Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

10 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

This Leonard guy is pretty good. I think we should keep him around.

Yup.  I think its safe to say i was wrong about wanting Harold Landry over him in the draft.

• Haha 1
47 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Yup.  I think its safe to say i was wrong about wanting Harold Landry over him in the draft.

A lot of us wanted Landry.   Good thing we aren't the GM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the flip side, Taylor got hosed for OPOW.  They gave it to Henry because he got past 2,000 yards for the year, but:

Henry - 34 rushes, 250 yds, 7.4 ypc, 2 TD, 0 rec.

Taylor - 30 rushes, 253 yds, 8.4 ypc, 2TD, 1 rec.. for 1 yd.

• Like 1
Just now, Archer said:

On the flip side, Taylor got hosed for OPOW.  They gave it to Henry because he got past 2,000 yards for the year, but:

Henry even said he was casting his vote for Taylor. 

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Archer said:

I agree.  I think the only possible argument would be the level of Defense each faced.  I have not looked up a comparison, only suggesting what may have gone through voters minds.

44 minutes ago, Archer said:

If this was week 1- 15, and no milestone for Henry, pretty sure it would have gone to Taylor. As for defenses, both Texans and Jags rushing D's are horrible. Jags gave up 153/game rushing, Texans 160/game.

• Thanks 2
9 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I agree.  I think the only possible argument would be the level of Defense each faced.  I have not looked up a comparison, only suggesting what may have gone through voters minds.

Just now, coltsva said:

If this was week 1- 15, and no milestone for Henry, pretty sure it would have gone to Taylor. As for defenses, both Texans and Jags rushing D's are horrible. Jags gave up 153/game rushing, Texans 160/game.

It 100% is because Henry got the 2,000 yards mark in the game - and i cant really fault the voters for it either.

Their performances were both pretty similar, even if marginally in Taylors favour. Henry's meant he hit that 2k mark though and essentially won the Titans the division as well as a result of their win. We'd be pretty annoyed if the roles were reversed if Taylor didnt win it with all of that in mind.

2k yards does NOT happen all that often guys, It's not like Henry didnt deserve it.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

It 100% is because Henry got the 2,000 yards mark in the game - and i cant really fault the voters for it either.

Their performances were both pretty similar, even if marginally in Taylors favour. Henry's meant he hit that 2k mark though and essentially won the Titans the division as well as a result of their win. We'd be pretty annoyed if the roles were reversed if Taylor didnt win it with all of that in mind.

2k yards does NOT happen all that often guys, It's not like Henry didnt deserve it.

Henry had the better season, Taylor had the better game. Henry even said it himself. Although Henry wins because of the 2k and because of his popularity

2 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

Henry had the better season, Taylor had the better game. Henry even said it himself. Although Henry wins because of the 2k and because of his popularity

Come on now, be real, the difference in their two games was marginal.

If Taylor had hit 2k and won the division off the back of his game and DIDNT get it, you'd have been upset. I can totally see why they gave it to Henry.

To say the 3 yards less on 4 more carries (when both had 30+ carries) really makes much difference is absurd. 

We'll ignore the 1 rec for 1 yard as that is about as statistically marginal as you could get for a stat for a RB.

4 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Come on now, be real, the difference in their two games was marginal.

If Taylor had hit 2k and won the division off the back of his game and DIDNT get it, you'd have been upset. I can totally see why they gave it to Henry.

To say the 3 yards less on 4 more carries (when both had 30+ carries) really makes much difference is absurd. 

We'll ignore the 1 rec for 1 yard as that is about as statistically marginal as you could get for a stat for a RB.

Honestly I don’t think I would have been too upset in that situation; I wouldn’t mind too much since my RB would already have rushing champ of the year

5 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

Honestly I don’t think I would have been too upset in that situation; I wouldn’t mind too much since my RB would already have rushing champ of the year

I'll approach it from this angle then.

Both performances were great and basically level.... basically. Both were against similar level defenses against the rush. Henry's won his team the division in a big spot. Taylor's snuck us into the 7th wild card spot. Context and importance of the game have to be taken into account too. Oh, and the Texans wouldve KNOWN Henry was gunning for 2K yards, so they KNEW those runs were coming, and Henry still got those yards he needed to break the 2K.

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Henry - 34 rushes, 250 yds, 7.4 ypc, 2 TD, 0 rec, 2 fmb, 1 fmb lost.

Taylor - 30 rushes, 253 yds, 8.4 ypc, 2TD, 1 rec.. for 1 yd, 0 fmb.

Great point.

I fixed it to show Henry had 2 fumbles, one fumble lost. Taylor had 0 fumbles. Taylor clearly had the superior game in week 17. I guess Henry got the nod because he broke 2k for the season...which shouldn't be part of the award criteria IMO.

56 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

which shouldn't be part of the award criteria IMO.

its just a vote with no real criteria other than what the voter wants to do.  season long awards like mvp are the same way

Yeah, I don’t really care about the whole award, but poor Taylor set a franchise record with 253 yards to win a win-and-you’re-in game and still didn’t get the nod.  Bad luck, I guess...

10 hours ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

Do the players actually receive anything for winning player of the week??? Or are we arguing over something they don't even care about???

I am unsure if they receive money for it (directly), but it's definitely a piece to put on their resume which also helps them reach a broader audience.  Indirectly, this can lead a player to get more endorsements and grow their own 'brand' which is becoming more and more common in the age of social media.  Additionally, it can help with things like probowl voting or allpro team voting (e.g., not every voter is watching every single game or play of each player throughout the season - if 2 players are fairly close in year end stats, a nod may be given to vote for a player who was 'player of the week' more times than the other player).  Ultimately, a big part of making it to the HOF is based on how many probowls and all-pros a player made throughout his career.  Additionally, players who make the probowl get paid ($61k for players on the winning team, ~$30k for players on the losing team -- some make make more if they had an incentive built into their contract).

On a side note, Taylor was voted the FedEx air & ground AFC player of the week:  https://www.nfl.com/voting/air-and-ground/ 

I could be wrong, but I'd think since that award is sponsored directly by FedEx, players probably get some sort of check from FedEx.

• Thanks 1