact they actually played some National Games  49rs, and Patriots with both being blowouts helped them get some deserved praise.  I don't think the Bills are 7 point favorite though looking at the match up.  Defense will look to get pressure up middle with Buckner.  Heyward was very effective against Bills in this regard.  If they double him that means Autry, Houston, Glover, Mahamed, Turay will all be one on one.  Leonard will be the spy on Allen so if he does leave the pocket he will force him to make a decision quickly.  Blackmon will double Diggs over the top and allow for either corner on him to have deep help.  Beasley is hurt and might not play.  Offense needs to run unless they have 8 in the box.  If they have 8 in the box then attack the defense on the edges with screens and short passes out of backfield to Hines.  Allen has looked great but has never won a playoff game so nerves could play a factor.  Colts should be loose since nobody gives them a chance.  I'll take the points.  

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

But the offense is how they will move up...and that won't happen until they find that QB.

I agree -- and I'm bracing myself for the very real possibility that it could be years before that happens.  More years than what the core nucleus of this team has.

Cycling through quarterbacks who range anywhere from below-average to above-average is the norm in the NFL.  You can go team by team and there isn't a single one that hasn't gone through such periods.  A few teams have been more fortunate than most.  The Packers come to mind.  Brett Favre started 13 games for them in 1992.  Since then -- almost 30 years later -- they've basically had two quarterbacks (save for the occasional injury)...and both of them are elite.

We've certainly been one of the more fortunate franchises.  Obviously, the Pats got to enjoy TB for nearly two decades -- and the guy he replaced was no slouch.  The Steelers have gotten a lot of mileage out of Big Ben, the Saints with Brees.

But how many meh QBs did the Chiefs go through before Mahomes fell from the sky?  Just off the top of my head:  Smith, Cassel, Huard, Grbac, Green, Bono, DeBerg, the list goes on and on.

I have a lot of faith in Chris Ballard.  But it's hard -- really hard -- to get "that guy."  It often requires a bit of luck.  And it's also hard -- really hard -- to win Super Bowls without "that guy."

2 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I have a lot of faith in Chris Ballard.  But it's hard -- really hard -- to get "that guy."  It often requires a bit of luck.  And it's also hard -- really hard -- to win Super Bowls without "that guy."

It's hard to win a Super Bowl with "that guy."  

Let's not forget the Joe Montana KC years!  I was a big Joe fan and lived in Wichita KS at the time and watched all the KC games.  He was just not the Joe Montana that had the magic in San Fran.

Just now, luv_pony_express said:

If I'm not mistaken, the Chiefs record in Montana's first year was.....11-5.

Could have been.  But no Super Bowl victory.  I can tell you lots of hearts were broken because most people out there really thought they had a great shot with Joe at the helm.

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think we have the offense that can keep up. Plus we give up way to many passing yards on defense.

I don't care if we give up 500 passing yards as long as we hold them to 3 instead of 7. The Bills are going to put up 24-35 points, if we win, regardless. IMO. We just have to hold them to a FG 2-3 times instead of TD's and score TD's ourselves. 

Lately we have had great red zone Defense if it wasn't for Willis being out the 2nd half of the Steelers game and all of the flags since week 13

I've been seeing a lot of posts on various social media platforms about how we're gonna get blown out by the Bills, and I don't really believe that. The Colts could very well win this game, or lose this game. It's just what team shows up in the playoffs, and hopefully it's the one where we played all 4 quarters of football.

That being said, I don't think we'll be down by multiple scores. Most of our losses, barring the Tennessee game, were close. 

59 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Could have been.  But no Super Bowl victory.  I can tell you lots of hearts were broken because most people out there really thought they had a great shot with Joe at the helm.

Just my point.  You can be a good team without having an elite QB.  But it’s rare for a team to be great without one.

And KC fans should’ve known that Montana was not the same player by that time...just like Rivers (who, IMO, in his prime was just shy of being elite) now.

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, this subject intruiged me to read the responses before I did. Just wanted to throw in my opinion. Going to go to 7-11 now to buy a scratch ticket with my mom.

Speaking of 7-11, Did you ever try their pressed Cuban sandwich??

Someone told me years ago their very good and had them couple times. They are pretty good if they press them for you. It's been awhile and I don't even know if their still available or in your area. :pie:

42 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Speaking of 7-11, Did you ever try their pressed Cuban sandwich??

Someone told me years ago their very good and had them couple times. They are pretty good if they press them for you. It's been awhile and I don't even know if their still available or in your area. :pie:

The only sandwiches I'll eat are PB&J and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. Other than that, I pass on everything else, as I'm very picky lol. Never even heard of the pressed Cuban sandwich!

1 hour ago, adamthyst said:

I've been seeing a lot of posts on various social media platforms about how we're gonna get blown out by the Bills, and I don't really believe that. The Colts could very well win this game, or lose this game. It's just what team shows up in the playoffs, and hopefully it's the one where we played all 4 quarters of football.

That being said, I don't think we'll be down by multiple scores. Most of our losses, barring the Tennessee game, were close. 

It's a strange game for me. I'm getting ready to dig into unit ranks, stats, individuals, etc., but on the surface, I could see us winning big, losing big, or having a nail biter that goes to OT. 

If Diggs is out or limited, I really like our chances. Beasly, their #2 is DNP too. 

If Mckenzie is out or limited, that would be a big blow to their STs too assuming Roberts is not back to full health.

3 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Yes we aren't a team built to play from behind at all. If we go down two TDs we're probably toast.

We came back from 14-pt deficits twice vs Green Bay. We were down 28-14 at the half and still won. We also came back from a 21-pt deficit against a decent Bengals team when Burrow was healthy. 

5 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

We came back from 14-pt deficits twice vs Green Bay. We were down 28-14 at the half and still won. We also came back from a 21-pt deficit against a decent Bengals team when Burrow was healthy. 

Yes but it's not as likely against Buffalos secondary, not saying it cant be done. Plus Rivers scares me throwing deep balls.

7 hours ago, The Fish said:

If the Colts go heavy, lean on the run and keep Allen from getting extra possessions, they can win. Similar to what we thought the Luck lead offense should have done in KC a few years ago, what JB did leading the offense in KC last year. 

What the early 2000s Pats did against our high-octane, Peyton-led offense.

This team is built for January football. I really don't care when these analysts point out how many teams Buffalo has blown out in the regular season. Records reset and it's a whole 'nother ballgame in the postseason.

9 hours ago, coming on strong said:

That’s because Allen thrives on deep shots when teams make him go on 17 play drives taking small shots all game he struggles . Colts defense is designed at doing exactly that .

Actually, I beleive Allan has been more accurate on short routes than the deep ball

Allen and the Bills can absolutely lose this game. They're a young up and coming team and wouldn't be the first to fall flat on their face versus what would seem to be an inferior opponent in the playoffs. Our own playoff history shows that. 

Staying positive here and hoping we're playing Divisional weekend.

I really believe in what im saying here. Allen is less effective when you get your hands on his receivers and press them. You have to knock off his timing along with some confusion of his reads. Basically the same stuff Bellichick used to do to Luck. Ive looked over different games and usually when you jam his receivers and disrupt the free release hes either going to take off running out of the pocket, get sacked, throw an incomplete pass or throw a completed pass short.

Pull up the Kansas City game to see what im talking about. KC pressed damn near every play. Buffalo barely had about 10 or so points going into the half and we know KC is not a good defensive team. KC won the game. My other thoughts are i dont think Buffalos D is as good as ours. We should be able to move the ball, sustain drives and put up points. Its a Leslie Frazier defense so im pretty sure im right.

Lastly besides me i believe it was Blueshoe who said Buffalo O line isnt elite. Watching them against San Diego the Chargers definitely had pressure. I believe our D line is good enough to do the same.

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

I really believe in what im saying here. Allen is less effective when you get your hands on his receivers and press them. You have to knock off his timing along with some confusion of his reads. Basically the same stuff Bellichick used to do to Luck. Ive looked over different games and usually when you jam his receivers and disrupt the free release hes either going to take off running out of the pocket, throw an incomplete pass or throw a completed pass short.

Pull up the Kansas City game to see what im talking about. KC pressed damn near every play. Buffalo barely had about 10 or so points going into the half and we know KC is not a good defensive team. KC won the game. My other thoughts are i dont think Buffalos D is as good as ours. We should be able to move the ball, sustain drives and put up points. Its a Leslie Frazier defense so im pretty sure im right.

If there’s one thing ya sin is good at...

6 hours ago, krunk said:

I hope we respond the same way New England did in the AFC Championship game at Gillete Stadium when the media hyped the Colts up for 1 to 2 weeks stating that New England didnt really have a way to slow the Colts offense. The Pats heard that so much that they got sick and tired of it and they pushed and punked us around the entire game.  They got there hands on us andpressed us, rerouted us, played bracket coverage on us and forced us to make tough throws. When we did catch the ball they tackled us extremely hard. In the secondary im hoping we take the same approach on Saturday.

then the refs will call unnecessary roughness and pi on us, cant win

Archived